The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-04 19:17:18

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

Steppenwolf By Herman Hesse

I stumbled across this book via a recommendation from a friend. Now it doesn't directly involve the Hollywood werewolf, but the nature of the books set up almost implies a potential Wolf Therian as the main character. It was quite a fascinating read, very deep. It gripped me from the start and does an excellent job at pulling you into the character of Harry Haller, The Steppenwolf.  It deals quite a bit with the darker events in life. It is not one to read when your not feeling down, as the content is quite intense in my opinion.

As for exactly what the content of the book is about, I believe the back does an excellent job at describing it so I'll just transcribe it here. wink

"With its blend of Eastern mysticism and Western culture, Hesse's best known and most autobiographical work is one of literature's most poetic evocations of the soul's journey to liberation.
         Harry Haller is a sad and lonely figure, a reclusive intellectual for whom life holds no joy. He struggles to reconcile the wild primeval wolf and the rational man within himself withough surrendering to the bourgeois values he despises. His life changes dramatically when he meets a woman who is his opposite, the carefree and elusive Hermine. The tale of the Steppenwolf culminates in the surreal Magic Theater -- For Madmen Only!
        Originally Published in English in 1929, Steppenwolf's wisdom continues to speak to our souls and marks it as a classic of modern literature."

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

Board footer