The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#51 2011-03-22 10:03:31

BrayRoadBeast

Re: Being Human - American

Makes you appreciate when Josh beat the crap out of Marcus outside that "blood den" in one of the earlier episodes........

#52 2011-03-22 20:34:14

blackjack60
Website

God, what a fugly-looking werewolf! And typical cheapo Sy-Fy CGI...

#53 2011-03-22 23:04:11

WolfMontana

Actually, while that's what I felt when I saw it the first time in the apartment, for this eppy I was rather impressed with how well these wolves were integrated into their environment, and by their very lifelike eyes. Usually, with the SyFy CGI, you get a weird grey cast to the 'monster' and a lack of detail/proper texturing. Also the animation tends to be unreal. There was PLENTY of detail in these critters. I particularly liked the fact that while they used digigrade legs, they kept the front legs very much like human arms. The werewolf is walking on the palm up front, instead of the toes, has very prominent human muscular arrangements up front, and canine behind. And they were animated very well.

While I've never been a fan of mangy wolves (Underworld, Harry Potter 3, etc), ie, wolves with only a little bit of hair, these werewolves are for some reason working for me. I'm now quite impressed with how unique they are, and how much attention went into how they move and look.

Having said that, the BBC werewolf would kick this one's ass. wink

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#54 2011-03-22 23:59:59

MarkOne
Website

WolfMontana wrote:

Actually, while that's what I felt when I saw it the first time in the apartment, for this eppy I was rather impressed with how well these wolves were integrated into their environment, and by their very lifelike eyes. Usually, with the SyFy CGI, you get a weird grey cast to the 'monster' and a lack of detail/proper texturing. Also the animation tends to be unreal. There was PLENTY of detail in these critters. I particularly liked the fact that while they used digigrade legs, they kept the front legs very much like human arms. The werewolf is walking on the palm up front, instead of the toes, has very prominent human muscular arrangements up front, and canine behind. And they were animated very well.

While I've never been a fan of mangy wolves (Underworld, Harry Potter 3, etc), ie, wolves with only a little bit of hair, these werewolves are for some reason working for me. I'm now quite impressed with how unique they are, and how much attention went into how they move and look.

Totally agree about the werewolves in the original show.

One thing I've noticed while watching the original, over each of the three seasons, the werewolf design has grown and expanded with each new season, definitely in the third season where we get to see more of the transformed look.

Now that the US version has been picked up for a second season, makes you wonder if they'll do the same and improve the look.  Now keeping in mind which network is airing this, it's a long shot at best, but I'm just throwing it out there.

There can be only one. MarkOne. smile

#55 2011-03-23 00:15:27

Viergacht

WolfMontana wrote:

Unfurry werewolves are a reasonable compromise for TV animation - animating a ton of hair just would take too much processing power. I thought the movement and interaction were very well done - two characters interacting is VERY difficult to do (and I say this having some experience animating CGI). And like you pointed out, I like them digitigrade on all fours with humanlike arms. Makes them look like AmWolf! The only detail I don't particularly like on them is the tail, it sort of looks like half-done.

#56 2011-03-23 22:39:00

WolfMontana

Yeah, kinda like a rat tail - or actually, if anyone else has the Doctor Who Tooth & Claw werewolf figure, very much like it's tail.

#57 2011-03-24 01:59:47

mrRW

Actually dug the older wolf more.  Seemed like the bigger body fit the style they were going for a bit better.

#58 2011-03-30 10:30:43

White Wolf
Dreamer of the East [Moderator]
Website

I love this show... I've been watching all season, and it's quickly became my favorite on tv right now. I'm not sure why really... I just like the way they all interact I guess. Also, I thought that the werewolf form on the show is AWESOME. I feel like it's almost the perfect blend between the full wolf werewolf (my personal favorite) and enough of the human anatomy to make it different. Josh cracks me up too. Was there ever such a reluctant werewolf? tongue

Nos totus take diversus semita ut a similis fortuna per sapientia, vires, quod fides in divinus nostrum maioribus socius.

#59 2011-03-30 20:36:50

lupinealchemist

Let's see.
So far, Rebecca and Marcus are dead, Bishop is starting a war, Josh has the possibility of being a father, and Sally is becoming a malevolent entity. 
Good season so far.

#60 2011-04-03 12:18:56

White Wolf
Website

That last episode was crazy! It almost sort of felt like a season finale. I sort of predicted the whole Josh making his girlfriend pregnant thing though. What I really wish is that he'd actually turn her into a werewolf too. That would lead to some interesting issues... tongue As for Sally, I wonder if she'll be ok?

All in all, my favorite actor is still the guy playing Bishop. I thought he was absolutely awesome as Jacob in Lost, and he's just as mysterious as Bishop in Being Human. All I can say is that this series has quickly become one of my favorite all time.

Nos totus take diversus semita ut a similis fortuna per sapientia, vires, quod fides in divinus nostrum maioribus socius.

#61 2011-04-04 15:48:37

lupinealchemist

If the kid doesn't become miscarried or stillborn, I can think of a couple outcomes for Josh's seed. Best case scenario it's a miracle child like in Skinwalkers where it makes many steps forward in constructing a cure or at least make the curse more tolerable.
Worst case is that it becomes a horrid abomination like in Howling 3 that needs to be euthanized

#62 2011-04-05 09:52:26

mrRW

Its interesting that the child is growing faster than expected.  Wonder what this may foretell?

#63 2011-04-05 17:00:25

White Wolf
Website

Holy moly, was that not an INSANE ending to the last episode?!?!?!?! Boy! I wonder why Bishop was burning... Of course we all know that Aiden will be fine and Sally won't leave because the series got picked up for a second season (yay!), but I'm most interested to see if Josh tells his girlfriend the truth...

#64 2011-04-05 20:08:24

mrRW

White Wolf wrote:

Holy moly, was that not an INSANE ending to the last episode?!?!?!?! Boy! I wonder why Bishop was burning...

May have to do w/him entering the house uninvited.

#65 2011-04-05 20:13:50

lupinealchemist

White Wolf wrote:

I wonder why Bishop was burning...

In case you didn't know, in this show, vampires have to be invited to safely enter a domain. It's like a spiritual barrier to them.

It's nice to see old vampire myths and folklore in modern fiction.

#66 2011-04-05 22:50:58

White Wolf
Website

Ah, that's really cool! I definitely did not know that! Boy, if I were in the show I'd just barricade myself in my house then. tongue

#67 2011-04-07 22:41:39

Viergacht

lupinealchemist wrote:

If the kid doesn't become miscarried or stillborn, I can think of a couple outcomes for Josh's seed. Best case scenario it's a miracle child like in Skinwalkers where it makes many steps forward in constructing a cure or at least make the curse more tolerable.
Worst case is that it becomes a horrid abomination like in Howling 3 that needs to be euthanized

That abomination grew up looking perfectly fine.

#68 2011-04-08 12:26:39

lupinealchemist

Viergacht wrote:

lupinealchemist wrote:

That abomination grew up looking perfectly fine.

My bad. Maybe I should watch those movies before making analogies out of what I heard and saw on the boxart.

#69 2011-04-11 02:22:23

MarkOne
Website

All day Monday, they're replaying the entire season of the show, starting with the first episode at 9AM ET and continuing on to the season finale at 9PM ET.

#70 2011-04-11 21:39:05

WolfMontana

Pretty sure it was Howling 3 on the whole that needed to be euthanized. It was an abomination in and of itself wink
(and I used to live in Australia - AUGH!)

#71 2011-04-11 22:14:36

lupinealchemist

I wonder if season 2 will focus on Josh and Nora's "special" bond or Aiden's new rise to power.

#72 2011-04-12 13:38:28

White Wolf
Website

Ok, I am depressed now... I have to wait all the way until season 2...

That said, what an AWESOME finale! I must admit that there is a part of me that is sad to see Bishop go... Ever sense Lost, I really liked that actor (whoever he is). He has such a, I don't know, "mysterious evilness" about him, which made everything quite entertaining. They had to do it though, or else it merely would have become repetitive.

We also got another look at Josh as a werewolf, a slightly "kinder" wolf, which was cool. I totally called Nora becoming a werewolf before the show I must admit, which I'm glad, because I could have also seen a scenario where they killed her off. Now that she is around for season 2, I really hope that the writers incorporate her more into the storyline and definitely, definitely, definitely show her as her wolf. That would be cool.

All in all, I head over heels love this show. Unlike so many series nowadays, they took the time to develop the characters and they skillfully did so without letting the plot get out of hand or boring the audience to sleep. Next season will likely focus more on the plot, which it should, but I believe the show is ready after having taken the time to set the stage. What a great show. All I can say is, I hope Being Human is around for a long, long time.

#73 2011-05-27 19:06:35

RedMoonstruck

White Wolf wrote:

Ok, I am depressed now... I have to wait all the way until season 2...

That said, what an AWESOME finale! I must admit that there is a part of me that is sad to see Bishop go... Ever sense Lost, I really liked that actor (whoever he is). He has such a, I don't know, "mysterious evilness" about him, which made everything quite entertaining. They had to do it though, or else it merely would have become repetitive.

We also got another look at Josh as a werewolf, a slightly "kinder" wolf, which was cool. I totally called Nora becoming a werewolf before the show I must admit, which I'm glad, because I could have also seen a scenario where they killed her off. Now that she is around for season 2, I really hope that the writers incorporate her more into the storyline and definitely, definitely, definitely show her as her wolf. That would be cool.

All in all, I head over heels love this show. Unlike so many series nowadays, they took the time to develop the characters and they skillfully did so without letting the plot get out of hand or boring the audience to sleep. Next season will likely focus more on the plot, which it should, but I believe the show is ready after having taken the time to set the stage. What a great show. All I can say is, I hope Being Human is around for a long, long time.

Just finished watching all of the American show (and the first season of the BBC version) and I have to say that I really like the US version more. I normally like the original version of these things, so I suppose that's saying something.

Anyway, I'm hoping that they actually show more of the werewolves in the next season seeing as how they only showed them what, twice? And only for a few seconds, and they didn't even really show Josh and Douglas (think that was his name) fighting all that much. They didn't even really show how the hell they got Josh out of there! I felt like I was missing half an episode. I'm sure they did that because they didn't have the funds to show it like they wanted to, and really that's my only gripe. I'm not a fan of how they did their faces, but the eyes are marvelous and I love how authentically canine they look but with that hint of intelligence. I also just adore the anatomy in the bodies and have taken a few screenshots to aid in drawing my own werewolves because I have trouble reconciling a four-footed gait using semi-human characteristics and still have it look natural and lupine. I also wish that they did make them a bit hairier though, but I'm sure, as Viergacht said, they probably did that to save processing power (and probably money too).

If they do show a female werewolf I hope that they actually make her noticeably female. I was impressed with the fact that they made Douglas and Josh so different from one another and you could actually tell them apart. Not just in their size but also in their color. Not sure about individual anatomy though as they weren't on the screen that long, but I always found it kind of annoying and unimaginative that all the werewolves look identical in most werewolf movies. I think just about the only movie I saw where you could actually tell them apart was Dog Soldiers. Oh, and Van Helsing, of course.

Last edited by RedMoonstruck (2011-05-28 02:13:58)

#74 2011-05-28 00:27:40

MarkOne
Website

A couple weeks ago, I had the chance to meet Sam Huntington, who plays Josh on the show. Here's a pic:

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb160/MarkOneNet/2010_1226cam30001.jpg

Very cool guy to meet in person.

#75 2011-05-28 02:15:09

RedMoonstruck

Very cool, Mark One! I'd be too nervous to talk to someone I recognized from t.v.. ^^;

Board footer