The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-15 22:45:22

WolfMontana

Sanctuary

Hi all, hopefully this wasn't already posted in another thread.

There's a show on SciFi (ahm stickin' to the old name dagnabbit) called Sanctuary that has a whole bunch of interesting paranormal/supernatural creatures of myth and legend in it. The cast is pretty good, and the lady from Stargate SG1 is very watchable as usual and pulls off a remarkably good brit accent.

But the real draw for me - Henry, the geek werewolf, part of the regular case. big_smile The episode 'The Five' has his big reveal, and the next 'Edward' shows a full shot of the actual werewolf. It's pretty basic SciFi quality CGI (ie, they don't do fur, so it's a brown man shaped thing with a muzzle), but the stories are kinda cool, and Henry is really very endearing.

Here's the website for the show, the second season of which starts this Friday. The first season is now out on DVD.

http://www.syfy.com/sanctuary/

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#2 2009-11-25 22:44:11

WolfMontana

Re: Sanctuary

Also, the 6th eppy in Season 2 (Fragments) was an awesome one - had some interesting exploration of Henry's character and his wolfy side.

I have to say, I'm a little confused though as to his origin. Between 'The Five' and 'Edward' it's almost as if the writers changed their mind about his werewolf nature. From what seemed to be a normal (but secret) change situation for Henry in 'The Five' to 'holy-crap-that-was-my-first-time-and-I'm-horrified' kind of dealy in Edward. Which also doesn't work well with the 'she's been helping me understand what I am' for the past 4 years in the Fragments episode.

Also, the little wolf-boy origin shots seem a little off.

The way they've handled the change so far has been through computer morphing, outside of the occasional contacts.

But, cool character regardless and awesome acting by Ryan Robbins and the whole crew of Sanctuary. Good fun. big_smile

#3 2010-11-14 23:32:04

WolfMontana

Update on Sanctuary - this Friday's episode is a Henry-centric one (yippee!!) and the trailer looks like alot of fun big_smile Don't expect top-notch costuming, it's pretty much all CGI. But he's an awesome character.

Youtube trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8gyKR8C5Xo

Sneak Peek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pranO7YovE

If I'm the only one from this board watching this, it's a cryin' shame! big_smile

#4 2010-11-14 23:35:59

RadRed21

i on and off watch sanctuary. I can't seem to fully get into it, but I've seen the episodes dealing with henry. the cgi is what you'd expect from the network, but i agree the actor plays it well. I thought they had all but pushed the fact he's a werewolf under the rug, so good to see it's being brought back to the forefront

#5 2010-11-15 00:23:56

MarkOne
Website

You're not the only one who watches the show. I have both seasons on DVD and got to see the cast talk at a panel at Comic Con last July. The guy who plays Henry said at the panel that you will be seeing a lot of his werewolf side this season, so I believe the upcoming episode will be the launching point for what's to come.

There can be only one. MarkOne. smile

#6 2010-11-15 00:38:45

blackjack60
Website

Thanks for the heads-up Wolfmontana! I'll keep an eye out for the episode. From what I could glimpse, they seem to have a new, sleeker design for the werewolves.

#7 2010-11-15 22:01:13

WolfMontana

Radred - agree!
MarkOne - that would be awesome big_smile I mean, I understand everyone's got to get some screen time, but they could make more nods to Henry's abilities. I enjoyed the fact they brought up his sense of smell in the 2nd eppy (the one with freakish leotarded acrobatic zombie alien folks) (previous statement might not be 100% accurate tongue)
blackjack - that'd be awesome. smile They are still, from what I saw, tail-less, and highly dog-like in the head, but I'll takes what I can gets!

#8 2010-11-19 23:10:57

Viergacht

There's a lot of werewolfery on tonight's episode - you can catch the later show if you miss it.

#9 2010-11-20 00:08:28

WolfMontana

Watching the later show atm big_smile so freaking stoked!

#10 2010-11-20 00:11:02

RadRed21

I feel slightly cheated with henry's tf into a ravenous werewolf happened off screen, and i happened to have my back turned when he quickly did a tf in front of erika, so don't know how that was.

a good story though and nice that henry has discovered others like him and seems to becoming a sort of leader for his kind

#11 2010-11-20 00:46:12

WolfMontana

Yeah, enjoying it so far, although I really, really hate the fact that they used the word 'lycan'. tongue

#12 2010-11-20 00:49:47

blackjack60
Website

Yeah, they were all reversion transformations. Plus, the werewolves are pretty damn fugly, though that was perhaps intentional. They obviously tried hard with the computer graphics but I have to admit that CGI on that budget still looks insubstantial, glazed and over-slick. But I don't wish to come down hard on the show--they have to work with the resources they have.

#13 2010-11-20 01:06:52

MarkOne
Website

OK, saw the episode. Good storyline, which opens the door for some future story development down the road.

As for the look of the werewolves, yeah it is what it is. Although, it has improved somewhat over the look they had for the show back in Season 1. And say what you want about the look and the CGI, I think it was better than the look for that "original movie" Red they aired a few weeks earlier.

There can be only one. MarkOne. smile

#14 2010-11-20 01:20:54

Viergacht

I actually like the design, it's nice to see something different. The animation isn't very good, though, the model looks low-rez and lighting doesn't match the scene well. Kind of a shame.

I may have to watch this show regularly, had no idea there was a werewolf in it.

#15 2010-11-20 11:51:26

WolfMontana

Mission accomplished wink

I do like the fact that they actually used the word therianthrope. That was interesting.

I'm surprised at how schizophrenic the writers have been about Henry though. Every werewolf episode seems to have a different take on the character.

>>>>>>>>spoilers below btw, for those who haven't seen any other Sanctuary episodes

1st one he shows up in (serpent creature roaming halls of sanctuary) - he's been hiding it, but the impression you get is that he's been like this for a while and just deals with it. He's able to change and help Will, so he has some control.

2nd one (next episode with the autistic kid) - they act like it's his 'first time' (even adding a line to previous footage) and that he had no idea about it before, it's scary for him as he can't control it, he considers having surgery to stop it, then reconciles with his ability.

3rd one (episodes where Ashley and Henry are kidnapped) - the cabal are trying to make him change, and he doesn't want to, he fights it (course, they threaten to kill him after he does, which is a fairly effective deterrent), but starts changing. THEN he's able to use it a little to escape, and surprises himself.

4th one (the incredible episode Fragments in season 2) - apparently a lady doc has been helping him with his condition for a while (it seems like at least a year or two, maybe more, which completely contradicts the 2nd one) and at the end of the eppy, the husband tries to kill him, basically saying that Henry's wolf side would 'take care of me', suggesting an out of control wolfy temper.

5th one (this one) - he's in full control, he can change in a moment and change back (he's even acrobatic!) and is now a advocate for going wolfy.

So I'm confused. Although still very much enjoying the ride big_smile The guy who plays Henry is awesome in the role.

#16 2010-11-20 12:07:45

Viergacht

Yeah, I liked the actor.

#17 2010-11-21 20:16:11

WolfMontana

You know, there was another thing I didn't like about the episode (outside of 'lycan'), was the fact that all of the other werewolves were tech geniuses, just like Henry. *raspberry* No need to make them practically clones!

#18 2010-11-21 23:55:45

Viergacht

I DETEST the word "lycan'. At least pick a term that doesn't sound like crud growing on a rock (lichen). I call my werewolves "vargr", that's a word that sounds like a growl.

#19 2010-11-22 04:01:44

Reptile

Viergacht wrote:

I DETEST the word "lycan'. At least pick a term that doesn't sound like crud growing on a rock (lichen). I call my werewolves "vargr", that's a word that sounds like a growl.

It's a term the creators of Underworld created because the wanted to avoid the word werewolf so their movie didn't seem "trashy" -Gigglesnort- and it's caught on in much the same way Garou did in the ninties.

What's not to hate about it? tongue

WARNING: The contents of this post may be vitriolic and/or offensive to samurai warriors, ninjas, tough dudes, computer using felines and people with pure wolfy spirits. Viewer discretion is advised.

#20 2010-11-22 16:05:59

WolfMontana

Yep, freakin' Underworld. Thanks for the wall climbing lycan gorilla people. With mange!

#21 2010-11-22 18:28:47

Reptile

WolfMontana wrote:

Yep, freakin' Underworld. Thanks for the wall climbing lycan gorilla people. With mange!

I like the creature effects including the "lol, ugly ratcatgorilla mutants, lawls!". And some of the characters. I absolutly hate what it has spawned.

WARNING: The contents of this post may be vitriolic and/or offensive to samurai warriors, ninjas, tough dudes, computer using felines and people with pure wolfy spirits. Viewer discretion is advised.

#22 2010-11-22 19:00:24

Viergacht

The creature design wasn't too bad, except for the weirdly squared-off muzzles, nice to see something besides slavishly imitating the Howling *coughVanHelsing*cough*  but WEREWOLVES AREN'T GECKOS. Wall-climbing, ftw seriously.

#23 2010-11-22 19:07:05

Reptile

Viergacht wrote:

The creature design wasn't too bad, except for the weirdly squared-off muzzles, nice to see something besides slavishly imitating the Howling *coughVanHelsing*cough*  but WEREWOLVES AREN'T GECKOS. Wall-climbing, ftw seriously.

Well, we do see at least one vampire using the ability, I always figured it was a trait inherited from the original immortal species. They do say that werewolves and vampires have a common ancestor in the original film. We even meet one of them, Alexander Corvinus in the awful sequel.

And, again call me weird but I liked the squared off muzzle.

Anyway, at least we kind of have a reason for the Lycan's wall crawling as opposed to Van Helsing, where it just kind of came out of nowhere. Along with them bleeding green snot. (Seriously, what was up with that?)

#24 2010-11-22 21:49:34

WolfMontana

Viergacht wrote:

WEREWOLVES AREN'T GECKOS. Wall-climbing, ftw seriously.

Exactly. It's freaking irritating, and makes no sense to me. What's the instinct to run up a wall? When did they crossbreed with spider man?

And... uh, did you mean 'for the win' there, or were you going more for 'what the gently caress' and went all dyslexic? wink

#25 2010-11-22 22:03:16

Reptile

WolfMontana wrote:

Viergacht wrote:

WEREWOLVES AREN'T GECKOS. Wall-climbing, ftw seriously.

Exactly. It's freaking irritating, and makes no sense to me. What's the instinct to run up a wall? When did they crossbreed with spider man?

I can see where the ability to climb sheer surfaces would be useful in a firefight if your hands are to big and messed up to hold a gun. It may be less instinct and more them using their abilities to their fullest advantage. 

Back on topic:

http://sanctuary.wikia.com/wiki/Animus

Is this the episode you guys are talking about? I must have missed it. The werewolf looks...fairly muppetish.

Board footer