The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-06 11:20:50

Viergacht

The Gates (tv show)

http://www.examiner.com/x-5130-Portland … ow-for-ABC

A new vampire themed tv show set in suburbia is coming to ABC. One of the characters is a werewolf (obviously, or I wouldn't be posting it here, right?):

Brett: "Linebacker of the football team. Not a dumb jock, though. Genuinely smart. Usually highly successful in his love life. Struggles with his anger occasionally, which has serious implications since he's a werewolf."

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2686262/ is the fella playing the lycanthrope. Obviously, casting designed to please the teenage gals in the audience.

#2 2010-04-07 03:14:59

werefan

Re: The Gates (tv show)

Guess they gave up on the linebacker thing.

#3 2010-05-24 12:29:19

The Busboy
Administrator

Combining like topics:

WereWolfH wrote:

I had heard about this show about a gated community perhaps of vampires. I didn't see anything about this until I just happened to see the trailer today. I'm assuming yellow eyes refers to werewolves. The Underworld 3 star that played Sonja is supposed to be a vampire. The werewolf was a male, didn't recognize him, but the trailer looked cool!!!! Has anyone else seen this? Or have more information b/c the trailer is kind of different than the spill people had said the show was about? (I think it's on some of the horror websites)

Premieres June 20th! on ABC

blackjack60 wrote:

From some of the promotional material:

"Colton Haynes as Brett Crezski : Linebacker of the football team. Not a dumb jock, though. Genuinely smart. Usually highly successful in his love life. Struggles with his anger occasionally, which has serious implications since he’s a werewolf."

The show is being pitched as a supernatural version of Desperate Housewives. I'm just hoping the werewolf will consist of more than yellow contacts.

WereWolfH wrote:

can't remember if it was yellow contacts or yellow contacts plus some CG effects. I do remember growling though! The chick from Underworld 3 is a vampire. This new clip she actually bites the guy instead of their being a hint that she's gonna do it.

MarkOne wrote:

OK, I saw the trailer. I definitely saw the yellow contacts and the growling. Don't know about the CGI effects though. I also saw a quick, and I do mean quick, shot of the werewolf guy being confronted by someone the morning after and he appeared to be wearing a tattered shirt, so they may be going with the "wolf man" sort of look.

Either way, with this as well as the girl from Underworld 3, I'll check this out to see if it's worth the time.

The Busboy wrote:

Any links?

WereWolfH wrote:

MarkOne wrote:

OK, I saw the trailer. I definitely saw the yellow contacts and the growling. Don't know about the CGI effects though. I also saw a quick, and I do mean quick, shot of the werewolf guy being confronted by someone the morning after and he appeared to be wearing a tattered shirt, so they may be going with the "wolf man" sort of look.

Either way, with this as well as the girl from Underworld 3, I'll check this out to see if it's worth the time.

CGI.  I froze the scene. I can't tell if those are contacts or if those are contacts and the yellow was enhanced with CGI. I wanna go with the latter. I don't know, still looked cool though. We'll find out June 20th.

WereWolfH wrote:

Okay they're really promoting this and new werewolf clip. Yeah it's probably contacts.

Rhonna? just jumped off the stairway, yeah it looked  like she was on wires, but this was done brilliantly. CAN'T WAIT for this show.

KidWerewolf36 wrote:

I just saw this. I think it's a werewolf dog version (well regular wolf). Looks sweet.

#4 2010-05-25 20:41:53

WereWolfH

They've put all the trailers/promos on ABC!!!!!! I'm excited about this. Seriously, and there's a hot spanish girl in it. Wolf.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-gates

It's on ABC people, June 20th!!!!

The werewolf is the wolf version it seems (blood and chocolate or moreso the cool dog inspired by a wolf- Sirius Black in Harry Potter 3)

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

#5 2010-05-26 09:47:10

zockereinstein

<ironic mode>Ahm, another hard-guy-werewolf-with-bad-attitude, I can't believe that they've become so original  </ironic mode>

Last edited by zockereinstein (2010-05-26 09:47:38)

#6 2010-06-11 22:59:05

WereWolfH

Now THIS SHOW knows how to promote. I keep seeing clips every other day promoting this.

#7 2010-06-11 23:50:10

MarkOne
Website

Totally agree. Search on YouTube and they've been adding new ones every day.

From what I've seen so far in the promos, it appears that there's a pack of werewolves in this one, four by my count.

There can be only one. MarkOne. smile

#8 2010-06-15 18:16:20

Reptile

I'm torn. On the one hand, you have Rhona Mitra who is a serious threat to proper blood flow (IfyouknowwhatImean). On the other hand you have Meathead the tortured werewolf with a heart of gold who becomes a "twu wuff" because heaven forbid a heroic werewolf anything but pretty in any form.

When does this premiere again? June 20th? I'll try to keep an open mind until I see the first episode.

WARNING: The contents of this post may be vitriolic and/or offensive to samurai warriors, ninjas, tough dudes, computer using felines and people with pure wolfy spirits. Viewer discretion is advised.

#9 2010-06-16 10:32:32

SouthPaw

http://www.hulu.com/watch/156400/the-ga … s-p1-sr-i1

There's a preview of the show on Hulu.  No werewolves in the clip, but some vampire antics are included.

Last edited by SouthPaw (2010-06-16 10:34:02)

#10 2010-06-17 05:29:15

chase.salva

I have seen the first episode of this series. The plot looks interesting in here. I have also seen another series called THE VAMPIRE DIARIES. I found that more interesting full of thrill. I would suggest you guys to take a look at it.

Mistakes are the portal of Discovery.

#11 2010-06-20 10:19:02

alawoa

why HBO like vampire so much ?

#12 2010-06-20 23:13:28

Reptile

Anyone catch the pilot?

alawoa wrote:

why HBO like vampire so much ?

They love them long time.

WARNING: The contents of this post may be vitriolic and/or offensive to samurai warriors, ninjas, tough dudes, computer using felines and people with pure wolfy spirits. Viewer discretion is advised.

#13 2010-06-22 06:42:14

Moonlit Hunter

Reptile wrote:

Anyone catch the pilot?

I did. smile It was all right. I think it has potential. As for the werewolf aspect of it... so far, they've only introduced a small group of teenage boys from the high school. It looks like one of them is sort of "apart" from his peers, while the others have a tendency to push the rules. They asked him to go "run" with them sometime, to which he replided it was against "the code." I'm guessing there will be some adult werewolves that show up at some point, but thus far they haven't been pictured. And the teenage boys shown in the pilot seem like your typical teen rebellion group, sneaking around behind grown-ups backs. I guess we'll see.

There were a lot of yellow eyes in the pilot, mostly when a werewolf was starting to "lose it." They only showed a fully transformed wolf ONCE, and it was very brief. Also, the shot was in the dark - thus making it even more difficult to make it out. But, for my money, it looked like they used a German Shepherd Dog in the shot! That's almost worse than using crappy CGI or other bad effects. I mean... there are so many captive wolves these days that are socialized enough to be used in television that if they want to go the route of real wolves, they could actually use REAL wolves if they wanted. Then again, like I said... it was in the dark. hrm. I think I'll re-watch the episode to see if I can tell if it was a wolf or a dog. It took me a little off guard the first time, then it was over before I knew it.

Oooh, and someone mentioned something up there about werewolves that are gorgeous in any form. That kind of got me thinking. I wonder if anyone has considered making a show where you have quadrupedal werewolves and bipedal werewolves both - like different species, but both claiming to be the "true" werewolves or something. Have them be all hostile to each other, something like that. It would probably be a little complicated, which is why no one would do it. I would find it facinating myself, though. I mean, personally I prefer werewolves who turn into actual wolves - but that is because I like the idea of becoming a wolf, not really the idea of becoming a beast creature.

As for the vampires in this... haha, now they amused me. I kind of felt like it was a couple where one was having a problem with some compulsion like alcoholism (only in this case, biting people), while the other was trying to keep the spouse reigned in for the sake of the kid. And I wonder if that kid is actually theirs, and if so is she a vampire? Some comments the father made make me wonder.

Okay, I'm off to go watch that episode again!

#14 2010-06-23 00:20:38

Reptile

Moonlit Hunter wrote:

Reptile wrote:

Anyone catch the pilot?

Oooh, and someone mentioned something up there about werewolves that are gorgeous in any form. That kind of got me thinking. I wonder if anyone has considered making a show where you have quadrupedal werewolves and bipedal werewolves both - like different species, but both claiming to be the "true" werewolves or something. Have them be all hostile to each other, something like that. It would probably be a little complicated, which is why no one would do it. I would find it facinating myself, though. I mean, personally I prefer werewolves who turn into actual wolves - but that is because I like the idea of becoming a wolf, not really the idea of becoming a beast creature.

I've actually been entertaining a story idea similar to that. Basically an interspecies conflict between the classical Hollywood werewolf and the loveable post modern literary shape shifter. The latter can transform at any time and the former need to lock themselves up at full moon or else go on a cannibalistic ragefest at the local humans. The cuddlewolves start hunting down and killing the berserkerwolves-even the ones who lock themselves up and try not to hurt anyone- because "LOL, THEY ARE UGLY GORILLA MEN AND NOT TWU WEREWUFFIES!" and it eventually culminates in an all out war.

EDIT: Yeah, I think the episode is up online somewhere, I'll have to track it down.

Last edited by Reptile (2010-06-23 00:21:15)

#15 2010-06-23 00:38:06

MarkOne
Website

It's on abc.com and a few other places. Plus if you have an Ipod, you can download the first episode for free.

By the way, I liked the first episode. It has a lot of potential. Hopefully it can build on this in upcoming episodes.

#16 2010-06-23 00:54:49

Reptile

Yeah, I'm watching right now. It's...surprisingly not horrible.

#17 2010-06-23 11:16:25

WereWolfH

I liked it. Hope there are more wolves than the teenage boys though. Perhaps some adult werewolves. And someone said on another forum they'd like to see female werewolves. That'd be cool. I guess.

#18 2010-06-27 20:16:05

WolfMontana

Reptile wrote:

"LOL, THEY ARE UGLY GORILLA MEN AND NOT TWU WEREWUFFIES!"

Ha! big_smile Death to all teh werewuffies!

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#19 2010-06-29 21:48:53

HarryCanyon

Really enjoyed this one, sort of a light True Blood but not too bad. They should add zombies and Succcubis as well.

#20 2010-06-29 23:10:05

MarkOne
Website

Funny you should mention succubi, cause in the second episode that just aired, it was revealed that a character is exactly that. 

BTW, they're repeating the pilot episode on Sunday (4th of July),  new episodes return on the 11th, and if you have an Ipod, you can download the first two episodes for free for a limited time.

#21 2010-06-30 03:58:35

HarryCanyon

Oh cool, love Succubis but maybe zombies could be next.

#22 2010-07-03 14:27:49

KidWerewolf36

HarryCanyon wrote:

Oh cool, love Succubis but maybe zombies could be next.

yeah there's a succubus now.

#23 2010-07-06 20:49:53

WereWolfH

yep in it might get the werewolf. I was pissed the 3rd episode didn't come on Sunday, but everythign went into rerun mode so...

anyway new episode this Sunday.

#24 2010-07-08 11:25:28

mrRW

WereWolfH wrote:

I liked it. Hope there are more wolves than the teenage boys though. Perhaps some adult werewolves. And someone said on another forum they'd like to see female werewolves. That'd be cool. I guess.

Interesting that you mention this as the blonde kids father also turned out to be a werewolf. 

I'd actually like to the traditional half man/wolf version show up as it seems both this show and TB have gone a bit low budget using just wolves.

#25 2010-07-12 16:51:38

WereWolfH

mrRW wrote:

WereWolfH wrote:

Interesting that you mention this as the blonde kids father also turned out to be a werewolf. 

I'd actually like to the traditional half man/wolf version show up as it seems both this show and TB have gone a bit low budget using just wolves.

yup. Finally this is about to get GOOD. I was starting to not care when it came on (b/c i'd just get around to it later) but I'm looking forward to episode 4.

Board footer