The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-20 00:10:20

A-Cursed-Sacrifice

The Werewolf Competition!

WELCOME!
i've been looking around and most sites will give the same information about what werewolves look like.
what i'm wondering is if any of you have a description of what you think is a better transformation than the normal suff.
describe what you seee when you see a werewolf.

for example: how long should the hair get, what color should the eyes be, can they change whenever they want, are they in control when they change, do they have a tail, are their senses better or worse?

personally i think:
hair should be short
eyes- white
only werewolves with extreme control can change at will but that could tke years or even a lifetime to accomplish
no they are not in control but if they are strong willed they can prvent theselves from harming loved ones
medium sized tail
hearing is a lot better
feeling is worse (allows them to be harder to stop)
sight is normal but they can see a bigger plane, width and length is more
can't speak
smell is better
a lot faster
stronger
they age normally (this is very contrary to the popular opinion since they are part wolf and wolves age a lot faster. but i think of a werewolf as the best of both wolf and human)
full moon forces the change and then even the people with a little control have nothing, it is unleashed
you can't remember what happens in werewolf form even if you were in a little bit of control
can't turn into a wolf willingly, you only turn into a wolf if you were trapped in werewolf form somehow and eventully you turn back into a wolf fore ever  and your mind gone
the fur can be any natural color although females are usually white furred

(you may mention anything you like as long as it gives us a clear picture of the werewolf)

also the transformation for the most part is the same but does anything stick out?

for me i see the red in your eyes lengthen for the day before the full moon and right before any other transformation then the pupils enlarge to the whole eye and shrink to nothing so it's left with just white

if there are enough posts i'll average all the thaughts out and use it in my book as a prize for sharing (i know lame prize since a lot of you wont read my book anyway)(then i also don't get to do what i want to. but this adds a new level of fun to my book creation process so i don't mind)
minimum replies = 5
max replies = 10
each peron is only counted once
mine don't count
posts will not be counted if not in depth
if over 10 respond only the first 10 will be counted

everyone who participates will have another task afterwards and the winner of that task will get the prize of making a character that i have to use in my book(can't be something outrageous like a talking elaphant though wink and it has to be given a major role and it can't die right away) (further conditions will be made about the second task in the future)

i figure if i was you i'd think that it would be cool to read a book and see a character that i made come to life and grow!

Last edited by A-Cursed-Sacrifice (2010-11-23 17:35:30)

"One day your life will flash before your eyes, make sure it’s worth watching."
"Everything in the right dose is poison, Aconitum, Laceflower, Monkshood, Love..."

#2 2010-11-20 15:50:13

Warchildsilver

Re: The Werewolf Competition!

For colouring of the fur and eye colour, I tend to use real wolves as inspiration.  Wolves have yellow eyes - which I see as carrying over.  I don't envision anything changing in the eyes otherwise, as it takes too much to figure out how it could do that.  The eye is a complex thing, but colour change already happens naturally.  I like to try and (all things considered) keep what I can, as scientifically or naturally plausible.

Of course I understand we're discussing a supernatural being, but my werewolf concepts usually work in the realm of 'divergent species' and not supernatural entity.  Also I try to keep in line with the idea that a mass of an object or person cannot simply increase or decrease.

Height would be approximately the same as the human form, if a little shorter.  Musculature would be the same as well.  The human form of a werewolf would tend to be well developed, with thick musculature as the animal side demands a lot of protein to sustain a change.  Fur when it's grown out will add to the bulk, making them look bigger than they are.  It's thick and would be coloured in varying combinations, ie: greys, browns, black and white, depending on the pack or even the region the werewolf is from.  It does have a tail, but it's shorter and possibly only a foot or so in length.  The head is very much canine, with an elongated snout and sharp teeth.  Even though the vocal cords can produce sounds, the mouth can't articulate as easily, so speech - though not impossible - would be clumsy and difficult to understand.  The hands and feet still retain human characteristics, though clawed and the legs are digitigrade.

They are smart, intelligent and family centric - as pack animals, they can recognize the scent of family.  They are not mindless beasts, but the world of a hunter is different than the world of man - which makes them dangerous.

For the purpose of this post, I decided to opt out of details about when they change or how - and focus instead on the animal itself.

*They were always here.  I just unlocked the door.*

#3 2010-11-20 18:41:27

Afflicted.Soul

I see a unnaturally muscular creature on two legs with Jet black fur and white eyes. The hair on the head flows back into a wild mane, while the face has shorter finer hair. Actually...The best description for me is the werewolf that Hugh Jackman turns into in Van Helsing...That was a good werewolf.

Why didn't you just jump....

#4 2010-11-20 22:00:46

A-Cursed-Sacrifice

warchild i like what you came up with and yes the eye thing is random and doesn't mean anything but since it is fictional i don't mind doing something crazy.

afflicted could you put a link to a picture or video of it?

"Everything in the right dose is poison, Aconitum, Laceflower, Monkshood, Love..."

#5 2010-11-21 03:26:44

Jeanne

Well, since it's no general concept of transformation I'd give what I did to my story.

Shape shifting = Involuntary; effected by moon.

Size = like human form. In my opinion werewolf shouldn't getting bigger as a wolf than as a man. Where could the mass come form? If we stick to Einstein; it needs Tsar Bomba's energy for werewolf to getting bigger like it showed in T.V.

Shape = I stick to old lore about man turning into a wolf, I always describe a werewolf as look exactly like a wolf but massive as it's man size.

Color = Fur color is the same as hair, since my character is blond, my werewolf is yellowish cream.

Eye = Since eye color is importance to my story. I keep it like human form. (It's green)

Sense = I keep it the same as human form but even in human form her olfaction is unearthly sharp. She can pick one's scent among thousands from miles away. She sense people's emotion from change in their scent. her vision is normal; worsen in wolf form. hearing is sharp but nothing significant.

Strength = Tie to moon circle. Strength and speed increase as moon waxing; decrease as moon waning. Though, even on new moon when she's the weakest; she's as strong as good shape adult.

Last edited by Jeanne (2010-11-21 03:53:24)

#6 2010-11-21 14:19:43

Afflicted.Soul

This is what I imagine...

Last edited by Afflicted.Soul (2010-11-21 14:26:34)

Why didn't you just jump....

#7 2010-11-23 17:41:21

A-Cursed-Sacrifice

thanks for the pic now you're in

that makes three all we need is two more
(yes i know i shrunk it but that's because i looked around and realized that there aren't many responces to posts on this site)

Last edited by A-Cursed-Sacrifice (2010-11-23 17:42:24)

#8 2010-12-03 10:40:55

A-Cursed-Sacrifice

anyone else?

#9 2011-01-17 12:35:03

Kailito Ysdrasil

shifting: depends on class, were wolf class, involuntary, full moon only, no control at all, half wolfen form. lycan class, can shift voluntarily near full moon, retains control, has the half wolf and full wolf forms (full wolf only on full moon). loup garou class (the highest class) completely voluntary, retains full control, and can out power the other two classes in wolf form, has intense urge to shift on full moon, but not mandatory, and has both forms at will.

size: for the half-wolf form: same hieght as when human, maybe a little taller. for the full wolf form: about the size a real life wolf, depends slightly on the height and preference of the human form, can be about as big as a dire wolf (which, if i recall correctly, head height for those is up to the average man's ribcage). any lost height when going to the full wolf forms is converted into sheer power.

shape: half wolf: the average person with wolf features, snout, tail, fur everywhere and claws. full wolf form looks exactly like a wolf.

color: fur color is generally the same as thier hair color, though the loup garou class can change thier fur color to whatever they want, as long as they concentrate on it being that color BEFORE they shift.

eyes: same as human form, except when thier mad, or if they are the basic werewolf class. then its red.

senses: sharper in human form than the average human, drastically reduced pain reception, faster than normal recovery rate, in wolf form, senses are through the roof.

strength: more than the average human, a 16 year old underweight female can whup a heavyweight fighting champion, but also tied to class. werewolf class is weakest, lycan class is in the middle, and loup garou class is the strongest in any form and tend to be the dominant in thier packs, if its a mixed pack. though some have been known to have an alpha from a weaker class. it's based a little bit on thier personality. if they have a softer, kinder personality, they wont throw around their power as readily. if they have an aggressive personality, they'll use sheer power to get whatever they want. they do tend to be stronger near the full moon.

Why is it so hard to find someone who cares about you?~
When it's easy enough to find someone who looks down on you?~
I'll believe all your lies, just pretend you love me~
Make believe, close your eyes, I'll be anything for you~

#10 2011-01-17 15:44:27

ShadowWolf2010
Website

I would do this...but mines too complicated. LOL.

--Tony
"Woof."

#11 2011-01-18 20:25:17

Kailito Ysdrasil

(shadow, you should!)

#12 2011-01-19 00:23:49

clairsior818

hair should be shaggy, but not overpoweringly so.
eyes- Brown, sometimes gold, even at times hazel green.
Werewolves change when they lose control of emotions and or full moon is out.
Not in control, will attack anyone, but only when provoked.
No tail.
Hearing increased.
Touch is lessened by thick pads on half wolf, half human hands.
Sight is changed, cannot see in color relies on sense of smell more often and can see a greater distance more clearly than a human would.
Can't speak like a human, but can communicate with animals.
Sense of smell is increased.
Body structure/skeletal structure/muscular structure is physically changed when they transform.
Muscles increase in density and thickness.
they age slowly physically, but mentally they age faster than either wolf or human. (Imagine a 20 year old human with an 80 year old mans mentality while still being perfectly clear, no mental deterioration.)
full moon forces the change, can always remember the events of the change but only in a dream-state condition.
Can't go full wolf, but can go full human.
Fur color is as diverse as Human hair color, it all depends on the humans natural hair color. Same for both Male and Female Werewolves.

"Life is weird, I am just trying to fit in." - Joshua Harper

#13 2011-01-19 04:45:06

SilentStrider

I'm considering adding my own descriptive bit here, but I still have to work it out then I'll cut and paste it.  Before I do I'd like to broach a subject involving the transformation of a human into a werewolf.  Like WarChild I too am particuarly fond of the cinema version of the Van Helsing werewolf and I also like to imagine my werewolves growing in size with more than a few extra ponds of muscle.  Let's face it who doesn't like their werewolves looking strong and powerful.  But the issue I find myself tackling on occassion is trying to invent some kind of plausible rationale for where does our were critter attain all that extra mass from apparently thin air?

I'd like to hear what sort of crazy ideas some of you guys can come up with.
I know it can be a challenging concept to develop, but maybe bouncing ideas back and forth we might be able to come up with something decent.

Back when I was a kid I remember having a discussion like this with my father on a rather similar topic.  The character in question was the big green, mean machine we all know as the Incredible Hulk.  He's a perfect example of what I want to know.  If memory serves me right I think my father even suggested a possible explanaition having to do with ectoplasm, which I believe can be termed as some kind of plasmic gel that in theory permeates our universe on a different plain of existance.

Remember the movie Ghostbusters and that gelatin substances Slimer spewed all over someone?  That's a good example of ectoplasm and how you could imagine it looking like if it were taken out of its native realm and forced into physical reality.  This ectoplasm is presumably all around us so what if during the transformation of our Hulk/Werewolf their bodies somehow make use of this material and are able to incorporate it into mass and muscle?  It does kinda of remind me, ectoplasm that is, of what I imagine a clump of amino acids to look like, you know," the basic building blocks of life".

Well that's all food for thought.  I think I'm going to research some ideas now and see what I can find out.  Let's see what you guys can come up with?

Last edited by SilentStrider (2011-01-19 04:49:17)

#14 2011-01-19 09:24:24

SilentStrider

I know I'm replying to my own post but I discovered this interesting bit of sciency information that I'm just going to cut and paste here.  It's all in reference to the Hulk but same thing can be applied to our werewolves getting bigger and stronger.  I still hope that some of you other readers can still muster up the ambition to contribute some other ideas, but if not I don't blame you.  This is a tough subject to come up with any plausible answer.

I got this from this link, http://enterthestory.com/superscience.html

copy paste it if you want to read it all.

Superhero Science:
The Official Truth
by Chris Tolworthy

How I made this discovery

This all started when I was reading a comic about Giant Man. Or maybe it was Ant Man. or both. If you've read those stories, you will know that they require a Ph.D. in comicology. Ant Man? Ant Man 2? Yellow Jacket? Goliath? If you can follow all those changes, then atomic physics is easy. Anyway, three questions bugged me:

1. Where does Giant Man's extra mass come from?

2. Where does Ant Man's mass go to?

3. And why doesn't Giant Man collapse under his own weight?

Think about it. Strength depends on the cross-section area of your muscles and bones. It doesn't matter how long they are, it's the thickness that counts. So if you are twice as big, you will be four times as strong (muscles are twice as wide and twice as deep) but eight times as heavy (height times width times depth). Four times as strong, but eight times as heavy? So you will feel only half as strong as before! The bigger you get, the weaker you feel. And it works the other way too. That is why fleas can jump huge distances, but elephants can't jump at all.

Well it seemed obvious to me that there must be some way to change mass. But that also that mass changing had to be very smart. Though the size changed, the mass did not always change as much. Probably the distance between the atoms just increased, but the forces holding the atoms also increased so the strength changed as needed.

That was it! That was the breakthrough!

Suddenly I realized that this did not just explain growing and shrinking. it also explained super strength! And heroes like the Vision who change their mass radically! And a little thought showed that it also explained every other kind of super power! Yes, all of them! And it solved the problem of superheroes doing stuff that seemed just too crazy for their regular powers. It explained everything!

I call this theory the BEM, not the Bug Eyed Monster, but the Background Energy Mass theory. Put simply, background energy is used to either change the mass of atoms in the superhero's body, or change the values of their normal properties (mainly energy, separation and attraction). Either read the science bit, or take my word for it. Your call!

I went to the above mentioned link and read through all the sciency technical stuff.  I was in a nerdy mood so i figured what the heck.  It actually had some good humor involved with the description and I found myself laughing quite a bit, so don't be afraid to check out the more in depth explanation.  If you go to the above link you'll a few other additional links at the bottom in the form of colored words.  That's where all the details are that I'm talking about I found humorous.

If you want just the explanation for the original question of extra mass (and I'll include super strength in there as well, because really strong werewolves kick a$$, and look cool doing it! big_smile ) I cut and pasted it below

Increases in mass
In the introduction we saw that when a superhero transforms and increases in mass, the extra mass comes from the universe's background energy. That energy is also used to increase the distance between the atoms and the forces between them, otherwise the hero would be so heavy that they can't stand up.

Note that the hero's body is chemically the same (assuming they don't gain any additional super powers). At a subatomic level it is totally different, and the atoms are spread out more, but at a molecular level - the chemicals that make up the body - the hero seems completely unchanged, except for being bigger and heavier.

Increases in strength
Modest strength increases (to greatest-human-athlete levels) can be explained by simply increasing the size of the muscles.

Further strength increases (up to a few tons of lifting power) come from creating different molecular structures in the muscles.

Heavyweight class strength (hundreds or thousands of tons) comes from changing the forces between atoms. Note that each level of strength gain comes from a smaller and smaller scale. Each new level requires the body to be re engineered at a smaller and smaller level.

Crazy Level Strength (millions of tons plus) really comes under the category or teleportation. The hero kicks the mountain and the mountain moves. The hero might THINK they have pushed it, but of course that kind of force would just crush the nearby rocks and leave the rest unchanged. What has really happened is that the hero has changed the atoms of the mountain itself so that they move. More about this when we discuss teleporting, force fields, and action-at-a-distance

Last edited by SilentStrider (2011-01-19 10:00:24)

#15 2011-01-19 17:13:35

clairsior818

To bounce this explanation of why out there...

If you look at the character's of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, you see the same base transformation as with the Hulk, and werewolves.
The real question that should be asked is-- What spurred the individual transformations in the beginning?

For Bruce Banner it was the added influence of Gamma Radiation and a latent recessive gene that was activated and enhanced by the gamma radiation. Sadly, the Hulk lost a large amount of Dr. Banner's intelligence and self control. The Hulk very basically began acting on instinct and reacting to the base emotions of Bruce Banner. The chemicals released by the brain that induce anger, fear, love, or any other emotion had a chemical effect on the gamma radiation which was affecting the recessive gene. With any emotion a certain amount of adrenaline is released by the brain, the stronger the emotion is, the larger the dose of adrenaline. I propose that once the recessive trait was mutated, and activated and made dominant by the Gamma radiation. The introduction of adrenaline induced a physical increase in strength as is common in human beings, however it reacted negatively with the mutated gene causing a virtual explosion inside of Bruce Banner which induced the change in size and strength.

In the case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Dr. Jekyll induced the change with a potion. Eventually, after taking the potion enough times the potion had an adverse effect on his genes causing a similar genetic mutation of a recessive gene making it dominant as found in the case of Bruce Banner. Whenever Dr. Jekyll changed however, his Mr. Hyde personality came out. Mr. Hyde was generally considered evil, but he was also intelligent. Why did that happen? Why couldn't Dr. Jekyll maintain control? Why was Hyde evil, and still intelligent when Bruce Banner wasn't? What was different? The answer is all the same and is very simple. When Dr. Jekyll became mister Hyde, it happened for the same reason as Bruce Banner's change into the Hulk. The introduction of adrenaline into the system of Dr. Jekyll caused a reaction with the mutated gene triggering the change. However, Dr. Jekyll was highly sensitive to any dose of adrenaline, so his emotional state was only half the problem. If you had Dr. Jekyll run on a treadmill for ten minutes, his body wold be producing a certain amount of adrenaline. Any introduction of adrenaline in his case would cause the change into Mr. Hyde. When such an introduction of adrenaline occurs in normal humans it causes us to become more concerned with what we want, we don't think about whats stopping us from getting it, and we do anything to get it, but at the same time we don't lose any of our intelligence.  It only serves to make us even more deadly. Case and point: A mother lifting a car off of her child due to the introduction of adrenaline. In the case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, it is the same as a normal human. The change occurs because of the mutated recessive trait being affected by the introduction of adrenaline sending him into a childlike mentality of, "I want this, and nothing will stop me from having it." If he wants money, he would rob a bank, if he wants sex, he would rape someone, if he wants to fly he will jump off of a building, if he wants to die he would stab himself. Anything Dr. Jekyll is feeling is superimposed onto Mr. Hyde who does everything in his power to get what he wants. For example, Dr. Jekyll is (forgive the crudeness of this next part) attracted to his secretary, he does a couple jumping Jacks and Mr. Hyde takes over and rapes the secretary. He turns back and his need is satisfied. Another example, Dr. Jekyll is angry at his friend who has slept with his girlfriend. A part of him wants to kill his friend, and when Dr. Jekyll is angry he gets a dose of adrenaline making Mr. Hyde come out. Mr. Hyde hunts down and kills Dr. Jekyll's friend. Mr. Hyde is a being of pleasure, and he has the intelligence to achieve that pleasure no matter what the pleasure is thanks to Dr. Jekyll. That is how we explain Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

In the case of a Werewolf you have three base properties as seen with the above two cases. One: Introduction of foreign substance into body. Two: Chemical reaction inside of body.
Three: Recessive trait that is mutated by foreign substance causing change.

The foreign substance is a Wolf bite, or a Werewolf bite. My theory is that a certain rare type of rabies is introduced into the human system via a wolf's/werewolf's bite. This rare type of rabies has a genetic effect on the recessive trait already located in the human body causing it to mutate. The gene becomes dominant, and and is highly reactant to adrenaline.  The moon cycle often has an affect on the human body that usually goes unnoticed. Sometimes it's a bad headache, sometimes you get sick, and other times as in the case of most women you have cramps or go through your period on the dates of or around the full moon. The moons effect on the human body resonates with mutated gene causing the change. The change can also be induced with the introduction of adrenaline into the body. The werewolf itself is merely the rabies imitating it's first host and running wild. Physical changes are common in modern day society namely the three main types of physical change is: Bone restructuring, muscle strength increased, and hair amount increased. To those who have these qualities without the introduction of foreign substance into their bodies, the full change would be quite remarkable. The rabies would mutate the already dominant gene making it more potent and the introduction of moon phase and adrenaline would cause them to become quite the powerful Werewolf.

I submit this as my theory for the change From Human to Werewolf.

#16 2011-01-21 16:58:30

Kailito Ysdrasil

it has to do with the amount of the brain we use, in my opinion. humans only use 10% of thier brina, and no one knows what the other 90% is capable of. in my opinion, all the psychics and such simply have more of thier brain 'active', maybe 11% or more, depending on how powerful they are. one of the things about adrenaline is, when its coursing through your system, it TEMPORARILY releases the limits your own mind placed on your body. the werewolf change, in my opinion, has a similar effect, resulting in a lot of extra muscle that results in extra size. on the higher classed ones, such as loup garoux and some lycans, they actually have the force of will to actually CONTROL this process, giving them a much higher versatility that most humans are completely incapable of. in other words, they use a much higher percentage of the mind's near limitless potential power, and that results in things that would seem impossible to others, such as changing size and shape, and gaining a large amount of muscle from seemingly thin air.

#17 2011-01-21 21:45:07

Kailito Ysdrasil

that's also my theory for the lycanthropy. not a sickness, but a genetic trait, one that involves a much higher percentage of the brain active, resulting in the shape changing and various other things associated with lycanthropy. and as for the species of them, it hasto do with two things: he family's common species, and the individual's personality. often times the person will be of the same species, but be a different breed. for example, a person born into a family of were-snakes would be a snake, but, if they have, say, a cold personality, they might be a viper or a cobra, if they have a unfeeling killer type personality, they may wind up as an anaconda (which would make thier crimes hard to track, as they may eat their victims more often than not), or if they have a nicer personality, they may wind up as a 'gentler' snake, such as a python or some other black-eyed breed of snake. occasionally, however, if an individual's personality is vastly different from that of thier family's, they may wind up as a different species altogether, but still carry a gene for the family species, and have a bit of the traits of that breed, even if its normally incompatible with thier species. this is also how cross breeds and even cross hybrids are handled: there is mixing of the two breeds in the children, who, based on thier personalities, may have abilities of one or even both breeds, and three or all four in the case of cross hybrids. though it gets unstable if the crosshybrids dont have a single common species. the children will be immune to most diseases that affect humans and the species they carry, but they also will have strange illnesses that only affect them at random times, like randomly fainting or such despite being fine two seconds earlier, and then feeling fine immediately afterwards. though the DNA starts to get highly unstable if you try and mix five or more different species, like say two hybrids with a common species had a child who tied to mate with a hybrid without any similar species, or anything like that. which is why the children of cross hybrids generally try and find someone who at least has a common breed with them, or multiple if they fall for a hybrid. obviously, however, homosexual cross-hybrids dont have that worry...they simply have to keep an eye on thier own health and that of thier mates.

#18 2011-01-21 22:36:22

clairsior818

Actually, that's an old saying but it isn't accurate. It was figured back in the sixties, before we had all of the scans available that can analyze brain activity invented,  that we only used 10% of our brain because all of the evidence back then supported that theory. However, it was never proved.
In fact, with the introduction of MRI's into modern day scans we can see exactly how much of our brain we use. As it happens, we are already using all of our brain. Telepathy, and all of the mental "powers" associated with it are not caused by the use of that "extra few percent" of our brains. There is however, an unexplainable thing that occurs. Thought. We do not know where thought originates from, but what we do know is that it does not originate from the brain. And hybrid breeding is not hard to control. Any child of two separate species will be sterile however. That is the only problem I have with your theory. A real life example of such a thing is a Mule. Or a Liger. Both are capable of being born, but they cannot have children of their own. What you would have to do is dive into the world of Transgenics. For example, you can cross the DNA that codes for a specific trait in a bird, like wings, and introduce it into a human system, and the human system would force the body to grow wings. It has been done already, in this lifetime. It has relatively nothing to do with the psychology of a person, so it will not be affected by our own preferences. The DNA originates from a bird, so whatever color the birds wings are would be the same color of the wings that grow on the human.  If you take the nucleus of a certain male animals cell, lets say a capuchan monkey, and introduce it into an embryo from, lets say bald eagle, and then plant it inside of a female animals uterus, it grows and becomes a child of the two different species, but not the child of the one that carried it. That is the method of Transgenics.

(My grandparents, and my parents are scientists. My grandmother is a Biologist, my step grandfather a Neurologist and a Geologist, my non-step grandfather is a Marine biologist, My mother is a Biologist and Physicist, my father an Archaeologist and Biologist. I have been well versed in these subjects, but I am only a speculative scientist. I know all about the proven bits of science, and I go through and think up new questions, and guess based on the facts already present at the answer to those questions. It then becomes the territory of theoretical scientists to go through and gather evidence to back my speculation up enough to make it into a theory. Then the real work begins. They send out the theory to a good scientific group who then go through and start to experiment based on the theory to prove it true, or false. Once proved, if proved of course, it then becomes a scientific law.)

Last edited by clairsior818 (2011-01-21 22:52:28)

#19 2011-01-22 01:20:59

SilentStrider

I like your ideas for werewolves, Clair, but the big thing for me that I was trying to figure out was the spontaneous creation of extra body mass.  Where can a shape-changing creature suddenly acquire it?  While I investigated that idea I also realized bigger doesn't necessarily mean stronger.  Below is an excerpt from the link I posted in the above explaining that concept.

"Think about it. Strength depends on the cross-section area of your muscles and bones. It doesn't matter how long they are, it's the thickness that counts. So if you are twice as big, you will be four times as strong (muscles are twice as wide and twice as deep) but eight times as heavy (height times width times depth). Four times as strong, but eight times as heavy? So you will feel only half as strong as before! The bigger you get, the weaker you feel. And it works the other way too. That is why fleas can jump huge distances, but elephants can't jump at all."

This guys solution wasn't about a body suddenly growing the way we would think of growing, which is usually considered to be the multiplying of cells.  Even if it was the case of cells just getting larger then once again where do the cells get all this material from in order to increase their size?  To cut to the meat of it all, and to drop all the other examples of popular suggested methods, the above link was making the point that the transformation wasn't occurring at a cellular level, but rather an atomic level.  The spaces between atoms was what increases as well as the forces that hold them together.  I actually thought the whole concept was quite brilliant and wraps everything up in a nice neat bow.

#20 2011-01-22 12:32:13

clairsior818

I see. But there is also he density of the muscle to take into account. Big muscles really are not that strong when compared to dense muscles. For example, a fisherman has an amazing capacity to use a fishing rod held by his hands to lift squirming struggling 100 lb. fish out of the ocean multiple times within 30 minutes of catching the first. I have caught a 31 lb. fish and after I caught it I couldn't move my arms for half an hour. It took nearly two days for me to get my hands and arms back to normal where I could move without feeling pain. But the point is, these fisherman have an amazing strength in their hands. The only thing I couldn't figure out at first was why they weren't huge muscular macho men. They were tiny compared to me, and I mean height wise, but they weren't brawny at all. Then it occurred to me. If muscles are strong when thick, aren't they stronger when they are dense? To further the point of that author, I think that the space between atoms is a great theory, with a few minor adjustments here and there it could become a scientific law, but you must also consider muscle density.

Board footer