The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-09 08:48:26

Sabre

What am I?

First off I want to say that all that follows was copied and pasted from another topic, I am moving everything here, you will see others' posts with their names listed above each separated by a line, enjoy and please leave any comments you may have.

Sabre:

Hi, this is a little hard to say but I have to say it, my curiosity has gone too far. I need to know if I may be something of a werewolf, this sounds strange even to type. Here is what I mean, lately some weird things have been happening to me, things that I can’t explain, I’ve done a lot of research and came up empty.

First of all I’ve noticed that I have been taking a strange liking to the moon and find myself constantly staring into it, and I can feel my expression going blank, no happiness, no emotion whatsoever, just a bleak stare, sometimes for minutes at a time, there was a full moon out tonight and last night and these “stares” have gotten worse. One thing that has come of it was that I can control my emotion at will, this sounds crazy but i can shift my entire emotion, I’ve practiced and in less than 10 seconds I can go from birthday happy to furious angry, it’s a strange feeling but back to the matter at hand.

Strangely enough I also have an urge to howl every night. During my nighttime walks sometimes I crouch down and have a pressured feeling in my chest. This all happens strictly by subconscious, I am not trying to do any of it, my head tilts up and mouth open into an oval shape and I feel I have to howl, but most of the time I am able to catch it before I let out any noise, to keep from being looked at like a weirdo.

In the last few months I have grown a liking to wolves, not just here and there but I’ve changed, I find myself needing to be surrounded by wolves and feel lonely even among company. The only company I like to be around is a few stray dogs nearby. I sit with them after my morning runs and relax, and feel at home near them oddly enough.

My entire life I have also had this feeling about dogs but more subtly. However, the strangest things, I feel I can communicate with them somehow, not really but more of them having an understanding of me and vice versa. I have been able to use this, I do some dog training of my own, not for money but for my neighbors and family, they say I’m great at it, I can train a dog with all the basics within 3 days, I’ve even considered getting a part-time job training animals, but is this normal?

I feel scared and don’t know what is becoming of me, I considered werewolf but thought it too extreme, but now what’s happened in the last few days, I guess I don’t know what to think anymore, my senses are becoming sharper, I can pick up on things so quick it’s scary, my morning runs easier, I shouldn’t be improving that fast, and now when I look at a dog and uncontrollably do the “stare” at it it tips it’s head down and looks away, why am I doing that?

Am I a threat to others? What am I becoming? Should I be afraid of what’s happening? I am joining the military soon and have to know, will I be a liability to my squad? Will I be a threat to my friends or family? Why is this happening now?

Please someone, I need answers, after a bit of research I came across the word Therian and was hoping this could be my answer, after looking a little more into it I found this forum. I am posting here because I don’t know what else to do, I need answers and fast. Please do not judge or criticize/ridicule me.

Thank you

punxnotdead:

Huh, well, that's a dusie. Personally, just monitor it. I don't believe in the existence of werewolves, but I do believe people can have psychological reactions. At work, I have the urge to lope on hands and feet because, GOSH, it would be so much faster. Anywho, I'm sure it's nothing too severe, perhaps just a few changes, and probably for the better!

Also, not to be nitpicky, but this should have gone in the Werewolf misc section wink

Sabre:

Sorry, that's my fault, thank you for replying.

AshenWolf:

i thik you might be a therian,
but dont worry, we wont judge or criticize you here. smile

TheGremlin:

Hmmm...honestly I couldn't really say, I don't think I have the knowledge to really have much of an input for your situation. If you ask within the Therianthropy section,you should be able to get a few more answers.

About the 'stare' thing with dogs, I think that bit is a natural reaction for a lot of things. If a person started staring at me, I think I'd lower my head and look away as it'd be a bit intimidating. big_smile

I consider myself a Therian, but theres a few things in what you said that aren't just 'wolf' or Therian characteristics exclusively, or not even Therian characteristics at all. The urge to howl I did have however, albeit it slightly different to how you described yours.

I'd take a look in the Therianthropy section, I found it really handy, especially the Therian FAQ, and after exploring there, feel free to post and I'm sure you'll get other people willing to help you with your situation. Best of luck!

Sabre:

Thank you very much, I'll copy and paste everything from here into that section, and my problem with the "stare" with dogs was not how they reacted, it was that I uncontrollably did it to them, their reaction I know is normal, it was submission as in instinct, but does that mean they're submitting to me because of random chance, or because of something inside me, I'm thinking way too far into this...

Thank you for reading and please post any comments you may have.

Last edited by Sabre (2009-07-09 10:46:18)

"Do not fear what you become, for you are no monster." -my mentor

#2 2009-07-09 11:31:49

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Re: What am I?

At the very least staring is an uncommon therian characteristic. Most animals try to avoid eye contact with one another as its a sign of aggression.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#3 2009-07-09 11:48:43

Sabre

Then what is it? What am I? Am I trying to be dominant, if so then why? My expression is blank, no emotion including anger.

Last edited by Sabre (2009-07-09 11:51:07)

#4 2009-07-09 15:53:29

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

Sabre wrote:

?What am I?

Now thats a question everyone here has asked or still continues to ask themselves to this day; the answer i receieved: you have to judge it ultimatley for yourself, you can take advice and input,but take everything into account, and decide whether or not you are a therian. Its a journey for yourself.

"It is better to be hated for what you are, than loved for what you are not."
                                                                                          -Andre Gide

#5 2009-07-09 18:03:29

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

It is something you do have to figure out for yourself. That doesn't mean you have to go off and 'soul search' or whatever that is.

Check out a few other questions people have posted in here...if you want you can always take a look at when I asked for a bit of advice too...I think my topic was called 'Your Personal Opinions...' it shouldn't be too far down, and I found the comments and advice I recieved to be of massive help.

Also, I'm not saying you are, but people tend to jump to the first obvious answer they can see. I could see why people may associate with Therianthropy before considering other options, as it does seem the most abvious:
Me howling? > Wolfs howl > Werewolf? > (after searching about on werewolves) leads to coming across the term 'Therianthropy'

I'm not saying that you've done that, don't worry. I think it's very useful to consider other factors that could be the reasons behind your behaviors and feelings and such. Again, I can't really suggest what it could be, as it's something you gotta really figure out for yourself...they're your feelings and such after all. lol

Sorry to give yet another 'wishy washy' answer...I tend to be good at those! Feel free to email me if you want any help with anything, or just post back here of course!

Best of luck! ^_^

Maybe it's not my weekend
But it's gonna be my year

#6 2009-07-11 12:11:17

Sabre

Hey guys,

I've been doing A LOT of thinking over the last few days and I've come to a decision. I believe that I am a Therian, I have accepted all that has happened and looked deeper inside, drew some lines back and forth between everything and it led to the conclusion that a part of my soul is the essence of a wolf. Once I realized this I felt-for lack of a better word-complete. I now understand many things that have happened in my life and can relate all of it. This is not something I'm going to deal with, I am going to live with it. I may never fully understand it, but I don't have to, I know it is a part of me and am more than happy to know that I have come to terms with myself on this. Who knows, maybe my wolf-enhanced senses will get me ranked up faster in the military smile , more importantly help me save innocent lives.

Thank you to everyone who talked me through this and gave their input, all of it helped me understand more, every bit counts.

Last edited by Sabre (2009-07-11 12:13:51)

#7 2009-07-11 15:01:41

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

big_smile good for you! i came to the same conclusion after receiving the same advice not to long ago, so welcome to the pack!

-Andre Gide

#8 2009-07-12 01:59:03

WolfVanZandt
Website

Once I realized this I felt-for lack of a better word-complete. I now understand many things that have happened in my life and can relate all of it.

That's about the best criterion I can think of.

#9 2009-07-12 03:32:31

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

yup

-Andre Gide

#10 2009-07-12 09:34:45

Sabre

True but as humans we are raised to resist these urges and basically it's as if they never existed, you never do realize that humans even have primal instincts, humanity has apparently come to far for it and it is deemed as 'uncivilized' to even consider mauling a deer with your bare hands for a nice dinner smile but anyway these urges were nowhere near primal, when was the last time you saw any kind of primate (monkey, also human family) howling and staring at the moon? Either way if it is as you say it is then what could have caused these 'primal urges' as you call them to arise now, this far in life?

Please don't take this as mocking you I am intrigued by your comment and want to know more.

Last edited by Sabre (2009-07-12 09:36:19)

#11 2009-07-12 11:50:58

Sabre

Very deep, all I can say.

#12 2009-07-12 13:06:42

Sabre

It was very good, keep it up for others to see, I loved it.

#13 2009-07-12 21:08:43

SabreWind
Website

Ralphite you seem like an intriguing character.  Who would dare to mock you and if they do have you ever considered that those who mock are nothing more than the ones who understand the least of who and what you are?

The most interesting thing about being diagnosed with "Clinical Lycanthrope" is the fact that you're diagnosed with it in the first place. To some doctors it is some mutation or a disease, in other words a "Flaw". They will tell you it is unnatural to have diagnosed ______________________ <------(Insert whatever you would like there) from there they say, here is some medicine to fix your "Flaw", but it may cause ____________________<---------(insert your favorite medical side effect). All in all to me it is simply all a way to classify something that can't truly be classified. What we have is a gift, not a curse.

But I am not mocking this idea Ralphite or will I dare mock you, I simply say it because to me when i read that I feel as if it is saying you have a "Flaw" which in turn is like saying that I too have a "Flaw". I do not wish to lecture or criticize or of any sorts but the only thing I have to say is that too me it is like a racial slur.

I have much respect for you Ralphite and so I truly hope I was not offending you. I just felt the need to let that out.

It is not that one fears of becoming a the monster, it is simply fear of becoming something that society claims to be a monster.

Last edited by SabreWind (2009-07-12 21:25:51)

#14 2009-07-12 22:43:32

WolfVanZandt
Website

But just to clarify, are you saying that you're lycanthropy is a result of your fear of water, a defense against the fear,

or are you saying that you are a lycanthope by nature and that gave you a way to manage your fear of water?

#15 2009-07-12 23:44:22

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

when ive read about clinical lycanthropy, its sad all the cases recorded are those who are insane, not usually werewolves, or at least theyre exaggerated, considering the time period of most of those documents. Ralphite, i know you are clearly not mad, but can i ask how you were diagnosed?

-Andre Gide

#16 2009-07-13 01:34:27

WolfVanZandt
Website

It also needs to be said that clinical lycanthropy and werewolvery/therianthropy may overlap, but they're not the same thing by a long shot.

#17 2009-07-13 02:48:33

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

WolfVanZandt wrote:

It also needs to be said that clinical lycanthropy and werewolvery/therianthropy may overlap, but they're not the same thing by a long shot.

exactly, which is why i ask. in the case above, i think it overlaps, but clinical lycanthropy is usually insanity to thee point they believe they are full wolf and kill people, which, actually, wolves dont do

-Andre Gide

#18 2009-07-13 02:50:25

SabreWind
Website

Lycanthropy is simply an attempt to categorize what scientists claim to be an imperfection in "The Human Condition"

#19 2009-07-13 02:58:38

SabreWind
Website

Humanthropy at its best big_smile

#20 2009-07-13 08:47:23

SabreWind
Website

...much sadness

#21 2009-07-13 08:48:15

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

Always look on the Bright Side of Life? Too true! The Monthy Python one is great big_smile

That was slightly off topic....whoops

Maybe it's not my weekend
But it's gonna be my year

#22 2009-07-13 16:46:22

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

Ralphite wrote:

Huh, this is getting complicated so I'll keep to answering these questions from above. I think what it is, is that I was so afraid of so many things and when I saw that movie I must have seen a possibility for the first time, which was irrational already at the time but I became obsessed until one day it all just burst out of me right in front of my class mates and my teachers. I was sent to hospital and diagnosed of course with the slightly broader term 'schizo affective disorder' though my tendencies to 'clinical lycanthropy' have been acknoledged at the time they just aren't allowed to give that official diagnose anymore. I am now stable and healthy again on mood stabilizers and nowadays it just really helps talking about it in a kind of therapeutic way and I am glad there are sites like this one where people have a bit more unterstanding than anyone else. Here's another thankyou to all of you who replied.
Ralph

P.S.: What's a racial slur? Hope I havn't said anything wrong not knowing.
P.P.S.: For anyone who was worried I never actually gone to all fours it was all just in my head and I'm completely harmless and I never ever had any agressive thoughts.
The neighbourhood cats love me, I always give them some ham.

thank you, Ralph, ^_^ if its not too personal, what did you do in front of your class? I always used to bark and growl, but it left me for two years until i watched inuyasha, and t all came back. i wondreed for the longest time if i was overobbessing about the show, and at first, i was. i used to make mysef growl, then i stopped, and forgot about the show. But then i growled instinctively, which  wondered if it became habit. But i also yipped and did other wolf things i never practised, so i knew something just clicked back, it wasnt habit, i was reminded. after asking my parents, they said id done that all my life, it was absent for a few years though.

-Andre Gide

#23 2009-07-13 23:24:53

WolfVanZandt
Website

O.o

Why are they not allowed to give the official diagnosis?

My impression is that the cases where the two overlap are cases where the Therian came to the attention of the medical profession because of unrelated but consequent metal illness(es). In other words, the Therian may also have depression, not directly related to the therianthropy.

#24 2009-07-14 01:04:31

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

its possible. but hey, you're the phsychologist big_smile

-Andre Gide

#25 2009-07-14 01:33:21

SabreWind
Website

The mind works in funny ways

Board footer