The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#51 2012-09-28 18:18:20

WolfVanZandt
Website

Re: Pack rules:

My mother didn't react too badly. I got the idea she didn't really grasp it. My brother was surprisingly accepting. I didn't tell my father until he asked. He was on his death bed. He accepted it pretty well. My nephew was tickled to have a Werewolf for an uncle.

I'll make allowances for telephone (and, maybe Skype calls. At least you have a voice to associate with the name). Actually, I think it's possible to befriends you've met online, but don't be too surprised when you meet them in real life if you're only friend with an online persona and the real life person is distressingly different (or, perhaps, even a much better person).

#52 2012-09-28 18:56:32

BlackWolfMarwood

I met a guy in a MMORPG named Runescape in 2002. He was a member of my clan for several years while we grew in membership and fame within the game. He IMed me one day and said he needed a place to stay because his girlfriend's sons chased him with baseball bats because they didn't want their mom dating someone after she finally after 7 years left their abusive father. What made it different was that she was in her mid 40s and he was in his mid 20s. Her sons were turning 18 and could not accept an age gap like that. I met him at the airport and he stayed with my roommate and I at my apartment for two weeks while we waited for his girlfriend to pack up her stuff and drive across the country. She arrived one evening and the next day the two of them drove out west to buy a house together. I am still close friends with him and hope to go to their wedding at some point after he gets out of the army. (Hes an engineer and repairs missile systems at Fort Hood in Texas. Anyway - my point is that it is possible and they can be decent people so long as you know them long enough. There are some bad eggs but always keep an open mind.

#53 2012-09-29 02:18:54

walkingintheshadows
Website

Have you ever had a bad reaction to telling someone? My sister has found out twice, once after going through my skype conversation and once after reading through my texts on my phone. Both times I lied my way out of it rather than come clean to her. The first thing she did after the second time was run around telling all her friends that I have a mental disorder. I lied my way out of that too. I'm not sure about my parents. I'd love to be open about it, completely. I don't think it's possible for me though, right now.

And BlackWolf, that sounds great. There's hope out there XD Some people are decent.

#54 2012-09-29 10:04:36

WolfVanZandt
Website

Most Weres I've met offline have been very decent people. There are those few, though.

I've never had a blatantly harsh reaction but I have had a few people cool off toward me after learning that I considered myself a Werewolf. Most people seem to be able to overlook it. (Notice that I don't assume that when I tell people that I'm a Werewolf, they actually grasp the concept. I suspect they usually either ignore it or assume that I'm "eccentric".)

#55 2012-10-02 14:16:13

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

Hey Wolf! Long time no howl smile

"It is better to be hated for what you are, than loved for what you are not."
                                                                                          -Andre Gide

#56 2012-10-03 00:17:25

WolfVanZandt
Website

O.o

Didn't seem so long. Why, just yesterday, I was talking to Teddy Roosevelt and I said.......

#57 2012-10-03 02:48:53

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

xD haha :p how ya been?

-Andre Gide

#58 2012-10-03 23:54:49

WolfVanZandt
Website

I dunno.......
Actually, things are sorta crazy. Fun but....sorta crazy. The economy, and my personal finances, are both tense but I haven't had to cut anything serious out yet. I'm healthy or else I wouldn't have survived the last NCHowl (which was extraordinary but grueling at times). I like demanding hikes. If I survive them, it tells me my heart is still working okay. I'm looking at two more long road trips before the SEHowl in March.

How about you?

#59 2012-10-04 02:15:02

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

Sounds pretty good to me- I've gotta get down to a Howl sometime! I'd love to hear more about them smile
Well,  I graduated and now I've started my first year of university. I developed more allergies, unfortunately- but I can still eat meat!....(Actually, that's ALL I can eat now.) I'm working a couple jobs now-blasted economy does NOT help with tuition costs- and I went to China over spring break. Glad to be back though! Missed you guys

-Andre Gide

#60 2012-10-04 19:44:25

WolfVanZandt
Website

Woof! Sounds exciting.......except the allergies. Well, if I had to give up something, I'd just as soon it wasn't meat.

#61 2012-10-04 23:21:08

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

True enough! It could be worse, I could be restricted to *shudder* vegetables

-Andre Gide

#62 2012-11-17 02:16:43

walkingintheshadows
Website

What, in your opinion, is the best way or the most likely way that the Were community will develop? Is it likely that there will be a sudden interest, through some social media or a single person/group raising awareness or is it more likely to be a slow, creeping change, till it gradually becomes a little more accpeted into people's everyday lives? Or perhaps even the whole community would band together, I don't know. Which would be better for our PR? I can imagine that a single person or group raising awareness could cause issues if they weren't the right 'type' of people.

#63 2012-11-17 12:52:36

WolfVanZandt
Website

The offline community is banding together. I'm quite happy with the way things are going and I'm not compelled to rush things.  I don't think anything needs to be different - things are pretty much moving in the right direction.

I don't think every Were needs to be doing everything. There are Weres that are focusing on community building and there are separate colonies that are tied nicely together by many very mobile Weres.

We're also attracting the attention of academia. There are some studies in the works. It's slow now but these things tend to be exponential in growth, starting very slowly and building in speed. Once things catch on and we figure out how things work, growth will pick up.

And you're right. We need to "manage" our public relations. We're good for society at large but there are certain facets of our lives that look like maybe we're not. People need to understand us before they know all the little details of our lives.

It's like the old TV ad - "Get to know us; you'll like us."

#64 2012-11-17 13:59:36

bloodlust
werewolf guardian
Website

I'm not a very mobile were (I want to start going to conventions, but I don't have any transportation. I planning on going to Dragon Con 2013.) but I think it would be awesome for the were community to be more well known offline.

"Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for a friend."
http://s1.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=152377

#65 2012-11-17 19:19:32

WolfVanZandt
Website

We've tossed around the idea of a conference but we just haven't been able to figure out what one would look like. One of the problems is that the typical Were is so chaotic, a Con might not even be appropriate for the Were community. The best I've been able to come up with is a sort of Megahowl which offers vendors and information booths - sorta like a renaissance fair type thing. I'm just not sure. Perhaps that's something for some enterprising pack to play with.

#66 2012-11-17 21:52:49

bloodlust
werewolf guardian
Website

I was just putting some ideas out. Don't have any more at the moment.

#67 2012-11-18 03:13:58

walkingintheshadows
Website

I would love to read some more academic studies on therianthropy, I think it'd be fascinating. I suppose I just have to be patient for that. Yeah, I guess that is the general worry - that people will get the wrong idea or a sterotypical idea of Weres into their heads that's massively incorrect. I'd love to be present at conventions, but I really don't have the money to go to America right now, so I have to stay UK focused for meetups.  Potentially, I'd like to raise enough money to become more of the travelling sort.

I agree Blood, I'd love for the therian community to be more recognised offline, but I guess that's going to come with time.

A MegaHowl sounds fun, especially seeing as it wouldn't be so focused on meeting one Were's ideas, but rather everyone would be comfortable (or close). I'd assume that would probably be held in America, for convenience's sake. I think if there was one large meetup like that though, I'd be more likely to attend, as it would give me something to save for every year.

#68 2012-11-18 14:49:01

WolfVanZandt
Website

My impression is that we have more community in the US. If that's true, I would think that the UK needs to catch up with the US. But that just might be me. Were community right now is the most important goal in my life. There's no reason why a Megahowl couldn't be held in Europe or the UK. Certainly one of the largest early Howls was the EuroHowl.

http://wolfden.critter.net/howlsandcons … /index.htm

There's no reason why European Weres can't be as cohesive as American Weres and I, for one, would welcome that.

#69 2012-11-18 15:17:23

bloodlust
werewolf guardian
Website

Wolf, if I get any more Ideas, I will let you know.

#70 2012-11-18 20:32:38

WolfVanZandt
Website

Feel free to email me.

#71 2012-11-19 15:52:44

bloodlust
werewolf guardian
Website

Okay, I will do that as soon as I think of something.

#72 2013-07-06 18:40:51

Alpha_Lobo

Once I set up my pack I will basically base it on m.c rules since I have been part of an m.c but had to leave cause I find it hard to control my inner wolf at times

When you embrace the animal inside you reach the ultimate clarity everything opens up to you . Only once this is acheived that you can trully call yourself a alpha

#73 2013-09-04 02:45:28

Aldric

My Pack is me and 2 other people and well we just hang out and stay to ourselves whilst having a fun time lol. there is only one rule No Harming-Killing anything (especially Humans). we live in a small town. and the sad part is we have several fake packs around us hmm

"The Root of all fear, is Imagination."

Yes i'm a Fox (Not Stereotypical though lol)

#74 2013-10-25 22:35:07

Wolfieselia

Badseed_666 wrote:

Only pack I have are my three dogs. Only thing I ask of them is to be nice and listen to my commands loyally. Pretty simple. I wish I had a pack here in Wisconsin but I guess there aren't that many of us here willing to come out of the bush to form one.

I'm from Wisconsin :3...
I dislike it strongly...IT'S GETTING TOO COLD ;_; So I have taken refuge in my blankets until summer big_smile

#75 2013-10-26 01:34:31

WolfVanZandt
Website

Cold? Did someone say "cold"? I want some of that. Could you box some of that up and send it to Alabama.

Heh, actually, I'm moving to Colorado soon, anyway, but Alabama still needs some cold. Send it on down here.

Board footer