The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-02 22:16:32

John Anchondo

Coincidence? I think not.

Just testing out an observation. Do you experience sleep paralysis often and are therian?

Those who don't understand the past are destined to repeat it.

#2 2011-10-03 18:30:22

WolfVanZandt
Website

Re: Coincidence? I think not.

I don't know if I ever experience sleep paralysis because I probably interpret it differently than other people. Technically, everybody experiences sleep paralysis as it's a normal part of sleep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

I've never had the frightening version of it, though. And I'm a Therian.

#3 2011-10-03 21:39:38

John Anchondo

Yeah most people experience it at least one point of there life, but not often. I was checking if therians experience it often, because it's also a symptom of a migraine. See what I'm getting at. I found this interesting, in that wiki reference WVZ under folklore, under swedish it says, "sleep paralysis is caused by a Mare, a supernatural creature related to the werewolf." Werewolf, wow, that's just creepy lol.

My reason for stumbling on this was me researching why I was experiencing sleep paralysis often and if it was common. Then I see this, and I'm baffled.

#4 2011-10-04 17:55:01

WolfVanZandt
Website

In the U.S. the "mare" is more likely to be called a "hag". Sometimes it's a manifestation of sleep dynamics, but there's also a vampiric spirit that causes similar symptoms.

#5 2011-10-04 19:13:28

John Anchondo

Lol, hag. Well just food for thought I guess.

#6 2011-10-04 20:20:18

lupinealchemist

Now I'm curious about my wolf spirit who accompanies me during the worst cases of sleep paralysis...

#7 2011-10-05 18:25:15

John Anchondo

@ lupinalchemist, as am I, do you experience sleep paralysis often.

#8 2011-10-05 18:53:56

lupinealchemist

John Anchondo wrote:

@ lupinalchemist, as am I, do you experience sleep paralysis often.

Not often, but it is interesting, no less.

#9 2011-10-07 16:17:47

MadDog94

when i have sleep paralysis i always force myself to move cause i always get the sense of danger.

#10 2011-10-07 17:00:19

John Anchondo

@Ralphite, Well, I'm sure it's established that most therians experience migraines pretty much all the time. Sleep paralysis, is experienced by all (including humans), but humans say they only experience it 3-4 times in their whole life. I experience it often, so I decided that I wanted to find out why, then I looked it up and found that it's a symptom of migraines, and also found that the mare was related to the werewolf. I think that it may be of therian traits.

#11 2011-10-07 17:01:59

John Anchondo

@MadDog, I can relate to that, I always have that experience.

#12 2011-11-01 04:37:23

Moonlit Hunter

Well... honestly, I only rarely experience what I believe to be sleep paralysis anymore. I have not in years.

There was a point in time during my life, however, when I had such experiences nearly every time I went to sleep. There are a few obscurities, though, that make my experiences varied.

For one thing, I have suffered from severe asthma for the majority of my life. One of the common complaints about sleep paralysis is the inability to breathe freely, or the feeling of something sitting on your chest. From the time I was about 10 until I was into my twenties, I woke up needing my inhaler basically every single day of my life. So I feel that I can't explain my difficulties breathing during potential sleep paralysis episodes as part of the sleep paralysis... since I was still having an asthma attack when I was fully awake. And that is a separate condition.

With that out of the way, I had two very different types of experiences that could be called "sleep paralysis," I think. The first type would be the scary kind, where I felt threatened or afraid of something. Based on what I have seen people say about sleep paralysis, I'd say this kind fits the bill more than the other kind. Lots of different things happened during these episodes, but they all dealt with some kind of "entity," that I believed was threatening me.

The second type of experience I used to have was actually very mundane, yet more traumatic for me personally by far. I would think that my mom was in the room, yelling at me. She would stand there and berate me or yell at me for various chores that I either didn't do or didn't do right, or whatever. This was hard for me because there were times when my mom really DID come into my room and yell at me or yank me out of bed. So the imaginary ones seemed that much more real, and for a while I had a very hard time trying to distinguish between what was real and what wasn't. The reason that I needed so badly to be able to tell was that she would tell me a bunch of things that I had to get done. If they weren't done, I was punished severely. So ... having an imaginary mom standing at my bed telling me to do imaginary chores could present quite a difficulty for me when I woke up, if I couldn't tell the difference. In the end, I just started doing it all, whether I thought it was real or not. And no, my mom was never grateful (or even bothered to notice) that all the extra work had been done.

Sometimes this second type of experience involved other family members, and sometimes rather than them coming into my room and speaking directly to me, I would see myself standing in the room with them and listening to their conversations. But yeah, the "mundane" kind of sleep paralysis I experienced was more or less just stuff that could have and often did happen anyways on a daily basis in my home.

For the most part, both of these types of experiences ceased altogether after I left home. I believe the first one stopped because of some decisions that I made, and the second kind stopped on its own as soon as I was no longer being berated daily and used as a slave for my family. I guess the anxiety of it was causing it, or something.

Interesting that sleep paralysis is linked to migraines, though. I did not know that. I suppose it is possible that my headaches had something to do with it all back then.

#13 2011-12-09 17:38:47

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

John Anchondo wrote:

Just testing out an observation. Do you experience sleep paralysis often and are therian?

Nope.  Don't think it's related if that's what you're asking.

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

Board footer