The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#26 2006-12-05 22:02:25

king2wolves

Re: "Blood and Chocolate" (the movie)

Here's a site with the trailer and the official site.
http://countingdown.com/movies/3893763/ … id=3920794
Personally the light transformation doesn't really bother me, not following the book does!
http://www.mgm.com/bloodandchocolate/

#27 2006-12-05 22:57:29

BlackWolfDS
The Fur-Covered Biologist

I agree!
*growls*

#28 2006-12-06 19:22:29

king2wolves

I think this might explain why they did the light transformation in the movie. If of course the writers or producers did some research on wikipedia.

Zeus Lykaios in Arcadia
The title Lykaios is morphologically connected to lyke "brightness", and yet it looks a lot like lykos "wolf". This semantic ambiguity is reflected in the strange cult of Zeus Lykaios in the backwoods of Arcadia, where the god takes on both lucent and lupine features. On the one hand, he presides over Mount Lykaion ("the bright mountain") the tallest peak in Arcadia, and home to a precinct in which, allegedly, no shadows were ever cast (Pausanias 8.3. On the other hand, he is connected with Lycaon ("the wolf-man") whose ancient cannibalism was commemorated with bizarre, recurring rites. According to Plato (Republic 565d-e), a particular clan would gather on the mountain to make a sacrifice every eight years to Zeus Lykaios, and a single morsel of human entrails would be intermingled with the animal's. Whoever ate the human flesh was said to turn into a wolf, and could only regain human form if he did not eat again of human flesh until the next eight-year cycle had ended.

#29 2006-12-19 23:26:08

Kyllein

Having read the book and been unmoved by it (too formula!) I was not surprised that the movie kept the Title and a few names, but that's about all.
Better to call it Plasma and Carob.
Once again the same crew who brought you Underworld brings you Blood and Chocolate; and once again they turn it into a costume drama with some really sappy romantic lines and some ...interesting C.G. work.
Once again the actors bellow lines that either don't belong to the scene or expound on the obvious to the point of numbness in the audience.
Instead of being in an unspecified city somewhere in the USA, it's been moved to Rome; and I don't mean Rome, New York...  They go on about a "Secret Wolf Cult"  (The Luparii were not secret, they even had their own holy day on March 10th.) whose members were all Werewolves. 
I hate to say it, after waiting for it for months; but it's Sappy!
Real Were's out there:  Don't go! you'll be embarassed!!!
Like I said: the thing isn't Blood and Chocolate; it's Plasma and Carob...bad carob, too.sad

Kyllein Faolchu' MacKellerann, Aka RedEye, Kyllein, KMacK, Faolchu' and Lupus Umbrus (NOT Shadow Wolf!)  Here's the Joke:  That's My Real Name! big_smile
Clean Scent and Clear Trail: may your hunt be fruitful!

#30 2007-01-09 19:01:31

The Busboy
Administrator

From another forum topic that was closed (since this one existed):

LoupGarouAngel wrote:

It does not follow the book exactly.If you have not read the book,it is about a teen girl named Vivian who is an outcast at both school and in her pack.She falls in love with a human boy and tries to escape her wolf side is the basic plot,won't tell you all in case you read it.Now the movie,they live in europe and are escaping from hunters,while Vivian is in europe she falls in love with the same human boy who is visiting from America and doing a comic on the Loup Garou.The movie is looking awesome in my opinion,and I think the change maybe good,guess we'll have to wait and see!

#31 2007-02-01 22:10:53

alphanubilus

Since I never read the book, I won't judge the movie by the book's standards...

Personally I did not like this movie at all. Blood and Chocolate should spell good chemistry, but this movie didn't have anything like that. It seems that the word werewolf and good movie can't go together, or just happen once upon a blue moon. As a love story it fails. Their isn't really any chemistry among the lovers... Nothing metaphorical, nothing complex... just some corny teen romance drivel that was about as exciting as watching static on the television... It is a cure for insomia really... When you look at movies such as Wolf or Company of Wolves both of which used wolves as a powerful metaphor for growing sexuality and its dangers effectively, this newer film certainly pales in comparison. The truth of the matter, I failed to really connect with any character. period...

It wasn't romantic enough to be a romance...
It wasn't graphic enough or scary enough to be horror...
It wasn't fantastic enough to be a fantasy...

No matter how you look at it... B&C fails at every turn. It was embarassing to watch at the theater. I knew I should have trusted my bad movie senses when I was purchasing the tickets... I had a nasty feeling this movie was going to suck... well yay... Gotta start trusting them senses...

As for the transformation sequences... I am not big into long winding TF scenes... As a screenwriter, I want to focus on story not feeding the TF fetishes... but honestly... Pixie rainbow skittles wolves? Sorry... eh... Taste the rainbow... Its not that this sort of metamorphysis was bad, but simply misplaced in this movie. The story did everything in its power to basterdize the werewolves as nothing more than bullies who like to hunt humans for sport and take the law into their own paws, as well as jump for apparently no reason everywhere they go. I swear if Vivian jumped against one more wall, I was going to toss popcorn at the screen. It was annoying... The movie was dark and moody... so rainbow wolves just seemed so awkward...

This sort of TF would have been more at place as a true romantic fantasy or in a movie like Pan's Laberynth, if it had werewolves that is, rather than be in this wannabe Underworld.

If you are looking for a werewolf romance... pick up Wolf or Company of Wolves... forget Chocolate... chocolate is bad for werewolves anyway. tongue

#32 2007-02-01 22:41:56

ArcLight
Website

Well...in general I didn't think it was as bad as you did, but this bit caught my eye:

alphanubilus wrote:

The story did everything in its power to basterdize the werewolves as nothing more than bullies who like to hunt humans for sport and take the law into their own paws, as well as jump for apparently no reason everywhere they go. I swear if Vivian jumped against one more wall, I was going to toss popcorn at the screen. It was annoying...

I liked the idea of throwing some freerunners in to show them as fast an agile in their human forms, but yeah - what was with her just planting a foot on a wall every once in awhile. Should've left it out or done it better.

"How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."
"Werewolves are BAD ASS." - Dean Winchester
Buckaroo Banzai - Highlander - Kolchak - Buffy - Doc Savage
http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant

#33 2007-02-02 22:03:06

WolfMontana

alphanubilus wrote:

Pixie rainbow skittles wolves? Sorry... eh... Taste the rainbow...

o.O lol lol lol lol lol

*gasps for breath*

lol lol lol  oooh my god, that was brilliant big_smile

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#34 2007-02-04 21:28:30

Dedwyre
Website

I finally saw it today.  I liked it.  I went in thinking that I would come out trying to justify spending the $7, and being unable to (ala "Bloodrayne").  I sat there waiting for something to come along to make me hate it.  Never happened.  I liked it, and I will probably buy the DVD.

"Oh yeah, yeah, I know all about werewolves.  [Titanium] stakes, magic holy earplugs, I saw Howling 2."

http://dedwyre.deviantart.com

#35 2007-02-04 22:46:16

LoupGarouAngel
Website

I give you kudos on your article alphanubilus,I would still like to see it but I agree on not liking movies in which you do not get a connection with the characters.I see this in many horror movies,I liked Hostel cause you were rooting for the guy and such but any other horror movies...Nothin'.I would see it just because of the werewolfness,I see any werewolf movie even if it does suck so I waste money all the same.

"You're like one of those lab rats that hits the pleasure button instead of the food until it dies!" Sam-Houses of the Holy.
"Dude, you Fugly." Dean-Scarecrow.
A therian who's a wanna be screenwriter, but doesn't have a life story that fits the bill...
http://loupgarouangel.deviantart.com/

#36 2007-02-05 18:44:39

alphanubilus

Well Dedwyre, watching slugs race is more appealing than watching any movie Uwe Bol creates, so even B&C would be Oscar winning material compared to his movies... tongue The scary thing is they are making a Bloodrayne 2...Krinstina Lokin has intelligently turned down a second helping of being the fatale vamp hybrid. Smart move...

When I go see a movie, no matter the genre, I want to be entertained. I watch a wide variety of films, and I carry a wide variety of tastes. As a screenwriter story is key no matter how high or low budgetted the movie is. When it comes down to it, it isn't the special effects that ultimately sell a movie, its the story. If people can't connect with the characters then it is lost.

My issues with Blood and Chocolate come down to the fact that you have a forbidden relationship that you simply don't understand why it is forbidden... Yeah I get the whole Werewolves don't trust humans thing, but in the context of the story, Gabriel's purpose as well as Vivian's is NEVER explained. So in the end, other than "Because I said it is wrong!" you never really see why Gabriel is so crazed to wed Vivian, nor why her relationship with Aiden is completely out of the question. After all these werewolves interact in the human world all the time, such relationships are bound to happen. This is the same exact reason I couldn't connect with the love story between Padme and Anakin Skywalker in the failed romance that is Episode Boo... er Two... Anakin says that it is forbidden, and that it is.

What made Romeo and Juliet a tragic romance was that their families were at war with each other. They were mortal enemies by birth, but overcame their differences and fell in love, of which sealed their destiny.

You get no such feeling in Blood and Chocolate. Aiden isn't a werewolf hunter... Aiden isn't a werewolf hater... Aiden doesn't belong to some anti-werewolf clan out to rid the world of the wuffer kind. Aiden is an artist... a werewolf loving artist... writing about werewolves... as the movie suggests. Right then and there... boom... no complications...

How cool wouldn't have been had he and Vi fallen in love with each other, only for Vi to find out that the real reason he was there was to unearth the secret werewolf society... Oooo Oooo a moving exciting story, and not a pre-teen melodrama more suited for the likes of sci-fi channel cheese than a full box office launch.

Getting a bit deeper with the transformation sequences. Ultimately I've never been too big on transformation sequences, simply because if they are too long, while cool to look at, make absolutely no sense in the context of the story. As Joe Dante wrote when creating Howling... He had this nearly two minute TF sequence in which a young woman watches in horror as this guy (Eddie) TF's in front of her. It made no sense, for any logical human would have sprint out the door and been far enough away to get help.

An American Werewolf in London's TF worked simply because you had, at some point, connect the boyish David Kessler with the overtly cannine Kessler Werewolf. It was a huge leap from two-legged man to a foul-legged wolf... It was also freakishly entertaining at the same time...

I still feel the movie Wolf, of which was vying to be different, certainly lacked a final TF, even if it occured off screen, to only reveal a full wolf Will to Michaelle Phiffer. It could have used a small one at least...

However, transformation sequences, no matter how beautiful to horrific, should help reflect the context of the story. B&C's TFs were completely out of place... Beautiful multicolored princess of power TF's as they march in determined consentration to maul a hapless loser of a man, is out of place. The whole transformation seemed awkward and out of place, rather than to help you as the viewer connect each human to each wolf. In fact... other than Vi's you really never could tell what wolf was who. It is like they didn't care enough to make sure you could distinguish who from who. Oh well...

#37 2007-02-05 23:15:23

LoupGarouAngel
Website

Your a screenwriter?I am intrested in possibly taking that path for a career,can you tell me a little bit more about it?If you don't mind me asking that is.

"You're like one of those lab rats that hits the pleasure button instead of the food until it dies!" Sam-Houses of the Holy.
A therian who's a wanna be screenwriter, but doesn't have a life story that fits the bill...

#38 2007-02-06 09:14:11

alphanubilus

LoupGarouAngel wrote:

Your a screenwriter?I am intrested in possibly taking that path for a career,can you tell me a little bit more about it?If you don't mind me asking that is.

Sure...

If you are interested in the craft that is screenwriting, you might want to pick up Skip Press' "Idiots Guide to Screenwriting." Skip is a friend of mine, and his book is a really great tool to introduce you to the world of screenwriting, its history, and methodology. It is great because, he is an awesome writer, as well as the book isn't boring. It is also cheap, in comparison to the others out there, being, if I remember correctly, $19.99 or something like that... maybe $21.99, at any rate it is a bargain.

Typically for the actual writing process I use Movie Magic Screenwriter, since it formats your script for you, so all you have to do is focus on the writing, and not page settings. I tried using MS Word, but honestly once you poney up and buy a screenwriting program, you will never want to look back again.

As far as getting started goes... Well like I said, get Skip's book. It is a great start. Read a lot of scripts... PROFESSIONAL scripts that is... You can find bunches of them to download from off the web... Reading scripts will sort of give you an idea of what to write and not to write in a movie script.

That is at least the first steps...

#39 2007-02-06 10:24:00

LoupGarouAngel
Website

*Takes notes*
And after you have a script finished,how do you go about finding a producer and such?I know this is really really far ahead,but i'm just curious?

#40 2007-02-06 10:35:44

alphanubilus

LoupGarouAngel wrote:

*Takes notes*
And after you have a script finished,how do you go about finding a producer and such?I know this is really really far ahead,but i'm just curious?

Once you have finished a script, had it edited and all that jaz, you first find an agent. You can find a list of WGA signatory agents at www.wga.org. It IS important that you use one of their agencies listed, simply because any agency that is a WGA signatory has to run their agency under the strict WGA guidelines, meaning they won't have any hidden fees and such. It takes a lot of work, prayer, and a tad bit of luck to lure an agent, especially since they won't get paid until you do.

The Agent acts as your go between, since most producers, directors, studios will not even look at a script that is sent to them unsolisited (Un asked for).

Another step is to enter your script into competitions. There are quite a few out there. Screenwrite Expo is a pretty large one. Competitions are good becuase if you win, you immediately have the attention of major producers and agents... or heck even if you're a finalist.

Another way to meet a producer is to simply keep your eyes open. I live in Oklahoma, and I still find it amazing that I've met some pretty remarkable people, just by looking around. You might even try hooking up with local film makers. The truth is... you never know who you might meet, who might have connections. Ask around...

#41 2007-02-06 10:44:35

LoupGarouAngel
Website

Thank you so very much for your advice,it is greatly apperciated!!

#42 2007-03-14 23:31:02

ArcLight
Website

I finally read the book. It wasn't bad at all. A lot different from the movie. Kind of like "The Howling" book versus movie in that I think if they'd changed the title and the character names, most people wouldn't connect the two.

"How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."
"Werewolves are BAD ASS." - Dean Winchester
Buckaroo Banzai - Highlander - Kolchak - Buffy - Doc Savage
http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant

#43 2007-03-26 18:23:47

The Busboy
Administrator

This movie will be out on DVD on June 12, 2007:
http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Chocolate-A … amp;sr=1-2

#44 2007-03-26 20:47:25

LoupGarouAngel
Website

*Jaw drops*
I have to wait that Long?!

#45 2007-04-18 23:48:20

Feraluna

I never read the book, though I plan to. I have heard it's very different from the movie, in which case I'm annoyed because I would like for movies based on books to maybe FOLLOW the book. But eh, I still enjoyed it for what it was,  and really didn't expect much more just based on the commercials. It was kinda b-movie feeling from the go. I'll be adding to my collection when it's on DVD.

#46 2007-06-14 17:55:40

The Busboy
Administrator

This movie is now out on DVD.

#47 2007-06-16 15:46:30

Confused Wolf
Queen of the Zombies!
Website

Cool, thanks for the reminder BB.  I'll have to get it since I didn't get to see it in the theater.

My pet zombies hate your guts, but love your brains! big_smile

#48 2007-06-21 13:23:40

LoupGarouAngel
Website

I rented last night and thought it was alright,but a few things could have been different.I thought they rushed the story,just wanted to jam everything in,also they could have given you more depth to the character so you felt for them a little more.I did like the transformation because if there is one thing that usually slaughters a werewolf movie,it's a bad trans.Also the fact that they used wolves was really cool because you weren't distracted by a huge ugly costume.The acting was average,I would have liked to have seen a little more emotion by Vivian.To those who have read the book,it is nothing like it,they only use the names and title,other wise,nada.

#49 2007-06-21 19:15:42

The Busboy
Administrator

Thank you for your posting LoupGarouAngel, I got the DVD in the mail this week, so I'll check it out this weekend.

#50 2007-06-22 18:41:13

Dedwyre
Website

alphanubilus wrote:

Well Dedwyre, watching slugs race is more appealing than watching any movie Uwe Bol creates, so even B&C would be Oscar winning material compared to his movies... tongue The scary thing is they are making a Bloodrayne 2...Krinstina Lokin has intelligently turned down a second helping of being the fatale vamp hybrid. Smart move...

Good for her.  Hope "Painkiller Jane" works out, even though I've never watched it.

When I go see a movie, no matter the genre, I want to be entertained. I watch a wide variety of films, and I carry a wide variety of tastes. As a screenwriter story is key no matter how high or low budgeted the movie is. When it comes down to it, it isn't the special effects that ultimately sell a movie, its the story. If people can't connect with the characters then it is lost.

My issues with Blood and Chocolate come down to the fact that you have a forbidden relationship that you simply don't understand why it is forbidden... Yeah I get the whole Werewolves don't trust humans thing, but in the context of the story, Gabriel's purpose as well as Vivian's is NEVER explained. So in the end, other than "Because I said it is wrong!" you never really see why Gabriel is so crazed to wed Vivian, nor why her relationship with Aiden is completely out of the question. After all these werewolves interact in the human world all the time, such relationships are bound to happen. This is the same exact reason I couldn't connect with the love story between Padme and Anakin Skywalker in the failed romance that is Episode Boo... er Two... Anakin says that it is forbidden, and that it is.

That's a good point.  I never thought about it while watching the movie; I just remembered that he was in the book and attributed it to that.  (As for the Star Wars thing, I just figured they were forbidden because having a girlfriend would be too distracting for a Jedi, similar to why Catholic priests aren't allowed to wed.)

What made Romeo and Juliet a tragic romance was that their families were at war with each other. They were mortal enemies by birth, but overcame their differences and fell in love, of which sealed their destiny.

You get no such feeling in Blood and Chocolate. Aiden isn't a werewolf hunter... Aiden isn't a werewolf hater... Aiden doesn't belong to some anti-werewolf clan out to rid the world of the wuffer kind. Aiden is an artist... a werewolf loving artist... writing about werewolves... as the movie suggests. Right then and there... boom... no complications...

How cool wouldn't have been had he and Vi fallen in love with each other, only for Vi to find out that the real reason he was there was to unearth the secret werewolf society... Oooo Oooo a moving exciting story, and not a pre-teen melodrama more suited for the likes of sci-fi channel cheese than a full box office launch.

That sounds like a good movie.  Someone should make it, even if its just a straight-to-DVD animated movie.  Those can be good.  But I doubt it ever came to the creator(s)'s mind(s).  And they were probably going for the teen melodrama, because teens are the book's demographic.

Getting a bit deeper with the transformation sequences. Ultimately I've never been too big on transformation sequences, simply because if they are too long, while cool to look at, make absolutely no sense in the context of the story. As Joe Dante wrote when creating Howling... He had this nearly two minute TF sequence in which a young woman watches in horror as this guy (Eddie) TF's in front of her. It made no sense, for any logical human would have sprint out the door and been far enough away to get help.

AMEN!  Someone agrees with me.

An American Werewolf in London's TF worked simply because you had, at some point, connect the boyish David Kessler with the overtly canine Kessler Werewolf. It was a huge leap from two-legged man to a foul-legged wolf... It was also freakishly entertaining at the same time...

And David was alone at the time, so it wasn't like someone had the chance to get away.

I still feel the movie Wolf, of which was vying to be different, certainly lacked a final TF, even if it occured off screen, to only reveal a full wolf Will to Michelle Phiffer. It could have used a small one at least...

However, transformation sequences, no matter how beautiful to horrific, should help reflect the context of the story. B&C's TFs were completely out of place... Beautiful multicolored princess of power TF's as they march in determined concentration to maul a hapless loser of a man, is out of place. The whole transformation seemed awkward and out of place, rather than to help you as the viewer connect each human to each wolf. In fact... other than Vi's you really never could tell what wolf was who. It is like they didn't care enough to make sure you could distinguish who from who. Oh well...

Princess of Power?  I don't know what that means.  I don't think the transformations had anything to do with the fact that you couldn't tell one wolf from the other.  They actually tried to make them specific colors, but I forgot anyway.  I usually forget half the characters' names, though, so...

An AWWIL transformation would have been out of place, because it would have taken too long.  They needed something that could make them change as they ran.  Rainbows weren't the best idea, but there's nothing we can do about that now.

"Oh yeah, yeah, I know all about werewolves.  [Titanium] stakes, magic holy earplugs, I saw Howling 2."

http://dedwyre.deviantart.com

Board footer