The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-20 00:04:18

Kiera

Could you be two different animals?

Hi everybody, I'm new here and kind of new to this whole concept. I'm kind of confused (I'm a rather odd mixture of things, which I may talk about later)... but one particular question keeps popping in my mind.

Is it possible for a therian or were to be two different animals? Whether it be at the same time or that one takes the upper hand under certain circumstances (say anger, fear, arousal whatever).

Thanks in advance for your answers smile

#2 2010-04-20 00:56:11

WolfVanZandt
Website

Re: Could you be two different animals?

Aye.

#3 2010-04-20 14:44:57

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Yes.
This is discussed in many places throughout the community, a common term which you can use to look up more information is "Polywere".  I am, in fact, both a Raccoon and a Dragon therian, so there you go.

Next question.

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#4 2010-04-20 18:17:01

Kiera

SherlawkDragon wrote:

Yes.
This is discussed in many places throughout the community, a common term which you can use to look up more information is "Polywere".  I am, in fact, both a Raccoon and a Dragon therian, so there you go.

Next question.

Oh... interesting, makes sense in a way I guess, could explain somethings that I sometimes felt where 'out of place'.

I'll look for more info on polyweres, thanks.

Would you happen to know if in the case of polywere do they have a dominant were or are they in balance? Also, would you happen to know anything about "contherians" (found the term on the internet)? Something about therians that do not shift or the like

Last edited by Kiera (2010-04-20 18:18:45)

#5 2010-04-20 22:54:25

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

The existence of polyweres seems to be more or less accepted by most therians. I'm still kind of skeptical about it though just because I can't get my head around the concept of feeling like you're more than one animal on the inside. Seems like an 'I can't figure out which I am so I'll just say both' kind of thing.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#6 2010-04-21 00:37:38

CrimsonRiver
Enigmatic Unwonted

A bit off topic question here for SherlawkDragon. Are dragons generally accepted among therians? I've heard mixed, where some agree that they are and others see mythical creatures as Otherkin. Just curious on your views.

Kiera, it seems the others have already explained to you about polyweres. As to your question on if one is more dominant than the other, it really varies on the individual. If you believe you are contherian, then from what I've read, both your theriotypes would be integrated with your human self. Contherians can not experience any form of shifting as a result of this. Here is a resource I found interesting to read on the subject of contherians: http://akhila.feralscribes.org/essays/confaq.php

Humanity is dust, within humility's splendor. I offer you the emptiness which you seek. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind.

If bullshit were music, you'd be a big brass band.

#7 2010-04-21 22:12:25

WolfVanZandt
Website

Dragons inhabit Dreamtime. I've seen them. Now, what that means is an bodies guess - at a very minimum, they're an archetype.

#8 2010-04-21 23:56:11

CrimsonRiver
Enigmatic Unwonted

They could be cameos or totem animals. Doesn't necessarily mean they're a theriotype.

Humanity is dust, within humility's splendor. I offer you the emptiness which you seek. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind.

#9 2010-04-22 01:03:29

Kiera

Hey thanks everybody for your replies, but I'm still a tad confused about the constherians. I read the article CrimsonRiver gave me plus a bit more over the web... but I still don't quite get it. I'm going to give an utterly dumb example, just to see if I actually grasped the concept or not... you tell me if I'm right.

So... as far as I understand Therians shift at sometime or another in other words this means they turn into the animal, the rest of the time they are um... average human beings? While constherians are always in an animal state, in a sort of equilibrium. I'm right?

So... (sorry if I offend someone with my example or something, I'm just trying to understand) say a therian will not do things in his human state that he/she would do in their animal state... say... don't know, growl when angry? While a constherian would find it a perfectly normal reaction to growl if something angered him/her, they wouldn't think of it as something a cat/dog/anything would do but as something THEY would do?

Or could someone please give me a kindergarden kind of explanation please?

#10 2010-04-22 14:02:42

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Kiera wrote:

Would you happen to know if in the case of polywere do they have a dominant were or are they in balance?

It can work in any way.  Therianthropy is personal and individual.

Also, would you happen to know anything about "contherians" (found the term on the internet)? Something about therians that do not shift or the like

Yes.  This term applies to me somewhat aswell.  It means you're less of a shifter and more of just in a constant state of being semi-shifted.  I don't care too much about terms anymore though, they don't fully describe things enough.

CrimsonRiver wrote:

A bit off topic question here for SherlawkDragon. Are dragons generally accepted among therians? I've heard mixed, where some agree that they are and others see mythical creatures as Otherkin. Just curious on your views.

Some people say that you can be whatever you say you are, some say you can only be certain things.  Most people who've been around a while like to treat it like any other theriotype, it depends on the person who is claiming it.  If someone claims to be a dragon and gives all of these wonderful, magical, rainbow filled explanations, they probably aren't actually a dragon.  Dragons are typically in constant internal battle between the wise higher part of their mind, and the arrogant and primal lower part of their mind. (in other words: anyone who says they're a dragon is conceited, whether they are one or not.)
As for if it's Otherkin, I guess it can go either way.  I've never liked the Otherkin community too much, they get more absurdity in it and they get mad if you're politically incorrect enough to call any of it out.

http://akhila.feralscribes.org/essays/confaq.php

This person is on the long list of therians who do not like me if I'm remembering correctly.

EDIT: By the way, you might try Therian.Wikia for some of these questions, it's kind of meant to fill in people who are new to the community.

Last edited by SherlawkDragon (2010-04-22 14:04:16)

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#11 2010-04-23 00:30:12

WolfVanZandt
Website

I'm a contherian and, yes, it means I'm always in my "animal state". I know that because I was not originally a contherians - my 'sides' merged at one point. The state that I have now is the (once) wolf state.

And I think I agree with what Sherlawk has posted above.

#12 2010-04-23 12:09:15

CrimsonRiver
Enigmatic Unwonted

I'm mixed on the idea of mythological creatures as theriotypes, but my openmindedness is telling me to accept it. So that's what I will do for now. Besides, there is so much that humans truly don't fully understand about the world.

#13 2010-05-10 16:08:55

Thira-Alpha
Website

Yes. It is possible to be 2 therians. For i think i am half canine and half feline therian. but my canine side is dominant over my feline side.
-thira

-------------------------
Howling
Its a Hobby ^_^

#14 2010-05-24 19:20:31

Thira-Alpha
Website

ok so i have confirmed it. i AM 1/2 cougar and 1/2 grey wolf. a tiny part whale......

-------------------------
Howling
Its a Hobby ^_^

#15 2010-05-25 23:20:33

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Thira-Alpha wrote:

ok so i have confirmed it. i AM 1/2 cougar and 1/2 grey wolf. a tiny part whale......

Define and explain "Confirmed".  What makes you think this?

#16 2010-06-06 20:54:31

Arfarf

You cnat be 2 differnt animals cuz of a little thing called SCIDNCE. duh

#17 2010-06-07 04:25:56

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Yep.  Definitely a low-level troll.

#18 2010-06-07 07:25:02

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Oh dear. What did I miss?

This is what happens when I stop being blunt. Idiots start joining.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#19 2010-07-21 12:34:32

Edwin'sCorner

I think I might be two. I mean I do sense the raccoon. That's about all I can say about knowing what I am because that's pretty much how I know what I am because when I think about it and meditate on it that's what feels most right. But there are times when I get angry that I am not fully sure if I am just a raccoon. Maybe there's something more. I almost feel lost at those points it's like I lose my identity and the raccoon part of me goes go on have fun and leaves something else much stronger to do the 'angry' work. Any suggestions as to how to tell or figure out what it might be?

"The stars in the night they lend me their light to bring me closer to heaven with you" - "Gunslinger" Avenged Sevenfold

#20 2010-07-21 13:02:39

UlfrAndi
Spirit Walker

To SherlawkDragon i agree with you. (not really sure what you meant but i am thinking you called him something along the lines of a low class idiot...) i have to say what "arfarf" said is kinda ignorant i and i feel he hasnt taken anytime to research therians or if he has he is having some serious misconceptions. although i have much to learn to. i have read up on this but i need to ask. does having multiple theriotypes (polytherism/chimerism) ever make anyone think that they my have some sort of multiple personality type thing? i am asking so i may learn. not to insult anyone.

And if strength is born from heartbreak,
Then mountains I could move.
And if walls could speak,
I pray that they would tell me what to do

#21 2010-07-21 15:01:21

LoupGarouAngel
Website

I have never heard the term "Contherian" as I honestly don't go much beyond these boards, but I do now realize however it appears I fall into that category more then any other. Hmm... It also sheds light onto the fact that for the past month I have felt i'm in a constant state of "wolf", I can function normally, but I feel a phantom body, think wolf thoughts and overall never get the feeling of my wolf being hidden by the subconcious, may I say? Previous to this summer I would have full shifts, but my last mental shift was about a month ago and I swore it seemed to stick. And also my animal side seemed to fade in and out, only having b outs of it being strong, other days it seemed distant and week, but I can honestly say for the past month or so its been so bold and in my face it's hard to ignore.
Back to the subject though, since I try and be as open minded as they come, I feel on e person can have more then one animal, but it is difficult for myself to understand because of the wolf factor being so very strong for myself.

"You're like one of those lab rats that hits the pleasure button instead of the food until it dies!" Sam-Houses of the Holy.
"Dude, you Fugly." Dean-Scarecrow.
A therian who's a wanna be screenwriter, but doesn't have a life story that fits the bill...
http://loupgarouangel.deviantart.com/

#22 2010-07-21 20:31:13

WolfVanZandt
Website

There's a pretty broad spectrum of dissociation in therianthropy and at one end is the frank multiple personalities. I had 9 when I was shifting. Thyey were very clearly multiple personalities with animal alters (and that's actually a topic that has had a good bit of research).

#23 2010-07-21 23:58:32

UlfrAndi
Spirit Walker

all right WVZ (if i may call you that) thank you for the information there smile

And if strength is born from heartbreak,
Then mountains I could move.
And if walls could speak,
I pray that they would tell me what to do

#24 2010-07-22 22:27:03

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

LoupGarouAngel wrote:

I have never heard the term "Contherian" as I honestly don't go much beyond these boards, but I do now realize however it appears I fall into that category more then any other.

Do more reading.  Learn more crap.  Stop feeling out of the loop.

#25 2010-07-22 22:37:46

LoupGarouAngel
Website

SherlawkDragon wrote:

LoupGarouAngel wrote:

I have never heard the term "Contherian" as I honestly don't go much beyond these boards, but I do now realize however it appears I fall into that category more then any other.

Do more reading.  Learn more crap.  Stop feeling out of the loop.

I would have chuckled if you had made it a pun by spelling "Loop" as "Loup". But i'll go take a gander...

"You're like one of those lab rats that hits the pleasure button instead of the food until it dies!" Sam-Houses of the Holy.
"Dude, you Fugly." Dean-Scarecrow.
A therian who's a wanna be screenwriter, but doesn't have a life story that fits the bill...
http://loupgarouangel.deviantart.com/

Board footer