The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-07 23:46:03

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

Therianthrope book

i know this isnt the poetry section, but please bear with me. i just wanted to really get this idea out there, and it seemed relevent enough to the therianthropy section. Im sure some of you have read that i want to write a book on therianthropy with willing members of the cafe. if you want to help write something, please post what youd like to write about and under what section. please share comments on what sections should be removed and if new sections should be added. thank you big_smile

Sections (not in order) :

Therianthropy: an introduction
Advice: help from a fellow therian
Theriotypes:
Otherkin:
Personal experiences:  daily living with therianthropy
The Source: Scientific/ Spiritual reasoning
Shifting: what is shifting? (divided into following parts)
a.) mental shifts
b)physical shift
c) dream shifts
d) astral plain/ prjection shifts
e) other: (ie. beserkers, skinwalking)

Outside Forces: (a section divided into the following parts)
a.) Slayers
b.) Howls/ gatherings
c.) lifestyle alterations?

"It is better to be hated for what you are, than loved for what you are not."
                                                                                          -Andre Gide

#2 2009-12-08 01:39:12

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Re: Therianthrope book

I say drop the chapter style you've got there and go along the "no real standard" model that me, VanZandt, TerrorWolf, and many others subscribe to.  Then, go to another site that has a strong community, not a werewolf fansite with a interest based side-forum.  You might also look at the many books and other works that have already been published on the subject, and their receptions, (which are always less than half positive) such as the ones by LupaBitch (like "A Field Guide to Otherkin").

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#3 2009-12-08 18:46:22

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

thanks! smile

-Andre Gide

#4 2009-12-11 05:06:58

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Of course, I think I should tell you that I'm tempted to just give you the advice of not doing it at all.  You haven't been active in the therian community like the few people who managed to publish books without widespread hatred have been.  In fact, I haven't seen you very much at all.
Judging by what I'm perceiving of you (including the fact that you included "Slayers" as a whole chapter there), I really don't think you're ready to even think about writing a book like this at this point, and statistically, you may never be.  Therianthropy is a broad and complicated subject, and to understand enough about it to consider writing about it takes alot of time and research.  Perhaps you could write an article explaining what it is, but there's already alot of those out there, and we don't really need any sort of publicity...
In any case, do what you want, I'm just saying, I don't think you should attempt it, and you're not going to get alot of support if you do.

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#5 2009-12-11 06:57:50

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

True that. Especially since your not just talking about therians, you want to mention berserkers and skinwalkers too. That's difficult, challenging, hard to access stuff with very little reputable literature. Short of actually knowing one, I don't think it would be possible to write a chapter on them. And I doubt you are one or really understand them, no offence. If you are intent on writing this I definitely wouldn't stray from the territory of therianthropy.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#6 2009-12-11 22:43:49

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

thanks for the advice guys smile im not a skinwalker or the like, and although i am active as a therian on the cafe here and werespace when i can, i probably do need a lot more experience with other therians as well. the chapter of slayers was dedicated to Slayer here from the cafe. I wont attempt it yet, maybe a few years down the road.

-Andre Gide

#7 2009-12-11 23:22:16

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

I think an undertaking of such magnitude would as others have said be quite difficult, however I do not think it is wholly impossible. I find that if the proper research was conducted and a gathering of proper information to become well informed that a document could be created. I don't think that being a therian has any weight upon the ability to write the document, just the amount of information gathered and proper synthesizing of that information.  An example would be an anthropologist writing an ethnography, they are not necessarily apart of the culture they are writing about, however that does not impede their ability to do so.

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#8 2009-12-14 01:12:13

Stormwolf

Writing a book on Therianthropy would certainly not be impossible, Vindicator.  I think Sherlawk was pointing out that Ashen hasn't exactly the experience or research foundation to produce a book that would be supported, more than likely, by virtually anybody (as suggested by solicting help for this on  a werewolf fansite which is not exactly the greatest place to ask for help on real werewolves).  There are several forums scattered around, mainly run by the owners and reflective of many of their own personal beliefs.  There are a few clearing-houses for therians -- "Crossroads", if I remember right, "The Awareness Forums", and "Werelist" are a couple of the bigger ones, although the only one of those I know is still active is the Werelist.  I'd spend a lot of time trying to get to know the various ideas of what's going on before trying to present something to the public that makes it seem like I know what's going on (ie, writing a book).  And no offense to "Slayer", but if you were going to dedicate a chapter in your book to any one person in particular, really VanZ would probably be the most visible and well-known person you could go with.

Also, like Shady pointed out -- while "berserkers" could arguably fall under the category of "therianthropy" -- "skinwalkers" most definitely don't, so the scope of the project seems a little scattered. 

And I appreciate the enthusiasum, but I agree with Sherl in that I'm not exactly looking for any sort of publicity, either.  Or course, I can't speak for the rest of the community.

#9 2009-12-17 22:01:28

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

thanks for the advice Strom and Vic. It should be noted that, although i am not going to go through with this book at this point in time, i was only going to consider information from credible therians like WVZ, although he clearly wanted no part in it so, although i greatly respect and admire him, left him well enough alone. smile I am a therian myself, and i have done my share of research, but i am not ready to write this yet and i want to get experience under my belt.

-Andre Gide

#10 2009-12-19 23:48:08

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Of course you don't have the research background.  VAN ZANT AND I COMBINED don't have the backgrounds to write much more than a 4 page article.  A book would take years to formulate.

Stormwolf wrote:

There are a few clearing-houses for therians -- "Crossroads", if I remember right, "The Awareness Forums", and "Werelist" are a couple of the bigger ones, although the only one of those I know is still active is the Werelist.

You forgot WereSource.  I like WereSource.  And Crossroads is still up.
You also forgot Therian.Wikia, the site I administrate, and that means you don't get a doggybone from santa-coon for winter solstice this year. >:|

And no offense to "Slayer", but if you were going to dedicate a chapter in your book to any one person in particular, really VanZ would probably be the most visible and well-known person you could go with.

Even then, VanZandt would be a bad choice to write a chapter about.  He is, in fact, very well known in the community, but that doesn't mean he's any sort of authoritative representative.  If you present him in an informative context, you have to present the many others like him, which means pulling out people like ShadowMyst (admin of aforementioned crossroads), TerrorWolf (Admin of Weresource), Coyote (founder of Werelist), Jakkal (Awereness), Savage Tornclaw (I'm not even sure what she/he did), and MagusFenrir (TherianTemple), and that's not even a good summary of all the people with influential views. (really, it's just a list of random names that pop up alot I randomly came up with)

#11 2009-12-19 23:52:10

White Wolf
Dreamer of the East [Moderator]
Website

I didn't know you administered that site Sherlawk! I've looked over there a couple of times. wink

Nos totus take diversus semita ut a similis fortuna per sapientia, vires, quod fides in divinus nostrum maioribus socius.

#12 2009-12-20 01:59:48

WolfVanZandt
Website

Aye, if you could track down Otter - the one that brought up the issue on Alternate Horror: Werewolves to start with you'd really have something to write about. Then there are all the earliest Weres like Smash and Katmandu. What we need is a definitive history of the Therian community and that would take a considerable amount of time interviewing people to nail down times and places, pouring over the AHWW logs and such.

#13 2009-12-20 02:28:50

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

White Wolf wrote:

I didn't know you administered that site Sherlawk! I've looked over there a couple of times. ;)

It... Kinda says my name on the front page...

#14 2009-12-20 13:47:13

Stormwolf

SherlawkDragon wrote:

Of course you don't have the research background.  VAN ZANT AND I COMBINED don't have the backgrounds to write much more than a 4 page article.  A book would take years to formulate.

Stormwolf wrote:

There are a few clearing-houses for therians -- "Crossroads", if I remember right, "The Awareness Forums", and "Werelist" are a couple of the bigger ones, although the only one of those I know is still active is the Werelist.

You forgot WereSource.  I like WereSource.  And Crossroads is still up.
You also forgot Therian.Wikia, the site I administrate, and that means you don't get a doggybone from santa-coon for winter solstice this year. >neutral

And no offense to "Slayer", but if you were going to dedicate a chapter in your book to any one person in particular, really VanZ would probably be the most visible and well-known person you could go with.

Even then, VanZandt would be a bad choice to write a chapter about.  He is, in fact, very well known in the community, but that doesn't mean he's any sort of authoritative representative.  If you present him in an informative context, you have to present the many others like him, which means pulling out people like ShadowMyst (admin of aforementioned crossroads), TerrorWolf (Admin of Weresource), Coyote (founder of Werelist), Jakkal (Awereness), Savage Tornclaw (I'm not even sure what she/he did), and MagusFenrir (TherianTemple), and that's not even a good summary of all the people with influential views. (really, it's just a list of random names that pop up alot I randomly came up with)

Is the Therian Temple still up and running as well?  I really wouldn't even include anything but a passing comment on that, especially considering that it's never been more than a very small aspect of the overall community and is pretty much disregarded by everybody but the members who belong.  Besides, include that in a book and they're liable to file action against you for it, from what I've been able to gather from passing comments on the Werelist.  And I did forget the Weresource.  There's a "library" too with lots of great essays floating around, but I can't remember the addy.

And Coyote wasn't just the founder of the Werelist, but I also caught him featured on a special that Animal Planet did on "Hum-animals".  He's a great guy and would be an awesome source of information, if you can track him down.  I think he's sort of gone "hermit" in the past couple of years.

I hope people don't dig through the AHWW archives in the dusty corridors of Usenet history too deep or they might run across me.xD  I wasn't as active back then as I am now...but it's weird to think that I'm one of those oldies who was around back when these things were first starting to kick into gear.  I still remember hearing people complain about Katmandu's chili...

#15 2009-12-20 21:08:29

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Stormwolf wrote:

Is the Therian Temple still up and running as well?

Um... Does it have a reason NOT to be running??? O!o

I really wouldn't even include anything but a passing comment on that, especially considering that it's never been more than a very small aspect of the overall community and is pretty much disregarded by everybody but the members who belong.

It's the biggest group based around a single, published opinion, and the actions/reactions make it all the more influential.  That's why I'd include it.

Besides, include that in a book and they're liable to file action against you for it

As much as I respect them, this is absolutely true. >:|

There's a "library" too with lots of great essays floating around, but I can't remember the addy.

Ah, yes, that.  There's a link to it on Therian.Wikia.

"Hum-animals"

Is supposedly awful.

I think he's sort of gone "hermit" in the past couple of years.

No, he just has a life.

I hope people don't dig through the AHWW archives in the dusty corridors of Usenet history too deep or they might run across me.xD  I wasn't as active back then as I am now...but it's weird to think that I'm one of those oldies who was around back when these things were first starting to kick into gear.  I still remember hearing people complain about Katmandu's chili...

Oldie.  Go hang with crazyman over there.

#16 2009-12-20 23:49:31

Stormwolf

SherlawkDragon wrote:

Stormwolf wrote:

I don't keep up with their comings and goings-on, Sherl.  Why the hell would I know what they're doing?

Aye, the Animal Planet special was pretty awful, but it's occassionally nice to see what's being feed to the general public about some things.  Plus, it was kind of cool to see someone I know and have talked with on a special that's sort of loosely related to some of this.

#17 2009-12-20 23:51:59

WolfVanZandt
Website

The Hum-animal episode was a hack job that included some parts of an earlier and much better documentary on Animal Imitators.

And I like Katmandu's chili - although it should be included in the book along with Jakkal's hamburgers......

#18 2009-12-21 17:34:56

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Stormwolf wrote:

SherlawkDragon wrote:

Stormwolf wrote:

I don't keep up with their comings and goings-on, Sherl.  Why the hell would I know what they're doing?

I don't know, why would you think they had disbanded though?? O!o

#19 2009-12-22 00:30:53

Stormwolf

Stormwolf wrote:

I didn't think anything.  I haven't heard any rumblings about it for some while now, which is why I asked.  If you remember, I wasn't sure if even Crossroads or the Awareness forums were still up and active.xP

There are also some popular therian chatrooms floating about the Internet for those trying to talk to other therians on a more personal level and learn more about individual's views and experiences outside of posting on forums, if it hasn't already been mentioned elsewhere. 

As a general rule of thumb, just posting up in a chat room and listening to others can sometimes teach you more than you'd learn by asking a lot of questions.

#20 2009-12-22 16:53:12

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Stormwolf wrote:

I didn't think anything.  I haven't heard any rumblings about it for some while now, which is why I asked.  If you remember, I wasn't sure if even Crossroads or the Awareness forums were still up and active.

Well, then you aren't "active" like you said. *nitpick*

There are also some popular therian chatrooms floating about the Internet for those trying to talk to other therians on a more personal level and learn more about individual's views and experiences outside of posting on forums, if it hasn't already been mentioned elsewhere.

I think Weresource has the best ones...

As a general rule of thumb, just posting up in a chat room and listening to others can sometimes teach you more than you'd learn by asking a lot of questions.

True.  You might also sit in on one of the public STDCs on Weresource, or read old logs. (of course, what will be made obvious is the fact that we all have different views and ideas.)

#21 2009-12-23 00:46:05

Stormwolf

SherlawkDragon wrote:

Stormwolf wrote:

I didn't think anything.  I haven't heard any rumblings about it for some while now, which is why I asked.  If you remember, I wasn't sure if even Crossroads or the Awareness forums were still up and active.

Well, then you aren't "active" like you said. *nitpick*

I think Weresource has the best ones...

True.  You might also sit in on one of the public STDCs on Weresource, or read old logs. (of course, what will be made obvious is the fact that we all have different views and ideas.)

I said I'm more active now than I was back on AHWW, which is definitely not the same as me saying that I'm particularly "active" now.  Come on, Kiddo -- track the conversation.xP~  Besides, you know better; in all the years you've know me, Sherl, have you ever seen me more often than sporadically active on a handful of forums?

But, it is quite true that practically everyone has some different views and ideas about Therianthropy, which is one reason why any type of comprehensive and accurate book would be such a huge undertaking. 

Actually, if someone really wanted to work on a fleshed-out and well-rounded perspective of all the views and ideas out there, they really shouldn't necessarily just stick to the large clearing-house sites and huge chat log archives, but might also want to dig around the smaller, personal forums run by individuals.  I've actually found more New Age spirituality on the larger forums and more hardcore pagan, old-school beliefs reflected on smaller forums.

Individual therians usually run therir own forums under their own ideologies and if someone wants to make their own informed decision about what's going on, it's good to have as much information as possible, right?  Not to mention, as the on-line community as a whole goes, if something is relevant because it's out there then those perspectives are just as relevant as others.

#22 2009-12-23 03:31:08

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Stormwolf wrote:

I said I'm more active now than I was back on AHWW, which is definitely not the same as me saying that I'm particularly "active" now.  Come on, Kiddo -- track the conversation.xP~  Besides, you know better; in all the years you've know me, Sherl, have you ever seen me more often than sporadically active on a handful of forums?

I've seen what you did last summer, you SICK FREAK. >:|
Sorry if this is private, but didn't your parents have something to do with that?  I seem to recall picturing your parents as what can only be understated as "raving lunatics"?

But, it is quite true that practically everyone has some different views and ideas about Therianthropy, which is one reason why any type of comprehensive and accurate book would be such a huge undertaking.

Yeah, huge like a certain female who you are directly decended from. (not gonna say who)
It's actually very interesting how not only can views on individual issues can differ so widely to so many extremes between two people who agree on one issue, but the individual feelings on their own therianthropy.  Ask 10 therians about therianthropy, you'll get 11 answers. (unless one is someone like WordWolf, then you get 11 from him alone, 'cause he has no life outside of lexicography. >:|)

Actually, if someone really wanted to work on a fleshed-out and well-rounded perspective of all the views and ideas out there, they really shouldn't necessarily just stick to the large clearing-house sites and huge chat log archives, but might also want to dig around the smaller, personal forums run by individuals.  I've actually found more New Age spirituality on the larger forums and more hardcore pagan, old-school beliefs reflected on smaller forums.

Yeah, I've noticed that.  There tends to be a degradation of quality that just comes with a large, open community.  Meanwhile, I see alot of opinions which I really like on those smaller boards, and they just don't ring as loud when there are 5 pages of posts in a thread on the first day it's posted, and things don't get discussed as much when that happens, diminishing the likelihood of someone like that popping up.  I know this one pagan hawk therian who married an eagle therian, she is a BIZZARE type of fruit (possibly a blue mango grown in Canadia), but the amount of reason behind everything she says makes her really interesting to get opinions from... Meanwhile you get boards like CT which draw a unique crowd that discusses things you don't see on big forums.

Individual therians usually run therir own forums under their own ideologies and if someone wants to make their own informed decision about what's going on, it's good to have as much information as possible, right?  Not to mention, as the on-line community as a whole goes, if something is relevant because it's out there then those perspectives are just as relevant as others.

Sepaking of those, I loosely administrate Therian Forest if anyone wants to look at one of those less-open, small communities.  We don't have anyone that stands out at the moment (well, maybe me, but I don't know about tagging myself, especially being the admin) but we get some interesting stuff that flies around that you don't typically see on Werelist.  What's also a little interesting is the content of Therian.Wikia, which reflects the general opinions of the people who bother to edit (this happens to be comprised mainly of me and people who like to write articles titled "Therian Sex" and what not)
Anyway, I feel like I rambled that, and I'm going to bed, so night.

Edit: Post 444!
Another Edit: And Stormwolf is at 32!  Even better!

Last edited by SherlawkDragon (2009-12-23 03:33:29)

#23 2009-12-24 00:15:48

Stormwolf

SherlawkDragon wrote:

Sorry if this is private, but didn't your parents have something to do with that?  I seem to recall picturing your parents as what can only be understated as "raving lunatics"?

It's a little late to apologize for bringing up private information on a public forum after you've already brought it up.  But, no, it's not a private matter for me -- hell, it's still out there in the dusty hallways and cobweb strewn corridors of the Usenet archives of AHWW for everyone with the curiosity and time to dig it up to see.  I actually touched on the topic myself in the thread on Werewolves/Therians and Religion in this very section of the board not too long ago here:  http://forum.werewolfcafe.com/viewtopic … 65&p=2

And you get on VanZ for being senile.

#24 2009-12-24 02:14:40

WolfVanZandt
Website

Me senile?.....just remind me what the topic is and I'm ready to go.

Last edited by WolfVanZandt (2009-12-24 02:14:58)

#25 2009-12-24 10:32:40

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Hey: it's what I do. >neutral

Board footer