The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-23 17:48:21

Moonlit Hunter

Wolf Therians and Dog Ownership

How many wolf therians out there feel as strong a need for canine companionship as they do for human companionship? How many feel a stronger need for the canines? If you are a wolf therian, do you have a dog or don't you? If not, is it because you don't want one, or is it because your living conditions are not condusive to having one (for example, living in an apartment)? Wolves are social animals who need their packs, so how many out there feel like they need a dog to be a part of their pack? Do you prefer large dogs or small dogs?

I guess, a little off-topic, but slightly along the same vein, how does being a wolf affect your interactions with your family and friends? Do you feel like you are more loyal or more attached to them than non-wolves normally are?

Also, how many wolf therians have a cat? How many cat therians have a cat? How many cat therians have a dog? How does your theriotype affect what sort of animal you prefer to live with, and how does it affect your interactions with your pet?

For myself, I have one dog, one cat, and one cockatiel. I typically do not like cats, but the one I have is a very unique individual. The cockatiel is the same - I absolutely hate birds, but the specific one I have was my brother's, and she just sort of bonded with me. My dog is a Siberian Husky, and he is the only pet I have because I sat there and said, "Gee, I really would like to have a dog around!" But, of course, I picked him out due to his personality as well - all animals are individuals, and just being a dog isn't enough to make me like someone. I am closest with my dog, though, because he is the one that I go out and do stuff with. I take him on road trips with me, we go running together, we go hiking together, he goes with me on my errands (when it isn't freaking 100 degrees outside like it is now!), and all that stuff. Cats and birds don't do well when they get dragged out of the house on adventures.

So yeah! Let's talk about the animals in our lives, how therianthropy affects our interactions with them, and if theriotype has any correlation to whether we are "dog people" or "cat people."

#2 2010-06-25 18:29:27

WolfVanZandt
Website

Re: Wolf Therians and Dog Ownership

I don't have a pet now because I'm an apartment dwelelr and the rules specify that I can only have 10 pounds of pet - if I'm going to have a pet - I want a pet.

I have had pet dogs. I feel more comfortable around them than I do humans. As it is, now, I associate with the dogs in the community. In other words, my pets are everyone elses dogs.

I don't feel more attached to my family and friens - in fact, I tend to be rather unattached, but I do feel that I'm more loyal than the average human - then again, I don't know if that's the way I was raised (my father encouraged loyalty) or because I'm a Therian.

I don't have a cat, but I don't dislike them. They don't feel like companions to me, though.

#3 2010-06-26 03:10:26

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Not a Wolf-Therian, but I'll respond.

Moonlit Hunter wrote:

How many wolf therians out there feel as strong a need for canine companionship as they do for human companionship? How many feel a stronger need for the canines? If you are a wolf therian, do you have a dog or don't you? If not, is it because you don't want one, or is it because your living conditions are not condusive to having one (for example, living in an apartment)? Wolves are social animals who need their packs, so how many out there feel like they need a dog to be a part of their pack? Do you prefer large dogs or small dogs?

Being a therian makes owning an animal awkward for me.  My parents have a dog which I love, but I don't think I'll ever get a pet for myself unless it needs me to adopt it or something.  Part of it is that it feels wrong to me to own another animal, especially one which I can communicate with on that level, and what's weirder for me is the concept of neutering and spaying.  That'd feel wrong to have that done to an animal on my account.  Now, if it wasn't for that awkwardness, I'd love to have a pet dog, a big, fluffy one, to be my friend.

I guess, a little off-topic, but slightly along the same vein, how does being a wolf affect your interactions with your family and friends? Do you feel like you are more loyal or more attached to them than non-wolves normally are?

One of the most important interactions I ever had with my father was beating him up in a fist fight over him hitting me all the time, So I can't actually give much feedback here.  I don't think it changes how "loyal" I am or whatever, though it does add a different dynamic with closer friends who will interact with me in that way.

Also, how many wolf therians have a cat? How many cat therians have a cat? How many cat therians have a dog? How does your theriotype affect what sort of animal you prefer to live with, and how does it affect your interactions with your pet?

I love cats.  I'm not getting one for the reason I said before, but I love to hang out with cats.  They're so interesting to hang out with.  I think being a Raccoon puts me more in touch with them than dogs.

Cats and birds don't do well when they get dragged out of the house on adventures.

Yeah, you can do that with them, it's just not like taking a Dog out on a leash, because cat's aren't pack/leash animals and you have to make sure a bird doesn't fly off.

So yeah! Let's talk about the animals in our lives, how therianthropy affects our interactions with them, and if theriotype has any correlation to whether we are "dog people" or "cat people."

You know, it was catching on in the Therian community at some point to call ourselves "animal people".  Like, I'd be a "Raccoon-Person" and VanZandt would be a "Wolf-Person".  Whatever happened with that?  It was a fad I was thinking of joining...

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#4 2010-06-28 21:18:30

White Wolf
Dreamer of the East [Moderator]
Website

First off, I'm really glad to see an interesting thread pop up on here for once instead of the typical: I'm a level-9 tHeRian of the cloud-moon clan blah, blah, blah or the monthly thread about their being any therians in Elkins, WV or wherever.

Anyways, on to the questions which I will be answering from my personal experience as a wolf therian.

As for whether I identify more with dogs than other pets, I'd say generally yes, but it depends entirely on the dog/pet. There are some that I can get along with really well and I feel like there's a good understanding there, while others I see as nothing more than pets. As for owning a dog, I don't currently and never have, but I am absolutely resolute that one day I will own a German Shepherd. That's the breed that I feel I have the closest connection with in terms of getting along, and I'd own one right now if it weren't for all the travel that my family does. (On average we're away from the house 1.5-2 months a year and that'd just be too long to properly take care of a dog or any pet really.) On a side note, I owned rabbits when I was a kid, but that was a while back and they were easy to take care of. A final note about dogs, I do not associate AT ALL with what I call "rat dogs"... really any small, annoying breed. I could never own one of those, much less associate with one at any level. I hardly consider them to be canine actually... in my mind I've always viewed them as something else.

As for cats, again, it depends on the cat. I can't say that there's ever been a cat that I've actually "liked", but that's just been because I never have been able to really associate with them. There have been some which I've really disliked, but generally speaking, cats are just whatever for me. I don't like them and I don't dislike them.

I think that attachment and loyalty to people is a pretty nontherian thing. Personally, I just think it depends on the person. I, myself, was raised with a really strong sense of family so naturally I've carried that on with me and value it closely in all my relationships with family and friends. Likewise, I have other family members and friends who aren't like that. Everybody's different.

Raccoon-Person and Wolf-Person eh? You know, I actually kind of like that... it's a little bit more specific than "therian". wink

Nos totus take diversus semita ut a similis fortuna per sapientia, vires, quod fides in divinus nostrum maioribus socius.

#5 2010-07-01 04:04:00

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

White Wolf wrote:

Raccoon-Person and Wolf-Person eh? You know, I actually kind of like that... it's a little bit more specific than "therian". wink

Less of a misnomer too, if you don't worry about the connotation.

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#6 2010-07-05 11:13:29

lil' Wolfen

I have always had a closer bond with animals than people. My pets have always ment more to me, and caused more pain in their passing, than any of my family members ever did in combination. I think its due to a subconsious understanding. Its not like I carry on a conversation with my dogs, but I can understand them in some way as they can understand me.

I rely heavily on body language and subconsious cues to determine someones mood, thoughts, or intentions. Humans just do not have an eye for these observations anymore. I can effectively tell my dog to shut the hell up just by looking at him. My friends.... Staring them eye to eye only encourages more babble about mundain things.

I don't make eye contact unless I want to intimidate, or I'm being the agressive one. People do not use these cues. They just don't understand. I think I learned this from my dogs when I was a kid. My parents worked late hours and so i was home a lot, and stuck playing with the dogs for company. I learned from them the meanings of eye contact, and as well how to understand their body language. This in turn has become a habit now. Perhaps its deep rooted instincts being allowed to resurface, or perhaps its something new.

I have a strong connection with dogs for the fact that they can communicate so effectively with me without words. It makes people less appealing. No idle babble. I enjoy having dogs for pets, but like Sherlock said, "owning" them is not a comfortable feeling. Kind of like having a slave to do parlor tricks. I more prefer to have a dog that is more a companion than a pet that lives in a cage and does tricks for crap tasting treats.

I am iffy. I will admit though, I HATE cats. The way they make eye contact as if to say "ha ha asshole", makes me just wanna kill them. People tend not to let their cats around me. Hell, one of my friends cats runs and hides everytime I come over, and refuses to come out for an entire day after I have left. hate hate hate cats.

As far as other animals as pets, meh. Its all just a bunch of walking meals to me. tongue Although, I do have a strong affection for ducks. They make amazing pets. :3

"Let's go back to the cabin and get into a lil' beastiality!" ~ Mitch - Big Bad Wolf

#7 2010-07-06 04:45:32

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

heh, this thread is certainly good, but I think 90% of therians have the same answers... XD

#8 2010-07-06 06:25:01

Moonlit Hunter

I'd like to hear more about how ducks make awesome pets. I never would have thought of that one.

#9 2010-07-06 23:28:47

lil' Wolfen

Moonlit Hunter wrote:

I'd like to hear more about how ducks make awesome pets. I never would have thought of that one.

Uh oh.... *clears throat* Well.... It kinda is better explained with a story...

Basically, a pet store by me sells ducklings, and chicks around Easter. Little yellow fluffy cute things you just wanna sit in a huge flock of. I thought they were so freakin cute, and for $20 I figured, what the hell, and bought a newborn baby duck.

I wasn't really sure what kind of cage it needed or anything. The pet store supplied me with the food, which was like crushed powder, that I had to mix with water and feed the duckling it in a bowl.

It was so small it would fit on your palm, and could even balance on its little webbies (feet) on my finger. So effin cute. I got a small plastic cage at Meijer, that was less than a gallon with a plastic top with holes in it. I put tissue in there for it to settle down on. Pretty simple pet really. Feed it when it bitches for food, and put it in its cage if you don't have it out. Only bad thing was it wanted to be with me constantly. It was cool though. He followed me everywhere. Even took showers with me, and played in the water at my feet. I could take him to the park and there would be this little yellow fluffy thing following me all over.

They can't be house broken, but you can pretty much predict when they will need to go, stick them in their cage to do their business, and then know you got about a good 15 minutes if after meal before you need to put them in the cage, or take them outside.

He was small enough that for the first few weeks he fit in my pocket. (I wear widelegs) He either was taken everywhere with me in his little cage, which had a handle, or sat in my pocket if I knew he wouldn't poop in there.

He got bigger, but nothing really changed. He just needed progressively bigger cages. His food changed to pellets, so it was easier to feed him without having to mix it with water. He had a food bowl and a water bowl just like any dog or cat. I got him one of those big guinea pig cages, with the plastic bottom, and wire top. He would stay in there, and be let out to walk around, or should I say follow me everywhere. He begged for food when I was eating, quacked insisantly if I walked out of the room and he lost sight of me. He hated toes, and would nibble mine if I let him. He was an alcoholic. Yes.... I had a glass of beer on the table, and he took a sip when I wasn't looking, and then he took another and another till I noticed. From then on if he saw a beer can, he would spill it over on our hardwood floors to drink the beer. Weird.

He also loved sticking his head out of the car window when we went for a ride to the park. He wore an orange collar and leash, but he never really needed the leash. He HAD to be at my feet or else he would get made. He even got along with our cat. Only problem was he would eat all the cats food, and if the cat came to eat some, he would vibrate his head at the kitty, and chest bunt it away. Ducks don't bite, or at least he didn't, but he sure did throw his cheast around. Seemed kinda pointless, being it was just like being hit with a fluffy feather pillow, but he seemed to think it worked.

But yeah. He was exactly like having a dog, only he can't bite, or claw. He quacked, but it isn't anywhere near as loud as a dog bark. And hell, he could even live off cat food apparently as he loved it. lol They bond with you much more strongly than dogs or cats. They want to be with you always. Even sleep with you. lol Sometimes I would forget to close his cage door, and in the middle of the night I would catch him jumping in my bed, then slowly sneeking towards me, inch by inch, till his fluffy chest was on my face sufficating me. smile They live about as long as dogs too. I definately would pick a duck over a dog. They don't shed, or cause allergies. And they smell like Ziplock bags, I kid you not.

A wonderful pet to have. I will link to photos of him if you want.

Anyways, not to make this post comletely off topic...

I like doggies! tongue tongue tongue

"Let's go back to the cabin and get into a lil' beastiality!" ~ Mitch - Big Bad Wolf

#10 2010-07-07 01:57:56

Moonlit Hunter

OMG, now I want a duck! Yes, I'd love pictures.

Alas, my dog would eat a duck, though. He has a pretty strong prey drive. I guess I will just have to wait.

#11 2010-07-07 02:32:53

lil' Wolfen

http://www.facebook.com/editalbum.php?& … 1468304846

This should work. If not I will try to fix my privacy settings on Facebook.

Dogs seemed afraid of Howard. Then again, he was a pretty big ducky. lol

Just realised you need to be signed in to view my photos. If you don't have a Facebook, sorry. My bad. lol

Last edited by lil' Wolfen (2010-07-07 02:34:10)

#12 2010-07-07 08:39:06

Moonlit Hunter

It worked. smile What an adorable duck. I was expecting something like a mallard, not a white duck. Cool.

#13 2010-07-07 20:21:47

lil' Wolfen

I think the pic of him in the toilet is the best. lol I tell you they LOVE water... Any kind of water... lol

#14 2010-07-08 16:14:47

SilentKiller
So very silent its killing

I own 2 dogs and watch my sisters dogs. I can hardly be "normal"-human acting around them. I love animals of all kinds but so far small dogs drive me crazy. I do think of them as over grown rats. I consider any animal of mine, or one that I am close to, my pack. I am the pack leader. I used to have kittens and well my dogs definitely knew not to mess with them or else. The kittens became part of my pack. So really anything I take care of becomes my pack.
The thing is... If I see a dog or cat not of mine I usually do not tolerate them unless they are submissive. Then I might play with them but I still would not accept them in my pack unless I know they will become mine. If it is something other than predator I cant help but see them as pray unless, again, they are mine. -I used to own rabbits, birds, fish and more. I am more comfortable with my pack than humans.

I am not close to my family but I am loyal. The way I see it is, If you mess with my family I will kill/hurt you(same with my animal pack). I am very possessive of them. Just walking around the mall with my family makes me go on edge. Not only because I hate malls and do not like my family around me, but the way people look at them. If my sisters/brothers couples hurt them, I go nuts. Friends I am the same way but I usually do not go on edge when at the mall or places full of people. If my family hurts me, oh well I have to live with them. If my friends hurt me they are no longer my friends.

There are more complicated things about me and these things but I do not wish to get into huge details.

Having faith is better than nothing.

Dont worry I wont bite you. I only bite people I really like.

Board footer