The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#101 2012-06-21 04:22:03

Viergacht

Re: Viergacht draws monsters

This week's Werewolf Wednesday picture:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/172/3/9/werewolf_weds__6_20_by_viergacht-d54cksn.png

And it comes with a story:

The late November day dawned clear and unseasonably warm, but that didn't last long. Clouds began to drift in by the time she'd finished breakfast, great, thick, wooly, dark jeaps of them, hurried along by a biting wind. They jumbled together and sealed off the sky, pressing low to the ground and turning midday dark as evening. By the time the sun set the first flakes of snow began to drift down.

It would have been a good night for curling up with a mug of cocoa and a good book, but lycanthropy is never called on account of bad weather. She couldn't see the full moon through the curdled clot of clouds, but she imagined she could feel its presence, distant but ominous. Her joints swelled and ached, her stomach cramped, twinges of pain ran up and down her spine, there was a faint ringing in her ears and a tightness in the tips of her fingers and toes - the first symptoms of the coming change.

She paused in packing her overnight bag to massage her forehead, as if she could knead away the dull thump of her sinus headache. Perhaps it wouldn't have been a good night to stay in, anyway. Her cozy fantasy would have been spoiled by thoughts of her lover - no, she corrected herself. Ex-lover. Sometime friend, sometime rival. Inspiration for a long time, challenge for longer. She would have said soul mate, if she believed in souls.

It had certainly been nice, for a while, to have someone hang on her every word, attend to her every need, attempt to satisfy her every desire. But love turned possessive, need and inquiring, the three traits no lycanthrope's lover should display, not if they wanted a long and happy relationship.

Or life.

She bared her teeth in a mirthless grin. Despite the accusations and recriminations, she had no other lover. Lycanthropy was a lonely state of affairs. She had needs and desires that were alien to her human life, and no werewolf could give what her lover had demanded: the whole of her being.

She drove far out into the countryside that night, skidding and bumping along narrow laned hemmed in by trees and slick with ice, picking her turns at random. She’d heard rumors of werewolf hunters, but had never been bothered by them herself. Even werewolves enjoy a little gossip, and she figured hunters were nothing more than a story too good not to pass around. Still, it was better to be safe than sorry and not develop patterns of habit that could be predicted.

None of the woods seemed thick enough, tonight, none of the fields empty enough. The glow of the distant town's lights rouged the bellies of the low-hanging clouds, and following her no matter how far she drove.

Finally, though, her body made the decision for her. Her hands grew too stiff to clutch the steering wheel, and head felt like it was being squeezed in a vice, her eyes watering. She ended up in a narrow strip of forest bordering an apple orchard. She parked under the cover of the trees, covering her little hatchback with a camouflage tarp she’d bought at the army-navy surplus store. Then she stripped, having learned long ago that clothes did not rip off nearly as easily as they did in the movies. It was better to suffer a chill than to be nearly strangled by her own blouse collar.

The change was a few minutes off. She shivered, growling impatiently and rubbing her goose pimpled flesh, then began to walk briskly to try and keep warm.

Out here in the open, the snow came down harder, in hard little chips of ice that stung her bare skin rather than gentle flakes. It wasn’t accumulating, though, as the ground retained the day’s heat. She had never been in an apple orchard at night, in the off season. There was a fantastical quality about the squat trees with their dark, skeletal branches that seemed to reach and claw at her in the wind. Despite being in the open, she felt hemmed in, constricted, wrapped in a mesh of whipping tree limbs and blinding snow. It was hard to breathe, and she panted, puffing steam like a dragon. Her sharpening sense of smell could detect the faint, fermented sweetness of rotten fruit.

Maybe it was just the emotional intensity she had come to associate with her pre-transformation mindset, but something seemed unutterably sad about that. All that work and effort to grow a fruit that no one would ever enjoy. She reached out to run her hand along the rough bark of a tree trunk.

At the corner of her eye, something moved out of sync with the swaying branches. She froze, but at that moment all the little physical changes that had been accumulating throughout the day reached a critical threshold, and, like a cresting wave, crashed down on her and swept her human self away. She was thrown off-balance into a huddled crouch by the altered proportion of her legs. Her skin cracked under the strain of bulging, torquing muscle, splitting and peeling away to reveal the fur growing beneath. Her vision blurred as the plates of her skull ground together, collapsing and stretching out into a predatory shape to accommodate jaws filled with sharp new teeth.

She couldn’t make out the details of the tall, upright form moving toward her through the swaying branches and swirling snow. Frantically, she clawed at her own face, trying to hold back the transformation, to retain her human mind long enough to know if she was looking at a hunter or a lover, and what sort of end either one might bring.

#102 2012-06-26 21:31:33

Viergacht

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/178/7/9/werewolf_weds__6_27_by_viergacht-d554ap3.png

An early Werewolf Wednesday painting.

#103 2012-06-26 23:03:39

WolfMontana

Yeah, saw this on deviant art - love love love it

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#104 2012-07-26 02:37:31

Viergacht

The past two werewolf wednesday paintings. Both are on the goofy end of the spectrum.

"Yes, this is werewolf."

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7399u8w9m1r87aeeo1_500.jpg

Lorraine Baines as a werewolf.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7r3nbFIDc1r87aeeo1_500.png

#105 2012-07-26 18:18:04

WolfMontana

Never posted in response to your picture and story at the top of this thread - amazing work big_smile You're extremely talented!

#106 2012-07-27 12:41:28

Snuhwolf
Website

WolfMontana wrote:

Never posted in response to your picture and story at the top of this thread - amazing work big_smile You're extremely talented!

Very awsome indeed! I would totally date that chick...and then she'd rip my lungs out. smile

#107 2012-08-18 23:40:39

WolfMontana

Hey - congrats on the Daily Deviation over at Deviantart big_smile

#108 2012-08-20 15:02:12

Viergacht

I was REALLY surprised by that.

#109 2012-08-21 00:16:57

WolfMontana

Shouldn't be - your work is awesome!

#110 2012-08-22 12:35:57

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Bloody fantastic stuff, Viergacht. I want your were-babies.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#111 2012-09-20 14:26:54

Viergacht

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/264/f/8/re_animator_vs_the_wolfman_by_viergacht-d5ffpmj.png

. . . a movie I wish was made.

#112 2012-09-21 01:53:06

WolfMontana

Ha! big_smile Fantastic! Did you do the whole thing? Good to see Rick Baker's done the makeup effects in your movie wink Ha!! Bruce Campbell too?

#113 2012-09-21 15:17:12

The Busboy
Administrator

Very AWESOME looking!

#114 2013-10-07 01:23:53

Roi Doberwolf
Pleasantville resident
Website

Ahhhh your art is some of my favorite, and the most memorable werewolves I've ever seen. Beautiful work. <3

"Man is not a beast. Compared to man, beast are angels. Do they kill their own for the sake of killing?
Do they worship Satan? Man wrecks, and ravages, and calls the devil. But unlike beasts, and unlike angels...
Man can cry, and confess, and repent. Change, and begin again. GIVE THE DEVIL HELL!"

Board footer