The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-17 23:18:18

Akugarou
Website

Has anyone read werewolf books by Lori Handeland?

She actually earns a living writing Romance novels, but all three of the werewolf books she has written (Dark Moon, Hunter's Moon, & Blue Moon) are very good, at least according to reviews I have read.

Any comments?

"Another year has passed me by
Still I look a myself and cry
What kind of man have I become?"

--STYX, "Man In The Wilderness" The Grand Illusion

#2 2005-09-20 09:19:03

The Busboy
Administrator

Re: Has anyone read werewolf books by Lori Handeland?

#3 2005-09-20 15:17:10

The Busboy
Administrator

There are 4 werewolf related books, they are:
"Blue Moon", "Hunter's Moon", "Stroke of Midnight" and "Dark Moon."

#4 2005-09-20 15:18:07

The Busboy
Administrator

Yes, I've seen and heard of the book "Blue Moon".

#5 2005-09-20 23:43:26

Akugarou
Website

The Busboy wrote:

a link to the paranormal books:
http://www.eclectics.com/lorihandeland/ … index.html

Quite informative.  Thanks!

But, I think you got some of your information mixed up though.  I found this further down the page:

For those who prefer to read Lori's books in
order, here's the line-up for her Full Moon series:
Blue Moon
Hunter's Moon
"Red Moon Rising" in Stroke of Midnight (an anthology)
Dark Moon
Crescent Moon (Coming Soon)

4 books, plus one short story published in an anthology.

Paranormal Romance?  Hmmm..   hmm

EDIT: grammar

Last edited by Akugarou (2005-09-20 23:46:57)

#6 2005-09-21 09:14:47

The Busboy
Administrator

P.S. You can join her Full Moon Club at http://www.eclectics.com/lorihandeland/ … /club.html

#7 2005-09-21 12:18:28

The Busboy
Administrator

Akugarou wrote:

[Crescent Moon (Coming Soon)

Yes, it will be out in February, 2006.

#8 2005-09-25 09:25:22

LoriHandeland

Hello!  Jim told me you were discussing my books over here and asked if I'd come and say a few words.

What a great site! 

As for the werewolf books, there are 3 full length novels that have been released and one novella.  The novels all take place in northern Wisconsin, the novella in Arizona.  They deal with werewolves, native American mysticism, Nazis and a secret special forces monster hunting unit known as the Jager-Suchers, or Hunter-Searchers. I've been told the books lean more toward urban fantasy than romance, but there is a romance in every book .

Right now I'm working on a second trilogy set in New Orleans and dealing wtih werewolves, voodoo and Jager-Suchers.  The first book is Crescent Moon and this will be released in Febuary, 2006.  The second, Midnight Moon, will be out in August and that book takes plce mostly in Haiti.  The third is titled Rising Moon and should be out in February, 2007.

Best,
Lori Handeland

#9 2005-09-25 14:30:09

The Busboy
Administrator

Lori, thank you so much for posting!  Welcome to The Werewolf Cafe!  I know from my personal interests that Wisconsin is rich in Native American history and Wisconsin has a famous American werewolf there too (the beast of Bray Road), so that is really intersting that your novels have werewolves and Native American aspects with a Wisconsin theme in them.  Your novella with the Arizona theme sounds great too, because I know Arizona is also rich in Native American culture.  The New Orleans books sound like they will be cool, I would like to check those out (I really like the culture and subcultures of New Orleans, and I have many good Friends that live in New Orleans and the surrounding areas).  Good luck with your release of "Crescent Moon" (makes me think of New Orleans the "Crescent City" now).  On a side note, I am very into archeaology, anthropology and mythology, and I am thinking from the subjects that you write about that you must be too, am I right?  I also know from the many authors I've met that they write many different ways, do you like to write during the day or at night, do you need music or for it to be really quiet when you write?  (there are quite a few writers and authors on this site)  Thank you so much posting, and again welcome to the site here!!

#10 2005-09-25 20:17:07

JamieD

I love the Jager Suchers!! I have several of your books Lori and I love em all!! big_smile

ask not for whom the bell tolls....it tolls for thee.

#11 2005-09-25 22:25:00

Akugarou
Website

Wow!  So happy to have the author herself posting here, that's so cool!

#12 2005-09-26 08:02:27

LoriHandeland

Thanks, JamieD!  I'm so glad you've been enjoying the books. 

Now to Busboy's questions--There is quite a bit of Ojibwe lore and mysticism in the first three books.  It was fascinating stuff--for me anyway.  LOL. 

I got the title Crescent Moon from the Crescent City and then worked the whole Crescent Moon curse in from there.  It was great fun.

I write during the day since that's when my kids are not here.  When I write best has never figured into it I'm afraid.  You gotta make hay while the sun shines!  Or write pages while no one's bugging you!

I know a lot of writers like to have music playing while they write, but I've never been able to concentrate that way.  I prefer an empty house and complete quiet.

Lori Handeland

#13 2005-09-26 08:52:10

The Busboy
Administrator

Lori, you rock, thanks for posting!  I gotta tell ya, I was at Barnes & Noble last night and I ran across two of your books on the shelves, and I picked them up and I showed them to my Sister who was there too, and she says "that's so cool" so now she is going to start reading them.

#14 2005-09-26 18:19:51

The Busboy
Administrator

I joined Lori's "Full Moon Club" and got a magnet and a bookmark in the mail.  Lori, I have your magnet hanging on my refrigerator at home now!

#15 2005-09-26 22:09:01

JamieD

I can't wait to read more!! big_smile

#16 2005-09-26 23:56:00

Army Grey Wolf
Werewolf Writer
Website

hehe im from wisconsin, ill have to read your books, reading your series would make for the third time wisconsin has been used in similar settings

Author of Blood Bounty, Wolf's Release V2, Man Eaters (incomplete), Aaliyah (in progress), Offer (short story), Hide (short story, published in Wizard), writer for an upcoming webcomic/graphic novel series featuring Aaliyah. 

One of these days I'm going to solicit my work for publishing, it's just that my work is pure and a publishing company needs to be reasonable with content editing...

#17 2005-09-27 08:03:31

LoriHandeland

Busboy, Thanks for recommending the books to your sister.  Hope she enjoys them.  Glad you liked the magnet!

Jamie, hope you continue to enjoy the books.  I'm really excited about Crescent Moon.  I think it's the best book yet.

Wolf, I hear you on the Wisconsin setting.  One of the reasons my editor was interested in the books was that the setting was so different and spooky.  It was fun for me to be able to use a place I knew so well.  When we moved the books to New Orleans, I had to go down there and do a bunch of research.  Which was fun though!

Lori Handeland

#18 2005-09-28 19:28:12

The Busboy
Administrator

Oh, I'm sure my Sister will like it, and she already looking forward to reading it, she checked out "Blue Moon" at the book store.

Do you have a personal favorite character?  What inspires you to write?  O.k., here's a wild question for you, have you ever been on vacation or out somewhere and seen someone reading one of your books?

#19 2005-09-29 07:49:45

LoriHandeland

Hey, Busboy,
My favorite character is usually the one in the book I just finished!  Of course I do have a special fondness for Jessie from Blue Moon since she started the whole series. She's also pretty funny.

What inspires me to write?  Different things--sometimes it's the story, sometimes it's a wonderful letter from a fan, and some days it's the threat of not getting a check if I don't!

I have never been anywhere and seen someone reading my book, although I've always wanted to be.

Lori Handeland

#20 2005-09-29 15:25:34

The Busboy
Administrator

Great post Lori, thank you!  That's very cool that the characters you like most are the ones you had just written about, as I would think it would be important to always be interested in what you're writing about as that would make the writing fun for you too (so you'ld always be enjoying your work).  I think it's great when you can enjoy your work.  You know from what I've seen your "Blue Moon" book must be very, very popular, how many copies were printed?  Is it international?  I have the feeling that sooner or later you will be seeing someone reading a copy of one of your books, I would bet they are very, very popular for summer vacation reading.  So I am going to keep asking you questions, as I always have a kabillion questions to ask people (but I'll be nice and not ask them all at the same time, ha, ha).  O.k., so how did you get published?  (There are a lot of writers on this site, and I bet they would be interested in knowing how to go about getting published one day)  Also, do you get to pick the covers for your books?  Or does the publisher do that?

#21 2005-09-29 22:54:18

Akugarou
Website

Thanks for posting Lori!  I'm interested writing as hobby, and some of your responses have me reflecting on how I find inspiration, and how I work through story ideas.

It was quite by accident how I discovered your werewolf books: I was shopping at a Target store when I strolled past an endcap with "Breakout Books" filling the shelves.  As I scanned through the titles, looking for certain key words that might be used in the title of a werewolf book, one caught my eye almost immediately.  It was "Dark Moon" ("Moon", and "Wolf" being two words I usually scan for).

After scanning through "Dark Moon" I soon discovered there were two books that preceeded it, so I put it down.  Not because I was disappointed in what I had saw in any way, I just wanted a chance to do some research before making a purchase.

Lori, from what I've read, the majority of the reviews (including industry and consumer "critics") are extremely positive!  So, the next time I go into the "Romance" section, I'm just going to ignore my brother's bewildered stares and continue to look for the next novel to add to my collection.

Last edited by Akugarou (2005-09-29 22:55:16)

#22 2005-09-30 07:53:22

LoriHandeland

Akugarou,
I hope you enjoy all the books.  I think they can all stand alone, however I always like to read things in order. 

Starting with Crescent Moon St. Martin's is going to call these books Nightcreature Novels and put an icon on all of them so people know which ones to look for.  I need to talk to them about putting a list in each one as to the order.

I didn't know they were doing that at Target for the book either until I went to my own, went around the end cap and shrieked, "Hey!" then grabbed  my book.  Some lady going by with her cart thought I was nuts.  But that happens to me a lot.  LOL.

I've been very blessed with the response to these books.  Great reviews, even in PW.  And I just won the RITA award from Romance Writers of America for Best Paranormal of 2004, which was very exciting.

Are you interested in writing paranormal romance?  Sci fi?  Horror?

Now on to Busboy's questions.  I do love to talk about writing!

Blue Moon has been published in the UK and Australia for sure, because I've heard from people there.  But as for other languages, not yet.  The publisher sells the book to individual contries and that can take years.

As for copies printed, a lot of publishers are very "cards to the chest" about this.  It's also hard to say because they'll print more copies when they get short and when the next book is released.

Authors have very little to do with the covers of their books.  Sometimes the publisher asks for suggestions or descriptions, sometimes they don't.  I only see my Harlequin covers after they're printed.

Designing a cover is a huge, complicated process that starts far in advance of release.  They take photos, compose the cover from different pictures, mess around with colors and fonts. 

St. Martin's lets me see the covers early.  I just saw an advance cover for my August 2006 book.  They also let me give suggestions at this stage, which is wonderful.  It's also very rare.

I have discovered that the covers I like or don't in no way relates to sales or what the consumer likes.  I once had a cover that I thought was the ugliest thing on paper--actually I've had a few--and everyone loves those, or they sell like crazy.  So I've given up and decided the marketing departments know what they're talking about!  Go figure.  smile

I got published 12 years ago by Dorchester Publishing.  My first published book was a western historical romance titled Second Chance.  I'd been submitting and getting rejected for about 2 years.  I'd gotten an agent and she'd sent this book in, but recently I'd have everythng rejected and I'd forgotten about this book being out since it had been there for quite awhile.  So when my agent called, I had no idea what she wanted.  Of course that was back in the days before cell phones, and no one I knew was home to tell!  I finally got a hold of one friend at work.  My husband didn't know until he got home that night.

Lori Handeland

#23 2005-09-30 15:53:48

JamieD

yes...I'm afraid that sometimes the covers sway my decisions on writers that I haven't read yet....but since reading yours Lori...you could probably put a pic of dirty laundry on there and I would still buy it!! LOL!!

#24 2005-09-30 20:24:59

The Busboy
Administrator

Ha, JamieD, you are too funny!

Lori, I had heard before that covers were picked by publishers and that did surprise me, so obviously there are marketing decisions or something being made by publishers to pick the right cover for sales someway I imagine.  If you think about it, it makes sense that someone who is a new author might have a better chance of selling their unknown book if it had an apealing cover.  Amazing how much work goes into the covers, thank you for that great insight.  I mostly shop for books on-line now, and I shop for them by book reviews or recommendations now (which is so different from what I did before), so I don't always see the real cover until I get the book in the mail.  So now I am wondering if as more and more people shop on-line then maybe covers won't be as important and the reviews will?  I have to tell you, if I read a really good book review on a new book, I am sold.  When I am in a bookstore and I see a book I might like, I immediately flip it over to read what it's about (or I read the inside flap if there isn't a synopsis on the back) and then I go on-line and read more reviews (I guess I'm kinda nerdy that way, ha, ha).  I am finding out that I like a wider range of books now (wish I had more time to read though, but don't we all, ha, ha).  O.k., a few more writing questions, o.k., and the topic is research, I know that many writers do a lot of research before they write a book, can you tell us a bit of what was involved with your researching of New Orleans for your upcoming book "Crescent Moon"?  O.k., on a side note, I am a huge fan of New Orleans and have quite a few Friends who live there (they are having it pretty rough right now), so I am wondering what your favorite parts of New Orleans were too, and if those places will be reflected in any of your future books?  Do you do on-line research too?  or library research?  Do you have a big library at home?

#25 2005-10-01 08:54:51

LoriHandeland

Jamie,
That's very nice of you!  Thanks.   Sadly I have  many piles of dirty laundry I could use on the covers.  Ha!
Lori

Board footer