The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#26 2011-03-04 17:42:04

The Busboy
Administrator

Re: "Red Riding Hood" 2011 (formerly "The Girl with the Red Riding Hood")

#27 2011-03-11 01:16:27

Moonlit Hunter

It comes out today! I was going to go to the midnight release, but then I had to work instead cause of Spring Break being this week. sad

Anyone else go to a midnight release? Did you like it?

#28 2011-03-11 16:39:41

The Busboy
Administrator

Today is the day, it is out in theaters!  Everyone who saw it, please post.

#29 2011-03-12 01:20:56

Moonlit Hunter

Well, I saw it today. smile

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. I did think that it would end up being some super sickly romance, but the romantic aspect was downplayed much more than I expected. The focus of the movie was more centered on the mystery of, "Who is the werewolf?" Kind of like that old game... where you have one werewolf among villagers, and you have to figure out who it is. Granted, that got a little cheesy in some places. But when they finally do reveal who the werewolf is, at least it made sense and was the logical culmination of all the "clues" that they threw out there.

As for the wolf itself... Okay, it might have been a bit over done on the CGI front. The body was shaped a bit differently than a normal wolf, but it was quadrupedal and recognizeable as a wolf more than a beast. They used some Hollywood lore for it as well. Silver could hurt it, is walked during the full moon, couldn't change during the day, a bite would turn you (but only if it happened during a "blood moon" that occurred once every thirteen years), and it couldn't cross consecrated ground.

The start of the movie was somewhat abrupt and awkward. Once it got going, it smoothed out a bit. The very end of it was also a little abrupt, I thought.

Also, Gary Oldman in a purple dress was amusing. Rather amusing.

What I loved best about this movie is that absolutely everything that happens in it happens for a reason, even the most mundane scenes. Absolutely every moment is dedicated to propelling the plot, even the parts that are cheesy. Everything ties in together in a neat little package.

#30 2011-03-12 13:52:12

chips493

Is there a Tf scene?

Last edited by chips493 (2011-03-12 13:52:36)

#31 2011-03-12 19:18:47

blackjack60
Website

chips493 wrote:

Is there a Tf scene?

Some folks who'd seen it were asked that on the imdb discussion board. According to them, there aren't any.

#32 2011-03-12 22:47:12

WolfMontana

Nice, thanks for the review. smile I have to see it, as it is a werewolf movie, but now I have a tiny smidge of hope that it won't be a terrible waste of time big_smile

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#33 2011-03-13 01:33:43

mrRW

Moonlit Hunter wrote:

Well, I saw it today. smile

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised.

Have to say that I as well was pleasantly surprised.

I really enjoyed some of the sweeping forest cinematography that they showed at the beginning and a bit at the end.  Except for the fact that you can sooo tell that the town is miniature version.

The dialogue and many of the subplots are lacking in many places and I believe this is why it got crappy reviews. 

The cool part to me is that the wolf was a cognizant being instead of the usual crazed beast that we are used to seeing.  The ending for me was very cool and I have to say my favorite part (may elaborate on this more after more people have seen it).  Stay till after the credits as you get a small surprise. 

Overall nice to see a refreshingly different take on a werewolf movie and an old classic.

Last edited by mrRW (2011-03-13 01:34:55)

#34 2011-03-14 10:50:19

The Busboy
Administrator

From another forum topic that was closed (since this one already existed):

werewolfwriter wrote:

Rushed to multiplex to see Red Riding Hood over the weekend and was not disappointed. I reviewed in my blog
Here's what I said

Red Riding Hood is exactly what it should be: a grownup retelling of one of our most memorable fairytales, with a horror spin. It has interpersonal conflict, a complex storyline, romance -- but it also stays true to the elements that made the tale so compelling to us as children. There is the underlying theme of sexual awakening, the symbolism of the red cape, the opposition of good and evil. Even the talking wolf, the walk through the woods to grandmother’s house and the line, “What big eyes you have,†are worked in.

The high production values -- sumptuous period costumes and sets -- completely immerse us in a medieval world, and yet the swooping, swerving camera lends the film modern-day immediacy -- as well as a perpetual feeling of unease.
In its creation of an olden-days town surrounded by menace, the atmospheric film is reminiscent of M. Night Shyamalan’s “The Village.†But here, the story is NOT torpedoed by awful plot turns...

to check out rest of review, visit my blog at http://freedomshammer.wordpress.com

#35 2011-03-14 10:53:16

The Busboy
Administrator

I saw it on Saturday night, and I very much enjoyed it.  I will get it when it comes out on DVD.

#36 2011-03-14 11:47:46

WolfMontana

mrRW wrote:

The cool part to me is that the wolf was a cognizant being instead of the usual crazed beast that we are used to seeing.  The ending for me was very cool and I have to say my favorite part (may elaborate on this more after more people have seen it).

Awesome! big_smile

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#37 2011-03-15 01:15:01

Lycanis

the only bad thing they did't have a werewolf transformation tho.

#38 2011-03-15 01:22:00

Moonlit Hunter

Lycanis wrote:

I consider that a plus, personally. I'd rather it be offscreen and left to the imagination then show something that would decrease the quality of the movie.

#39 2011-03-15 01:52:32

Lycanis

ya i gess your right

#40 2011-03-15 01:53:11

Lycanis

your think there could be a sequel or how would you handle a second movie ?

#41 2011-03-15 10:17:53

zockereinstein

Moonlit Hunter wrote:

Lycanis wrote:

I consider that a plus, personally. I'd rather it be offscreen and left to the imagination then show something that would decrease the quality of the movie.

At least is the CHEAPEST way xD.

#42 2011-03-15 19:28:25

WereWolfH

Okay just got time off to see this. It was cool! The wolf looked great. Definitely will buy this on dvd. YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS MOVIE. Yeah I agree with (forgot who said they'd buy this on dvd before me).

Moonlit Hunter wrote:

Lycanis wrote:

True true. Why do people care if there's a transformation. Sheesh. I know I know I ask this a lot.

Lycanis wrote:

your think there could be a sequel or how would you handle a second movie ?

There could be, but it seemed like a one movie deal. I guess if it makes a crap load then perhaps??? I could see it happening.

SPOILER                               SPOILER                                     SPOILER

Anyhow I thought the movie was GREAT! The ending could have been stronger. LOVED THE LOOK OF THE WOLF except for the color. The werewolf's always been a grey/charcoal color and I would have liked that for at least one of them. And someone please explain, did the dad kill his mother or mother in law? I didn't get that. And also if the eldest sister had been talking to him, would he have just taken her and ran or taken the whole family? Last question, what happened to the dad's dad?

Last edited by WereWolfH (2011-03-15 19:45:21)

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

#43 2011-03-15 23:05:23

alphanubilus

WereWolfH wrote:

Anyhow I thought the movie was GREAT! The ending could have been stronger. LOVED THE LOOK OF THE WOLF except for the color. The werewolf's always been a grey/charcoal color and I would have liked that for at least one of them. And someone please explain, did the dad kill his mother or mother in law? I didn't get that. And also if the eldest sister had been talking to him, would he have just taken her and ran or taken the whole family? Last question, what happened to the dad's dad?

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER....

Cesaire murdered his mother. When Cesaire lured Lucy. Had she understood him and had she accepted his gift. He would have turned her into a wolf and left. As the eldest, she would get first dibs. Had she rejected his claim he would have pleaded with Valerie. Nothing is ever explained in the book nor in the movie as to what happened to his dad...

Now for my review of the film...

I think Red Riding Hood would have been a better movie had the writers/producers decided to actually give the movie a first Act. You sort of start the movie, in the middle of things, of which is sort of strange, especially as the novelization of the script, starts the movie off with the town being attacked by the Wolf, and Valerie (as a child) meeting it for the first time, and oddly enough, not showing fear. The book then sets up the main characters, their views, and the major plot points of the story. Had the writing been better, it would have been actually decent. The movie on the other hand, begins in a very odd way, and in fact you don't even hear the lead character's name until almost 20 minutes of the film. In short it is a bit jarring. Once you get past the first 30 or 40 minutes though, the last half of the movie opens up, and the story actually kicks off. The ending is a bit abrupt, but is okay...

I have to be honest though, as a screenwriter, and part time screenplay consultant, they really needed to work on their script, story development, and over all plot holes. This film is full of them, to an almost ludicris degree.

From the get go, the state that their Wolf is a werewolf. It is terrorizing their town, and yet it hasn't killed ANYBODY for over 20 years. They placate the wolf with little animal sacrifices that apparently feed it. The logic issues here are astounding. What makes them think it is a werewolf? If it is a werewolf why haven't they considered that one of them might be the werewolf? Why doesn't anybody in the town have silver weapons. If Holy Relics (as they do in the film) can hurt the wolf, and they know it, why don't they place them all around the town?
Why did they wait for 20 years to decide to try and hunt the beast....? See what I mean... the whole first part of the movie is a mess of illogical behavior.

Firstly it wasn't uncommon for wolves to predate close to villages. In fact many villagers would sacrifice weak and or dying members of their flocks to feed the wolves and thus placate them and keep them from hunting the good stuff. There is even a tale about a priest who made a pact with a wolf, in such a manner. A Wolf killing small game (not humans) wouldn't be terrifying at all. In fact by feeding the Wolf and keeping it around, the town was actually being protected by other predators, such as bears...

So they have a Wolf that hasn't killed anybody. It kills small game that THEY give it, and it ONLY kills those animals... Mmmm I'd rather love to have a wolf like that.

But you see the village already knows that it is a WEREWOLF. Red Riding Hood doesn't even dare to explain as to how they came about this knowledge. While it wasn't uncommon for supposed rumors of Lupe Garou (The Beast of le Gevoudan) to abound when dealing with a tenancious killing machine, they usually surmize this because of the methodological killing of innocent people... not animals. The reality is, a regular wolf is just as capable of coming back and helping itself to a free meal as a werewolf.

As I mentioned earlier if they knew it was a werewolf, why hadn't they created silver weapons, and realized that its human counterpart was living amongst them. I understand that these people weren't private investigators, but as supersticious as they were back then, they would have suspected each other from all along.

The problem with them already knowing it is a werewolf, leads to another issue, "Father Solomon". His whole role is rather pointless. He doesn't bring them any new information and he is rather horrible at killing the beast. He states the obvious, or what should have been the obvious. His whole purpose is simply to add filler, and he even devolves into a villian role.

Once you get past all of this though, the story finally unfolds. The Wolf is stylized but very well done. I agree with WereWolfH, it would have been nice if they had different colors besides black, but I think they did it for the visual style. Black against Red carries strong sexual undertones. I like the idea that the Wolf, while making bad mistakes, wasn't itself evil. He was wronged and wanted revenge. He did some bad things in the end, and even regretted it. It was really odd to see how Valerie would immediately turn against him though. Her father was deeply flawed and in my opinion began to act like a beast that was trapped, as in many ways he was trapped in a horrible life. Married to a wife who didn't love him. Made fun of and cruely treated by his neighbores. Living in poverty, when he could do so much more... all because he couldn't bear to be away from the girls he loved. I don't like how they sort of through it all out the window.

Of course the story ends with Peter becoming a Wolf. I saw that one coming... A. His name is Peter, and B. he's rebellious, stand offish, and for heavens sake he already looks like a wolf and acts like one. As the name Peter is connected to both the Russian folk tale, Peter and the Wolf and a true werewolf story (Peter Stubbe)... It wasn't a hard guess. Of course we KNOW that Peter is going to be a good wolf... tongue

So in the end... I give it 2.5 Paws out of 5...

#44 2011-03-15 23:22:34

WereWolfH

Again, everyone go see this movie, if at all for the look of the werewolf. Did you guys get the impression it could be an updated (if they ever updated the movie) G'mork?

SPOILER                                       SPOILER                                        SPOILER

alphanubilus wrote:

WereWolfH wrote:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER....

Cesaire murdered his mother. When Cesaire lured Lucy. Had she understood him and had she accepted his gift. He would have turned her into a wolf and left. As the eldest, she would get first dibs. Had she rejected his claim he would have pleaded with Valerie. Nothing is ever explained in the book nor in the movie as to what happened to his dad...

Now for my review of the film...

I think Red Riding Hood would have been a better movie had the writers/producers decided to actually give the movie a first Act. You sort of start the movie, in the middle of things, of which is sort of strange, especially as the novelization of the script, starts the movie off with the town being attacked by the Wolf, and Valerie (as a child) meeting it for the first time, and oddly enough, not showing fear. The book then sets up the main characters, their views, and the major plot points of the story. Had the writing been better, it would have been actually decent. The movie on the other hand, begins in a very odd way, and in fact you don't even hear the lead character's name until almost 20 minutes of the film. In short it is a bit jarring. Once you get past the first 30 or 40 minutes though, the last half of the movie opens up, and the story actually kicks off. The ending is a bit abrupt, but is okay...

I have to be honest though, as a screenwriter, and part time screenplay consultant, they really needed to work on their script, story development, and over all plot holes. This film is full of them, to an almost ludicris degree.

From the get go, the state that their Wolf is a werewolf. It is terrorizing their town, and yet it hasn't killed ANYBODY for over 20 years. They placate the wolf with little animal sacrifices that apparently feed it. The logic issues here are astounding. What makes them think it is a werewolf? If it is a werewolf why haven't they considered that one of them might be the werewolf? Why doesn't anybody in the town have silver weapons. If Holy Relics (as they do in the film) can hurt the wolf, and they know it, why don't they place them all around the town?
Why did they wait for 20 years to decide to try and hunt the beast....? See what I mean... the whole first part of the movie is a mess of illogical behavior.

Firstly it wasn't uncommon for wolves to predate close to villages. In fact many villagers would sacrifice weak and or dying members of their flocks to feed the wolves and thus placate them and keep them from hunting the good stuff. There is even a tale about a priest who made a pact with a wolf, in such a manner. A Wolf killing small game (not humans) wouldn't be terrifying at all. In fact by feeding the Wolf and keeping it around, the town was actually being protected by other predators, such as bears...

So they have a Wolf that hasn't killed anybody. It kills small game that THEY give it, and it ONLY kills those animals... Mmmm I'd rather love to have a wolf like that.

But you see the village already knows that it is a WEREWOLF. Red Riding Hood doesn't even dare to explain as to how they came about this knowledge. While it wasn't uncommon for supposed rumors of Lupe Garou (The Beast of le Gevoudan) to abound when dealing with a tenancious killing machine, they usually surmize this because of the methodological killing of innocent people... not animals. The reality is, a regular wolf is just as capable of coming back and helping itself to a free meal as a werewolf.

As I mentioned earlier if they knew it was a werewolf, why hadn't they created silver weapons, and realized that its human counterpart was living amongst them. I understand that these people weren't private investigators, but as supersticious as they were back then, they would have suspected each other from all along.

The problem with them already knowing it is a werewolf, leads to another issue, "Father Solomon". His whole role is rather pointless. He doesn't bring them any new information and he is rather horrible at killing the beast. He states the obvious, or what should have been the obvious. His whole purpose is simply to add filler, and he even devolves into a villian role.

Once you get past all of this though, the story finally unfolds. The Wolf is stylized but very well done. I agree with WereWolfH, it would have been nice if they had different colors besides black, but I think they did it for the visual style. Black against Red carries strong sexual undertones. I like the idea that the Wolf, while making bad mistakes, wasn't itself evil. He was wronged and wanted revenge. He did some bad things in the end, and even regretted it. It was really odd to see how Valerie would immediately turn against him though. Her father was deeply flawed and in my opinion began to act like a beast that was trapped, as in many ways he was trapped in a horrible life. Married to a wife who didn't love him. Made fun of and cruely treated by his neighbores. Living in poverty, when he could do so much more... all because he couldn't bear to be away from the girls he loved. I don't like how they sort of through it all out the window.

Of course the story ends with Peter becoming a Wolf. I saw that one coming... A. His name is Peter, and B. he's rebellious, stand offish, and for heavens sake he already looks like a wolf and acts like one. As the name Peter is connected to both the Russian folk tale, Peter and the Wolf and a true werewolf story (Peter Stubbe)... It wasn't a hard guess. Of course we KNOW that Peter is going to be a good wolf... tongue

So in the end... I give it 2.5 Paws out of 5...

Waiiiittt, I MUST'VE gone to get a drink. When did Valerie meet the wolf as a child? And how come the mama married Cesaire if he wasn't rich vs. Henry's dad who was. That's why the forced marriage right? Okay I think I know this but the special boy, was he killed? Or just badly burned? I know it was a torture machine, but...

OH AND I FORGOT TO ASK THIS. Was this JUST in the trailer or did I miss the part where Red Riding hood is breathing that foggy air and you're led to believe that the wolf is in front of her? (In the trailer they add the "Grandmother what big eyes you have...." part. I think I missed that. Was that a deleted scene?

#45 2011-03-16 00:41:29

blackjack60
Website

WereWolfH wrote:

Moonlit Hunter wrote:

Lycanis wrote:

True true. Why do people care if there's a transformation. Sheesh. I know I know I ask this a lot.

Because werewolf stories are about a person who changes into a wolf, and seeing something happen that could never happen in real life is one of the great thrills of a movie. Why leave something to the imagination when it makes for great visuals, which are the things movies do especially well? And since there are many ways to depict a transformation, and because the filmmakers have access to money and special effects available to only a few, we want to see the filmmakers use their resources and imagination.

Last edited by blackjack60 (2011-03-16 03:59:24)

#46 2011-03-16 10:22:18

zockereinstein

blackjack60 wrote:

WereWolfH wrote:

Moonlit Hunter wrote:

Because werewolf stories are about a person who changes into a wolf, and seeing something happen that could never happen in real life is one of the great thrills of a movie. Why leave something to the imagination when it makes for great visuals, which are the things movies do especially well? And since there are many ways to depict a transformation, and because the filmmakers have access to money and special effects available to only a few, we want to see the filmmakers use their resources and imagination.

Amen to that, buddy!

I must add that whenever I want to use my imagination, I'd rather read a book then watching a movie smile.

#47 2011-03-16 11:47:12

mrRW

WereWolfH wrote:

OH AND I FORGOT TO ASK THIS. Was this JUST in the trailer or did I miss the part where Red Riding hood is breathing that foggy air and you're led to believe that the wolf is in front of her? (In the trailer they add the "Grandmother what big eyes you have...." part. I think I missed that. Was that a deleted scene?

Go back and buy another ticket.  Thats one of the coolest parts!

#48 2011-03-16 16:06:30

The Busboy
Administrator

The "Grandmother, what big teeth you have" part was in the movie, it was part of a dream sequence.

#49 2011-03-17 13:29:08

WereWolfH

The Busboy wrote:

The "Grandmother, what big teeth you have" part was in the movie, it was part of a dream sequence.

no I know that part when she's talking to her Granny. But I mean the part in the trailer where she's breathing and inhaling what looks like the werewolf's breath like it walked up to her.  (Before the movie came out the trailer led you to believe the story was like the old fairy tales where they sacrificed the pretty girl and everyoen stayed inside)
let me see if I can find it hang on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekKMYAOmTj0  at 2:13-2:15 seconds where was that part in the movie?

#50 2011-03-18 02:11:35

mrRW

WereWolfH wrote:

The Busboy wrote:

no I know that part when she's talking to her Granny. But I mean the part in the trailer where she's breathing and inhaling what looks like the werewolf's breath like it walked up to her.  (Before the movie came out the trailer led you to believe the story was like the old fairy tales where they sacrificed the pretty girl and everyoen stayed inside)
let me see if I can find it hang on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekKMYAOmTj0  at 2:13-2:15 seconds where was that part in the movie?

I dont where you were or what you were doing but that part IS IN THE MOVIE.  Sounds like a bit of bad luck but i'd go see it again.

Board footer