The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-06 18:01:48

fearless freak

Danny Boyle to Direct LA Werewolf Adaptation 'Sharp Teeth'?

Bloody-Disusting writes: As Danny Boyle’s new stage production of "Frankenstein" goes into previews at London’s National Theatre, his Oscar-nominated screenwriting collaborator Simon Beaufoy (Slumdog Millionaire, 127 Hours) is working on a film project set in gangland Los Angeles.

It’s a venture called Sharp Teeth, and Beaufoy is hoping that Danny Boyle will jump onboard. He says: "If I write it well enough, he’ll direct it," he told the BBC. "It's an adaptation of a book by a writer called Toby Barlow (take a look inside) and it’s a very extraordinary mix of gangland Los Angeles, really, really rough — a lot of shootings — and the difference with this particular piece of work is that these gangs can shape-shift at will into packs of dogs."

The BBC adds that Beaufoy has been researching his screenplay by riding along with the Los Angeles police.

"An ancient race of lycanthropes has survived to the present day, and its numbers are growing as the initiated convince L.A.'s down and out to join their pack. Paying no heed to moons, full or otherwise, they change from human to canine at will—and they're bent on domination at any cost.

Caught in the middle are Anthony, a kind-hearted, besotted dogcatcher, and the girl he loves, a female werewolf who has abandoned her pack. Anthony has no idea that she's more than she seems, and she wants to keep it that way. But her efforts to protect her secret lead to murderous results.

Blending dark humor and epic themes with card-playing dogs, crystal meth labs, surfing, and carne asada tacos, Sharp Teeth captures the pace and feel of a graphic novel while remaining "as ambitious as any literary novel, because underneath all that fur, it's about identity, community, love, death, and all the things we want our books to be about" [Nick Hornby, The Believer]."

if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

#2 2011-02-07 09:23:18

zockereinstein

Re: Danny Boyle to Direct LA Werewolf Adaptation 'Sharp Teeth'?

It seems to be a blend of the worst modern-werewolf cliches. So, more poof-at-will cheap CGI TFs, guns, your typical female werewolf fleeing from the pack, the good boy, and so on. And worst of all, they disconnect to the "moon thing", and they try to sell it as a cool innovation. WTF????

#3 2011-02-07 22:25:41

SouthPaw

The summary above reads like the LA version of Blood and Chocolate.  I haven't touched the book though.

Last edited by SouthPaw (2011-02-07 22:30:52)

#4 2011-02-08 01:29:39

Moonlit Hunter

I started to read the book quite a while ago (maybe two years or more ago). Got about half way through it and quit. It just wasn't that wel-written. It was formatted in a "poetry" type style, and a lot of it just made no sense whatsoever. I could barely follow the storyline in the first place, and what little I did follow was not interesting enough for me to pay attention to it.

I'm really not into the whole "gangland" genre either, but I'll probably go see this if it does come out in a movie. Not becuase I think it is cool or anything. Just because I like to see whatever werewolf films there are.

Board footer