The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-23 07:06:16

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Why You Are (Probably) Not a Werewolf

I think it would be beneficial for us to have a thread which new members or young people can refer to which debunks their supposed 'symptoms' of lycanthropy and offers alternative, more sensible explanations for experiencing what they consider to be weird phenomena. Auto-stop's thread is a good example of why we need such a resource and I thought it might be a collaborative effort.

So, if we start by listing common 'symptoms' that people mention, perhaps we can have a collaborative debunking of each one and slowly build a resource, much like the FAQ.

1. Craving for raw meat or rare/steak - may indicate a bodily craving for protein or iron, not an animal spirit.
2. Growing hair in unusual places - is surprisingly common - so-called human 'werewolves' may suffer from hypertrochosis, where thick hair grows all over the body. It is not, however, a sign of therianthropy or lycanthropy.
3. Getting angry quickly/losing temper over nothing - A sign that you may be undergoing anything from excessive stress to hormonal changes or may simply have a short fuse. If you find this to be a problem seek anger management courses rather than self-diagnosing as a werewolf.
4. Being athletic and enjoying running/fighting/other sports - Exercise releases endorphins which can be addictive. Loving to run is no more a sign of being a werewolf than enjoying a sugary beverage; which also releases 'feel-good' brain chemicals.
5. Being a 'loner' and being called 'weird' - is perfectly normal for teenagers whatever their background or interests. It has nothing to do with lycanthropy.
6. Loving animals and having a literal 'animal magnetism' - Dogs, cats and other domesticated animals gravitate to you because they've learned being friendly with people gets them food; not because you're imbued with magical powers.
7. Having a good sense of smell - Is indicative that you have a good sense of smell; not that you are a lycanthrope.
8. Not liking large bodies of water/crucifixes/silver - Phobias are common psychological phenomena which can be dealt with by a psychiatrist or counsellor.
9. Howling and growling, in public or private - Is normal; people have used animal noises to communicate for centuries and, while a little out of the ordinary, it is by no means an indication of therianthropy/lycanthropy.
10. Liking nature, woodland, open spaces, etc. - Is normal - they are peaceful and serene places and often trigger a lessening of stress hormones like cortisol.

You can either list more or extrapolate on my ones, up to you.

Happy Debunking tongue

Last edited by ShadyHowl (2012-02-07 17:41:49)

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#2 2012-01-23 12:36:52

BlackWolfMarwood

Re: Why You Are (Probably) Not a Werewolf

Probably the one thing that anyone reading this topic and others like it should take away is that preteens and teenagers typically see werewolves and therianthropy as a romanticisized fad, much like they do with vampires and the advent of the popular Twilight book and movie series. If they are questioning whether they are what is thought of as a werewolf, the answer can be found with two questions.

1.) Do you - and only you - think you are spiritually a therianthrope/lycanthrope/werewolf? (Ignoring the influences of what others have told you)
2.) Has this belief withstood the test of time? (Meaning you have become an adult and still believe it to be so)

There are many definitions, beliefs, and commonalty found symptoms that many of us like to point out but concrete physical symptoms have been stated here time and again as only guides and cannot be used to diagnose everyone. If they did, we would see it in DSM-IV under the symptoms for lycanthropy. I admit it is fun to see them and point out to each saying "thats me alright!" but you should not make any radical life decisions just based on what you read on a forum.

WebMD states:

In the March 2000 issue of the Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, J. Arturo Silva, MD and Gregory B. Leong, MD describe the case of "Mr. A" who suffered from a case of partial lycanthropy -- the delusion that one is being transformed into a wolf.

"Mr. A is a 46-year-old male who experienced delusional episodes that lasted up to several hours. During these episodes, he had sensations of hair growth on his face, trunk, and arms. Occasionally, he became convinced that the hair growth was real. He also complained that he experienced structural facial malformations and lesions that took place within minutes and remained for hours. He thought these changes would make him appear to be a wolf, and avoided seeing his face or body whenever possible. However, he did not believe that he was a wolf. He denied that his mind was changing into a different mind or that he was a different person from his objective self."

Silva, who is a staff psychiatrist at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Palo Alto, Calif., tells WebMD that lycanthropy, "can be due to a hysteria or a psychosis -- in other words madness -- or it can be due to other kinds of illnesses, such as depression associated with a lot of self-deprecating thoughts. But often, once you start getting into a real belief system where somebody says 'I think I'm turning into a werewolf,' and he looks at his body and his hair, and the shape of his face changing -- once you get to that level it usually is a clear loss of contact with reality."

Wikipedia's article on Therianthropy states:

Transmigration of souls
Therianthropy is often confused with transmigration; but the essential feature of the were-animal is that it is the alternative form or the double of a living human being, while the soul-animal is the vehicle, temporary or permanent, of the spirit of a dead human being. Nevertheless, instances in legend of humans reincarnated as wolves are often classed with lycanthropy, as well as these instances being labeled werewolves in local folklore.
There is no line of demarcation, and this makes it probable that lycanthropy is connected with nagualism and the belief in familiar spirits, rather than with metempsychosis, as E. B. Tylor argued, or with totemism, as suggested by J. F. M'Lennan. Thus, these origins for lycanthropy mingle a belief in reincarnation, a belief in the sharing of souls between living humans and beasts and a belief in human ghosts appearing as non-human animals after death. A characteristic of metempsychosis is a blurring of the boundaries between the intangible and the corporeal, so that souls are often conceived of as solid, visible forms that need to eat and can do physical harm.[15]

Self Identification
The first widely-known internet use of the term developed among the Usenet group alt.horror.werewolves (ca. 1992).[24] Some Usenet users began publicly asserting that they were part animal, generally in a spiritual sense.[25] Such people initially called themselves lycanthropes or weres, but because lycan specifically refers to wolves the term therianthrope became more widely used. From these foundations, a subculture of individuals identifying as therianthropes has developed.[26] Some self-described therianthropes also consider themselves members of the Otherkin subculture.[27] Many therianthropes also claim they have a psychological connection, rather than a spiritual one to their animal. Some therianthropes use the term species dysphoria to describe their feelings of disconnect with their human bodies as a result of their identification.

Take from it what you will but in the end, all that really matters is if you are happy with who you really are.

Additional information: http://forum.werewolfcafe.com/viewtopic.php?id=4240

Last edited by marwolf (2012-01-23 12:43:14)

#3 2012-01-23 16:53:22

Randomwolf42
Random Wolf [Moderator]
Website

I'm just gonna sticky this thread, so it doesn't get lost...

#4 2012-01-23 17:52:03

lupinealchemist

Hopefully, newcomers will come here instead of making hundreds of "Am I a were-anything" threads.

#5 2012-01-23 22:30:33

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

You forgot about the Height and Weight.

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#6 2012-01-24 06:01:00

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

SherlawkDragon wrote:

Do you reckon the little kiddies think height and weight has anything to do with lycanthropy?!

#7 2012-01-24 18:23:00

WolfVanZandt
Website

It looks as though anything at all is fair game.

One little kiddie on a forum was convinced that he was a Werewolf because his semen was watery. I kid you not.

#8 2012-01-24 19:01:02

John Anchondo

Ugh, disgusting. Lol, WVZ did tell the kid he was "choking the chicken" to often.

Those who don't understand the past are destined to repeat it.

#9 2012-01-24 22:31:56

Randomwolf42
Random Wolf [Moderator]
Website

ShadyHowl wrote:

SherlawkDragon wrote:

Do you reckon the little kiddies think height and weight has anything to do with lycanthropy?!

Yeah, people always ask about that for some reason. Always.

#10 2012-01-25 21:41:31

WolfMontana

marwolf wrote:

you should not make any radical life decisions just based on what you read on a forum.

Well said.

I don't think this post will change much though. Folks will find a way to ignore it, or talk themselves out of it, and personally you're taking all the fun away from the idea. If you can't eat raw meat, run around the woods, growling at folks while spitting in rage, knowing it's going to rain soon cause you can smell it, while fighting off amorous forest critters with hairy hands - what else have you got?

A moody righteous sense of being the only true therian, while not really knowing exactly what that is and being unable to truly define it? tongue

I have to admit, I'm a little confused by the 'large body of water' thing though. o.O

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#11 2012-01-26 00:11:18

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

WolfMontana wrote:

A moody righteous sense of being the only true therian, while not really knowing exactly what that is and being unable to truly define it? :P

Hey, that sounds like me, maybe I'm a therian too!

Anyway, to anyone who posts here asking if they're a therian, I reserve the right to troll your posts if I think they're too silly. >:|

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#12 2012-01-26 18:49:25

BlackWolfMarwood

Hay SherlawkDragon, when I jump off the bed of a truck, I don't make any noise when i land on the ground. Am I a tharieen??question?mark!

#13 2012-01-26 20:06:16

WolfMontana

If you flip twice before landing, yes. If not, no.

If you have purple fluffy slippers, you are DEFINITELY a therian.

#14 2012-01-26 20:10:41

Randomwolf42
Random Wolf [Moderator]
Website

WolfMontana wrote:

NOOOOO, don't tell them that! It's part of the seecret warewolf conspeerecy. We control the horizontal and the vertical!!!!11!!!eleven1!

#15 2012-01-26 20:19:22

WolfVanZandt
Website

O.o

Hey, wait.

How did I miss out on the amorous forest creatures!

I'm not getting the full package here!

#16 2012-01-26 23:32:12

WolfMontana

Ha! lol Let me mail you that package. Fed Ex ground or air? wink One crate of love sick squirrels headin' your way!

#17 2012-01-27 18:18:56

WolfVanZandt
Website

Woof! A crate?! entertainment and] dinner!

#18 2012-01-27 20:52:08

WolfMontana

You say this before opening the crate - it's canned mayhem mister! big_smile

#19 2012-01-28 05:55:10

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

http://operatorchan.org/k/arch/src/k226695_Thread%20Derail.gif

#20 2012-01-28 12:15:50

WolfMontana

Oh my god, that made me laugh my butt off. big_smile

Sorry, I shall cease and desist. (original point still stands though - folks will hear what they want to)

#21 2012-01-29 07:16:38

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

ShadyHowl wrote:

*Thread Derailed*

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/026/2/8/JUST_AS_PLANNED_by_Link_09.jpg

#22 2012-02-07 17:42:27

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Initial post edited briefly to get the ball rolling.

GIVE ME MOAR STUFF, PEOPLE!

#23 2012-05-18 11:11:07

WhoAmI?

Hehe I like reason 8 personally I like water (lots or a little) just not when I've done my hair nice XD and I love silver and crosses they're very pretty or even better silver crosses!
I practically have no sense of smell apart from if it really is that bad wink
In reason 6 I think some animals are just very friendly and some are skittish, my cat has always been that way and it took a year to warm up to me -_- but I find animals way simpler to get on with than other people I guess because they don't give a monkeys about people.

I did list some of these reasons for me maybe being a Therian but well if they mean that I am not then I'm not :3

This was a nice post and very helpful smile

#24 2012-05-18 11:13:56

WhoAmI?

WolfMontana wrote:

OMG really! 8D
But *sniff* I hate slippers D':

Sorry for the joke I'm being silly today X3

#25 2012-05-18 20:47:00

WerewolfLeaAnn

Thanks guys I needed this laugh! haha!

Almost all of those are symptoms of stress, or puberty...

"I feel the Change, back to a better day, the hair stands on the back of my neck, wildness is the preservation of the world, so seek the wolf in thyself!"- Metallica, "of wolf and man"

Board footer