The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-30 10:15:16

White Wolf
Dreamer of the East [Moderator]
Website

Therianthropy... How Public?

How public/private do you think the therian community as a whole, and your personal therianthropy should be? Do you feel that you should be really open with your therianthropy and tell/talk about it with others in real life? Are you only open about it on the internet? Or do you feel like it should be something that you keep close to yourself and only talk about with close friends?

Nos totus take diversus semita ut a similis fortuna per sapientia, vires, quod fides in divinus nostrum maioribus socius.

#2 2011-03-30 10:22:41

lupinealchemist

Re: Therianthropy... How Public?

You should probably be careful who you tell, lest you find psychiatric encounters entertaining. hmm

#3 2011-03-30 12:52:43

thewerepanther
night crawler of the ice

i only talk about it with 2 freinds who are also therians

the frozen were froze by me
by basts side i fight set and any demons who opsse us
私の中でパンサー。だけでなく、任意の獣類誇りリーダー

#4 2011-03-30 16:20:39

WolfVanZandt
Website

I'm in a position where I can be open - which also places me in an advantageous position to be an advocate for the Therian community - so I do. There's certainly things that shouldn't be discussed in public - in much the same way that it would be socially unacceptable to discuss your masturbatory habits in public. And therianthropy should be presented in a way that would optimize others' ability to understand and, maybe, accept what's being said.

Like everything else, the way it's presented is important.

#5 2011-03-30 19:58:28

Randomwolf42
Random Wolf [Moderator]
Website

WolfVanZandt wrote:

Like everything else, the way it's presented is important.

^this. Like, if you walk up to random people and go "hurr durr, I'm a werewolf" with no explanation, you aren't likely to be taken seriously, but if you take the time to explain it, people are more likely to be receptive of the idea.

#6 2011-04-02 03:45:31

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

WolfVanZandt wrote:

There's certainly things that shouldn't be discussed in public - in much the same way that it would be socially unacceptable to discuss your masturbatory habits in public.

Wait... What?  That's perfectly acceptable.  In fact, just the other day I was in a restaurant explaining to someone what I do with the poker chips and rubber bands... That's not "appropriate conversation"?  I also wrote a couple songs about it and insist on playing them often...  Oh well...

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#7 2011-04-04 03:00:18

chas

I think it should be taken quite personal, and discussed with those you are intimate and trust.  I'm Druid, and believe me, I have encountered many situations, from insults to death threats.  Even losing a job. You would think as progressive a nation as we are, there are so many things, topics, and ideas, that so many consider to be taboo.  I hate the idea of "closeting" who and what people are, but, unfortunately we must realize that, in all generality, society isn't ready for the advancement of its mind and heart.  I do believe one day, the acceptance of all beings, but for now, only the Gods know.   Hugs to you all

#8 2011-04-04 15:17:00

CassieRose
Website

I'm open about it to a certain degree, actually I'm writing a poem about Therianthropy for English class. Like if someone asked a serious question about it I would be willing to answer. Agreeing with  Scifi and VandZandt, like if I just went up to the class and wrote a poem about how I'm a wolf, they wouldn't take me seriously and treat me like this psycho girl in my class (she thinks she's a dragon, like, in a wierd way...). But I'm getting to the point where I'm pretty much open about everything.
I think if you're comfortable with talking about it, then be open. If you find discussing the situation akward, then don't be open about it smile

#9 2011-09-22 21:14:32

nicgirl423
Website

I only say on here and to 3 - 4 friends one is not my friend and wish her away. And Cassie rose i am sort of like that when i first told them they were like no ur not then i was giving details then they like ohhhh

Last edited by nicgirl423 (2011-09-22 21:15:30)

Feisty Free and a Were,
Half blooded is better.

#10 2011-09-22 23:59:42

Badseed_666

I keep it very hush hush. There are wanna be therians out there that have a habit of blabbering about it and others that they think/know are therians, which we all know leads to conversations with psychiatric douche bags that think it's insanity and not reality.

Last edited by Badseed_666 (2011-09-23 00:00:11)

"I will not bow, I will not brake"~Breaking Benjamin
"We are luminous beings, not this crude matter"~Master Yoda
"Trust not your eyes, they deceive you"~Master Obi-Wan Kenobi

#11 2012-02-20 13:48:20

KaraWolfDragon
Website

I am pretty open about Therianthropy over the internet, since I really see no real danger in openly saying "F*ck yeah, I'm reincarnated from a wolf!!" on a random site. There is a roleplay site I go to and they know about me being a therian and most who are active on the site are okay with it. I am often called "pup" since I'm younger than pretty much everyone on there. I am even friends with some wiccans/pagans on magick sites, and I actually practice magick a little. I see nothing wrong with being open about who you are over the internet. It's not like people from the government are going to track you down since you have a logical explaination to how you are actually a werewolf. No one cares about tracking you down to help you or kill you, or they just can't.

The feeling of being a therian cannot be described in words. It's not just a label so we an find somewhere to fit in, it is who we are, who we have always been, and who we always will be. No one can change me, this is who I am. For more than ever.

#12 2012-02-20 22:50:20

Void161

There's only one person who knows what I am. It's an ex girlfriend of mine who expressed serious interest in this world. I told her in complete confidence, although she still doesn't quite understand what it's like...

I don't think anyone will ever fully understand, if they aren't one.

#13 2012-02-20 23:14:52

AlphaGammaWolfie

I think it is a sort of a taboo. People are afraid of the unknown and things that they cannot explain. If you do not fit into societies social norm, then you are considered "taboo" to a degree. Depending on the comfort level and the degree of thinking and the thickness of your skin (so to speak) then that determines weather or not you should bring it up. I like to keep a open mind to things but even I am criticized for doing so.

Cut time: When everyone plays twice as fast as you.

#14 2012-02-24 09:46:08

KaraWolfDragon
Website

Yes, that's pretty much how humans are. They don't like what they can't understand, and they don't want to understand due to what they've seen in movies. They don't even try to understand. I personally hate humans, they call us monsters, but they've never really looked in the mirror.

The feeling of being a therian cannot be described in words. It's not just a label so we an find somewhere to fit in, it is who we are, who we have always been, and who we always will be. No one can change me, this is who I am. For more than ever.

#15 2012-02-24 16:58:31

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

KaraWolfDragon wrote:

Yes, that's pretty much how humans are. They don't like what they can't understand, and they don't want to understand due to what they've seen in movies. They don't even try to understand. I personally hate humans, they call us monsters, but they've never really looked in the mirror.

*facepalm* Perhaps its you that should look in the mirror if you're distinguishing yourself from 'humans'. It's 'therians' and 'non-therians' or 'mainstreamers' but we're still human. BTW, I don't know of any non-therians who think therians are 'monsters'. At worst they usually think we're weird and/or insane.

Forgive me but I don't want to be lumped into a category with people who don't even consider themselves biologically human. You are not SO DIFFRUNT, and if you think you are, perhaps go and angst in the RP forum?

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#16 2012-02-25 19:19:31

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

ShadyHowl wrote:

KaraWolfDragon wrote:

*facepalm* Perhaps its you that should look in the mirror if you're distinguishing yourself from 'humans'. It's 'therians' and 'non-therians' or 'mainstreamers' but we're still human. BTW, I don't know of any non-therians who think therians are 'monsters'. At worst they usually think we're weird and/or insane.

In short,
http://chan.chloe-grace-moretz.com/Chloe/src/132100545287.jpg

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#17 2012-02-26 14:17:29

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

SherlawkDragon wrote:

ShadyHowl wrote:

KaraWolfDragon wrote:

In short,
http://chan.chloe-grace-moretz.com/Chlo … 545287.jpg

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/3/26/srslystfu128510662103906250.jpg

Board flooded with pointless trollsense. Do not want.

Last edited by ShadyHowl (2012-02-26 14:18:25)

#18 2012-02-26 18:17:06

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Somnia wrote:

I wouldn't walk up to a total stranger and say "Hey how ya doing? By the way, I'm a Therian!" More than likely they wouldn't even know what I was talking about at all.

Well duh, that's kinda the case with everything.  If you keep insisting on weird things to people you don't know then they're gonna know you as the guy who insists on weird things to people they don't know, and then they'll associate those weird things with people who do that.  That's what happened to Furries and Bronies: a few of them couldn't keep their weirdness to themselves and started shouting it from the rooftops, and next thing you know, everyone associated the group as a whole with the wacky ones.  Same thing applies to therianthropy, it's ok to tell people, but there has to be a level of understanding first.

Edit:

ShadyHowl wrote:

But these images are so good at doing the talking for me!  Besides, you're the one who said we needed more images, remember?
I, personally, am enjoying our new image-meme overlords...

Last edited by SherlawkDragon (2012-02-26 18:19:27)

#19 2012-02-27 11:11:11

KaraWolfDragon
Website

ShadyHowl wrote:

KaraWolfDragon wrote:

Forgive me but I don't want to be lumped into a category with people who don't even consider themselves biologically human. You are not SO DIFFRUNT, and if you think you are, perhaps go and angst in the RP forum?

I mean how Hollywood made werewolves look, and since therians are basically "werewolves", people sometimes think of us as "monsters". And yes I feel I am not a human, I know I have human blood and a human body but does that make me truly human? Sorry, my pack and other therian friends are kind of against humans because they don't want to understand us and they destroy the planet. I make a lot of mistakes, get used to it. tongue I'm still a pup. >.>

#20 2012-02-27 12:31:56

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

KaraWolfDragon wrote:

Sorry, my pack and other therian friends are kind of against humans because they don't want to understand us and they destroy the planet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTg5Ldqm … re=related

Why doesn't this forum enable embedding? >sad

Last edited by ShadyHowl (2012-02-27 12:33:20)

#21 2012-02-27 13:32:30

KaraWolfDragon
Website

I can't get on Youtube...

#22 2012-02-29 03:50:47

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

KaraWolfDragon wrote:

Sorry, my pack and other therian friends are kind of against humans because they don't want to understand us and they destroy the planet.

I'm sorry, you're probably serious, but all I can think of is "World of Darkness: Changing Breeds" when you say this.  You might turning down the angst-o-matic for a second?

ShadyHowl wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTg5Ldqm8ME&feature=related

Ah yes, MAN, the worst evil known to cartoon-animaldom!  You can't trust ANYONE who wears pants!

#23 2012-04-25 07:47:38

WerewolfLeaAnn

I am pretty open about it, most of my friends know. As WZV said, it's about presentation. I generally present it in a scientific, no-nonsense manner and in a way they understand it. I have only had one time when I almost ended up at a psychiatrist, but then again that woman was ... well let us not go into such. heh.

Another thing I've ran into is radical groups of certain religious beliefs. (notice the word 'radical'?) Those are, most of the time, the ones who go and make those death threats. But, they're also easily dispatched as well. *shrugs*

In the end, if people ask me directly about such things, I answer honestly, and directly.

And... I am one who doesn't consider herself human, but I base everything off spirituality, and not physical matters. Physically, yeah I am human, spiritually I am not. But, seriously hatred and agnst towards non-therianss? Here's the thing Kara, EVERYBODY is guilty of destroying the planet at some point in time, everybody is guilty of judging that which they do not understand. You have done it in your past, you are no better then those you call 'humans'.  Just because spirituality you are a wolf, DOESN'T mean you are BETTER then humans. You are no less, or no more greater then they are. It is simply a state of being, what are you, and a piece of who you are. By hating humans, you are doing the exact same thing they are, and they know no better, you do.

ShadyHowl wrote:

SherlawkDragon wrote:

ShadyHowl wrote:

In short,
http://chan.chloe-grace-moretz.com/Chlo … 545287.jpg

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/co … 906250.jpg

Shady, ever notice his title? *submarine troll*? It's his warning: if you don't want to be trolled, ignore him.

Last edited by WerewolfLeaAnn (2012-04-25 07:59:09)

"I feel the Change, back to a better day, the hair stands on the back of my neck, wildness is the preservation of the world, so seek the wolf in thyself!"- Metallica, "of wolf and man"

#24 2012-04-28 15:27:10

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

I haven't been trolled. He was flooding the board with silliness. I complained. That's all.

#25 2012-05-04 01:40:22

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Yeah... LeaAnn, she's just complaining about me posting WAY too many pictures at that point in time... Which I was...

I still stand by the law of funny though: It was lulz!

Board footer