The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-20 13:57:53

littlequoll

Still searching for the answer. ("Am I a Therian?")

So yeah, I'm new here. Hello, hello.

I came to this forum because I've been struggling greatly with the whole lycanthropy thing my whole life and I was looking for some other people's / animal people's thoughts.

I don't know too much about this particular group so I don't know much terminology or any of that, don't hurt me.

How It Began: My mother was told by a medium (when I was about 4 years old) that I am/was an animal (never said what kind) and always have been. I apparently came back as a human against my will, but only agreed to return because my mother, whom I seem to know in the spirit wold, was going to be with me. My mother also told me that when I was born, I glared at the doctors and folded my arms, which makes me laugh to this day.
I also had episodes of hallucinations / "seeing spirits" up until age 12, in which I was spoken to and saw many strange human figures and animals (I recall one episode where a doe pushed it's head out of my mirror and said some small, muffled words to me, and sucked back in, leaving an outline of it's head made out of unknown fingerprints, which later vanished).

Call me Animal?: All through childhood, I have loved and connected deeply with animals, was fascinated by them, everything. I never connected much to pets like cats or dogs, but to wild things like...I dunno, weasels and possums, all the wild things out there that most other people didn't admire. I've struggled with depression through a large chunk of childhood, crying to my mother and saying things like, "I don't wanna be a stupid human".
As I got into my early teen years, I smothered these feelings and tried to ignore them and live like any other kid, since fitting in is so crucial at the age.
[I eventually just gave up and joined the furry fandom, thinking maybe I just REALLY like animals, but I know it's deeper than that.]
I have never stuck with a strict connection to one animal, such as some of you wolves out there do (which I am jealous of, don't get me wrong).

Instincts?: I do seem to have little instincts such as crawling, biting and growling/screeching loudly in fights, acute hearing, sensitivity to light, and making a humming / whimpering noise when I'm sad / scared. I can feel phantom ears that move as my human ears do, and a phantom tail which seems to slightly curl and sway with my thoughts.

I studied some Native American shape shifting from a book called Animal Speak. Of course, I tried using the wolf energy to start, thinking that was my animal since it's quite common. Over time practicing, I built muscle at random, sharper teeth, and became extremely hostile. I was wild enough to do something I would regret, but human-minded enough to be aware of this, which striked extreme terror and made me stop this procedure immediately.

Now here I am at age 18, the episodes and thoughts have been coming back. My burning questions both excite me and nauseate me to this day, and I need some help or answers.
Am I Therian of some sort? Any idea what my animal is? Am I just a crazy lady who likes animals too much?

#2 2009-12-20 14:07:21

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

Re: Still searching for the answer. ("Am I a Therian?")

Hey there, welcome to the cafe. That is a very interesting set of circumstances that you have relayed there. As for answering your questions, unfortunately no one here nor anywhere else can do so, save yourself. It is just one of those things that only the individual can decide upon. The only advice I could give would be to stay true to yourself, maybe then you'll find an answer be it in the positive or negative.

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#3 2009-12-20 14:11:12

littlequoll

Vindicator wrote:

Hey there, welcome to the cafe. That is a very interesting set of circumstances that you have relayed there. As for answering your questions, unfortunately no one here nor anywhere else can do so, save yourself. It is just one of those things that only the individual can decide upon. The only advice I could give would be to stay true to yourself, maybe then you'll find an answer be it in the positive or negative.

Heh, yeah...
Well I thought maybe talking to this particular group could at least help give me a better idea of what I'm dealing with here lol
I've only found one other person (who is my best friend) that has a similar issue, only she knows what she is inside, which is a wolf (although she's more of a furry than me XD)
Buuuut yeah~

#4 2009-12-20 14:13:50

Vindicator
Website

Well for getting a better idea of what's out there, spend some time looking through this section of the cafe. There are also some websites/forums dedicated to Theiranthropy that may prove more informative than this one. Something else that may be of use, is just pose the questions you asked to yourself and answer them simply and honestly, and there my lie your answers.

Last edited by Vindicator (2009-12-20 14:15:18)

#5 2009-12-20 14:27:59

littlequoll

I feel like I'm just a little of everything.
Since I'm also an artist I try to draw what animal I feel, which always turns out to be a cat-bear-weasel-hyena thing.
So I'm wondering.
Is it possible to be something extinct?

#6 2009-12-20 14:30:38

Vindicator
Website

I think that is within the realm of possibilities. I know of a few individuals who identify as such within the community.

#7 2009-12-20 23:59:11

WolfVanZandt
Website

It's a fairly common thing in the Therian community that "psychic" people and children pick up on our animal sides. It's also very common for us to experience visions, waking dreams, and hallucinations - many of them of shamanistic nature.

Don't let it upset you. To quote John Prine, "You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't."

#8 2010-01-21 20:27:19

Thira-Alpha
Website

ummmmmmm sorry but you  don't really sound like a true therian. it may be there in your blood though. but anyways, welcome to the cafe!

-------------------------
Howling
Its a Hobby ^_^

Board footer