The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-10 16:24:34

The Busboy
Administrator

Nature vs. Urban/Suburban

More questions to discuss:
Is it a therian trait to enjoy areas with nature vs. areas that are urban/suburban?  Do therians tend to enjoy nature more or not?  or is this not a trait at all?  Please discuss your thoughts in here...

#2 2010-08-10 16:50:36

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Re: Nature vs. Urban/Suburban

Probably nature, I mean, there's a nature preserve surrounding the university, and it's a great place to go out and shift: it's a stimulating environment and there aren't other humans around to bother me, so I can just climb around on trees and stuff.  I guess that would give us a higher appreciation of nature, not much more to say than that...

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#3 2010-08-10 21:03:14

White Wolf
Dreamer of the East [Moderator]
Website

Definitely nature. For me personally, being in the woods around where I can live can either trigger a shift or not, but whenever I'm in northern forests or in the mountains, I shift like crazy. I'm not exactly sure why it mostly occurs up there, but it's happened time after time, so there's definitely a correlation at least with me.

Nos totus take diversus semita ut a similis fortuna per sapientia, vires, quod fides in divinus nostrum maioribus socius.

#4 2010-08-10 21:12:42

Totalimmortal
HAHAHAHA...get it?

Oh, I definitely prefer nature.  I'm pretty much the same way White is when in a foresty/mountainy area.  Visiting Yellowstone a couple years ago pretty much set everything off...

I'll come down and get you high.  Maybe sing you a lullaby.  Sing you to sleep, a sleep you'll never wake from.  Sing you to coma, so to speak.

#5 2010-08-22 14:11:18

WolfVanZandt
Website

No, that's not a Therian trait. I can't imagine a Theran enjoying live in a city like Atlanta, but there actually are some who do. In fact there are the Lord only knows how many Therians in Atlanta - somewhat greatly in excess of a hundred. I had a friend who decided to contact all the Therians in Atlanta but the Bears made it a rather solid point that they had no interest in taking part in his plans and to leave them the heack alone - so he decided that "the better part of valor" and all that stuff.....

#6 2010-08-23 09:25:37

White Wolf
Website

I have to randomly poke in: I HATE ATLANTA.

Sorry about that, I just absolutely hate everything about that city. Heaven knows I could never live there (or in the state of Georgia for that matter).

Back to the topic though, I would suspect that there's a relation between being a therian and preferring nature, but obviously it's not a trait of being a therian. What would be interesting to me though would be to find out if there is a statistical correlation between certain theriotypes and preferring to live in a city and vice versa. For instance, are bear therians more likely to not mind living in a city compared to, say, large cat therians?

Nos totus take diversus semita ut a similis fortuna per sapientia, vires, quod fides in divinus nostrum maioribus socius.

#7 2010-08-23 20:01:29

KiaraWerefox

I prefer nature, but sadly, the woods nearby cannot be accessed because I have to go through property that I don't own to get in the woods, plus I'm deathly frightened of snakes.

#8 2010-08-23 22:24:28

WolfVanZandt
Website

White Wolf, honestly I don't think so. The diversity of Therians in Atlanta is startling. I do notice (I think) that autistic Therians tend to be urban. I might could be proven wrong there but it seems to be the case.

I think that, maybe, Therians polarize more than Mainstreamers. Most Mainstreamers tend to be moderately urban or rural compared to the common Therian attitudes of "I HATE cities!!!" or "I HATE the country!!!"

#9 2010-08-23 22:47:40

White Wolf
Website

You know, that very well could be... It's interesting, because that has tended to be the pattern I've come across with a lot of therians, there does seem to be that divergence there of reacting in one extreme or the other.

Personally, I know that I could never live in a big city, and regardless of whether I live near a smaller city or not, I absolutely have to live in a place surrounded by woods. One thing that I do know is that someday I've got to have a house where I can't see anything else. That's just who I am, I'd go nuts if it were any other way.

#10 2010-08-24 01:43:27

WolfVanZandt
Website

That's why I like towns lke Selma and even the much larger Great Falls, Montana. There's plenty of trees preserved in the urban area. They're practically cities built in forests.

As backward as Alabama has the reputation for being, the state has retained an unusually large amount of wilderness for an eastern state. If only they could install air conditioning.....

#11 2010-08-24 05:54:31

SilentKiller
So very silent its killing

I think maybe a little bit more therians prefer nature than city settings. Some therians may live in the city but love the wild.

Having faith is better than nothing.

Dont worry I wont bite you. I only bite people I really like.

#12 2010-08-24 07:48:45

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

In America, this question is almost like asking if you want Burger King or McDonald's.

They're both food that's become bad for your health, and most of the time taste like complete shite.

Cities, towns, forests, lakes, all have been ruined. Especially in America. So, for me it'd have to be urban where there's at least an attempt for city parks to be 'beautiful'.

<3

#13 2010-08-24 08:25:32

White Wolf
Website

WolfVanZandt wrote:

That's why I like towns lke Selma and even the much larger Great Falls, Montana. There's plenty of trees preserved in the urban area. They're practically cities built in forests.

As backward as Alabama has the reputation for being, the state has retained an unusually large amount of wilderness for an eastern state. If only they could install air conditioning.....

That's exactly how a feel about Tallahassee. Of course, folks always compare us to Alabama (or call us Lower Alabama), so it doesn't really surprise me that it's the same.

#14 2010-08-24 15:01:14

ilrak
Website

I can live in either urban or nature environments, but lately (probably due mostly to my health), I've been favoring urban areas. More people to watch, more smells to smell, and sometimes places will have music streaming out into the streets. London is probably my ideal urban area, really. I'm in love with the mix of accents there. Cities at night are also my favorites (though I also like going to where I can see stars). I like all of the colored lights in the cities at night. And you have a whole different group of people to watch. There should really be a Petersen's Guide to People Watching.

When I go bird watching, I like going somewhere either desertish or marshy, though you can find some really nifty city birds as well (like the falcons that live up in Temple Square or the vultures at our capital building). Fishing, I prefer stable ground. I think my change of tastes (you couldn't get me out of a forest or a marsh when I was seven) has to do with the change in my health. For almost a decade, my health has gotten progressively worse and so any of my nature trips end up getting cut short because I need to get back to civilization for what ever reason. Hopefully, whenever they figure out what is wrong with me, I'll be able to spend more time in nature and truly enjoy it again, but right now, I'm definitely a city bird.

#15 2010-08-25 02:22:36

Moonlit Hunter

LycanJayBoy wrote:

Cities, towns, forests, lakes, all have been ruined. Especially in America. So, for me it'd have to be urban where there's at least an attempt for city parks to be 'beautiful'.

I disagree. There are some areas in the US that aren't that nice anymore, but the majority of our natural areas are still nice. Also, I don't understand the, "Especially in America," qualification. We have more untouched wilderness than a lot of other westernized countries, thanks to the national park movement and the national forests, wilderness areas, ect.

#16 2010-08-29 14:19:33

WolfVanZandt
Website

I've seen a National geographic map of biodiversity in the US and, evidently, there's more biodiversity in Northern Florida and Alabama than any other area of the US.

The panhandle of Florida keeps wanting to secede from Florida, anyway, and about half the time they want to become Alabama. hat would be sorta nice, though. It would round out the state outlines quite satisfactorily.

#17 2010-08-29 17:19:35

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

Moonlit Hunter wrote:

LycanJayBoy wrote:

I disagree. There are some areas in the US that aren't that nice anymore, but the majority of our natural areas are still nice. Also, I don't understand the, "Especially in America," qualification. We have more untouched wilderness than a lot of other westernized countries, thanks to the national park movement and the national forests, wilderness areas, ect.

Okay, maybe not ALL of America, but you ever been to North Dakota? It's a gently caressing bore!
Not to mention, the only thing you see is the color of wheat, and the skyline meeting the land, a straight horizontal line 360 degrees around your person.

It's Ugly.

<3

#18 2010-08-30 00:12:47

WolfVanZandt
Website

Well, yeah, Nebraska's sorta like that also, but that's not the fault of people - the prairies have been like that by their very nature. I don't like flat lands, but I figured out long ago that Nature isn't interested in my preferences or conveniences.

#19 2010-08-30 11:06:03

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

To answer the original question, I don't see a preference for nature as a Therian specific trait. Though I could see Therianthropy influencing (though not dictating) an individuals personal preference. 

As for myself, I would choose a more natural setting over an urban one any day. I feel more at home, and able to breath when I disappear in the mountains and forests. I really do think that my being a Therian has influenced those feelings, as it really does seem that in nature the world makes more sense, when the cities are just noise and chaos.  I know for sure that I would never be able to live in the larger cities, especially as I find SLC (which isn't large at all in comparison to others) to be too large of a city.

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#20 2011-03-07 17:31:35

CassieRose
Website

I agree with most (if not all) of you guys smile and I have a question: What do you do if the area of woods you like to shift in is almost constantly occupied by people ?

#21 2011-03-07 17:38:54

WolfVanZandt
Website

Find another area of woods?

That was just speculation since I don't shift.

#22 2011-03-07 17:44:09

CassieRose
Website

Well I would but there really is nowhere else for me to go, I can't move to some other area (if I could I would) >.< I really would be shifting more often if I had more privacy, plus my bedroom isn't working out for me. But now that I'm thinking about it, if I wanted to go across a few neighborhoods there might be another area to shift in. I dunno, I'll figure it out later.

#23 2011-03-08 03:33:47

Moonlit Hunter

Kind of odd that woods are consistently occupied by people? I don't know many people other than myself who have any interest in veering off a pre-set path, and I rarely see people who do when I am off said path in woods.

#24 2011-03-08 06:24:37

CassieRose
Website

Its usually gross looking stoners/annoying teenagers/people with guns who stray off of the path, the decent people like to stay on the paths.

#25 2011-03-08 18:39:05

WolfVanZandt
Website

O.o

Hmmm....really? Around here, it's the decent people who like to stray off the path. The lowlifes are usually too lazy to take a walk in the woods.

Are you sure that your shifting is that noticeable? I've noticed that young Therians tend to worry a lot more about shifting than they need to. In most areas I've been in (and I've been around), people tend to rather pointedly ignore shifters. In gatherings, I will usually howl lustily just to show the Therians with me how determinedly others try to ignore Therian activity.

Board footer