The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-24 23:11:09

Amarok

Monster Force Volume 1

Ow!  After years of waiting, Universal's MONSTER FORCE Volume 1 is out!

Set in the year 2020, the Monster Force is led by Professor Reed Crowley of Lovecraft University.  Whenever monsters appear, the team travels there in their "Batplane"-looking jet and fights with magic, psychic powers, and advanced technology.

One of the main characters is Luke Talbot, grandson of the infamous Lawrence Talbot.  He doesn't become very werewolfy, but there is were-action aplenty in some episodes (like "Stalking the Beast").

What amazed me when I first saw the series was that it a) is tied in quite closely to the Universal movies about Frankenstein, Dracula, etc., b) was surprsingly grim for a Saturday morning show, and c) it took its subject matter quite seriously, unlike similar efforts like "The Drac Pack".

Now if they'll just release Volume 2!

"No, no, go not to Lethe, neither twist Wolf's-bane, tight-rooted. for its poisonous wine." -- Keats, "Ode to Melancholy"

#2 2009-09-25 23:59:42

WolfMontana

Re: Monster Force Volume 1

Sweet! big_smile

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#3 2009-09-26 21:33:34

Amarok

Re: Monster Force Volume 1

I have to add a Buyer Beware to the above -- I wrote that after watching the first two episodes -- then my DVD player started freezing up on the third.  I cleaned the DVD and my player, but the problem persisted.  The disk absolutely refused to show "Return of the Creature from the Black Lagoon," which I was really looking forward to!  The only other episode that played was the last (out of seven).

I took it back to Best Buy and traded it for another one -- but it's freezing and skipping in exactly the same places!  I'm afraid it's a botch job by Universal Studios -- a complaint I've heard before (but never experienced) about their DVDs.  Or it might just be the shipment that came to my local Best Buy -- once again, Buyer Beware!

"No, no, go not to Lethe, neither twist Wolf's-bane, tight-rooted. for its poisonous wine." -- Keats, "Ode to Melancholy"

Board footer