The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#26 2005-10-01 09:43:46

LoriHandeland

Re: Has anyone read werewolf books by Lori Handeland?

Busboy,
That's interesting how you chose books.  I definitely think the way books are being bought is changing and the publishers are trying to catch up.  Reviews mean more than they used to and publishers put a lot on the covers and in the front of the book.  However, I've had several reviews where I wonder what book the reviewer read since they're talking about things that never happened in any book I wrote.  It's confusing. 

I do a lot of research for my books.  For the ones set in Wiscosnin I read a lot of books on Ojibwe culture, werewolves and WWII.  I also do internet research--for instance on rabies.  For my novella I researched the Apache and skinwalkers.  A lot of what I learned while researching those books I was able to use for New Orleans because I'm using the same werewolf world, just a different location.

My husband and I traveled to New Orleans last October and spent 3 days there.  I had been to New Orleans a few times before but I wanted to look at everything with an eye to the book.  We stayed in the French Quarter and toured the Garden District, the cemeteries, voodoo shops and the swamp.  It was fantastic.

I also read a lot of books on vodoo and the history of New Orleans.  My library at home is pretty big.  I like to buy my own research books so I can outline in them and come back for reference.  I rarely use the library anymore.

A lot of Crescent Moon takes place in the French Quarter in a fictional voodoo shop, but there are many places in the book that are real like Jackson Square, Muriel's, St. Louis Cemetery #1 and some jazz clubs on Frenchmans Street.  There is also an antebellum mansion in the swamp, which I made up, but it resembles some mansions I've seen.

The second book of this series takes place mostly in Haiti, which involved a lot more research into the country, its history and zombies.  Great fun!
Lori

#27 2005-10-01 13:07:10

The Busboy
Administrator

Lori, that is such a cool post!  You really saw a lot of cool areas in New Orleans when you were there.  I can already tell your story will be great just because of what you saw.  You were in the areas where some of my Friends live and work, that's so cool.  Unfortunately since hurricane Katrina things there are really a mess there now.  I like the idea of your fictional voodoo shop, and you can go anywhere writing with that idea.  I went to all the voodoo shops there that I could find and to a related church.  I think I was in about 5 voodoo shops, and since I go to Louisiana every year, I have been in a few of them more than once (I even have items I bought from them at home).  I am big into archaeology, anthroplology and mythology, so I like to learn about things and collect really unusal cultural art pieces or religious pieces from different cultures.  So, did you see Marie Laveau's grave at St. Louis #1?  Did you see Reverend Zombie's, Marie Laveau's House of Voodoo or the voodoo museum?  Did you see any of the antebellum and Greek revival homes along the river areas?

I hear you on what you say about reviewers, some of them probably don't even read the whole book they review, so I don't go by a printed review alone, I'll go to amazon.com or other sites to see what the star rating is and then I'll hen peck through about 10 to 20 customer type reviews and make my decision, so basically I research all my books before I buy them, and you know what, IT WORKS!  I have found great books that way.  I also gotta say, I love the internet, as if it wasn't for the internet, we would never be having this cool posting thing we got going on here, it's so awesome!

So cool about your home library, that makes total sense to do that.  I personally like to own all the nonfiction books I read, as I like to have them for reference.  Sounds like you have a great library at home, that's too cool.  I'm guessing you must have books at home with info on the Ojibwe culture then.  Do you have any Ojibwe handmade objects at home for inspiration?

#28 2005-10-02 08:35:13

LoriHandeland

Busboy,
Yes, we did see Marie Laveau's grave.  I used that in the book.  We went to Priestess Miriam's voodoo shop and temple.  Very interesting.  Also went to Oak Alley.

I have quite a few books on the Ojibwe culture, but sadly the extent of the handmade objects around here are some dreamcatchers my kids made in school.

For inspiration I have the covers of all my books framed and hung on the walls in my office.  I'm heading to a third wall now, which is always inspirational when the writing gets tough.

Lori

#29 2005-10-02 17:13:29

The Busboy
Administrator

Too cool Lori, glad you got to see Marie Laveau's grave, that is a highlight for sure, were there a lot of offerings there and X's on the tomb?  Glad you go to Oak Alley, I met quite a few people and even have emailed with people there too, I have been there at least seven times in the past few years.  I have seen Laura, Felicite and St. Joe's (which are right nearby there too).  Very cool about your framed book covers, what an acomplishment, that's just way too cool.

#30 2005-10-03 07:50:01

LoriHandeland

Yes, there were x's all over the tomb and flowers, stones etc for offerings.  Very interesting.  We also went on a ghost walk tour through the French Quarter.  I've done ghost walks in Williamsburg and Savannah.  I love them.

Lori

#31 2005-10-03 12:56:20

The Busboy
Administrator

Those ghost walking tours sound like a blast.  I hope to get to the square in Savannah someday, that would be a cool trip.  When I go to New Orleans, i end up giving tours to Friends I go with (since I've been there a lot, and did a lot of research on the town).  By the way, I heard from one of my Friends in New Orleans today, I got 2 emails from her, so glad she is home now and working on getting things back in order. 

So, do you ever go to any conventions?  As I heard there are conventions for writers?  Are they open to the public?  or private?  What are they like?  any fun things happen at them?  Where do they hold them? 

O.k., and now here's a fun question for ya, I'm sure you heard this one a kabillion and one times, but have you ever seen the movie "Romancing the Stone" (I think I know the answer to that one, ha, ha) and what do you think of that movie (can't wait to hear your thoughts on that one).

#32 2005-10-05 15:18:32

The Busboy
Administrator

Lori runs monthly contests on her site, here's a link on how to go about entering them:
http://www.eclectics.com/lorihandeland/contest.html

#33 2005-10-07 09:43:29

LoriHandeland

Huh, I posted a reply to the Romancing the Stone thing, but it never appeared.  Guess I'll try again.

Glad to hear your friends are back in NO and doing better.  I am supposed to go to a convention there the end of March. 

There are several kinds of conventions for writers.  The one in March is for published authors of genre fiction where we mostly talk about the business.  There are other conventions for romance writers--published and unpublished--as well as readers.  They hold these on both the local and national levels.  Many of them have booksignings which are open to the public.

I enjoy conferences because I get out of the house and get to see my friends and talk about books and writing.  Mostly I sit in my office all by myself, which isn't a bad thing, but it can get weird.  When I start talking to the grocery checkout lady too much, I know it's time for a conference!

Romancing the Stone is one of my all time favorite movies.  I laugh my head off in the beginning when they have the western romance part--which is all cliches and over written dialogue.   It's a hoot.

I can really relate to the part when she finishes the book and she has no tissues or TP in the house.  Things don't get that bad around here because I don't live alone, but it can get pretty iffy.  At the end of a book, I usually have a huge list of things I've put off that need to be done. 

There are a few other things that always make me laugh, too.  Most authors could never afford to live in NY.  Her publisher would never meet her to pick up her manuscript--or watch her cat.  The publisher is the head of the publishing company.  Her editor might meet her, but that would be iffy, too.  And she never mentions an agent, which an author of her caliber would have.  Her agent might watch her cat.  But mine wouldn't.  <g>

Lori

#34 2005-10-07 19:35:14

The Busboy
Administrator

Lori, you made me laugh WAY TOO MUCH after reading your last post above, you obviously have a great sense of humor!  Yeah, I would think that "Romancing the Stone" is a must see/must have for any writer who writes any romance at all, ha, ha.  That movie is so classic.  Ha, thanks for the insight too on how Hollywood took some creative liberties and got pretty far from the truth on some basic things in the film vs. real life.  Yeah, but all in all, what a great movie!  Thanks for your insight on the conventions.  Which ones are open to the public?  What kinds of things does the public get to do, what kind of events are there?  It sounds like it would be fun for people to get a chance to do that.  When and where are they?  I assume people would get a chance to get previously bought books autographed, new books at the convention autographed, meet and talk to authors, see upcoming books that publishing companies would have, right?  Maybe even get to hear some speaches or question/answer sessions?  So, at the conventions do the writers throw water balloons out of windows after hours?  Ha, ha!  Oh, back to New Orleans, yeah, I think I may be going for mardi gras, as the next mardi gras will be the 150th anniversary of the first parade there, so I am sure they will have something going on.  Yeah, my Friends are dealing with the clean-up and rebuilding, but I'm afraid it's going to take a lot of time though.

#35 2005-10-09 09:20:03

LoriHandeland

Busboy,
Most writers' conventions that have booksignings have those open to the public.  The Romantic Times convention is a readers' conventions, and though you have to pay to attend, anyone can.  At the RT convention there are lots of parties, booksignings, speeches, meetings and Q & A's.  The parties are very elaborate and people dress in costume--they always have a vampire ball, usually a formal costume party and then other theme parties.  Last year there was a terrific Roaring Twenties Party sponsored by Dorchester Publishing.
The conventions are in different cities every year.  And there are also local conventions sponsored by the local chapters of Romance Writers of America that usually have booksigings available to the public.  A lot of readers bring books they've already bought to be signed.  They usually just have to get a sticker at the door to mark them as previously purchased.

Lori

#36 2005-10-10 01:21:16

Kellswitch

That's interesting how you chose books.  I definitely think the way books are being bought is changing and the publishers are trying to catch up.  Reviews mean more than they used to and publishers put a lot on the covers and in the front of the book.  However, I've had several reviews where I wonder what book the reviewer read since they're talking about things that never happened in any book I wrote.  It's confusing. 

It's funny, I never read reviews of books.  I don't really care what other people think about them and taste is sooo subjective.  What catches my eye first is often the cover (I know, very shallow ) and then the description on the back.  And if there is nothing on the back (or inside of the cover ) but quotes, reviews and "praise" for the book, I immediatly put it back and move on to somthing else. 

This is a question for Lori, what got  you interested in the paranormal in general and werewolves in particular? 
I'm really looking foward to the series in New Orleans.  I was all set to go there for the first time this Halloween, and I love stores set there.

All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

#37 2005-10-10 09:13:32

LoriHandeland

Kellswitch,
I will also pick up a book because of the cove and look at the back blurb.  And I don't like it when there isn't a blurb either.  Not sure what that's about.  The reader wants to know the plot of the book.  But I don't usually buy a new author unless the book's been recommended by friends.  I don't read reviews unless they're my own.  And I shouldn't even read those.

I've always been interested in the paranormal.  Used to watch Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits and Dark Shadows all the time as a kid.  Not sure about werewolves except I like wolves. 

I wrote an historical werewolf book years ago for Dorchester, really loved writing it and got a great response to it, so I always wanted to do more. When editors started being interested in paranormal again, that's where I went.

Lori

#38 2005-10-10 10:20:51

Kellswitch

I've always been interested in the paranormal.  Used to watch Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits and Dark Shadows all the time as a kid.  Not sure about werewolves except I like wolves. 

I wrote an historical werewolf book years ago for Dorchester, really loved writing it and got a great response to it, so I always wanted to do more. When editors started being interested in paranormal again, that's where I went.

Likeing wolves is a very good reason I would think.  :-)

I always find it interesting how the paranormal phases in and out of "popularity".  It never really goes away but every once in a while, TPTB in the entertainment world decide it's popular again and really start churning it out. 

I remember reading that you have to write when you have the time becuase of your family.  I'm curious if you find that actually helpful or not since it forces you to write at any time.   I know lots of people that need a deadline of some sorts to actually get their work done and if you had all the time in the world, do you think this would allow you to procrastinate?

All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

#39 2005-10-10 14:06:55

year_of_the_wolf

Just a quick curiosity; What kind of, if any, difficulties did you have getting an agent?

"In the Year of the Wolf, all the world smelled good,
In the snow and the ice, all the rest was blood.
In the time of the tribe, we took a thousand lives, When I ran with the wolves,
And the hunting was good."  - Motorhead, In the Year of the Wolf

#40 2005-10-11 07:48:17

LoriHandeland

Kellswitch,
It is strange about the paranormal isn't it?  For awhile there was too much, then too little and now I fear there'll be too much again.  I guess it's always a cycle.  Right now there are way too many Regency romances out there and very few westerns (my favorite).  I'm waiting for that cycle to turn.

It's hard for me to say if having to write at certain times is helpful or not since I've never had it any other way.  I started writing when my kids were both under 3, which was quite a challenge.  I used to put them to bed, then write until midnight and go to work in the morning.  Now it's easier since they're in school and I can write all day.

But having deadlines keeps me focused.  When the kids leave, I write.  It's my job. 

Some days are easy, some hard, but in the end, I've never been able to tell by the  manuscript which days were which.  So I guess that's a good thing.

Wolf,
Getting an agent can be as difficult or more so than getting published.  Or maybe I should say getting a good agent, who you work well with.  I am on my 4th agent and I'm hoping I've found the right combination. 

Having a bad agent is worse than having no agent at all.  So you really need to do a lot of research, talk to people who've had dealing with the agents etc before deciding.  And even then, someone else's dream agent can be your nightmare agent.

Lori

#41 2005-10-11 18:48:51

The Busboy
Administrator

Wow, a lot got posted in here since I posted last.  Lori, please keep us posted on any conventions open to the public, as that sounds like it would be a fun time, it would be cool to check one of those out sometime.  So, considering your line of story writing, do you do anything extra special for Halloween?  Do you like Halloween?  I also wanted to ask about "release" dates for books, like is there a "timing" to it?  Are there certain months or seasons?  Do you do book signings at all?  How much time goes by between the time an author finishes writing a book and when it actually ends up on bookstore shelves?

#42 2005-10-11 20:34:58

Akugarou
Website

Lori,
I received the magnet and bookmark from your fanclub today.  The magnet went up on the 'fridge, next to my events/museum magnets that I collect.

LoriHandeland wrote:

Akugarou,
I hope you enjoy all the books.  I think they can all stand alone, however I always like to read things in order.

Me, too!

LoriHandeland wrote:

Starting with Crescent Moon St. Martin's is going to call these books Nightcreature Novels and put an icon on all of them so people know which ones to look for.  I need to talk to them about putting a list in each one as to the order.

Will they be moved from Romance, do you suppose?  It's a challenge to get male friends to browse in that section, although I have convinced them it would be worth their time.

LoriHandeland wrote:

I didn't know they were doing that at Target for the book either until I went to my own, went around the end cap and shrieked, "Hey!" then grabbed  my book.  Some lady going by with her cart thought I was nuts.  But that happens to me a lot.  LOL.

lol That's great!

LoriHandeland wrote:

I've been very blessed with the response to these books.  Great reviews, even in PW.  And I just won the RITA award from Romance Writers of America for Best Paranormal of 2004, which was very exciting.

Indeed!  Congratulations!

LoriHandeland wrote:

Are you interested in writing paranormal romance?  Sci fi?  Horror?

Horror (werewolves are my muse).  Although I have played around with a couple of other genres.

"Another year has passed me by
Still I look a myself and cry
What kind of man have I become?"

--STYX, "Man In The Wilderness" The Grand Illusion

#43 2005-10-12 08:12:50

LoriHandeland

Busboy,
I don't do anything special for Halloween, besides handing out candy.  My dad--who was a professional photographer--used to take pictures of the local kids in their costumes and give them polaroids instead of candy.  That was kind of fun. 

I'm not sure what you mean about release dates and timing.  But I don't have anythng to say about release dates.  The publisher assigns them and new books come out every month.

I rarely do booksignings unless it's a large conference.  At single author signings I'm lucky to sell 2 books, and I really can't take several hours out of my writing schedule for it. 

The time between turning the book in and having it on the shelf varies between publishers and also between authors.  It's usually about a year.  However, it can be more depending on how booked up the publisher is in their schedule, or less if the books are doing well and they want to get them out.

I turned Blue Moon in about 18 months before publication, but St. Martin's held the books so they'd come out four months apart.  Also, when it's your first book for a publisher they like to have more time to get things "just so," with the book.  Now that I've written several books for them, we have a rhythm and there's about 8 months between turning the book in and its release. 

Manuscripts go through several stages.  After I turn the book in my editor reads it and asks for rewrites.  Once I do those and send a fresh manuscript, she does a line edit and then sends the book to a copy editor.  (This procedure can vary by publisher.)

Then I get that manuscript back all marked up with post it notes that have questions on plot and research.  I go through and answer the questions, make any changes they want or I see and decide if all of their changes work for me. 

Then I get the manuscript back again in galley form, with all those changes inputted and check it one last time for spelling etc.  Other editors at the publisher are also reading it at this stage for mistakes.

Akugarou,
The publisher may eventually stop printing romance on the spine, but the books will probably always be in the romance section because that audience is so large.  Bookstores will only put books in one genre section, so if you have to chose, that's the one you want.  Hopefully they will also start to be featured in the front of the store, and that solves the problem.

Glad you liked the magnet!
Lori

#44 2005-10-12 20:22:43

The Busboy
Administrator

Great post Lori, you answered all my questions, plus more!  I am learning so much from these posts. 

Interesting comment you made about book store signings, wow, you must be really busy writing that you don't have that kind of time, wow.  I would think any book signing would be rough on an author as they are not an everyday type of thing, but I do have to say from a reader's standpoint, it's really fun to go to them. 

So, do you work on one book project at a time or multiple projects at a time (because of editor changes and stuff)?  If you work on multiple projects, is that confusing to do at all?  When does the thing called the "ARC" come in the process you mentioned above?  Why do authors do those, do you?  Also, why do some authors chose paperback and some do hardcover?  It's gotta be a marketing thing for sales, right? 

On a side note, after our posts last week regarding the movie "Romancing the Stone" I had to order a copy of that DVD, and I got it in the mail today, ha, ha, too funny, huh?  I think I am going to watch it over the weekend.

#45 2005-10-13 07:53:55

LoriHandeland

The Busboy wrote:

Great post Lori, you answered all my questions, plus more!  I am learning so much from these posts. 

Glad to hear it!

Interesting comment you made about book store signings, wow, you must be really busy writing that you don't have that kind of time, wow. 

I write 40-50 hours a week, in addition to running the office of my husband's company and the two teenagers.

I would think any book signing would be rough on an author as they are not an everyday type of thing, but I do have to say from a reader's standpoint, it's really fun to go to them. 

They can be great fun if the response is there.  But for a midlist author, it isn't.   

So, do you work on one book project at a time or multiple projects at a time (because of editor changes and stuff)? 
I only like to work on one book at a time, and only write "new" that way.  However, galleys, edits etc show up any time, so I have to do those whenever they do.  Which actually means I am working on more than one book at a time.  Right now I have 5 books in various stages of production.

If you work on multiple projects, is that confusing to do at all? 
Doing the actual "new" writing on more than one book at a time is too confusing to me.

When does the thing called the "ARC" come in the process you mentioned above? 

An ARC is an Advance Reading Copy.  That is usually run after the final galley, although sometimes after the copy edit stage.  It depends on the publisher.

Why do authors do those, do you? 

The publisher prints ARC's, although some authors will print an ARC from their computer if their publisher doesn't print ARC's.  (Some don't.)  These are used for advance reviews and promotion.

Also, why do some authors chose paperback and some do hardcover?

The author doesn't chose how they're published, the publisher does.  Certain types of books are usually published in hardcover.  Non-ficition, for example.  Genre fiction is usually published in mass market or trade format.  The author only moves to hardcover when their publisher feels they have the sales to warrant the jump.  An author loses sales when they go to hardcover because a lot of readers won't buy them. 

On a side note, after our posts last week regarding the movie "Romancing the Stone" I had to order a copy of that DVD, and I got it in the mail today, ha, ha, too funny, huh?  I think I am going to watch it over the weekend.

I just realized we have Jewel of the Nile on DVD but not Romancing the Stone.  I must remedy that!

Lori

#46 2005-10-13 09:05:22

The Busboy
Administrator

Yes, you should remedy that, ha, ha, "Romancing the Stone" is classic!  I would expect that to be front and center in your DVD collection, ha, ha!

#47 2005-10-26 15:13:12

The Busboy
Administrator

Lori, I just noticed that you answered all my questions and that the answers fell within my screen name, so I didn't notice they were all answered until today, ha, ha.  I just saw the last part about the DVD movie that was under the "quote" box.  O.k., so now I have more questions for ya, o.k., the "galley" is used solely for edits, right?  Is the ARC used for edits too?  Or not?  Your comment about hardcover books surprises me, so do a lot of readers wait then for a book to go to paperback before reading it?  I know first edition hardcovers are highly collectible these days.  I am wondering now if there will be less and less hardcover books in the future with e-books and PODs out now.  Are any of your books or stories available as e-books or POD's?  On a side note, I find it amazing that you are working on various stages of 5 books at the same time, AND working another job too, WOW!

#48 2005-11-01 20:34:10

The Busboy
Administrator

Lori runs monthly contests on her site, here's a link on how to go about entering them:
http://www.eclectics.com/lorihandeland/contest.html
There's a new one posted today for November!

#49 2005-12-01 19:46:33

The Busboy
Administrator

I just noticed that Lori's website moved, here's the new link:
http://lorihandeland.com/

#50 2005-12-01 19:52:31

The Busboy
Administrator

Lori is running a new contest for December on her website, check link http://lorihandeland.com/contest.html for details.

Board footer