"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#102 2007-11-29 16:01:56

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Re: Skinwalkers : The Movie

Ooookay, here we go.

I saw Skinwalkers. Spoilers (actually, complaints mostly) ahead. Don't read if you're intending on watching the movie objectively. I really rant about the story here, so beware.

It did have a few little ideas that were intriguing and fresh, but it wasn't that good overall.

First off, these were wolfmen and wolfwomen, like the original Larry Talbot. They weren't really werewolves, per se. It was actors dressed up with wigs and prosthetics, as opposed to a more wolf-like creature. It may have saved on budget, but doing it that way tempts the director to make the creature act more like a depraved hairy human than a vicious werewolf. In a few scenes, the director fell prey to that temptation.

The female villain when all wolfed out kinda confused me. It was like they were trying to make her look sexy or beautiful as a werewolf. They gave her angled features and almond eyes that made her look more like a were-elf who ran out of shampoo, really.

The story was based on 2 groups of werewolves, the nice ones who want the curse to end (every one of them dies) and the bad ones who think it's a gift (every one dies but the main one, who gains repentance at the end). A prophecy says a boy will be born that could end the curse forever. So, naturally, the good ones protect him and the bad ones try to kill him. Apparently, bad werewolves like to become stereotypical biker gangs.

In one scene, Both groups are already stocked up heavily on guns and ammunition, and once they see each other they start blasting away regardless of who's watching or where they are. Wow, subtle. Why hide your Lycanthropy now, guys? When the good group escapes, the bad group starts walking down the middle of the street, side by side, reloading their guns and holding them out in semi-tough poses. And, I'm sorry, but shooting a gas pump with an automatic rifle isn't going to explode the entire station.

In another scene, during the full moon, the main villain literally 'struts' into a bar, practically pushing both doors open as he does, wearing clothes and even boots. It was like he was just another guy, but with thick hair and long teeth. It just HAD to be a joke ("Okay, a werewolf walks into a bar and orders a bloody Mary... What? Oh, you've heard that one?"). If it was an attempt at levity or making him look cool, it failed.
  The bad werewolves 'intervene' against a suggested rape attempt (are barmaids typically victimized that easily?) by slaughtering the patrons of the bar, but you think the intended victim is safe? Nope. She's dessert. Then, for some reason, the screenwriters thought that the bliss of gorging on victims in a bar could be metaphorically represented as having sex in a forest. Now, I like a good steak every once in a while, but not like that!

Of course, there's a sudden turn of betrayal that apparently everyone saw coming except the good group. When it happens, it lasts for a good 5 minutes with lots of screaming, and the sacred boy on the other side of the door apparently can't hear it, so of course he's enticed by the baby-talk of the betrayer. I think it was supposed to be suspenseful. Oh - and let's have the betrayer suddenly cuss a lot, that way the audience knows that they're bad now! yeah!

Stuff I liked:
  The graphics used for the creature to roar or open their mouths widely were well done. Also, the person's eyes would begin to redden as they grew closer to their time to shift. I thought that was a great touch. They also stayed away from the question of whether biting someone turns them into a werewolf - in fact, it appeared as though it wouldn't happen at all. I found that very interesting and unique: a classic feature of the werewolf story, someone becoming a werewolf from being bitten, was completely removed. The main challenge was instead whether or not you succumbed to the urges brought on by feeding. Not what you'd call authentic, but interesting nonetheless.

Alright, I'm done. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Last edited by Grayle (2007-11-29 16:24:43)

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#103 2007-11-29 22:52:21

WolfMontana

I'm highly offended by your well considered post Grayle! big_smile

Good to read and know. I'll see it as soon as I can and add my own two cents. smile

And this was worth a good giggle "They gave her angled features and almond eyes that made her look more like a were-elf who ran out of shampoo, really." big_smile

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural

#104 2007-12-29 18:05:35

LuminusPup

Just saw this movie, and I have to say I did like it but it wouldn't top my favorites. I agree with Grayle that the looks were pretty poor. It was pretty sterotypical, but I do have to disagree with the betrayal. Simply because it wasn't betrayal, she was forced to feed and that messed with her head. Though, the whole arguement and killing her boyfriend and all that...why DIDN'T Tim hear that? Also..I didn't understand that sex scene at all. BUT- I did like it.

I know well what lies beyond my sleeping refuge; the nightmare I built my own world to escape.

--Evanescence

#105 2007-12-29 18:59:57

WritingWulf

This was a pimp movie!

#106 2008-01-02 00:21:48

WolfMontana

Finally saw this movie, and actually, didn't think it was as bad as I originally thought it would be. I actually liked what Stan did with the makeup, didn't feel all that stereotypical - I've never seen wolf eyes handled quick like that, with the very characteristic slant. They were really quite beautiful (the ah, eyes, not the wolves). And those paws too, were awesome. Story was a bit silly, but, overall, not the worst werewolf movie I've ever seen, thankyouverymuchDarkWolf.

#107 2008-01-02 22:15:21

AesirWolf
The Pizza Werewolf

That was a heck of a movie!

"The power of goddess Freyja and god Freyr rests in my paws..."

"Want some pizza? Let me make them for you!"

#108 2008-01-11 23:43:15

metalbeast

I Saw This Movie Last Night , It Was REALLY REALLY Terrible

#109 2008-01-12 10:29:45

WritingWulf

how so?

#110 2008-01-12 12:51:56

The Busboy
Administrator

I got the DVD, but only watched about half of it so far.

#111 2008-01-12 13:32:06

Maverick-Werewolf
The Last Samurai Werewolf
Website

I didn't think it made much sense...

SPOILERS, DON'T READ ANY FARTHER IF YOU PLAN TO SEE THE FILM BUT YOU HAVEN'T YET!

Okay, here are the spoilers:
One REALLY BIG thing that made NO sense to me was the fact that they could cure the big bad guy, yet they said that werewolves couldn't be cured if they had tasted the blood\flesh of a human... well, the badguy had tasted plenty, I'm sure, yet he was still cured?
It didn't make any sense... and the action was kind of weird, the whole thing wasn't that good at all.

Personally, I much preferred Blood and Chocolate, which I saw right after Skinwalkers.

- Maverick-Werewolf

#112 2008-01-12 14:14:51

WritingWulf

Gah! blood and chocolate was ruined with the coming of the movie! (For all those who have seen the movie and think its good....go read the book, quoting a word from one of the fellow members..."It will rock your soxs" lol) And i dont know about the big bad guy getting any blood. Did they ever show him tast blood? not sure but i liked the old fashion type of were in this one. It kinda made more sence then the full change. (not prefered though).

#113 2008-01-12 15:09:25

WolfMontana

*spoiler-ish ranting*

They do show him tasting blood - his own sons.

I didn't like that aspect of the movie much. I mean, they should have just let whathisface Uncle-somebody take a nibble out of the kid, and then EVERYONE NEEDN'T HAVE DIED.

#114 2008-01-27 20:20:26

WritingWulf

*spoiler*

it took me awhile to think about this Montana but i just realized, even if he did taste the boys blood the boys blood had the curing effect. So really, the curse was healed before he couldn't be healed.

#115 2008-03-18 14:32:35

therian44
Barry Burton's lover
Website

Wow this is going to see late but I just saw skinwalkers.

I didnt want to watch it b/c I hate movies that involves werewolves that are the bad guys. I read that it was about (not really werewolves) weres vs weres. So I was like "fine, I'll watch the damn movie."

I'm half and half on this movie. I like originality all in but I hated the fact that the bad guys loved being what they were. Yes them killing innocent ppl is wrong, but if someone COULD p-shift then why would they just want to be a normal person. Maybe I am putting my own feelings into this movie. I'm a therian and I wish that I could p-shift and be what I'm suppose to be. I would love to run on fours instead of two.

Overall it was okay but not my fav, at least it was better than Underworld and Blood & Chocolate. Dont get me started on that b/c they ruined the gently caressing book and I hate thier ugly guts for that. I dont like Underworld b/c they make the weres seem like ugly tailess monsters who only slaughter for fun.

Run, wolf warrior, to ends eternal
Through the wreckage of the death of the day
Scent of silence under starlight spinning
A captured beast within a human skin

#116 2008-03-18 17:39:32

WereWolfH

whaattt? underworld???? nah, they only killed the donars that didn't work out but i'm not sure if they killed them or not, it didn't show.

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

#117 2008-03-18 18:42:50

therian44
Barry Burton's lover
Website

I didnt get that part either. The chick's husband was hot as hell. Throughout the whole movie I had a boner XD jk jk jk

Run, wolf warrior, to ends eternal
Through the wreckage of the death of the day
Scent of silence under starlight spinning
A captured beast within a human skin

#118 2008-03-19 15:06:24

punxnotdead

WritingWulf wrote:

Gah! blood and chocolate was ruined with the coming of the movie! (For all those who have seen the movie and think its good....go read the book, quoting a word from one of the fellow members..."It will rock your soxs" lol) And i dont know about the big bad guy getting any blood. Did they ever show him tast blood? not sure but i liked the old fashion type of were in this one. It kinda made more sence then the full change. (not prefered though).

I'm actually in the middle of reading the book.It seems to be allot different than the movie, but I still enjoyed the movie, nonetheless.

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#119 2008-03-19 16:27:55

WereWolfH

okay so I'm gonna watch Skinwalkers tomorrowish because i checket out Fangoria magazine and this fine guy named Shawn Roberts is in it, so... we'll see

therian 44 (haha, yeah he's hot)

#120 2009-03-09 14:13:01

WereWolfH

this movie is growing on me. I think if they had a bigger budget the wolves could have looked better

#121 2010-07-13 00:22:49

Totalimmortal
HAHAHAHA...get it?

I've decided to bring this thread back from the dead to inform you all that I watched this recently - it's absolutely terrible, imo. I don't care for the script, the acting is cheesy, the good werewolves are annoying, and I didn't like the look of the werewolves.

I mean, it's still not as disappointing as "Repo! The Genetic Opera" which just made me want to throw stuff at the screen and scream obscenities out of pure RAGE after I was done watching it, but it was pretty terrible.

Last edited by Totalimmortal (2010-07-13 00:26:36)

I'll come down and get you high.  Maybe sing you a lullaby.  Sing you to sleep, a sleep you'll never wake from.  Sing you to coma, so to speak.

#122 2010-07-13 10:55:16

Viergacht

It cracks me up.
"These werewolves don't look exactly like the ones Rob Bottin created for the Howling, therefore they're not REALLY werewolves! Werewolves can only look one certain, specific way as defined by that movie! No one is allowed to be creative."

#123 2010-07-13 11:55:21

wolfblood17

I thought it was going to look awesome and bloody and it turned out to be a slow idifest!  Werewolves with that much clothes?  Come on!  I looked like that on Halloween once.... and was told to go shave, at the age of 12!!!!!

big_smile (with fangs!)

#124 2010-07-16 22:45:06

Totalimmortal
HAHAHAHA...get it?

Viergacht wrote:

It cracks me up.
"These werewolves don't look exactly like the ones Rob Bottin created for the Howling, therefore they're not REALLY werewolves! Werewolves can only look one certain, specific way as defined by that movie! No one is allowed to be creative."

lol I hope this post wasn't directed at me, because I have more problems than that with this flick.

It's totally fine if they want to deviate from the standard look, it's just that this time around it came out looking retarded.

I'll come down and get you high.  Maybe sing you a lullaby.  Sing you to sleep, a sleep you'll never wake from.  Sing you to coma, so to speak.

#125 2010-08-25 03:51:30

venusstephen

Skinwalkers movie was released on 10 august 2007. Really Awesome movie. I like the movie very much. James Isaac has done great job. I really appreciate his work.
The movie was pictured  on 13 year old boy he gives his all approaches to finish the curse of powerful Skinwalkers. I saw these movie more than twice times.
Many people likes these movie.

Board footer