The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-27 20:22:25

EmberWolf

hunting instincts...how far is too far?

Anyone ever get the feeling that their "wolf brain" (a term people on this forum seem to use) gets a little too enthusiastic when it comes to thoughts of the hunt?  I find myself sort of yearning for the whole process sometimes.  The tracking, the stalking, the chase and the...catch, that part of me wants it all.  I mean from the wolf's perspective the hunt would be one if not the biggest highlight of their life, so I understand that side of me having powerful urges.  I suppose keeping those kinds of urges under control should be something I have already taken care of, but I must admit I've just recently learned that there is a term for the way I am, and that there are other people who feel the same way, so its fair to say I'm new to this community.  Anyway I guess I'm looking for some advice on, shall we say, leveling out these aggressive feelings.  Thanks for any and all of your input!

#2 2011-02-28 00:32:20

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

Re: hunting instincts...how far is too far?

Sure. We all have urges, and that's an understandable one.

ohBtw, I've never seen 'wolf brain' used once. Ever.

<3

#3 2011-02-28 02:01:29

Moonlit Hunter

Keep in mind that humans also have predatory urges, and there are a large number of non-therians that hunt for sport and such. The thrill of stalking, tracking, and finally the rush of the kill... humans know these things instinctively. Anyone could get carried away by it, not just therians. Self-control is a must in civilized society.

#4 2011-02-28 06:29:13

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Moonlit Hunter wrote:

Keep in mind that humans also have predatory urges, and there are a large number of non-therians that hunt for sport and such. The thrill of stalking, tracking, and finally the rush of the kill... humans know these things instinctively. Anyone could get carried away by it, not just therians. Self-control is a must in civilized society.

This, all over, with cherries on top.

Welcome to the forum. I can't say I particularly experience your intense hunting urges, I think wolf-wise I'm less hunt-happy. But that's an 'each to their own' thing. I'm still human and don't particularly like the thought of a deer corpse with gore everywhere. Some people experience being a wolf as being their aggressive side, and it sounds like you do too.

In terms of how far is too far, I think actually trying to kill anything with your bare hands and teeth is probably too far. Or taking off after a rabbit when you're amidst company or some such. Things like that can get you locked up.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#5 2011-02-28 11:04:07

EmberWolf

Thank you guys for such quick responses, it seems that good old fashion self control is the ticket, I guess there is no trick to it after all.

#6 2011-02-28 11:23:53

thewerepanther
night crawler of the ice

once i stoppted from a shift with a rabit in my hands

the frozen were froze by me
by basts side i fight set and any demons who opsse us
私の中でパンサー。だけでなく、任意の獣類誇りリーダー

#7 2011-02-28 17:35:14

WolfVanZandt
Website

It's according to how it's expressed.

It's precisely those predatory instincts that make herding dogs the best friends cattle ever had.

#8 2011-02-28 22:07:32

EmberWolf

I'm intrigued WolfVanZandt, I think I understand but I'm not entirely sure.  How can these instincts be useful to me in everyday type situations?  I don't really feel like I'm lacking anything in my day to day life that this aggression would compensate for, its just there.  In all honesty I'm beginning to wonder if I've just been cooped up too long, it's been a long winter here, and I'm pretty active and especially connected to nature.  Thing is they are specifically predatory, they haven't been like this since I was much younger.

#9 2011-03-01 12:54:08

thewerepanther
night crawler of the ice

useally i dont hunt why shifting

#10 2011-03-01 18:11:38

WolfVanZandt
Website

Any energy can be redirected into more creative channels. I feel like I'm tracking prey while I'm following a car and it heightens my attention. Predatory instincts can easily be transformed into protective instincts.

#11 2011-03-05 17:50:29

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

WolfVanZandt wrote:

Any energy can be redirected into more creative channels. I feel like I'm tracking prey while I'm following a car and it heightens my attention. Predatory instincts can easily be transformed into protective instincts.

This is pretty much the way to turn therianthropy into an advantage: utilize it for purposes which non-therians cannot.  I'm betting that this was easier for pre-modern-era therians, who could use their animal side in a "less civilized" world.

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#12 2011-03-06 06:19:45

thewerepanther
night crawler of the ice

too far is eating a rabbit

#13 2011-03-06 06:51:30

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

thewerepanther wrote:

too far is eating a rabbit

If you've caught it you might as well not waste it, though tongue

#14 2011-03-06 20:38:36

EmberWolf

SherlawkDragon wrote:

I'm betting that this was easier for pre-modern-era therians, who could use their animal side in a "less civilized" world.

thats my biggest problem right now, translating it into something useful in this day and age.  It doesn't seem quite fair that I should but...I understand why it needs to be done, now I just need to work on how I suppose.

#15 2011-03-07 17:45:03

WolfVanZandt
Website

Oh, I don't know. Creativity can be fun....

#16 2011-03-08 00:08:16

EmberWolf

No doubt, but how far can creativity take you before your humanity starts suppressing the wolf?  I'm sorry, I realize you are a lot more used to this balancing act than I am, but from my perspective it seems like we're talking about empowering our human side and manipulating our animalistic side to subdue it.

#17 2011-03-08 14:42:53

thewerepanther
night crawler of the ice

or panther or bagder or sevrval you get the idea

#18 2011-03-08 18:33:27

WolfVanZandt
Website

No, I know better than to try suppressing my therianside. I've seen too many people really messed up by that. Rechanneling energies is very pointedly not suppressing. "Suppressing" means holding things in - rechanneling means letting them out the way you want them to come out.

#19 2011-03-08 18:54:51

lupinealchemist

WolfVanZandt wrote:

No, I know better than to try suppressing my therianside. I've seen too many people really messed up by that. Rechanneling energies is very pointedly not suppressing. "Suppressing" means holding things in - rechanneling means letting them out the way you want them to come out.

^This a thousand times over.

#20 2011-03-08 21:21:56

EmberWolf

Ahhh, I see...I think I'm finally getting the picture now.  So how do you guys commonly rechannel?

#21 2011-03-09 17:30:35

WolfVanZandt
Website

That's not the easiest thing in the world to explain. When I feel aggressive toward someone, I refocus the aggression on a problem. For instance, crowds drive me crazy but, if I have a job to do, I can focus on the job instead of the people.  The thing that you're rechanneling is energy. It really doesn't matter what you do with it. The reason it's usually seen to be toward a certain person/place/event is that it was triggered by that person/place/event. There's no law that says you have to spend the energy on that particular thing.

#22 2011-03-10 06:47:50

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

WolfVanZandt wrote:

Yeah, I have an unfortunate suppressing habit. None of my family or close friends know about my therianthropy and I try to keep it as tucked away as possible, mostly because I'm from Britain - we just don't 'do' things like that. Sometimes it takes me weeks to find out that I keep getting headaches or feeling generally depressed because I've been trying to suppress the animal side too much.

#23 2011-03-18 19:09:09

EmberWolf

An update for anyone who's interested:  I've worked on it and finally today had a breakthrough.  I've come to the conclusion that my urges were stemming from the lack of a goal in my life, in fact there was next to nothing going on in my life at all at that time.  See I'm a very goal oriented person, I need projects to work on or goals to achieve to feel normal.  Also I was suppressing and misunderstanding my therian side, trying to ignore it the whole time, I was very out of balance.  The way I see it is I kinda felt like a dog locked in a room alone, and what happens when ya do that?  It gets restless, feels ignored and wrecks the place.  So anyways I've got goals to keep me busy again, and I understand myself a little more now so I feel much more balanced.  So a resounding thanks to everyone who posted, it really helped!

#24 2011-03-18 22:10:16

CassieRose
Website

ShadyHowl wrote:

WolfVanZandt wrote:

Yeah, I have an unfortunate suppressing habit. None of my family or close friends know about my therianthropy and I try to keep it as tucked away as possible, mostly because I'm from Britain - we just don't 'do' things like that. Sometimes it takes me weeks to find out that I keep getting headaches or feeling generally depressed because I've been trying to suppress the animal side too much.

Same here, I'm usually miserable and out of it when I suppress my therian side smile

#25 2011-03-21 05:09:35

Edwin'sCorner

i've started to accept it finally, it's super awesome because,,,idk, it's like this flame in the middle of my chest that i have to engage and stretch and expand regularly..that's about how i can explain it. it's so awesome it sends my hairs on end and i ttly tense up smile it's great, idk, but i dont hunt.. i may run through the trails on campus a lot, but i don't hunt, i guess because i excercise my wolf more than i keep it "locked away"

"The stars in the night they lend me their light to bring me closer to heaven with you" - "Gunslinger" Avenged Sevenfold

Board footer