The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-06 05:35:16

slave2moonlight
Website

Moonlight Motel first graphic novel in the works!

Hi! If you've read my comic strip "Moonlight Motel" on YouTube, you may already know this, but I'm currently working on my first "Moonlight Motel" graphic novel. The story is already written and the cover is done as well. Check it out here: http://slave2moonlight.deviantart.com/#/d2tvag4

Moonlight Motel is a comic strip that ran in a South Texas magazine called "Mag X" from 2007-2010. I recently pulled it from the mag when relocating to Austin, TX, and now I post it exclusively in my deviantart.com gallery and on YouTube. You can find it through a simple search on those sites. It's about a werewolf named Monty Moonlight who runs a motel in Texas with a group of oddball employees, including Russell Scarecrow the groundskeeper, Bob "Fish" Gillman the lifeguard, Seymour the Bellhop, and others. The graphic novel will tell the origin story that is the strip's setup while also being a Halloween story, hence the title, "The First Halloween". I do not have a definite publisher yet, though I am leaning towards using a site like cafepress. I'm open to better suggestions on that if anyone has any. While I have a variety of things to deal with at the moment, I cannot say exactly how long it will take for the book to be available for purchase, but we'll see what we can do. Incidentally, if I would put a rating on the graphic novel and the strip in general, I'd say it's PG-13 or something like that. It's sort of Simpsons/Futurama kind of humor. Mainly more for adults, but rarely as raunchy as Adult Swim material.

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." -- "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" -- "What's that star on the wall for?" -- "I've got a bad feeling about this." -- "I didn't get a 'harumph' outta that guy!" -- "You wanna talk to God? Let's go see him together. I've got nothing better to do."

#2 2010-08-06 12:30:23

The Busboy
Administrator

Re: Moonlight Motel first graphic novel in the works!

Cool!  Keep us posted on the book release and good luck to you!

#3 2012-03-17 00:27:20

slave2moonlight
Website

Hey busboy, how goes things? Is the Cafe still in operation?

Well, I just thought I'd pop in and catch people up on my Moonlight Motel project.

In the past two years, I have been attempting to relocate permanently to Austin, TX. However, between quitting my job and actually moving, my father was diagnosed with Leukemia. I ended up spending the past two years traveling back and forth between Austin and my parents' town, and to other places as well, taking my father to hospitals here and here and my mom too, as she was diagnosed with cancer shortly after. In a nutshell, though I kept coming back to Austin to stay with my sister and apply for jobs, I rarely even landed an interview. I lost my father last October. My mother was recently cleared of her cancer, and I have been back in Austin for a month or so trying to find a job quick (but, besides drawing, I don't really have any skills, ha, my Bachelor's in Fine Art is no help). As a result of all this though, I haven't yet had a chance to work on the ol' Moonlight Motel graphic novel, though I did manage to do some stuff with the strip.

Yes, Moonlight Motel has an actual website now: http://moonlightmotelcomic.com/  It's a rather simple thing, but I have no html skills at the moment, so I am using the drag and drop option, ha. It's not bad, I just wish I could make more use of the side space and also figure out a way to have reader comments onscreen. I've been trying to post new comics weekly, but with the job search and art commissions and stuff, and other things as well, I am lucky to get two new strips in there a month, but I'm trying to improve on that, and I have been posting "classic" Moonlight Motel strips inbetween, which are new to MOST people anyway, ha. If you like webcomics about werewolves (this is the newspaper comic strip kind; as in, it's a humor strip and not a continuing story in any major way), come check out the site, help me out by clicking on the ads or donating or whatever (yes, there's merchandise too, as a third option to support the site), and let me know what you think with an e-mail or even by posting here. We seem to have a small but growing fanbase thanks largely I'm sure to deviantart.com. Hopefully, the strip will be daily someday, but right now I have to stabilize my income and life first (still sleeping on my sister's floor for now). The Moonlight Motel graphic novel is still in the plan too, of course, and so is bringing back a new and improved Moonlight Movie Show.

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." -- "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" -- "What's that star on the wall for?" -- "I've got a bad feeling about this." -- "I didn't get a 'harumph' outta that guy!" -- "You wanna talk to God? Let's go see him together. I've got nothing better to do."

#4 2012-03-17 00:50:31

The Busboy
Administrator

Oh man, so sorry to hear about your Dad.  So glad your Mom is well again.  Please keep us posted on your projects, as you know you had a lot of fans of your artwork here.  Site is still going, many wonderful people on the site here, makes it worth keeping it up, I work on it to keep it going for the people who really enjoy it.  Post in the art section here too and on the internet section here to about your art and online comic.  Great to hear from you, but so sorry to hear it's been rough.  My friend moved out to your old town.

#5 2012-03-17 02:27:27

slave2moonlight
Website

Thanks, Busboy. Glad to hear the site is doing well. I tried to find the internet thread, but I don't see it anymore, ha. I posted in the art thread though.

#6 2012-03-18 01:02:42

The Busboy
Administrator

Oh yeah, I must have merged the topics, cause not much was in the internet one.  I forgot.

#7 2012-03-18 12:08:20

WolfMontana

Welcome back! smile

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#8 2012-03-18 18:00:48

slave2moonlight
Website

Thanks! smile

Board footer