You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-08 20:58:18

dyal

Van Helsing

What is your opinion of this movie?

#2 2009-08-08 21:07:46

SouthPaw

Re: Van Helsing

Guilty pleasure.  It was goofy, but fun.  The concept of that type of werewolf was interesting, with the skin tearing and all, but I had mixed feelings about the use of cgi.

#3 2009-08-09 00:15:37

Mymloch

The werewolves looked good for CGI.  The story was hoaky, but that was kind of the point, I think.  Also, Kate Beckinsale is hot.

#4 2009-08-09 01:59:10

ArcLight
Website

Pretty much crap. Kate's hotness was about the only thing it had going for it.

As much of a sucker as I am for anything werewolf-related, I've still passed up this DVD when I could've gotten it free.

"How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."
"Werewolves are BAD ASS." - Dean Winchester
Buckaroo Banzai - Highlander - Kolchak - Buffy - Doc Savage
http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant

#5 2009-08-09 19:28:30

Totalimmortal
HAHAHAHA...get it?

Terrible movie, but the werewolves did look pretty cool.

I'll come down and get you high.  Maybe sing you a lullaby.  Sing you to sleep, a sleep you'll never wake from.  Sing you to coma, so to speak.

#6 2009-08-10 01:35:01

Viergacht

Needed more werewolves.

#7 2009-08-10 13:36:12

zockereinstein

Perhaps not her best movie, but Elena Anaya is such a cute girl too...

#8 2009-08-10 13:39:53

fearless freak

there's a line in the outtakes that is rather amusing "i give you VAN HALEN!"

if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

#9 2009-08-10 17:03:27

Daninsky
Website

It was so-so, but essentially not half as fun or exciting as it could have been or as I would have hoped it to be.
I liked the fuzzy wolf design (*g*) and he does manage a few great shots but I thought Kate's role to be a great let down of the movie because she got reduced to a typical heroes love interest without any real story value.

Call no man happy 'til he dies

#10 2009-08-11 22:22:31

WereWolfH

<SLAPPING FORHEAD> I still don't get how people say this movie wasn't good. It's not like it was a comic and the people made something else out of the movie. The werewolf is one of the best werewolves I've ever seen. Now granted I can't watch the movie all the way through and Kate died bogusly (now if there's a sequel I got it, he needs a new woman every movie, but they should have referred to James Bond for inspiration)

to this day I can watch the beginning intro of the vampire brides and the WEREWOLF. When that wolf was in the house, that scared me (reminded me of Dark Shadows 90s version for some reason. Maybe because that was old school scary. You the monster, you try to plea and it just stares, then attacks.)

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

#11 2009-08-11 23:22:06

Delta Wolfman

WereWolfH wrote:

<SLAPPING FORHEAD> I still don't get how people say this movie wasn't good. It's not like it was a comic and the people made something else out of the movie. The werewolf is one of the best werewolves I've ever seen. Now granted I can't watch the movie all the way through and Kate died bogusly (now if there's a sequel I got it, he needs a new woman every movie, but they should have referred to James Bond for inspiration)

to this day I can watch the beginning intro of the vampire brides and the WEREWOLF. When that wolf was in the house, that scared me (reminded me of Dark Shadows 90s version for some reason. Maybe because that was old school scary. You the monster, you try to plea and it just stares, then attacks.)

You thought the trailer for the wolfman was bad but you think Van Helsing was good?

Holy shite.

#12 2009-08-12 19:52:13

WereWolfH

come on that clip of the "Wofman" running in the woods didn't look like a homemade video clip to you?

#13 2009-08-12 22:16:48

Viergacht

I dunno, that werewolf had a really tiny head. it was over-animated. too.

#14 2009-08-12 22:26:44

Black Shuck
Website

I thought they got better as the movie progressed. Like the first one had a really sleek head (it reminded of a Doberman o_O ) and then the second was okay, and then when Van Helsing changed that was the best one.

It's an entertaining movie, but I don't think it's fantastic by any means. I think it wasn't meant to be all serious, but I think there were parts that were funny that were definitely not supposed to be funny.

"Would you love a monsterman?
Could you understand beauty of the beast?
I would do it all for you, would you do it all,
Do it all for me?" -Lordi

#15 2009-08-12 22:39:13

Viergacht

I thought the gargoyle looking female vampires were a nifty design, but it really gave me a headache to watch.

#16 2009-08-12 22:56:32

Black Shuck
Website

I guess the design was cool. They just had this bizarre accent that I wasn't able to get past, haha.

I did find the idea that vampires give birth to sacs of... well, I guess still births basically, pretty interesting. Never really thought about vampire reproduction... except for the classic biting-and-becoming-one thing

#17 2009-08-13 16:00:24

Delta Wolfman

WereWolfH wrote:

come on that clip of the "Wofman" running in the woods didn't look like a homemade video clip to you?

You know why it looked like that?

Because it was being FILMED on a gently caressing video camera.

It was bootlegged from a comic con.

And no, even through the bootleg vision, nothing about that trailer seemed bad or off to me.

Most, if not all, of Van Helsing seemed bad to me. Because it was.

#18 2009-08-13 23:37:04

WereWolfH

Delta Wolfman wrote:

WereWolfH wrote:

And no, even through the bootleg vision, nothing about that trailer seemed bad or off to me.

listen stop being insecure. I have a right to my opinion and so do you. I wasn't referring to the actual vidoe camera but of the clip. <Do I need to break that down on a lower intellectual level for you to get? I can if need be smile>

Anyway look the writing's on the wall, this isn't all that b/c it keeps getting shelved and let's face it this rehash probably didn't need to happen. A lot of people are pissed with them redoing already done classics. IF they're gonna be done, by all means get the essence of it and do it right. Otherwise DO ANOTHER MOVIE  similar to it.  Deep Blue Sea what an excellent movie inspired by say Jaws and other sci fi movies. They didn't redo Jaws.

I'm all for this b/c it's a werewolf movie but dag people keep half #ssing the job and they're gonna get bad results (I.E. tank at box office)

For more on Wolf Man go to the Wolf Man thread please! This is Van Helsing.

And I liked the accents, I'm all for showing other accents than American all the time. I like that Harry Potter used British folk for instance.

Cheers

Last edited by WereWolfH (2009-08-13 23:38:03)

#19 2009-08-13 23:42:22

Totalimmortal
HAHAHAHA...get it?

Personally...I didn't like the accents because they sounded fake as gently caress.  If they sounded realistic, I wouldn't have minded it, but they simply didn't.  Kate Beckinsale did a horrible job and she's lucky that she's attractive, otherwise I would have looked away when she came on. hmm And again, those three vampire chicks...gah!

I'll come down and get you high.  Maybe sing you a lullaby.  Sing you to sleep, a sleep you'll never wake from.  Sing you to coma, so to speak.

#20 2009-08-13 23:42:49

Black Shuck
Website

I'm also all for using accents, but I didn't think the accents came off as Eastern European, which is what gave me trouble. Harry Potter people being British and thus having accent was pretty cool. Mel Gibson trying to do a Scottish accent in Braveheart gets props from me. However, I'm not really familiar with Eastern European accents and perhaps that's what causes my balking at it.

Last edited by Black Shuck (2009-08-13 23:44:00)

#21 2009-08-14 08:18:52

Daninsky
Website

I would have to watch Van Helsing again about the accent, couldn't say on the spot if they sounded too far off to be Eastern European. But think to remember that Kate's accent stood out to me quite a bit and not in a good way.

#22 2009-08-16 17:53:05

Delta Wolfman

WereWolfH wrote:

Delta Wolfman wrote:

WereWolfH wrote:

listen stop being insecure. I have a right to my opinion and so do you. I wasn't referring to the actual vidoe camera but of the clip. <Do I need to break that down on a lower intellectual level for you to get? I can if need be smile>

Anyway look the writing's on the wall, this isn't all that b/c it keeps getting shelved and let's face it this rehash probably didn't need to happen. A lot of people are pissed with them redoing already done classics. IF they're gonna be done, by all means get the essence of it and do it right. Otherwise DO ANOTHER MOVIE  similar to it.  Deep Blue Sea what an excellent movie inspired by say Jaws and other sci fi movies. They didn't redo Jaws.

I'm all for this b/c it's a werewolf movie but dag people keep half #ssing the job and they're gonna get bad results (I.E. tank at box office)

For more on Wolf Man go to the Wolf Man thread please! This is Van Helsing.

And I liked the accents, I'm all for showing other accents than American all the time. I like that Harry Potter used British folk for instance.

Cheers

Now look who's getting insecure, and with personal insults as well.

And you thought Deep Blue Sea was an excellent movie? I sincerely hope not.

And the last time I checked, you weren't a mod. You have absolutely no control over what people talk about in this thread.

#23 2009-08-17 03:23:46

Black Arrow

The CGI werewolves were very impressive, the best that I've every seen, although some of the clips could have used a lot more work, for instance the part were the werewolf is jumping up to try and get Valkan was very much a blur, as well as the part were it was chasing Anna, sharper detailing and better forming was needed and there are a few other parts were the form of the werewolf was a little obscure.

I personally prefer CGI werewolves when working with a CGI background it adds a realism that animatronics can not give you.

Not every movie is perfect and there will always be a mistake here or there, but overall it was very good.

I liked the movie a lot, it brought a new perspective to the whole werewolf vs vampire chronicles as well as giving the old time classics a new look.

#24 2009-08-17 06:35:29

Daninsky
Website

Delta Wolfman wrote:

And you thought "Deep Blue Sea" was an excellent movie? I sincerely hope not.

Hey! No dissing "Deep Blue Sea", that movie is a fun ride with only a few quirky effects that could have been done better.

#25 2009-08-17 21:46:10

WolfMontana

I personally enjoyed the flick, but recognized it's ridiculousness. Still, made me happy seeing Hugh Jackman get fuzzy wink

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

Board footer