Hee hee lol

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#77 2007-08-16 16:11:04

honestgeorge

Re: Skinwalkers : The Movie

From what I've heard this was another failure at the screen as Underworld was.  Guess we'll have to wait for Wolf Man 2008.

"Give me.....a keg.....of beer!"

#78 2007-08-16 19:43:48

punxnotdead

honestgeorge wrote:

From what I've heard this was another failure at the screen as Underworld was.  Guess we'll have to wait for Wolf Man 2008.

Yep, it hard to find a good werewolf movie these days.

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#79 2007-08-17 04:08:06

BlueEyesWolf

You're not kidding, brother! roll

#80 2007-08-17 12:31:01

WereWolfH

Underworld was a hit at the box office? what are you talking about?The only failure about "Underworld" is that it was too underground (all the merchandise like video games and stuff were released outside of the USA, and the prequel comic book on how Raize got to be a werewolf didn't get ANY PUBLICITY. it's a great read though. Definitely could still be a good series if the art is similar to the comic booklet on the 2nd dvd)

and

people complained about the looks of the werewolves (or lack of the werewolf look)

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

#81 2007-08-18 13:09:54

honestgeorge

I can only speak for myself obviously but I don't count Underworld in a discussion about good werewolf movies.  IMO that movie missed on all accounts, but I won't get into that here.  I've only ever re-watched two werewolf movies; Universal's The Wolfman and An American Werewolf in London.  I know people like Wolfen and The Howling but I wouldn't re-watch those two if I can watch AWiL again.

Now, I haven't seen Skinwalkers but the accounts of the story (what little there was), the editing required for the last minute PG-13 rating and the "Underworld-esque" use of gun play instead of werewolf combat (to save on money) make we not want to spend valueable time away from my kids to watch another "lame" werewolf flick.

Just my opinion.

#82 2007-08-18 13:40:55

WereWolfH

haha, sorry dude but Underworld rocked!!! you can see the box office results for yourself on boxofficemojo.com (and you know there was a sequel and they're filming a second sequel right)

what's avil?

Okay so I was convinced by someone else NOT TO SEE skinwalkers. I'm bummed, b/c it's like there are SO MANY VAMPIRE MOVIES, but the the lack of werewolf movies (and good werewolf movies at that!!!!) is unbearable.

#83 2007-08-19 08:41:31

honestgeorge

If some liked Underworld, fine.  My brother-in-law likes it too.  But notice after you say it was a good movie you go right into talking about box office results.  Freakin' Forrest Gump made a ton of money and I hate that flick.  Money made is no guarantee of quality achieved.  No matter what money it made IMO it was a bad movie and a worse werewolf movie.  But this opinion is only of the first, I never saw the second and will never see any others they make.

#84 2007-08-19 11:42:29

ArcLight
Website

Reading the books helped my opinion of Underworld. They should just let Greg Cox keep writing them and not worry about movies.

"How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."
"Werewolves are BAD ASS." - Dean Winchester
Buckaroo Banzai - Highlander - Kolchak - Buffy - Doc Savage
http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant

#85 2007-08-19 17:20:18

WolfMontana

Agree. I thought Underworld, and the sequel, sucked, though the vampires were handled well. Bill Nighy made one freaky recuperating elder. wink

#86 2007-08-19 18:56:55

honestgeorge

ArcLight wrote:

Reading the books helped my opinion of Underworld. They should just let Greg Cox keep writing them and not worry about movies.

Didn't even know there were books.  I've only ever read Murcheston, Silver Bullet and Moon Dance, I think that's the right title, H.P. Somtow wrote it.  Good books all three.

#87 2007-08-19 20:34:46

MarkOne
Website

OK, this pretty much sums how Skinwalkers is doing.

It didn't register in the top 10 movies this past weekend. Not even close.

There was no screening for critics to review. (That happens sometimes, but always a telling sign that it's a bad flick)

But where I live, this is the most significant sign. When the movie opened last weekend, it played at a few theatres near me. Now, it's not playing ANYWHERE in my area. In fact, it's not playing at any theatre in my movie listings, except one: A drive in.

I think it's safe to assume that Skinwalkers was a complete and total bust.

There can be only one. MarkOne. smile

#88 2007-08-19 23:37:26

WereWolfH

Well, wasn't that dude for Skinwalkers the creator of Halloween or something? So, I understand "okay we have a low budget, let's deal with it", but in this day and age you have to have publicity. I didn't know about skinwalkers until recently and I've never seen a trailer on t.v. for it. I think if it was straight to video it might have had a better shot, b/c you wouldn't need all that publicity, you'd just need a good box cover.

Oh and haven't there been several movies out lately where they weren't shown to the critics? First off critics are dumb these days!!! I'd not show everything to them too. They said Transformers was dumb and obviously that's WRONG since it's over 500 million at the box office. So... 

If I go and see it, it's because I wanna see Jason Behr without a shirt on!!!

Oh yeah, Skinwalkers was only playing at several theaters where I'm from. I was told it was dumb, but I wasn't given the specifics. I wanna know if it was good technically (correct lighting, good acting, good editing) and creatively (werewolf effects and makeup and storyline worked)

#89 2007-08-20 14:33:14

WolfMontana

Dude, just because a movie brought in a ton of money at box office doesn't mean it's a smart movie. Or even, a good movie. These days it often means it was a BIG movie, and that an incredibly rabid marketing machine was in play.

Transformers was not a smart movie. I could run off a ton of examples as to why. But, I had a great time watching it, because I loved them as a kid, and they didn't screw up the transformers themselves (though geez Jazz, could you get anymore stereotypical?), and there was alot of action.

Serenity, based on the series Firefly, got just over $10 million on it's first weekend I believe, and that movie was, I betcha, a hell of a lot better than Skinwalkers. Personally, I think it was alot smarter than Transformers too. wink

The numbers shouldn't tell you the quality of the film. Some critics are nitpickers, because they want to distinguish themselves from their peers, and take being contrary to an annoying extreme. Some however, know a piece of shite when they see one. I haven't seen Skinwalkers, so I've no idea, outside of what I've read here, what it's like. But I won't be basing my opinion on it's box office numbers.

(PS, here's some transformers trivia! Did you know that the voice of Optimus Prime was also the voice of the evil car KARR in Knight Rider? *gasp* wink )

#90 2007-08-20 19:49:14

WereWolfH

yeah, i knew that trivia. Never heard of Serenity. Is that the new one with Michelle Pheifer and Robert Dinero? I disagree though, usually big numbers either means everyone went to go see it or the core (fans) saw it multiple times.

#91 2007-08-31 02:20:03

ArcLight
Website

Okay...not many people had a chance to see it, and those that did didn't seem too impressed (raises hand) but I figured I'd point this out -

"Skinwalkers" props for sale:

http://www.premiereprops.com/index.php/ … /2a/page/1

So....if you've got a ton of spare cash burning a hole in your pocket, send it to me then use the rest to buy some movie stuff.

#92 2007-09-06 15:01:48

WolfMontana

... they want you to fork out $130 for a generic looking hotel room key?  o.O

#93 2007-09-06 15:51:01

CatWolf4891

WereWolfH wrote:

yeah, i knew that trivia. Never heard of Serenity. Is that the new one with Michelle Pheifer and Robert Dinero?

Naw.  Serenity was basically Joss Whedon's (creator of Buffy and Angel AND Firefly, the series this movie is based off) way of making sure there was some kind of closure to the Firefly series and/or possible get Firefly back up and running if it did well and got great response by fans (so far no, but the series itself I here still receives well...I'm one of them, I WANT FIREFLY BACK LOL)  The movie and series started Nathan Fillion (Slither/ scenes in last season of Buffy/Drive) Gina Torres (can only think of fourth series of Angel and bit role in The Matrix series), Adam Baldwin (last season of Angel and Independence Day) and a slew of other interesting cast members that made the show and film pretty damn good...

*clears throat*

But, I'd probably should get back on topic ^^;

I haven't seen Skinwalkers yet, though just from the commercials and previews it looked exciting...but considering how most werewolf movies are made nowadays by big shot companies...they never really turn out well, hence why i haven't trusted this one yet.  I'll wait till its on tv or something.

I agree that you can't base a movies success on box office sales and critics reviews on its own, or AT ALL for that matter.  Some directors actually movies to please the fans, not the corporate bosses, though that's rare nowadays.  The only way a movie is to be good is if YOU like it.  People will love or hate it, but its up to you.  Something that looks bad from commercials or publicity may actually turn out to be good (but, not all the time).  Other times something that looks sweet may stink in your eyes (too much publicity).  Transformers...sorry, but they needed to work on their acting, robots AND Humans (The racist cop didn't need to be in there and the dialog with the guy and his parents was just WAY too much and horrible.  Like a friend of mine said, he felt sick of it half way in the movie.  I actually only liked the army guys more than the kid in it.)

You can listen to what others have to say but don't completely knock it unless you personally know this is not your cup of tea...am I going any where with this motifs and jks here, huh, huh!? big_smile

The Full Moon to humans is just a rock; The Full Moon to me is a symbol of freedom and release
A Howl to humans scare them; A Howl to me is a harmonious song...
And I Howl back.
I am SUCH the Romantic big_smile   Awwoooooooooo!

#94 2007-09-06 18:41:16

WereWolfH

interesting. well it was  a huge flop and I saw a clip of it and wasn't impressed so. oh well.

#95 2007-09-25 20:29:15

The Busboy
Administrator

"Skin Walkers" will be available on DVD on November 27th, 2007. 
Link at amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Skinwalkers-Kim-C … amp;sr=1-1

#96 2007-09-25 22:03:16

WolfMontana

Thanks for the link Busboy smile

#97 2007-11-27 11:19:24

ArcLight
Website

The Busboy wrote:

"Skin Walkers" will be available on DVD on November 27th, 2007. 
Link at amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Skinwalkers-Kim-C … amp;sr=1-1

Just a reminder for those that care.....

#98 2007-11-27 16:10:19

WolfMontana

I'll get it, just to see what it's like smile I've got more interest in picking that up than say, Big Bad Wolf. tongue

#99 2007-11-27 18:55:08

The Busboy
Administrator

Yes, it's out on DVD today, I'm definitely gettting a copy of it.

#100 2007-11-28 02:33:18

ArcLight
Website

WolfMontana wrote:

I'll get it, just to see what it's like smile I've got more interest in picking that up than say, Big Bad Wolf. tongue

Big Bad Wolf was better.

Board footer