The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-04 13:00:29

WolflikeCriminal

The Darness in the Light

Prologue
            My name… is Akeria.  I’m 23 years old and growing older.  Unlike my kind neighbors, who decided to come out to the world about four years ago. They live among us now, as if it is normal to have rotting flesh mixed with the society. Everyone thought that 2012 was when everyone would die. Well apparently, whoever did the research was dyslectic because it was when the dead began to live.

I grew up in Apache, Oklahoma, with my Mother as my only guardian. My memory of her is of that of a lost object. You know just where it is until you go looking for it. She was never around much when I was but a mere child. I took care of myself for the most part. But she would always show up when she needed food or water… like a dog, which prowls until it realizes it’s starving and finds its way back home.

It never even occurred to me then, that she could have been in trouble or in danger. Apache had always been a safe haven. Nothing big ever happened; the most excitement the town got was a Twinkie truck tipping over on the way to the factory. Needless to say, Apache is a small town. Everyone is friends and nothing can be hidden. At least, that’s what I thought. When the Zombies decided to live among us instead of hiding from us, everyone freaked. People found out things about each other that would have never been revealed if not for the Zombies.

The town has gone as far as saying Werewolves, Vampires, and Witches live amongst us. The way I see it, that’s going a bit too far. But to make matters worse, they decided to add Angels, Demons, and Fairies to the list as well. There’s no way this can be true. I refuse to believe any of it. Things like this don’t just happen. These are all just stories people tell so nobody will ask questions. The only reason everyone else is “coming out” too, is because the Zombies are getting all the attention. So now everyone is making up ridiculous stories to get the attention back on them.

I would have thought our news crew would be a little tougher to be fooled by such non-sense. Just the other day, a man of my age was featured on the news, claiming to be the cookie monster. Like that makes any sense at all.

“This just in, an Apache man, disturbing the peace after causing an incident at the local donut shop. He claims to be the cookie…” she cuts herself off whispering into the mike. “The cookie monster? Are you sure that right? Yeah? Okay- Who claims to be the cookie monster. He will be sent straight to the Institution as soon as possible.”

I’ve heard the Institution is a horrible place to be stuck in. The things they do to those people are disgusting. Don’t get me wrong, it needs to be done for these people. They need to be controlled. And what a better way than to isolate them from the outside world.

Of course, the Institution is only for those few who have failed to be cured at the Home. Everyone has to be sent to the Home before being admitted to the Institution. But apparently the cookie monster has no chance at being cured. That much is obvious.

But if they understood his mental illness, why have they not locked up the other “differents?” It’s like they are okay with letting these people corrupt our society as well as the new generation’s minds. I can only imagine the type of world we would live in where the crazy people are blended with the normal ones.

As disturbing as it may seem, you have no clue how revolting it is to me. To not know your father, and be abandoned by your mother every chance she got. This is all just a sick joke for someone’s pure entertainment. This world… is a sick, sick place.

Chapter 1

“Can you believe this non-sense?” I spoke slowly, examining my coffee cup. “Zombies living in our small town? What are the odds?” Castiel turned his attention from the table he was cleaning.

“Yeah I believe it. For the most part at least.” He walked towards me adjusting his apron. “I mean, it’s just a disease. Like AIDS or diabetes. You can’t cure it; you just have to live with it.

I glared at him over my sunglasses. “You don’t just “live” with skin rotting on your face and body parts falling.” Castiel laughed and took the seat across from me.

“Look around, Akeria. The umbrella above your head, the coffee shop, the wooded area across the street, they’re all things that have come to be great. Even if they started off scary.” He chuckled again as he rustled my hair.

“I really wish you wouldn’t do that.” I giggled.

“Do what? This?” He rustled my hair again as I pushed his hand away.

“Yes that! It makes me feel like I’m a little kid.” I watched him roll his eyes as he got up to leave.

“Your still just a kid to me squirt.”

“You’re not that much older than me.” I glowered as he disappeared back into the coffee shop. I took my phone out while I finished my coffee just as I was receiving a call. I pushed the green button and pressed it to my ear instinctively.

“Hello?”

“Akeria! Oh, I’m so glad I reached you.” I took the phone from my ear and glanced at the screen. Unknown Number.

“Um, hi? Who is this?”

“Akeria, you really don’t recognize the sound of your best friend’s voice?” She answered back.

My only best friend had been in High School. We used to hang out all the time before she left for college. We were always at my mom’s house, since she was never there. The house is mine now though; I haven’t seen my mother in almost three years. I assumed she ran away to Vegas with some guy she met at the bar. She’d be back when the money goes dry. I was sure of it.

“Hello? Akeria are you still there? It’s Faye.”

I felt my heart stop when she said it. “Faye?”

“Yeah. Remember me?” She giggled.

“Y-yeah, I remember. I just- Your- I thought you were dead.” I stammered.

“I’m what?” she laughed. “What would make you think that?”

“The explosion. At the college. YOUR college.” I stopped to regain my composure. “Your name was in the paper. They said you died there.” Faye laughed lightly again and took a deep breath.

It took me a minute, but finally it clicked. “Faye? Are you a Zombie?”

“A what?” she screeched. “Zombie? Akeria, I think you’ve been watching too many horror movies.” She giggled again. “By the way, I’m on my way to your house right now. The same one right? I’m staying here for a while. Isn’t that great?”

“Y-yeah. Same place. I’m at the coffee shop now. But I’ll be there soon.” I said before I clicked End.

My best friend had survived a massive explosion and now she’s back and staying with me. Something is going on here. This is all so sudden.

I pulled a five from my pocket and threw it down on the table. Grabbing my purse I turned to leave.

“Akeria!” I turned my head. Castiel was running towards me, his blonde hair bouncing with every stride. “I forgot to tell you. Tyson’s back from England!” I stared at him. “What’s the look for?”

Castiel and I met my freshman year of High School. He and Tyson were always around when Faye and I were causing trouble. Faye and Tyson had a thing for each other since then. The fact that they both came back the same day? Coincidence. Possibly fate.

“Faye’s at my house now.” I said, blankly staring at him. Castiel’s face turned from pure excitement to shock in a matter of seconds.

“We’re coming over.” He said taking off again back to the Coffee Shop. Wonderful. A reunion. I wonder if they know what’s changed since they left.

I pulled into the stone filled driveway just in time to see Faye burst from the house, face pale white around her dark brown eyes. Here we go, I thought to myself, yanking the keys from the ignition and stepping out into the gravel.

Faye ran to me, tears streaming her face black. “Welcome home, Faye.” I smiled brightly, wrapping her in a hug. She clung to me like wet paper.

“How can you be so peppy?” She wailed.

“What’s wrong?” I pulled her away and stared into her blotched eyes.

“There’s- there’s-“she turned and pointed to the tall white house next door. Standing not but a yard from us was a man. He was about 6 feet tall and behind a small metal fence. He smiled, bearing rotting yellow teeth and chapped, blood stained lips. Faye screamed again and grabbed me in another agonizing hug.

“Good Afternoon, Akuji. How are you?” I tried to sound pleasant through my gritted teeth. I pulled away from Faye and Akuji and headed towards the house. A low grunt followed by a squeal told me Faye was following close behind. Faye ran up behind me in the kitchen.

“W-What was that…THING out there?” Faye managed to say through sobs. I turned and shoved by her, reaching into the fridge for a soda. “What thing?” I asked sarcastically before laughing and hugging her again. “Don’t worry about it, alright? He’s my neighbor,” I paused briefly, pulling her back and looking into her eyes. “Who just happens to be a Zombie.” I finished before walking away.

Faye sniffled. “He’s a what?” She followed me through the den and into the living room before collapsing on the couch next to me.

“Look, while you were gone, Zombies came out to us. And then,” I clicked the television on as her eyes went for me to the screen.

“As the Zombies come, more and more secrets unfold about our small town. Breaking news says Fairies have recently made their being known this morning when a local-” I grunted and turned it off.

“See?” I looked at her; her face had gone white. “I know, it’s disturbing. The things people make up to get the media’s attention.”

Faye half-giggled and looked away. “Is this…normal?”

“Why no, no it’s not. But there’s nothing that can be done now. We are a Zombie friendly community.”

“And these…Fairies?” she looked back at me.

“Faye,” I put my hand on her shoulder. “Please don’t tell me you are falling for this immaturity.”

“No,” she paused. “No, of course not. I was just questioning it.”

The doorbell rang obnoxiously through the house. I silently smiled to myself as I made my way to the door. “I’ve got a present for you.”

“If it’s another Zombie, I’m going to kill you.”

I reached the hall at the end of the room before the doorbell rang again, piercing my ears. The door burst open before I could get to it, revealing Castiel with a look of excitement only a little boy going to Disney World could have. He smiled wide; teeth white as paper, glimmering under the chandelier above our heads.

After a moment, Castiel noticed my stare and laughed. “Drooling isn’t polite, Akeria.” He shoved by me. “Where is she?” He circled me like a puppy.

“She’s in the living room.” I managed to get out before he tried to take off down the hall. I grabbed his arm. “Where’s Tyson?”

A breeze from the doorway made me turn my head. Tyson leaned against the doorway, blue eyes peering into the hallway. His gaze turned to me after I nervously gasped. He smiled brightly and ran a hand through his brown hair. “Long time no see, Akeria.” His voice was deeper than I had ever remembered it. Tyson had always been the quiet one. He was up for anything you asked of him, but never said much about the matter.

“H-Hi, Tyson.” I stuttered. Making a fool of myself was kind of a daily thing for me. I hadn’t seen Tyson since Graduation about six years ago.

“Are you going to invite me in?” he asked pleadingly. The question stunned me for a minute before I understood he was kidding. Castiel must have told him about the recent news. I thought.

I played along. “Oh dear Tyson, Won’t you please come in and join me for a nice cup of tea and some finger sandwiches?”

“I would be thrilled to be granted the beauty of your presence, my lady.”
I led him into the living room to join Castiel who was suffocating Faye in an excruciating hug.

Tyson and I stood in the doorway until I heard the faint gasp from behind me. Castiel moved
slowly off of her. Her hair was mangled and make-up still smudged under her eyes. She tried to regain her stability as she stood up and tugged at her skirt. I cleared my throat noisily as she looked up from brushing herself off. Her face dropped from irritation to shock.

Tyson stood his ground as he moved from behind me to front and center. The silence was enough to pierce through anything. “Faye?” Tyson half-whispered it, not entirely sure what to say.

Faye sat back down on the couch staring. “Tyson.”

Tyson moved forward, slowly inching towards her. “Thus Romeo ran to Juliet on Baywatch.” Castiel was the first to break the silence. Tyson glared at Castiel as he sat down next to Faye.

“How have you been? I haven’t seen you in ages.”

“I’m pretty decent, I guess.” She paused. “When did you get back from England?”

“Today. How’s college?”

“College is alright. I just got back today too.” She stared at him, waiting for a response. When nothing came she looked at me for help.

“Hey, why don’t we go out and do something?”

Tyson and Castiel looked at me simultaneously. But Tyson moved his stare back to Faye. “You want to go see a movie or something?” I wasn’t sure if he was asking just her or if he meant it to be a group outing.

“Sure. I haven’t been out in a while. It should be nice.” Tyson stood and held his hand out for Faye to grab, which she so agreeably did. When they left the room without even a goodbye, I assumed it was a private party.

Chapter 2

Castiel and I took the day to roam the streets of Apache and look at all the things that we have seen a million times before. “Everything looks so different when you look at it through wiser eyes.” I was always the depressing one of the bunch. Castiel would always correct my mind set whenever he had the chance to. But since grade school ended and Faye and Tyson left, things between Castiel and I had slowly disintegrated. We talked a little, but only when I came in for my coffee.

What I never understood was why he was always the one who was there for us when Faye and I got ourselves into trouble. He was the one we could count on to keep us safe. Never once had I gotten hurt while I was around him. He tried his best to do whatever he could to always be there. Everyone saw it. Everyone called him superman. Just because he was always the good one, saving the day.

“Growing old doesn’t have to be looked upon as such a bad future, Akeria.” Castiel whispered as we turned down an alleyway.

“Castiel,” I paused waiting for his response. He just looked at me in the darkness. “Why did you always stay with us when we were younger?”

“I wanted to make sure that you were okay.”

“But we always were. Nothing bad ever happened to us.”

“Your right. Nothing ever happened while I was there. But when I wasn’t-” he stopped his sentence.

When Faye and I were in the tenth grade, we had decided to experiment with the dark arts. We bought colored candles, assorted herbs, and incense. Castiel was out with Tyson on a road trip up North.

Last edited by WolflikeCriminal (2011-04-04 13:01:44)

Tell me im worthless,useless and pathetic. I will believe you. But in the end im the one who succeeds.

Board footer