The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#26 2010-10-22 00:56:27

MarkOne
Website

Re: A new "Teen wolf" series

A Twilight movie growing a pair?

Yeah that'll happen the day after hell freezes over.

There can be only one. MarkOne. smile

#27 2010-10-22 02:00:09

Reptile

MarkOne wrote:

A Twilight movie growing a pair?

Yeah that'll happen the day after hell freezes over.

Which is my point.

WARNING: The contents of this post may be vitriolic and/or offensive to samurai warriors, ninjas, tough dudes, computer using felines and people with pure wolfy spirits. Viewer discretion is advised.

#28 2010-10-22 02:48:45

MarkOne
Website

Yeah, but my point is that you shouldn't disregard the show because of the network. That's like blowing off Mad Men, Breaking Bad and the upcoming The Walking Dead just cause it's on AMC.

If the story's good, the show is worth the watch, no matter where the network.

#29 2010-10-22 03:52:25

Reptile

MarkOne wrote:

Yeah, but my point is that you shouldn't disregard the show because of the network. That's like blowing off Mad Men, Breaking Bad and the upcoming The Walking Dead just cause it's on AMC.

If the story's good, the show is worth the watch, no matter where the network.

Yeah but AMC actually has a history of decent original shows.

MTV has...what exactly?

WARNING: The contents of this post may be vitriolic and/or offensive to samurai warriors, ninjas, tough dudes, computer using felines and people with pure wolfy spirits. Viewer discretion is advised.

#30 2010-10-22 04:40:34

MarkOne
Website

Totally agree with you on MTV's track record. But, before Mad Men even debuted, that was the same question people asked about AMC. All they used to show was classic movies. Then they dumped that for more recent stuff with commercials before they started airing the show.

Another example: FX. All they used to show was lame movies and informercials before they debuted a little cop show called The Shield and pretty much laid the groundwork that edgy original shows can be shown on cable networks other than HBO and Showtime. And their record's been OK since then, with Nip/Tuck, Rescue Me, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Now, I'm not comparing MTV to AMC or FX by any means, but just saying if the show's good or even somewhat respectable, it doesn't matter what network it's on. Will Teen Wolf be that show? Can't say. But from what I've seen and from what I've read, I'm at least gonna give it a view.

Yes even if it's on MTV.

#31 2010-10-22 10:33:59

Mitch01
Rising Angel

Totalimmortal wrote:

so not stoked on this

TOTALLY AGREE!

i wasn't designed to handle the worst and i'm not convinced that loving someone is worth it...

#32 2010-10-22 13:36:05

Reptile

MarkOne wrote:

Totally agree with you on MTV's track record. But, before Mad Men even debuted, that was the same question people asked about AMC. All they used to show was classic movies. Then they dumped that for more recent stuff with commercials before they started airing the show.

It's not the same question. What original series, movies, all around what kind of original production did AMC have before Mad Men? If I remember they had... nothing, really. Maybe a few forgotten television movies? Not much to base an opinion on that's for sure. MTV? The situation is hardly similar.

Another example: FX. All they used to show was lame movies and informercials before they debuted a little cop show called The Shield and pretty much laid the groundwork that edgy original shows can be shown on cable networks other than HBO and Showtime. And their record's been OK since then, with Nip/Tuck, Rescue Me, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Okay, but FX doesn't have a near twenty year history of sucking horrifically.

Now, I'm not comparing MTV to AMC or FX by any means, but just saying if the show's good or even somewhat respectable, it doesn't matter what network it's on.

But when predicting the quality of an upcoming television show, is it really so unfair to look at a station's past programs?

Will Teen Wolf be that show? Can't say. But from what I've seen and from what I've read, I'm at least gonna give it a view.

So will I, I'm just expecting it to be awful. tongue

Also, "kissable werewolves."

#33 2010-10-23 00:46:37

blackjack60
Website

"But when predicting the quality of an upcoming television show, is it really so unfair to look at a station's past programs?"

Yes, because MTV only just started showing scripted dramas, and they're bringing in outside talent to make them. Saying a show will suck just because of the network it's on is short-sighted, especially since it ignores the influence of the the show's creative staff. The producer of Teen Wolf is the guy who did Criminal Minds, not an MTV hack who supervised Teen Mom. And the kissable werewolf is only one type of three werewolves--you'll still get your bloodthirsty monster werewolf.

#34 2010-10-23 02:37:16

MarkOne
Website

blackjack60 wrote:

"But when predicting the quality of an upcoming television show, is it really so unfair to look at a station's past programs?"

Yes, because MTV only just started showing scripted dramas, and they're bringing in outside talent to make them. Saying a show will suck just because of the network it's on is short-sighted, especially since it ignores the influence of the the show's creative staff. The producer of Teen Wolf is the guy who did Criminal Minds, not an MTV hack who supervised Teen Mom. And the kissable werewolf is only one type of three werewolves--you'll still get your bloodthirsty monster werewolf.

My point exactly.

#35 2010-10-23 05:10:10

zockereinstein

blackjack60 wrote:

You are right, but I suspect that even an expert producer tend to be specialized in some genres. I mean, a  good thriller-producer could create a not-so-good comedy and so on. Furthermore, sometimes a tandem producer/director with experience in terror series/films could also make mistakes from time to time (or even "lose their touch").
Abouth this series, I really don't know what to expect. I hope we'll have a nice surprise, really.

#36 2010-10-23 23:54:00

WolfMontana

... "The other werewolf shows and movies have werewolves you could pet. We wanted to have one you could kiss."

... *facepalm*

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#37 2010-10-25 17:53:20

Reptile

blackjack60 wrote:

But when predicting the quality of an upcoming television show, is it really so unfair to look at a station's past programs?"

Yes, because MTV only just started showing scripted dramas, and they're bringing in outside talent to make them. Saying a show will suck just because of the network it's on is short-sighted,

Read my posts. I admitted there was a possibility that it would be good, I'm just not being optimistic about it.

The producer of Teen Wolf is the guy who did Criminal Minds,

Is this supposed to convince me it's not going to suck?

And the kissable werewolf is only one type of three werewolves--you'll still get your bloodthirsty monster werewolf.

Unless the kissable werewolf is going to be eaten in the first five minutes of the show this I must say I will still be irritated.

#38 2010-10-25 20:22:39

RadRed21

I like the mythos the show is setting up. mirroring a werewolf's evolution to that of adolescence it seems. I appreciate the concept, and I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt.  But I also slightly agree with the above post. Obviously the main character is going to be this "kissable" werewolf so I know it'll be forefront, but I hope the presence of these beta and omega werewolves are also at the forefront and this doesn't become some twilight wannabe with werewolves playing the vampire role

#39 2010-10-26 01:41:24

blackjack60
Website

Reptile wrote:

Read my posts. I admitted there was a possibility that it would be good, I'm just not being optimistic about it.

Read my response--saying a show will suck purely because of the network it's on isn't as convincing a reason for pessimism as you think, especially since it ignores how the network operates. Maybe Teen Wolf will suck. But so far the situation and the buz from people who've seen the footage present good signs.

Is this supposed to convince me it's not going to suck?

Since you wouldn't be satisfied even if Orson Welles rose from the dead to make it, never mind. But grumbling "uggh, MTV's making, it must suck" doesn't make sense if MTV is bringing in outside talent to make the show rather than relying on the people who do its regular programming. Criminal Minds isn't the best show in history, but it's well made and above the norm for its genre, so yes, it's a good sign that MTV is bringing in that sort of talent.

Unless the kissable werewolf is going to be eaten in the first five minutes of the show this I must say I will still be irritated.

You're awfully sure about how you're going to react for someone who hasn't  seen even a minute of footage. If you can make up your mind so far in advance, perhaps you shouldn't bother watching. It might disturb your preset irritation.

Last edited by blackjack60 (2010-10-26 01:41:54)

#40 2010-10-26 09:20:01

zockereinstein

You're awfully sure about how you're going to react for someone who hasn't  seen even a minute of footage. If you can make up your mind so far in advance, perhaps you shouldn't bother watching. It might disturb your preset irritation.

Yes, it's a good idea to be cautious. But it is also a good idea not to grow so much expectations on recent werewolf films. I mean, two or three years ago I was sure that now was going to be the time or "werewolf renassaince", where we could watch movies or series at the level of 1981 (say AAWIL and Howling). But I was wrong. From time to time there is some interesting stuff, but just the independent and low budget directors seem to work in the right direction.

#41 2010-11-03 23:21:41

Reptile

blackjack60 wrote:

Read my response--

Oh, I see what you did thar. My words came back to haunt me. Have a cookie.

saying a show will suck purely because of the network it's on isn't as convincing a reason for pessimism as you think,

I never said that the show will beyond a shadow of a doubt suck, just that it probably would.

And I don't think one producer from a mediocre crime drama is a convincing enough reason for your optimism.

especially since it ignores how the network operates.

You mean how MTV operates. tongue

Maybe Teen Wolf will suck.

And you'll probably eat it up anyway.

^ See? It's not fun when other people do it to you, is it?

But so far the situation and the buz from people who've seen the footage present good signs.

Who? What people? Markone? For all I know he's one of those crazies who thinks the Vampire Diaries is good.

Since you wouldn't be satisfied even if Orson Welles rose from the dead to make it, never mind.

Oh, by the way this is what the above crack about you humping the show even if it sucks was all about. Just figured I'd tie up that little lose end. I admit it would make more sense if you took this little shot at me earlier but eh, I work with what I can get.

But grumbling "uggh, MTV's making, it must suck"

Again, I never said that the show will beyond a shadow of a doubt suck, just that it probably will.

doesn't make sense if MTV is bringing in outside talent to make the show rather than relying on the people who do its regular programming. Criminal Minds isn't the best show in history, but it's well made and above the norm for its genre, so yes, it's a good sign that MTV is bringing in that sort of talent.

Oh, the Gnashing Teeth behind such festering vomit as Sixteen and Pregnant, who are responsible for the Jackass franchise being unleashed on the world hire a producer from a mediocre crime drama that rode in on the coat tails of the forensic/crime drama fad and only rises above the other sleep inducing tripe it shares the genera with because of Joe Mantegna...and again, this is supposed to make me worship at the Teen Wolf alter?

For all you know, MTV got the runt of the litter. tongue Espically considering everyone else who could screw up the show. All I'm saying is don't get your hopes up, but you don't want to here it so...

You're awfully sure about how you're going to react for someone who hasn't seen even a minute of footage.

History has shown us that cuddly werewolves suck. Kissable werewolves sounds like the next step in the evolution of their pussification. It's how the vampire mythos went from Lestat to Edward Cullen in just over two decades.

Lestat was a prissy wanker who should have been shot into the sun along with the rest of the cast in the first book, but Edward sounded infinitely worse when I heard of him. Lo and behold, I was right.

If you can make up your mind so far in advance, perhaps you shouldn't bother watching.

No, I think I will. I really want to see what about this show has got everyone all atingle. Especially since it sounds like someone took Ginger Snaps behind a shed, beat it to death with a shovel, watered it down and is now packaging it to the Facebook generation.

It might disturb your preset irritation.

Blackjack, I have a feeling that you and I are going to get along famously.

^Sarcasm, lol.

#42 2010-11-03 23:27:54

MarkOne
Website

Reptile wrote:

Who? What people? Markone? For all I know he's one of those crazies who thinks the Vampire Diaries is good.

First of all, I'm not one of those crazies. Do NOT lump me in that category. Ever.

Second, I'm basing my opinion on what I've seen in the panel. For all I know, the remaining show could suck eggs. Or it could not. That's all I'm saying.

#43 2010-11-03 23:32:02

Reptile

MarkOne wrote:

First of all, I'm not one of those crazies. Do NOT lump me in that category. Ever.

big_smile

Duly noted, my point was I'm not familiar with you, I'm taking your word with a grain of salt.

Second, I'm basing my opinion on what I've seen in the panel. For all I know, the remaining show could suck eggs. Or it could not. That's all I'm saying.

That's basically what I'm saying as well. I'm just leaning towards "suck".

#44 2010-11-04 22:56:46

blackjack60
Website

Reptile wrote:

Oh, I see what you did thar. My words came back to haunt me. Have a cookie.

I prefer cookies that aren't dripping with condescension, so no thank you.

See? It's not fun when other people do it to you, is it?

Truth be told, it's amusing to see it done that mechanically.

As MarkOne noted, he isn't, and if you have to use character assassination to prove your point, you might want to re-examine it. For what it's worth, an article like http://blastr.com/2010/08/teen-wolf-yes-teen-wolf-a.php seems representative of the press/fan reaction so far. Perhaps you might wish to go hunting for other ones to disprove it. Until then, it seems far more sound to trust people who've actually seen the footage rather than someone ranting on and on about how much it will likely suck because they don't like the network.

History has shown us that cuddly werewolves suck. Kissable werewolves sounds like the next step in the evolution of their pussification...

The pilot episode features a girl violently murdered by a werewolf, which should be enough to indicate that we'll almost certainly get violent, monstrous werewolves. I realize that might get in the way of your ranting, but oh well.

Blackjack, I have a feeling that you and I are going to get along famously. ^Sarcasm, lol.

Actually, if it takes you over a week to respond we probably won't get much getting on done.

Last edited by blackjack60 (2010-11-05 01:39:57)

#45 2010-11-14 22:09:54

blackjack60
Website

#46 2010-11-14 23:44:45

RadRed21

well I say it looks good. tyler hoechlin's character is supposed to practically be a beta werewolf right? he looked pretty "beast" like in that quick shot, and they talk up the beta and omega werewolves being more monster like so I remain optimistic. it does seem that the more we see and hear about this show the more they actually may be on a form of the right track

#47 2010-11-16 07:29:44

chips493

I'm okay with this darker version, but I'd like something more mature like True blood. If only True Blood had massive werewolves, not mere wolves...

#48 2010-11-16 14:21:46

Viergacht

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2010/11/mtv.jpg

New trailer here: http://io9.com/5690936/mtvs-teen-wolf-t … ats-on-amc

There's a teeny snippet of TF footage, and apparently his final look is going to be slightly less wolfy than Henry Hull. The plot looks like pure cheese "Oh no, the big party is on the night of the full moon! And my girlfriend's dad is a werewolf hunter!" *sad trombone*

Last edited by Viergacht (2010-11-16 14:22:05)

#49 2010-11-17 11:47:51

Warchildsilver

Werewolves are so unloved in hollywood.  Really seems like they're the red-headed stepchildren of the monster community, hey?  In any case, I'll probably end up watching it until the 'drama' wears me thin.  There are enough elements that make it look interesting, if formulaic from stringing all those typical werewolf tropes together.  Really, it could be much worse, considering I sat through War Wolves AND Boy Who Cried Werewolf.

*They were always here.  I just unlocked the door.*

#50 2010-11-22 03:56:40

Reptile

blackjack60 wrote:

I prefer cookies that aren't dripping with condescension, so no thank you.

Well, it is an acquired taste. I've been swallowing it from you since you dropped in.

Truth be told, it's amusing to see it done that mechanically.

I aim to please.

As MarkOne noted, he isn't, and if you have to use character assassination to prove your point, you might want to re-examine it.

It was hardly meant to be character assassination. I'd never interacted with Markone before, why should I have taken his opinion at face value?

For what it's worth, an article like http://blastr.com/2010/08/teen-wolf-yes-teen-wolf-a.php seems representative of the press/fan reaction so far.

Ignoring the fact that it's from a site I've never been on, this article really doesn't tell me much I don't already know. Three types of werewolves, DARKER AND SEXIER, underwear model cast, DARKIER AND SEXIER, they're using the tired "schlub finding his potential" storyline, DARKER AND SEXIER, edgier, DARKER AND SEXIER.

So yeah, it had plenty of info, albeit most of it was stuff I was already aware of. In fact, I think this was the subject of a post on Werewolf News a while back. But again, I'm going to take their opinion with a grain of salt. A lot of people were pretty impressed with what they were seeing from the advertising campaigns of Avatar, Transformers, Stargate Universe, The Event, Force Unleashed and other media that turned out to be disappointing. (Or otherwise downright abysmal.)

So yeah, I'll take the facts about the series and leave Blastr's gushing over it at the door.

Perhaps you might wish to go hunting for other ones to disprove it.

Well, does Werewolf News count? The boys over there don't seem to pleased with it. tongue

Until then, it seems far more sound to trust people who've actually seen the footage rather than someone ranting on and on about how much it will likely suck because they don't like the network.

Three things:

One, you're trotting out this old pony again? Really?

Two, I don't care if people trust me or not as I don't need to have my opinions constantly validated by people I barely know on a forum full of people who don't like me anyway. Contrary to what you likely believe, the Internet, this site, and Teen Wolf are not serious business, and I do not consider them such.

Also, to save you the trouble of asking me why I'm even bothering: Amusement. My own. I visit this forum and am participating in this verbal weenie wagging contest with you in my free time and to allow myself to vent and discuss (argue about) my own interests at my own leisure, and spout off my opinions (popular or not) in my own way. It is most certainly not to gain prestige among people I'll never meet face to face who have no impact on my life away from the screen.  Is that a proper enough rundown of my motivations for you? Lord knows I've been asked to bare my soul enough times by other Internet tightwads who think they're better than me enough that it's beginning to become annoying.

Three, I've seen the trailer. I'm still of the opinion it'll probably suck. lol You can lay the "YOU'VE NEVER SEEN EVEN A MINUTE OF FOOTAGE, RETARD!" spiel to rest now.

The pilot episode features a girl violently murdered by a werewolf, which should be enough to indicate that we'll almost certainly get violent, monstrous werewolves.

I never said we wouldn't, I'm simply lamenting the lost opportunity of a gory curbstomp battle in favor of the violent, monstrous werewolves.

Not that it has anything to do with the point was refering to, which seemed to be you attacking my reasons for not liking the cuddlewolves.

I realize that might get in the way of your ranting, but oh well.

I do wonder if you've seen the trailer. I realize it may get in the way of you talking to me like I'm a moron but oh well. Can't say I'm not curious.

Actually, if it takes you over a week to respond we probably won't get much getting on done.

I have been known to disappear from the forums for weeks at a time. But I'll endeavour to be more prompt for your sake, Blackjack.

(No I won't.)

Board footer