The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-08 18:14:36

Cratys
Website

So pissed off you....

So when it comes to shifting of any kind, can it be controlled by emotions alone? I've seen lots of posts where people talking about weird stuff happening only where they're REALLY mad. Such as eye color changing, the "full body cramping", "being forced on all fours", "punching through windows without a scratch" and my own experiences. When I try to will a "shift" it doesn't come that easily unless it's just a mental shift. But when I'm mad, I mean ultra beyond pissed I experience some of these things too.

Are they fueled by adrenaline? All imaginary?---note on that, when I'm THAT angry, then things like role playing are the LAST things I care about, usually I'm more focused on wanting to break something.

By the way I only get THAT mad when I'm in a situation that makes me feel trapped.

WVZ said even he has experienced one of these things-though not angry when he did. I've read a lot from those who experience these just walking around.

Anyway my point, does emotion strongly tie into shifting? (I'm sure it does by hey,) Comments please. big_smile

Last edited by Cratys (2009-08-08 18:14:59)

#2 2009-08-08 18:47:24

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

Re: So pissed off you....

I'm still not very 'experienced' on the whole shifting, although I have had a few, most being rather minor, with a few more prominent ones.

It does seem odd how, when people talk about shifting, the most common emotion associated with it seems to be anger. For me this isn't something I can get my head around, as I rarely ever display anger, or even get angry at things! However, I do think that emotion does play a big factor in shifting, usually involuntary shifting. For me personally, I find I get some form of a shift occuring when I'm in an environement, or in a mood where I feel at ease, comfortable and content. In my case, this is usually at my girlfriends place, that feeling of trust and acceptance I think alows me to feel comfortable, and I can just be 'myself' entirely. I have had slip ups though, which has created awkward moments...such as an incident whilst having my hair cut.

My point is though, yes emotion I believe does play a big part. Although in my case, and in my opinion, a lot of other peoples cases, anger won't be the main emotional factor to it. Feeling content, happy, upset...any, theres a vast amount of emotions a person can have.

A random thought thats just popped into my head: It could just be me overanalysing the idea of anger being this popular emotional trigger to shifts but, I think the image of a 'transformation' or shift, has been influenced by popular ideas that people are exposed to, and then anger just becomes the auto 'trigger' to shifting. Although it isn't a 'werewolf' or 'werecreature' example, "The Incredible Hulk" is one example of anger being a trigger to some sort of transformation, or a shift as it were.

Maybe it's not my weekend
But it's gonna be my year

#3 2009-08-09 00:10:39

WolfVanZandt
Website

I don't believe a berserker shift is a Therian shift - Mainstreamers have them too. But when Therians have them, they're colored by the fact of them being Therians. If I allow myself to "lose control" I will act like an angry wolf. i don't act any more like a wolf - I just begin acting like an angry wolf. I save such things for very special cases - I get pretty destructive.

I honestly think that a therioside comes out when it's needed. It's as bad to force a shift as it is to repress one.

#4 2009-08-09 00:57:55

Black Shuck
Website

I don't know about shifting and being angry but I throw my opinion everywhere else that I'd hate to spare this thread as well wink

I could understand losing control and something happening that is a shift, but I wouldn't say that every time one loses control that it would be a shift. Something specific would have to go along with it that would differentiate it from we Mainstreamers do when we experience similar levels of rage.

There's one time that I could have under gone a sort of shift because it was a pretty intense bout of rage and it over took me to the point that I wasn't even thinking about what I was doing-- I was just doing it. It only lasted a minute but if I had to define a "beastly" rage, that would've been it (however brief and mild <_< ). I think it would be more like the berserker shift that WVZ mentioned because I can easily see how it would benefit in battle. Even though it happened so quick, everything seemed so slowed down (it was like something from the Matrix, where you can just see what's happening and react accordingly). At one point I had fallen on the floor in the gymnasium and I had huge bruises on my knees but I never felt any pain from the fall.

I guess to try and steer my mindless rambling on topic, as a Mainstreamer I have been pissed off enough that I have brought on some kind of shift. Which now that I think about it, if this can be considered a sort of "shift" (berserking), then I really don't see any reason why a Therian couldn't get upset enough to provoke some kind of shift (like a mental shift or whatever).

"Would you love a monsterman?
Could you understand beauty of the beast?
I would do it all for you, would you do it all,
Do it all for me?" -Lordi

#5 2009-08-09 23:47:40

Illeana_NightRain
Website

Anger is a common trigger for shifting because it is an emotion that, when felt, is normally much stronger than other emotions. I would say a lot of the things like breaking stuff and punching through walls and glass is mostly adrenaline. Not all, but mostly.

Really for me, any excess of emotion will cause me to "shift." Extreme happy, extreme sad, extreme anger, and more commonly for me, extreme arousal. But for me, shifting isn't like anything actually physically changes. It's mostly mentally, that is, my wolf side and actions comes out way more. I can do this on will too, but that's because I spent years calling on my wolf to get me through a traumatic childhood. I don't get longer nails or hair that grows quicker. I don't get an excess of strength (anymore than a normal person would get from adrenaline) or anything like that. The only thing physically that happens for me is my eyes change to an almost glowing amber colour (which isn't much of a change because my eyes are already very close to that colour.)

South Paw, something I would suggest because I know it helps me is to meditate. (I'm a country girl who is also wolf who's being forced to reside in a city) Maybe a better way of saying that rather than meditate is...I don't know how spiritual you are or what you're belief system is, but I know I've learned how to put myself onto the astral plane, so I use that to shift and run. I've found it's the only thing that can keep my wolf side under control when I'm not in an extreme state of emotion. Otherwise I get incredibly restless, feel caged in, get a very bad temper, and I'm almost impossible for people to put up with. If you don't like the idea of trying astral or can't (I know a lot of people who simply can't get to the astral. It's something that takes a lot of practice) then deep meditation might help. If you let yourself fall into a deep enough state of meditation an envision yourself out in the open, shifted and running, it might help. Also, if you can work out it might help. I know for me if I get on a treadmill with my head phones in and just run, it also helps a lot.

"I haven't slept in what seems like a century and now I can barely breathe" -The Crow and the Butterfly, Shinedown
Apart, we are broken. Together, we are one.
Oh yeah...did I forget to mention that I'm unhealthily obsessed with bunnies?

#6 2009-08-10 23:23:31

Illeana_NightRain
Website

No problem.

I wish I could point you in the right direction for books and links online, but I never used such resources as I was lucky enough to belong to the Pagan community, so I learned everything first hand. I will try to go online and see what I can find for you that sounds viable.

"I haven't slept in what seems like a century and now I can barely breathe" -The Crow and the Butterfly, Shinedown

#7 2009-08-11 21:49:06

Crimsonwolf

Well that all depends on how you descirbe Dreamtime cause in the astral plane things aren't always what they seem and you have to have a pretty strong will to survive for a long time in that plane. I suggest that if you intend on going to that plane that you make sure you have someone experienced in being in that plane there with you. Now if you ever intend on trying to gain the ability to p-shift I have a few theory's on how to gain that ability two of which are extremely dangerous. I have yet to test it to make sure that either works but until that time I suggest you go about trying to control your emotions better so that such things don't occur in public.

You want to know about me email me and ask

#8 2009-08-11 23:27:56

Illeana_NightRain
Website

Southpaw, no. Astral and Dreamtime are not the same thing.

The astral plane is a plane other than ours. That is, you are actually sending your spirit into another plane. Dreamtime is the time in which you are in a deep enough sleep (called REM) where you fall into your subconscious and thus dream. Now, there are those that can dream walk, or put themselves in other people's dreams, but these people are few and far between. This world is just as dangerous as the astral, if not more so because you can easily get lost in another person's subconscious. Astral isn't as easy to get lost, but you do have to be careful because, although you regain the ability to fully shift along with all of it's benefits, other's there have also regained their latent abilities and can be quite powerful. Also, there are things that live solely on the astral that are very dangerous. If you can learn how to handle yourself and stay out of trouble however, it can be a pleasant place to be. Take in mind though that, as crimsonwolf said, you do have a strong will to to survive for a long length of time on that plane, so you need to try to not be there for too long. Best thing to do is have someone there who can pull you out of it (kinda' like wake you up, but not jarring. Just have them talk to you and tell you that it's time for you to come back and all of that.) or you can set some sort of alarm calling you back. The more you do it the better you are able to tell how long you've been gone and can come back. Also, a vast majority of people won't remember much of what happened on the astral plane once they are back on this plane, so don't panic if you do it and then don't remember.

I guess I'm making it out to sound scarier than it really is. But these are all truths, so you have to know them. I guess it comes so easy for me even though I'm so young because I was taught how to do it when I was only about 9 years old. It's the benefit of growing up with people who still believe in and practice older ways.

#9 2009-08-12 00:17:27

WolfVanZandt
Website

Nah, Dreamtime is the word given by the Australian Aborigines to the shamanic realm - I don't know why it stuck with me but it did. But Illeana is right - the astral realm and Dreamtime are not the same thing. The astral realm (where people go during out-of-body travel), is part of Dreamtime but there's other parts also. Your internal landscape also occurs in Dreamtime. In fact, daily reality is also part of Dreamtime. Dreamtime is everywhere that a shaman might go.

#10 2009-08-12 01:40:05

Crimsonwolf

I suggest and this is from personal experience that you learn basic magic, start with white magic since it causes the least amount of harm to the user. When I asked my teacher to help me go to the astral plane he told me the same thing and after I got the basics down he started to teach me. From what my teacher told me the principles of magic are the same as the astral planes, but in order to stay there for long periods like my teacher he told me that you then have to learn the ancient ways and when I say ancient I mean the you have to be able to actually be able to read and comprehend the ancient's language. I personally am able to stay in the astral plane for about 6 hours but that's only because I have started learning the ancient language. If you feel that learning from a shaman is the best way to go I'll check with my teacher and see if anyone is in your area

#11 2009-08-12 04:19:30

Crimsonwolf

Bigger boat?

#12 2009-08-12 15:00:22

Crimsonwolf

Ah well I spoke with my teacher and he said that all the more experienced shaman's in your area are busy right now but he did say that if you really wanted to learn that he doesn't see any problem with me coaching you through the basics though the only problem I see is I live n michigan and I am preparing my way of life to change since my daughter will be born in about a month

#13 2009-08-12 15:53:26

Cratys
Website

Yeah..my thread totally got hyjacked...But it's cool, I got some replies on my topic, it was interesting to read others accounts on being angry and what therian traits came through...maybe I can pretend to be busboy a moment and say the famous line...

"Topic please"

lol XD tongue

Any more accounts on hoe your therianism came out when you were angry? And shifts that took place during a moment of rage?

#14 2009-08-12 21:54:47

Illeana_NightRain
Website

One more offtopic post because it would seem I have no way of contacting Southpaw to give him the answer to the question he asked.

No, I don't have an account on werelist, though I suppose I should look into it. I've heard a lot of people talking about it. However, you can email me at unrequitted_dream@yahoo.com.

Okay. Back to topic.

I can't really think of any time in particular when my wolf came out when I was angry. Then again, I very rarely get angry. However, my wolf does tend to come out a lot during sexual acts between my mate and I. Again, never had a shift where like, my hands turned to paws or anything, but eyes change colour and I ACT more wolf. It's a mental thing. I do sometimes feel like I'm turning into a wolf, but it only feels, never is. Though that whole feeling like I'm actually turning into a wolf has never happened during sex (thankfully...I think I would honestly be kinda' freaked if it did.) that tends to just...happen sometimes.

#15 2009-08-13 13:45:30

Crimsonwolf

Sorry for getting off topic but as for getting angry and shifting I'm not sure if I actually shifted but I case very similar to your were you lost a pet I lost my dog and watched her die in my arms I completely lost it so I went to the one place were I can't be bothered the woods. All I remember is losing all control and things kind go fuzzy but after losing control I found myself about six feet from a patch of flatened grass were it looked like some deer had nested. Other than that I've tired not to let it happen but I will say after it happened I did consume about a half a slab of raw uncooked bacon and two bloody rare steaks I don't know why I consumed that much but after that happened I've never gotten sick for more than a day.

Board footer