The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-13 22:56:59

WereWolfH

Vampire Diaries (2 possibly feature werewolves!)

There is a werewolf in this storyline says one of my friends who has read the books. The show has deviated a LOT from the books though. If you saw the season finale then you'll notice that one of the people (maybe more) might be a werewolf!!!!!!!!!

I'd figure they'd hop on the bandwagon since there is this trend to have a werewolf and vamprie together, so, I'm excited about this!

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

#2 2010-05-15 00:06:46

blackjack60
Website

Re: Vampire Diaries (2 possibly feature werewolves!)

From an interview with executive producer Julie Plec:

"Well, [there was an] episode that kind of gave a hint about the Tyler Lockwood [Michael Trevino] character. Somebody said, “Why are you such a jerk, why are you the way you are?” and he says, “I don’t know,” and we pan up to the full moon. Anybody who’s read the books knows that his character in the books is a werewolf and one of the choices that we’ve made is, we are going to go down that road, we’re going to explore that, but before we write a word for it, we [will] have met with our visual effects team and our concept design team to make sure that we know exactly what it is we want to do, because we’ve come to learn on CURSED, the werewolf is the worst thing to design and make look good, especially on a TV budget, so we’re going to make sure we do it right. We’re going to think a little bit outside the box, we’re going to figure out how we can design it so that we can make the effects look good, what parts are going to be prosthetic, what parts are going to be makeup effects and what’s going to be CG, and only then when we feel good about it will we start talking about stories."

Source: http://www.ifmagazine.com/feature.asp?article=3821

#3 2010-05-15 21:38:04

Delta Wolfman

"...the werewolf is the worst thing to design and make look good, especially on a TV budget..."

And yet Being Human was able to do it perfectly.

Stop making excuses and just gently caressing create a werewolf that's recognizably a werewolf.

#4 2010-05-15 23:24:27

blackjack60
Website

Delta Wolfman wrote:

Yes they did--that was a case of relying mostly on prosthetics. The technology used was essentially the same as that used in AWIL, and the results were just as good. We can only hope someone from the Vampire Diaries has seen BH. CGI can be a good aid, but prosthetics are still the chief way to go.

#5 2010-05-16 05:08:29

zockereinstein

blackjack60 wrote:

Delta Wolfman wrote:

Yes they did--that was a case of relying mostly on prosthetics. The technology used was essentially the same as that used in AWIL, and the results were just as good. We can only hope someone from the Vampire Diaries has seen BH. CGI can be a good aid, but prosthetics are still the chief way to go.

I also agree with all of you. But some producers still think that even bad CGI are "cool"... come on, it is NOT that expensive, it just need some EFFORT, and yes, you don't need to hire ILM, Dreamworks or WETA for that.

#6 2010-05-17 21:53:31

WereWolfH

blackjack60 wrote:

From an interview with executive producer Julie Plec:

"Well, [there was an] episode that kind of gave a hint about the Tyler Lockwood [Michael Trevino] character. Somebody said, “Why are you such a jerk, why are you the way you are?” and he says, “I don’t know,” and we pan up to the full moon. Anybody who’s read the books knows that his character in the books is a werewolf and one of the choices that we’ve made is, we are going to go down that road, we’re going to explore that, but before we write a word for it, we [will] have met with our visual effects team and our concept design team to make sure that we know exactly what it is we want to do, because we’ve come to learn on CURSED, the werewolf is the worst thing to design and make look good, especially on a TV budget, so we’re going to make sure we do it right. We’re going to think a little bit outside the box, we’re going to figure out how we can design it so that we can make the effects look good, what parts are going to be prosthetic, what parts are going to be makeup effects and what’s going to be CG, and only then when we feel good about it will we start talking about stories."

Source: http://www.ifmagazine.com/feature.asp?article=3821

that's cool. Hope the werewolf looks good though if they're saying prosthetics? Yeah all for a Being Human type werewolf. I'm feeling "Wolf" as far as the look if they can make the hair longer. I dont' knwo it's cool.

Delta Wolfman wrote:

"...the werewolf is the worst thing to design and make look good, especially on a TV budget..."

Stop making excuses and just gently caressing create a werewolf that's recognizably a werewolf.

Preach it man! Well, as devil's advocate (did I say that right?) a look that moves and such is about 20,000 bucks is what I heard. I'd assume that would break down the design, copyrights/trademarks, molds, prototypes, actual payment to the mask/costume maker, and I know yak- hair (fake hair on most halloween costumes/masks) is expensive. I'm also basing this on the almost 2000 dollar Thriller werewolf mask that's on sale right now. (shouldn't it be cheaper if it's released to the masses or maybe it wasn't? Plus the quality)

Last edited by WereWolfH (2010-05-17 21:57:30)

#7 2010-05-17 22:01:57

WereWolfH

blackjack60 wrote:

Delta Wolfman wrote:

I agree only b/c it's not so outdated (positive) but honestly (on a negative) sheesh that really sucks how we haven't advanced that technology from stuff used 30 years ago!! I do like how Being Human played their strengths by using good and smart ways to light the room and good camera angles.

Let me also say I'm for the Goosebumps and Werewolf the tv series werewolf costumes. (moving mask with monkey type suit). Plus they can ask Paul Wesley (think that's his name) for any tips on werewolf stuff since he starred on Wolf Lake.

I'm crossing my fingers that werewolves get more and more cooler and popular though so that we'll get more movies and tv shows in the werewolf catalogue. We have a lot of catching up to do vs. the vampire movie catalogue.

#8 2010-05-22 17:27:27

HarryCanyon

Sounds awesome, love VD with the books since i was a kid in the early 90's. Who would love to see zombies, witches and succubuses added as well?

#9 2010-06-02 01:28:02

WereWolfH

youtube or more accurately the WB or formerly known as took down all the werewolf stuff about Vampire Diaries.

#10 2010-06-11 22:57:50

WereWolfH

HarryCanyon wrote:

Sounds awesome, love VD with the books since i was a kid in the early 90's. Who would love to see zombies, witches and succubuses added as well?

they really could. Especially if Buffy isn't going ot be made into a movie. When does the dvd come out? I hope they have a sneak peak of werewolf stuff on season 2. And I hope the dad comes back in Season 2.

#11 2010-06-23 11:20:59

WereWolfH

Is it me or does the werewolf from The GAtes remind you of the dude on Vampire Diaries who was a werewolf on Wolf Lake? Just noticed that. smile

#12 2010-06-27 20:19:07

WolfMontana

That's what I thought of when I read the description from the Gates thread. wink  Is it just me, or does that man not age?!?! Like, EVER?!? He was a highschooler in 'Fallen' (cool nephalim miniseries)(annoying that spell checker wants to trade nephalim for encephalitis), he played a highschooler in Wolf Lake, and he's playing a highschooler/ or is it college dude in Vampire Diaries. He looks exactly the same in all three.

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#13 2010-06-29 21:01:17

HarryCanyon

I'd love to see Vampires and werewolves go against zombies.

#14 2010-06-30 14:20:19

WereWolfH

HarryCanyon wrote:

I'd love to see Vampires and werewolves go against zombies.

me likes this.

#15 2010-06-30 14:24:30

Reptile

I want to see a werewolf fight the Mothman and kick his ass.

WARNING: The contents of this post may be vitriolic and/or offensive to samurai warriors, ninjas, tough dudes, computer using felines and people with pure wolfy spirits. Viewer discretion is advised.

#16 2010-09-23 17:28:23

MarkOne
Website

From what I understand, tonight's (Sept. 23) episode of the show will touch on the werewolf storyline.

Here's a promo from the episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMgT-f_-MTA

There can be only one. MarkOne. smile

#17 2010-09-24 08:35:12

Mitch01
Rising Angel

i knew that the werewolf was going to be an actual wolf lol all in all VD is really good! can't wait for next week for the Katherine vs Elena showdown..

i wasn't designed to handle the worst and i'm not convinced that loving someone is worth it...

#18 2010-09-24 09:19:47

zockereinstein

Mitch01 wrote:

i knew that the werewolf was going to be an actual wolf lol all in all VD is really good! can't wait for next week for the Katherine vs Elena showdown..

Let me guess... and the TF was the typical cheap morphing... or none. Well, no one is perfect.

#19 2010-09-24 09:21:31

Mitch01
Rising Angel

u got that right Zock! he went inside his truck to "change"

i wasn't designed to handle the worst and i'm not convinced that loving someone is worth it...

#20 2010-09-24 14:30:37

RadRed21

I figured the "werewolf" would just be a wolf. At least it was a fierce looking wolf. I'm hoping they opted to put mason out of sight during the "change" so that they save it all for when Tyler changes. Tease us now with a payoff later. At least the transformation was depicting as jarring vs. true blood's style of blink and your a werewolf. I hope that when it's Tyler's time they show more

#21 2010-09-24 15:32:49

Mitch01
Rising Angel

u could be right.. unless they didn't or don't have enough on the budget. i've never seen true blood so...

#22 2010-09-25 23:46:44

Viergacht

I am so sick of werewolves being played by german shepherd mixes. They don't even look like real wolves. Bunch of lazy, cheap bastards.

#23 2010-09-26 05:19:06

zockereinstein

Viergacht wrote:

I am so sick of werewolves being played by german shepherd mixes. They don't even look like real wolves. Bunch of lazy, cheap bastards.

Well, what I really miss from such movies is the "monster". I mean, the hulking furry beast with razorsharp claws, bestial head and red eyes. For me a wolf will never be a "monster" even when some bad journalism use the image of the "evil predator" for its own means (e.g. what happened in Alaska some time ago, as an excuse to begin hunting wolves again).
And I agree with you... if you are going to show a "bad wolf", please, use at least a real wolf, not a doggie.

#24 2010-09-26 15:32:25

WereWolfH

Mitch01 wrote:

u could be right.. unless they didn't or don't have enough on the budget. i've never seen true blood so...

the story is they can't get them to be "real" enough, so since the trend is real wolves they're going to just stick with that.

haha to everyon'es comments. this is gonna be a good season.

#25 2010-09-26 15:50:12

RadRed21

zockereinstein wrote:

Viergacht wrote:

Well, what I really miss from such movies is the "monster". I mean, the hulking furry beast with razorsharp claws, bestial head and red eyes. For me a wolf will never be a "monster" even when some bad journalism use the image of the "evil predator" for its own means (e.g. what happened in Alaska some time ago, as an excuse to begin hunting wolves again).
And I agree with you... if you are going to show a "bad wolf", please, use at least a real wolf, not a doggie.

i think we just have to accept the "monster" werewolf is a thing of the past. it's always the same excuse. budgets. it seems noone can afford to put effort into making a werewolf look like a werewolf, or to be more accurate, noone is interested in trying to afford it.

in terms of the "wolf" used for vamp diaries, well... it looked meaner than true blood's werewolves at least.

Board footer