The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-13 15:40:26

Cratys
Website

Guided Meditation to find your Theriotype

Intro:
Okay for those of you who know how to meditate, skip past the paragraph below to where it reads "Meditation Start". For those of you who don't then please follow the paragraph below and all that follows. For all of you reading this, I'd advise that you either you record yourself reading the entirety of what's written below start to finish, or have someone read it to you while you try this. This meditation was entirely made up from my own head and designed so that you, the person doing the meditation, can find and become you're therioype for bit. Know that everything that happens in the meditation is in your head and no physical changes will occur.  Note: If you are having someone read this out loud to you or are recording this for yourself, do not read the few portions in parentheses out loud. The bits in parentheses are instructions on what to do while reading and are not meant to be read out loud. Also the method for getting into a meditative state below is the one that I personally use. If it does not work for you, use another method. You can find these all over the internet. Make sure your will not be disturbed for the duration of this meditation. Let's begin:

(Getting into a meditative state)

Sit or lay in a relaxed position, be comfortable, but not so comfortable that you will fall asleep. Once relaxed, close your eyes and picture your body filled with energy, this can be in the form of colorful light, water or smoke. Now begin to relax, as you do, feel the energy flow out through your fingertips and toes. Relax your face, your forehead, your jaw, your neck, shoulders, arms, elbows, hands fingers, fingertips. Relax your chest, your abdomen, your back. Relax your hips and all through the pelvis, relax your thighs, your knees your calves, your ankles and your feet. If any places seem to tense up again as you visualize this, feel free to go back and relax them until the energy has all drained away or you feel completely comfortable and relaxed. Now focus on your breathing. In...out, slow and relaxed. Know that with each breath, you'll get farther and father from your physical shell. Breathe. In...out. Focus on how the air feels. Now were going to count, one, you feel yourself relaxing even more. Two, you begin to feel less attached to your body. Three, you relax even more and began to feel yourself detaching from your physical self. Four, you breathe slowly, deeply. Each breath brings you further from yourself. five, you become even less attached to your body, completely relaxed. Six, you are completely relaxed and rise from your body, hovering a few feet above it. Seven, breathe, and rise a little higher. Eight, relax and breathe as you rise up to a little more. Nine, breathe in...out....and release yourself from your body as much as you can. Ten, rise up to your ceiling and look down at yourself below. It seems you are sleeping. You are in a meditative state. (Some people choose to go down inside their mind rather than rise up out of their body. If that method would be easier than replace all the words for "rising" with going down ten steps down into the depths of your mind. And intead of counting up, count down. Once you get down to the bottom of the steps picture the door that I'm about to mention below and continue.)

(Meditation Start)

From the place in your room, rise up through the ceiling, up higher and higher and higher. Above your house your neighborhood, up above the clouds and up even higher until the clouds become so dense that it seems you cannot see anything but fluffy white all around. Suddenly you see a door. It can be as ornate or plain as you want. Now walk through it.

It closes behind you, and you know you will be return through this same door later on.  For now, you look ahead. Before you is a path, and all around there are trees and grass, the most beautiful scene you have ever imagined, but there are no animals here. So you walk, or you may run down the path. You follow it's twists and turns and feel happy, free. Eventually the path comes to a cave. You enter the cave feeling unafraid. In the back of the cave there is a paining with some words below it. Take a moment to observe it and remember it. (Pause to give time to read and observe the painting and words)

Something tells you to continue. You put your hand up and touch the painted wall, and instead it goes through the surface. Curious, you continue until your entire self makes it through the wall. On the other side, is a room. The cave walls and ceiling sparkle in all metallic colors. Not too far in front for you is a small pool of water and a large boulder. You move forward and sit on the boulder. You feel pleasantly calm, as if you know this place. Beyond the pool of water are trees, so numerous, as if an entire forest managed to grow in this stone room. The trees are healthy and green, and seem to be more alive than the ones outside.

Suddenly something stirs within the forests and an animal emerges. (Pause a moment to give time to recognize the animal). If more than one animal emerges, do not reject any of them. They may be familiars, other therotypes, pets who have passed on, or even curious spirts. As them, "Are you my theriotype?" (Pause a moment.) Do not be discouraged if they say no, as them whatever you like. (Pause to give time for asking questions.)

Suddenly you feel a warmth in your chest so familiar, so wonderful you cannot help but put your hand over it and look down. In the water below, you're reflection is no longer human. Itt now resembles an animal. (pause to see what animal) Then, from your chest, you see a wonderful glow and a silver thread coming from your chest, you look up to see where it ends. It is attached to one of the animals, the same animal you saw in your reflection. (pause to give time to recognize the animal). Look into it's eyes, and it looks back into yours knowingly. Make sure to take note of what it looks like. Take in all the details. You are connected to this animal and you feel a strong pull towards it from the thread. Feeling safe and confident as if you've done this a hundred times, you begin to drift along the thread, weightless, coming closer and closer to the animals body until you are so close, your body feels so warm. You close your eyes and then you merge into it.

Your body and the animal's body become one in the same in a rush of comfort and warmth, take a moment to feel this (pause). If you cannot merge with the animal, then simply sit and speak with it. If you have merged, then open your eyes to see through the animals. The other animals here have made room for you to move around. Walk around, move, do whatever you like as that animal. You feel as if this body is home, familiar to you, the real you. Feel yourself as this animal and take however much time you wish to play around in this body with the other animals, if there are any, or simply on your own. (pause to give time to enjoy your therian form).

When you are ready, walk aback toward the wall where you entered, there is a new picture or words written here. Take note of them. (pause) Now pass through the wall.  In your therian body, continue out of the cave back out side. Look around. The world seems more alive and there are other animals everywhere. But none of them mean you harm. Continue along the path back to the door.

Now, standing at the door, it is time to become human once more. Feel your shape shift in a rush of warmth until you stand as a human again. Know that you can always return to this place to become the animal form again.  And also know that that animal is within you and always has been. You and it are the same soul, the same being, you are one. Feeling happy, you bid goodbye to the world and pass through the door back into the clouds and float down, down down. Back down through the clouds, down to where you can see your neighborhood, down to your house, through your ceiling, where you see yourself lying there in the same place from before.

(Coming out of the meditative state)

Come back to your body knowing you will reenter it without any problems. Relax and hover just a few feet above yourself. Now begin counting. (If you counted down going down the steps from before, now count up as you ascend them. If you counted up, then continue to read) Ten, you relax. Nine, breathe in..out. Eight, feel yourself drift closer to your body. Seven slowly feel yourself slide easily and simply back into your body. Six, concentrate on breathing in...out. Five, become aware of your body. Four feel the energy flow back into you slowly. Three, feel yourself inside your body again. Two, wiggle your limbs. One. Open your eyes and sit up slowly. Clap three times and go get a snack. You're back in your body and out of the meditative state.

Copyright: 2009 Tessa Morrigan.

#2 2010-01-17 00:20:50

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Re: Guided Meditation to find your Theriotype

Normally I'd write out a long response about this whole thing, explaining why I feel the way I do, especially since VanZandt hasn't caught it, but this is the third time I've looked, and I just can't seem to get up the will to write you a decent response, so I'll just leave you with a quick, unarticulate response.

This is stupid and unlikely to do anything but mislead people who try it.
Therianthropy is personal and other people's "Theriotype finding quest" meditations will not work for you (if they ever worked at all).

Edit: and I'm not even in the mood to actually read through all the details you gave there, but most of the ones I notice are ridiculous.  "A glowing thread will tie you to your animal"?  What?  Seriously?  What does half of this even mean?  Nothing.  Symbolism is unique to individuals, and such a heavily guided mediation to find something in the conscious world isn't going to work.  If you want to find something about yourself, like your theriotype, observe yourself in conscious life.

Last edited by SherlawkDragon (2010-01-17 00:26:16)

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#3 2010-01-17 00:35:57

Randomwolf42
Random Wolf [Moderator]
Website

Strange, I just remembered reading something a lot like this on another website somewhere a few years ago. Also, it seems a little too specific, and a little too complicated. Once you're in such a state, where it's all subconscious, how are you going to keep your conscious mind there enough to remember all that, when the point of meditation, as far as I can tell (correct me if I'm wrong) is to sort of push conscious thought aside for a while, it's hard to remember things when you're that relaxed. I don't know, it seems a little contradictory to me.

#4 2010-01-17 00:54:42

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

It reminds me of a few of the so called "theriotype finding journeys" that are lying around.  I usually take little stock in them. (though, I guess I should do a little more research before I write them off so blatantly, I'm just so uninterested in them...)

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#5 2010-01-17 03:12:17

WolfVanZandt
Website

Honestly, I did "catch it". I'm just sorta tired of the concept and most Werewolves I've been around don't buy it either - so why bother.

But just for the principle of the thing....

The purpose of meditation is to quiet the mind - not to find facts. It is not a reliable fact-finding technique simply because, through meditation,k you can convince yourself of just about anything. As a fact-finding technique, meditation = self-hypnosis. With meditation, you will always find answers to your questions - they might not be the right answers and, more often than not, they'll only be the answers you want to find, but you'll definitely find answers.

(sigh)

#6 2010-01-17 10:47:20

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

WolfVanZandt wrote:

I'm just sorta tired of the concept and most Werewolves I've been around don't buy it either - so why bother.

So we're both getting tired.  Since the dawn of the community, you get posts that you find ridiculous almost everywhere you go.  Sometimes I miss the private groups where noone would say anything that wasn't based in experience, and we never got "noob posts" because no one was a "noob"...

#7 2010-01-17 16:43:41

bdk336
Website

I've discounted meditation as an answer finding technique through my own experience. One of the first things I check when I come up with a possible answer to anything so personal is look at how many questions the answer itself provokes (if you assume it to be true), and with meditation I've found that I rarely ever have half the questions I should afterwards.

Honestly from my limited knowledge of Therianthropy I would say that if you have to worry over what type of Therian you are you should take a step back and examine whether you really are one to begin with, not that I would expect all Therians to know their Theriotype automatically but realizing exactly what it is wouldn't seem to be a huge deal to me when you already are what you are. Also that brings me to one last interesting point; there is nothing to suggest that all Therians will conform to the mental patterns of known animals, I believe that the only real reason that so many Therians are connected with particular animals (assuming that none have false beliefs of what they are) is that the creatures we know cover a very broad range of psychological patterns.

#8 2010-01-18 00:45:58

WolfVanZandt
Website

hmmmm....BDK has something, there.....

Honestly, Sherlawk. I can see where you get your attitude. I'm developing an attitude. We need a support group.......

#9 2010-01-18 03:51:19

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Hey, this "attitude" isn't even aligned with my regular behavior: usually I actually make some sort of point.  This is just me not caring enough to respond to it anymore.  Maybe I should just be like ShadowMyst and never talk anywhere that isn't forcefully filled with other people who've been around a while...  But it's not even that, I'm not even fully trying to take in what people say anymore, I'm just attacking them, and that doesn't feel right to me.  I can't tell though whether it's me actually getting worse, or just the general population getting worse about saying things that just don't make sense to me....

Maybe I should take a vacation from everywhere but Weresource (which IS my support group, because you can make fun of people there, and you should come on there more), maybe I'll mellow out, that's probably what I need to do....

#10 2010-01-18 09:13:23

shadowwolfx
Elder Alpha

lol this is really odd i truthfully do not see the point in this exorcise Ive seen a few meditative journey posts around the web and ill be honest with you. The journey to finding yourself is never set in stone Ive seen posts where therians to take a journey into the earth threw their spiritual root and find their theriotype. For yourself possibly a journey upwards could work me personally i had to simply fuse the two conciseness within me one wolf, one human. To be even more honest this post seems far fetched. If the person that wrote this truly found themselves this way, honestly probability never left her body, simply stumbled in an undiscovered section of her mind these kind of posts are interesting story's but never should be used as a guide. If anyone is looking at this thread trying to find a way threw meditation, remember everyone is different, a great example is me and WVZ It appears to me that he simply grew into it and came to an awakening threw reason but, this is simply speculation.
I came to my awaking threw much more violent circumstances, shifting in fights and arguments was the biggest clue, as i thought being a prior christian i thought it was a demon taking me over, i then found out it was a wolf and upon further quests into my own mind threw meditation i found my so thought wolf demon to be part of me not just in me so now my human side and wolf side co-exist in perfect sync.

Last edited by shadowwolfx (2010-01-18 09:13:53)

They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, "Search for Paradise."

#11 2010-01-19 02:08:53

WolfVanZandt
Website

Grounding isn't meditation. If you're meditating to "throw your force", then you need to figure out how to do it without a crutch. It's a defensive maneuver and you normally don't have a lot of time to trance out when you're being defensive.

I'm on Weresource just about every night, I'm just not a starter and there hasn't been anything to reply to lately.

Sherlawk, The Net is definitely worse lately. We've had a major influx of granola. Maybe you have granola intolerance like I do. Milk doesn't seem to counteract it.

#12 2010-01-19 06:51:35

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

I don't mean the forums, I mean the IRC chat.

#13 2010-01-19 09:05:12

shadowwolfx
Elder Alpha

I mostly meditate to realign myself, to bring my mind centered, center and strengthen my energy and quite my mind and I'm not really sure what you meant by throwing energy but if you mean energy shields/energy manipulation I'm constantly doing it  and no, do not need meditation to do so. i manipulate dark energy. Tho, extremely powerful, darker energy don't last long in the day so I'm constantly tossing more power into my spiritual shields and that in itself comes natural.

*i hope your leaving me out of that granola comment I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that but it sounds demeaning*

Last edited by shadowwolfx (2010-01-19 09:12:01)

They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, "Search for Paradise."

#14 2010-01-20 05:46:21

WolfVanZandt
Website

I'm not including anyone in particular in the granola comment. It's endemic. In particular, no, I don't consider magic use granola. I don't even consider reincarnation granola but the way it's being thrown around by "Therians" on some forums is very granola-ish. Demons (a la Pullman), werewolves vs. vampires, pink dragons fluttering around people's heads, and angelwings - those are granola. But most of all granola is a a fluffy, fuzzy frame of minds that trigger hives and migraines in aging Werewolves.

I'm even on the IRC. Not very often but as often as I can. A forum is 10 or 15 minutes; a chatroom is half an hour or more. i rarely stay in one place for that long.

#15 2010-01-20 10:02:56

Siverwolf

Having a attitude isn't always a bad thing.  I have always admired Therians with an attitude.  (respectively)!  wink

Siverwolf.

Homo - Lycanthropus

#16 2010-01-20 17:54:07

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

What VanZandt calls "granola" is best described as "stupidity" to someone who can spot it.
It's actually hard to give a definition as to what is and what isn't stupidity on therian forums.  Mainly it's comments that make us sound extra-crazy to people outside the community, perhaps because they have been taken from entirely fictional sources or because they are from a 13 year old trying to be epic.  I know there's actually no way to stop them, and there's no reason to complain, but they get annoying sometimes.

WolfVanZandt wrote:

Daimons (a la Pullman) are granola.

Only if you talk about Pullman too much (more than one scentence) or do something to make them stupid.  And before you respond, remember that Socrates actually takes your ideas alot more seriously than I do.

EDIT: actually, that makes an interesting point: Things aren't "granola" until you make them.  Magic and the whole "were-powers" thing have some actual merit, it's what people ascribe to them out of fiction that makes them stupid.  It takes a LONG time to be able to use magic to do stuff, and even then, I never see anyone doing anything I would describe as "impressive" or even that useful.  I've certainly never heard of anyone shooting fireballs out of wands with cores made out of phoenix feathers and all that.

Last edited by SherlawkDragon (2010-01-20 18:07:38)

#17 2010-01-20 23:06:57

WolfVanZandt
Website

Well, that doesn't give me hives or migraines, so it must not be granola.

#18 2010-01-20 23:14:39

shadowwolfx
Elder Alpha

WVZ, do you have an instant messenger you use id like the opportunity to speak with you

#19 2010-01-21 01:33:33

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

ShadowWolfX wrote:

WVZ, do you have an instant messenger you use id like the opportunity to speak with you

He does, but he's never on.

WolfVanZandt wrote:

Well, that doesn't give me hives or migraines, so it must not be granola.

Hah, Socrates wins again.
Like I said though, it's only stupid if you make it stupid.  There are people who have made claims which I would normally find OUTRAGEOUS, I'm talking about wild astral-projection antics and carrying on conversations with trees, but if you keep an open mind, stuff doesn't seem that unreasonable when the people saying it seem to be reasonable themselves. (of course, the more outrageous a claim is, the more reasonable one has to be: It takes alot more for me to believe someone has a high-level paranormal experience than it does for me to believe someone has identified a totem animal.)

#20 2010-01-21 01:51:05

WolfVanZandt
Website

Aye. I have Yahoo IM on my office computer - but it's my office computer and I don't use it much for personal use (only emergencies). I almost never go on Yahoo at home. And I'm an atavistic throwback and wouldn't know how to tell you to hook up with me anyway.

Best way to talk to me over cyberspace is to shoot me an email.

#21 2010-01-21 10:51:25

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Always VanZandt.

#22 2010-01-21 22:59:06

SouthPaw

It's like watching the Cafe odd couple, you two.  But I mean that in a good way. big_smile

#23 2010-01-22 00:34:49

WolfVanZandt
Website

O.o

Okay.

Which one is supposed to be Felix Unger?

#24 2010-01-22 00:43:47

SouthPaw

Heh, I had a feeling you'd ask that. smile  It's not that either of you match the characters, so much as you tend to bounce commentary off each other.  It makes for a good read.

#25 2010-01-22 02:34:58

WolfVanZandt
Website

Boy! Sherlawk. Did you see how smoothly he got out of that. I like this guy.

Actually, I think we're more like the Tappit brothers.

Board footer