The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-22 13:07:08

Viergacht

"Red Riding Hood" 2011 (formerly "The Girl with the Red Riding Hood")

http://nowakoskipainting.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/red-riding-hood-print-c1010063311.jpg

From the LA Times:

Maybe the only people who embrace "Twilight" and "New Moon" more than Twi-hards are Hollywood executives, who have been feverishly trying to develop the next "Twilight," or at least re-position movies they have as the second coming of same. (Universal tried that a few months ago with a movie called "Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant," which didn't work out so well.)

Now Warner Bros. appears to be making strides toward getting its own Gothic story of werewolves and young-woman-in-peril closer to the screen -- and with the director of "Twilight," no less.xThe company has been developing a movie called "The Girl With the Red Riding Hood," a modern-day spin on the Brothers Grimm story from Leonardo DiCaprio's production company, since last year. In December, the studio entered a holding deal -- basically an arrangement in which the director and studio commit to each other exclusively for a set period of time -- with Catherine Hardwicke, the filmmaker behind "Twilight" who parted ways with the studio for "New Moon."

As that deal comes due this month, it's increasingly looking like "Girl With the Red Riding Hood" will move forward with Hardwicke. There's also plenty of other momentum:  The studio has a new version of the script, which "Orphan" writer David Johnson has been working on the last several months. And producers are starting to go out to cast, with Amanda Seyfried -- fresh off her "Dear John" turn and with at least one girl-oriented dark role, "Jennifer's Body," under her belt -- one of the few names the studio would like to hook.

The story is an update of Little Red Riding Hood, with the requisite dark/dangerous/romantic elements that can appeal to "Twilight" fans -- while also attracting audiences who simply like the fairy tale. (The script has gotten high marks from power players around town, who describe it as elevated genre material a la this weekend's "Shutter Island.") True, "Riding Hood" doesn't have Kristen Stewart, Taylor Lautner or Robert Pattinson playing Bella, Jacob or Edward -- but then those stars were made by "Twilight," not the other way around.

The biggest thing working against the Warner Bros. movie may be that that it doesn't derive from Stephenie Meyer's global bestsellers but from the work of a couple of German academics circa the early 19th century. But when it comes to finding the next "Twilight," these may be mere details.

#2 2010-02-22 13:53:11

zockereinstein

Re: "Red Riding Hood" 2011 (formerly "The Girl with the Red Riding Hood")

Sure, in fact, there is no need to "copy" anything.... had they ever tried to be a bit original? C'mon, you can do it better wink

#3 2010-02-22 15:08:40

Viergacht

zockereinstein wrote:

Sure, in fact, there is no need to "copy" anything.... had they ever tried to be a bit original? C'mon, you can do it better wink

Original? Hollywood? Surely you jest.

#4 2010-02-22 15:44:51

bdk336
Website

If they're going to rip off an old story, they can at least give it a chance to be decent by not trying to rip off modern successes in the same production. Even if I liked Twilight I still wouldn't like how studios are just trying to copy it because it's fan base happens to be large.

#5 2010-02-22 16:18:27

WereWolfH

this could work. Leonardo Di Caprio's company so he should be on top of making it work. Catherine should have the Twilight fanbase and she did well or Summitt did well with marketing so... I think this could work if done well. I wonder if the wolf's going to be a werewolf or if the girl hooks up with a guy and is saved by him.

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

#6 2010-02-23 08:59:06

Daninsky
Website

Wel, well, with "twilight" clones like "The Vampire Diaries" popping up left and right they will have to push this out pretty fast to make a dime on it, and Hardwicke as director?
Seriously?
Sure you can write "by the director of twilight" on the poster then, but I wouldn't place my trust in somebody that couldn't even handle that piece.

But yeah, I guess if you keep an eye on the budget you can live from the "twilight" base alone.

Call no man happy 'til he dies

#7 2010-02-23 12:59:17

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Yeah. Vampires and werewolves sell. It's only natural that hollywood would try and cash in on it until they've raped every classic story out there.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#8 2010-02-23 20:57:10

WereWolfH

Daninsky wrote:

Wel, well, with "twilight" clones like "The Vampire Diaries" popping up left and right they will have to push this out pretty fast to make a dime on it, and Hardwicke as director?
Seriously?
Sure you can write "by the director of twilight" on the poster then, but I wouldn't place my trust in somebody that couldn't even handle that piece.

But yeah, I guess if you keep an eye on the budget you can live from the "twilight" base alone.

haha, only being technical, but Vampire Diaries came out WAYYYYY before Twilight was even written. Hmmm, now that I think of it, I wonder if Stephenie Meyer read VAmpire Diaries and was inspired by it somewhat.

Anyway I'm stoked. For some reason, seeing a hot girl (she's legal right?) in a red cloak's my new thing. Ever since Anna in Trick R Treat.

#9 2010-02-24 09:41:01

Daninsky
Website

WereWolfH wrote:

haha, only being technical, but Vampire Diaries came out WAYYYYY before Twilight was even written. Hmmm, now that I think of it, I wonder if Stephenie Meyer read VAmpire Diaries and was inspired by it somewhat.

Can't say anything about the books never saw them, but the show they made from them is clearly marketed at the "twilight" crowd.

However, if the books did come out before "twilight", and if they are anything like the TV-Show looks to be, then it might very well be that Stephenie was, say, inspired by them.

Last edited by Daninsky (2010-02-24 09:45:46)

Call no man happy 'til he dies

#10 2010-08-03 17:18:53

Viergacht

Now retitled "Red Riding Hood", here's some new info: http://io9.com/5603016/amanda-seyfrieds … -has-horns

#11 2010-08-05 07:11:38

Toreador82

This seems like an interesting movie.  I hope it's worth whatever budget they have set for it.

Last edited by Toreador82 (2010-08-05 07:16:06)

We enjoy the night, the darkness, where we can do things that aren't acceptable in the light. Night is when we slake our thirst."
-William Hill
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein

#12 2010-08-05 07:19:19

Toreador82

Daninsky wrote:

WereWolfH wrote:

Can't say anything about the books never saw them, but the show they made from them is clearly marketed at the "twilight" crowd.

However, if the books did come out before "twilight", and if they are anything like the TV-Show looks to be, then it might very well be that Stephenie was, say, inspired by them.

Actually I have read both series.  There may be a few similarities like the love triangle.  Vampire Diaries Stefan - Elena - Damon; Twilight Edward - Bella - Jacob.  So the love triangle is evident in both.   Accept in the books for L.J. Smith's series Elena is really not a nice person as a vampire like Bella is.  I do have to agree however about the show.  Much to my dismay aside from the character names they rarily went by the book at all.  I hope this movie actually proves to be worth its weight.

We enjoy the night, the darkness, where we can do things that aren't acceptable in the light. Night is when we slake our thirst."
-William Hill
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein

#13 2010-11-16 21:32:52

Viergacht

Trailer is out: http://io9.com/5691742/red-riding-hood- … ex-and-fur

It's just called "Little Red Riding Hood" now. Not much werewolfery, just a blurred bipedal shape and the usual lion and tiger noises.

#14 2010-11-17 04:25:46

wolfblood17

Just saw the trailer.  Can't believe the brilliant Gary Oldman signed up for this crap.  I won't be wasting money on this.

big_smile (with fangs!)

#15 2010-11-17 08:52:33

tebaldo86

I predict that this film is a masterpiece of werewolves. I also make a prediction. Guys, I think it's too obvious that the werewolf is Gary Oldman, I think he is such a kind of monster hunter, inquisitor or judge, and all the nice guys that shows the outline. For me the great big bad wolf is her.
Hugs to everyone I love you.
I would like to thank in a special way that Viergacht us updated on this film.
May God bless you all friends

wink

P.S.
I hope that the werewolf is big bad and slow and painful transformation. Maybe my dream is coming true.
Come on, we always knew everyone, since we were kids on the bed, our mother told us this story, but we all know how that really went the facts and the Big Bad Wolf and Little Red Riding Hood fairy tale was that the grandmother if she ate. Little Red Riding Hood then, to hide the crime, said that a wolf was anonymous, recounting the events to the brothers Grim differently. We all know that Little Red Riding Hood was a maniac, hahahahaha.

cool

Last edited by tebaldo86 (2010-11-20 07:11:06)

Female werewolves Forever!!! lol

#16 2010-11-21 02:45:49

Moonlit Hunter

I think this could turn out to be cool. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it will turn out, in the end, that we'll find out there's more than one werewolf.

Anyways, I like the story of Red Riding Hood, but am skeptical about this movie. I will still go see it. Hopefully it will be good. There is a shortage of decent werewolf movies being released recently.

#17 2010-11-22 04:03:51

Reptile

Wow, God damn.

Ahem.

By the powers of Yog-Sothoth, by the name of the Gate, by the name of the Key, by the name of the Guardian, I COMMAND YOU! BEGONE FOUL ABOMINATION!

I!

DENY!

YOU!

Also: Would much rather have had this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7qqMRTqwfw

Last edited by Reptile (2010-11-22 19:13:19)

WARNING: The contents of this post may be vitriolic and/or offensive to samurai warriors, ninjas, tough dudes, computer using felines and people with pure wolfy spirits. Viewer discretion is advised.

#18 2010-11-30 03:37:23

WereWolfH

finally saw the trailer to this. IT looks very cool. Reminds me of Sleepy HOllow movie. I'm glad Catherine's doing a very good quality (visually) movie. I didn't see a "werewolf." That was the implication in the movie though, not sure if it's gonna be a Twilight kinda werewolf or not...

I'll be seeing this though

#19 2010-11-30 05:00:52

Warchildsilver

I have no choice - it was filmed in Vancouver (where I live) and my friend is in it.  If I don't see it, he will refuse to speak to me. big_smile

*They were always here.  I just unlocked the door.*

#20 2010-12-22 15:07:28

tebaldo86

Female werewolves Forever!!! lol

#21 2011-01-16 22:46:06

WereWolfH

When does this come out again?

#22 2011-01-17 01:15:56

Moonlit Hunter

WereWolfH wrote:

When does this come out again?

Should be March, I think, unless something has changed.

#23 2011-02-25 23:30:08

WereWolfH

So I can't tell, is this gonna be another huge wolf? A four legged werewolf? Or a bipedal? Has anyone gotten a still/pic of the wolf

#24 2011-02-26 01:06:01

Moonlit Hunter

WereWolfH wrote:

So I can't tell, is this gonna be another huge wolf? A four legged werewolf? Or a bipedal? Has anyone gotten a still/pic of the wolf

So far, nothing that I have seen from previews or still shots has shown the wolf AT ALL. I think they are doing this on purpose. But... only two weeks until it comes out now. So we'll find out soon.

#25 2011-03-04 12:55:33

The Busboy
Administrator

Can't wait to see this movie next week!

Board footer