The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-18 18:46:02

Void161

The rising (insert animal here)

I suppose I should start off by saying that there are varying degrees of therianthropy. I like to use percentages, but I will spare you that for the time being.

Being that this is my first post on this site, and I don't want to flame anyone specifically, but there are just some people out there who want so bad to be a therian, that they make themselves believe it.

Me? I believe there is an animal inside of all of us. Those who have the ability to tap into said animal are therians. There is such a strong association with wolves because of both Hollywood, and the Native Americans have depicted them, and people can relate to the want and need to be in a "pack".

Lets move on to things I can't explain, or proficiently speak about.

Again, no offense to anyones lifestyle choices regarding clothing, tattoos, etc., but I am a perfectly normal looking person, I am a 23 year old male, currently enlisted in the military.

Lately, I have had stronger and stronger urges, or "M-shifts". It doesn't make me want to kill or anything ridiculous like that. It usually makes me want to run, or perhaps fly, at very least jump, which is why i am a parkour practitioner, or traceur. To me, it almost feels like a fight or flight response in my body. I can feel my muscles expand and contract, almost contorting, and my senses highten considerably (I.E. smell, hearing, sight, and touch). Occasionally, I will get the feeling of phantom limbs, mostly claws.

I cannot tell you what my animal is. I want to say wolf, but i feel ridiculously cliche. Perhaps a bird of some sort, or even a bear.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever meditated to find their animal?

I've done my research, but there are ALOT of questions left unanswered and I feel like perhaps someone here may have some experience to share with me. So, any help or advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read, and hopefully respond.

Cheers,
Void.

#2 2012-02-20 10:42:29

KaraWolfDragon
Website

Re: The rising (insert animal here)

I meditated to find my spirit animal. I am, of course, a wolf. But I am also a coyote and a dragon. But I don't believe I'm a wolf just because everyone else is one, I just know it. Sometimes I wish I wasn't a wolf, just to be different.
I have known I'm a therian for about a year and a half. I know it's not really that long, but I still know a lot about Therianthropy, and have a lot of theories. So, if you have any questions, just ask me. I am highly likely to have a logical answer or theory.

The feeling of being a therian cannot be described in words. It's not just a label so we an find somewhere to fit in, it is who we are, who we have always been, and who we always will be. No one can change me, this is who I am. For more than ever.

#3 2012-02-20 23:54:04

Void161

I honestly don't feel the wolf in me most of the time, during M-shifts, it almost seems to be a hybrid, which greatly confuses me. See, the reason I believe it may be a bird of prey, is that I can sometimes spot a bird in the sky, and almost link it's vision with mine. I know this sounds far-fetched, but in this type of forum, I feel like I can speak freely of it. During this link, i can literally see the view looking down on myself, and the surrounding area. This far sight, as I've come to refer to it as (thanks to world of warcraft, of course), can be useful at times. Also, I'm very naturally gifted in bird calls, with no formal training, I can mimic almost anything I hear, with a fair amount of accuracy.

Upon, further meditation, I've realized that I get this same view of myself during the session. Just a few checks in the possible Avianthropy column.

On the other hand, I've been told before on more than one occasion that I resemble a wolf. Not that it necessarily means anything toward my theriotype, but who knows?

I just don't want anyone to feel that this is a poser typing this, so I'm trying to provide as much detail as possible.

#4 2012-02-22 10:59:45

lupinealchemist

I used to not like wolves, until I started involuntarily astral dream shifting into one.  I then started looking stuff up then here we are now.

#5 2012-02-22 22:20:11

Void161

Yeah. I just hate how over-romanticized the whole wolf theriotype has become.

#6 2012-02-22 23:58:42

Lupus_Arctos

I've always felt a deep connection with the Canis genus, whether they be wolves, dingos, or even domestic dogs.  So much so that I prefer to spend time in the presence of one of them instead of a human.  And you mentioned parcour?  Somewhat of the same thing here, but my M-shifts create in me a sort of manic belligerence.  I want to pick fights, which is completely unlike me at any other time.

Fortunately, I belong to a martial arts club that allows me to blow off some steam.  These m-shifts affect my energy levels and seem to most often occur duing thunderstorms.  I typically identify as a member of the species canis lupus arctos because I've lived near a pack of such wolves before, and they seem to match my personality the best.

My personality.  Read it.  This is who I am....for the most part.
I'm an agnostic atheist, asexual, cladotherian (Tribe Canini) male.
ET IN ARCADIA ERGO.
Currently a Beta, known as 'Canarius'.

#7 2012-02-24 09:51:46

KaraWolfDragon
Website

Void161 wrote:

I honestly don't feel the wolf in me most of the time, during M-shifts, it almost seems to be a hybrid, which greatly confuses me. See, the reason I believe it may be a bird of prey, is that I can sometimes spot a bird in the sky, and almost link it's vision with mine. I know this sounds far-fetched, but in this type of forum, I feel like I can speak freely of it. During this link, i can literally see the view looking down on myself, and the surrounding area. This far sight, as I've come to refer to it as (thanks to world of warcraft, of course), can be useful at times. Also, I'm very naturally gifted in bird calls, with no formal training, I can mimic almost anything I hear, with a fair amount of accuracy.

Upon, further meditation, I've realized that I get this same view of myself during the session. Just a few checks in the possible Avianthropy column.

On the other hand, I've been told before on more than one occasion that I resemble a wolf. Not that it necessarily means anything toward my theriotype, but who knows?

I just don't want anyone to feel that this is a poser typing this, so I'm trying to provide as much detail as possible.

You probably are a bird therian if you really feel like it. But there are many therians that are more than just one animal. I'm a wolf/dragon (yes, dragons used to exist) and I remember a time when I went on a vampire website (to ask some questions, I'm not a Twilight freak, just curious) and they didn't believe that I was part dragon. That doesn't mean unicorns and faeries are real, though. Just meditate a lot more and try to figure out who you really are. ^.=.^

The feeling of being a therian cannot be described in words. It's not just a label so we an find somewhere to fit in, it is who we are, who we have always been, and who we always will be. No one can change me, this is who I am. For more than ever.

#8 2012-02-24 11:14:25

KaraWolfDragon
Website

Lupus_Arctos wrote:

I've always felt a deep connection with the Canis genus, whether they be wolves, dingos, or even domestic dogs.  So much so that I prefer to spend time in the presence of one of them instead of a human.  And you mentioned parcour?  Somewhat of the same thing here, but my M-shifts create in me a sort of manic belligerence.  I want to pick fights, which is completely unlike me at any other time.

Fortunately, I belong to a martial arts club that allows me to blow off some steam.  These m-shifts affect my energy levels and seem to most often occur duing thunderstorms.  I typically identify as a member of the species canis lupus arctos because I've lived near a pack of such wolves before, and they seem to match my personality the best.

Animals are like humans, they can have different personalities. Just because one person has the personality of a snake doesn't mean they're a snake, they can be any type of animal. It's not the personality that makes you who you are, it's what you know from meditation or just knowing. If every wolf had the same personality as every other wolf, there wouldn't be ranks in packs, would there?

#9 2012-02-24 16:50:50

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Kara, theriotypes are often a manifestation of somebody's personality traits. More loyal and sociable people will be drawn to animals which form packs or hierarchies and more loner types will probably gravitate toward big cats and other solitary animals.

Personally I don't believe in multiple theriotypes. I just can't get my head around them; it seems indulgent to me. But each to their own I suppose.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#10 2012-02-24 16:53:18

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

KaraWolfDragon wrote:

(yes, dragons used to exist)

In B4 Sherlawk

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/015/orly.jpg

#11 2012-02-25 20:03:41

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

http://images.wikia.com/dragonballfanon/images/6/6e/Ya_Rly!.jpg

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#12 2012-02-27 11:16:41

KaraWolfDragon
Website

ShadyHowl wrote:

Kara, theriotypes are often a manifestation of somebody's personality traits. More loyal and sociable people will be drawn to animals which form packs or hierarchies and more loner types will probably gravitate toward big cats and other solitary animals.

Personally I don't believe in multiple theriotypes. I just can't get my head around them; it seems indulgent to me. But each to their own I suppose.

Well I mean like the animal quizes where it says that if you are dominate over other people you're a wolf and stuff like that. Some wolves are more dominate, but that makes them higher ranks, and some wolves are more submissive, because they're lower ranks. And some wolves are lone wolves and they feel they don't need a pack, but they might not be wolves. You know what I mean?

#13 2012-02-27 12:36:18

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Animal quizzes are a pretty lame way of 'discovering' your theriotype :-/

#14 2012-02-27 13:33:53

KaraWolfDragon
Website

Yes, exactly. That's what I meant to say, I just kind of have trouble putting things into the right words sometimes. Maybe I should go read the dictionary XD

#15 2012-02-29 03:55:54

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

...Why are we talking about animal quizzes?  I'd kind of like to address this whole hierarchy thing that seems to be coming up: the belief that social animals form rigid hierarchies and constantly seek to dominate each other has been largely discredited.  Just because someone is the "leader" or the "protector" doesn't mean they're considered to be "higher" than the "scavenger" in practice.  Alot of more effective groups are actually run without any direct hierarchy, just as many animals have social behaviors which don't involve dominance.  Raccoons are like that.

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#16 2012-02-29 10:01:55

KaraWolfDragon
Website

We were talking about animal personalities and how you can have the personality of one animal on a quiz but be a completely different animal therian.

#17 2012-02-29 11:18:37

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

KaraWolfDragon wrote:

We were talking about animal personalities and how you can have the personality of one animal on a quiz but be a completely different animal therian.

This was what YOU were talking about. I remained relatively confused the whole time.

#18 2012-02-29 12:06:16

KaraWolfDragon
Website

I don't really see how it's confusing. Well, kind of... Umm, I was basically saying that all wolves don't have one single personality.

#19 2012-03-01 05:33:31

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

KaraWolfDragon wrote:

I don't really see how it's confusing.

She is confused because you are bringing up silly online personality quizzes, which have no bearing on anything, in a serious discussion.

#20 2012-03-01 09:30:15

KaraWolfDragon
Website

Lupus_Arctos wrote:

I typically identify as a member of the species canis lupus arctos because I've lived near a pack of such wolves before, and they seem to match my personality the best.

I was trying to tell him that personalities don't always match the animal that you are.

#21 2012-03-01 16:42:08

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

KaraWolfDragon wrote:

Lupus_Arctos wrote:

I typically identify as a member of the species canis lupus arctos because I've lived near a pack of such wolves before, and they seem to match my personality the best.

I was trying to tell him that personalities don't always match the animal that you are.

Yeah but he said he liked wolves because he lived near them and thought they matched his personality - not because he did an online quiz that told him so....

And to be honest personality is definitely a factor in a theriotype, as I've said earlier on in the thread, so I'm not sure why you're making an issue of it in the first place.

#22 2012-03-01 21:42:25

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

I think the point here is that online personality quizzes are stupid and have no relevance in a therianthropy discussion.

#23 2012-03-02 09:41:55

KaraWolfDragon
Website

*sigh* I will stop trying to argue, I just can't really put it in words.

#24 2012-03-02 20:57:50

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Oh, I understand what you're saying, you're saying that different therians can have different personalities, even if they have the same theriotype.  I agree, it's just that Online Personality Quizzes are silly...

#25 2012-03-03 19:39:17

KaraWolfDragon
Website

Thanks for finally understanding. ^.=.^

Board footer