The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-15 23:24:46

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Forum Fodder! - Random Topic about: Packs

Alright, since the psychic vampire thread is doing so well, I'm gonna make another one, and hopefully we can get this one going just as strong! You guys know the drill: I'ma hit the random button on the wiki, and you guys respond.  And the topic is...

Therian Guide - No, that's a forum.  Next!

Pack - Aha!  This one's PERFECT!  Not only is it something a few of us are personally interested in, but it keeps coming up, especially with people going on about being "lone alphas" and all that.

So, this thread will be about the concept of a pack.  What is a pack?  Who's in them?  Why would you join one?  What benefit does being in one have?  How do packs function?  Are there any special rules about them?  Does anyone have any interesting experiences to share about being in one?  I know I do!

DISCUSS AWAY!

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#2 2012-03-15 23:48:49

The Wolf Pen
Behemoth
Website

Re: Forum Fodder! - Random Topic about: Packs

I don't have any experience being in a pack, but when I'm in a group of my human friends, I somehow always end up being something of a leader. Kind of like being Alpha? Or am I wrong?

I have a blog about all things werewolf! View it at http://behemoth-book.blogspot.com/ !

#3 2012-03-15 23:54:21

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

SherlawkDragon wrote:

What is a pack?

Well, it can be different things to different people, but I typically just see them as support groups in the grand scheme of things.  See, therians join groups with other therians who they get along with and can not only discuss therianthropy with a closer-knit group, but can associate with people like them so they don't feel so alone about it.  It can really be anyone, as long as it's a close knit group focused around mutual therianthropy.

Does anyone have any interesting experiences to share about being in one?

Yes.  First of all, I commonly find myself being outnumbered by wolves: the first pack I ever had had 2 wolves and me.  The one with Random ("Pack Nameless") I believe had 3, though I may be mistaken.  Second, the more people are in a pack, the more stereotypes seemed to be filled: for example, Cornflakes was our token silly kid.  Third, people on some sites have really weird ideas what a "pack" is.  I remember back on Werespace, Cornflakes infiltrated this one "pack" called the "Darkriders", who I made fun of so much that I made the opposing group "The Awesomewin Pack", where everyone was automatically instated as alpha, and which was "at war" with the Darkriders and the "therian monarchy". (long story about making fun of people)  This of course angered the "alpha" of the "Darkrider Pack" greatly, and eventually she pestered the administrator until she banned me for it. (funny that I was actually invited there by the original founder)

That's all I can think of to say for now.

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#4 2012-03-15 23:56:01

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

The Wolf Pen wrote:

I don't have any experience being in a pack, but when I'm in a group of my human friends, I somehow always end up being something of a leader. Kind of like being Alpha? Or am I wrong?

No.  That's silly.  You "take on a leadership role".  Don't say you're an "Alpha", it's honestly silly.

#5 2012-03-15 23:56:10

The Wolf Pen
Behemoth
Website

Can your pack consist of humans?

edit: And I figured that I wasn't Alpha, just asking to be sure.

Last edited by The Wolf Pen (2012-03-15 23:57:28)

I have a blog about all things werewolf! View it at http://behemoth-book.blogspot.com/ !

#6 2012-03-15 23:57:05

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

The Wolf Pen wrote:

Can your pack consist of humans?

Is it founded in a therian premise?  'Cause there aren't any real rules on it...

#7 2012-03-15 23:58:33

The Wolf Pen
Behemoth
Website

Not therian related at all, just asking if it could.

#8 2012-03-16 06:10:56

BlackWolfMarwood

Sounds like lulz were had on werespace!

#9 2012-03-16 14:12:11

Randomwolf42
Random Wolf [Moderator]
Website

marwolf wrote:

Sounds like lulz were had on werespace!

And lo, many lulz were had, and it was good. Alas it was not meant to be, as the coming of the banhammer was swift and Sherlawk's banning was brutal and merciness, and it was a sad, sad day for werespace.

yeah, it was fun at the time, but I think Sherlawk took something too far and got banned for it, then I stopped going there, so I have no idea what's happened since.

--sorry about the double post, I don't know what that's about, but if I delete one the other disappears.

#10 2012-03-17 00:22:35

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

scifiguy wrote:

but I think Sherlawk took something too far and got banned for it

Not as I remember.  I remember going to far, talking to the admin about it, and turning it way down.  Then I remember being banned when the next admin came in.  The story I was told had someone (either the Darkrider Alpha, the "Therian Princess", or that one homo emo kid) bothering the admin off the hook, and eventually threatening legal action, to the point that the admin was "in tears".  That's when she folded and banned me, and I completely understand her doing it.  The funny thing was that I was invited there by Fenrir (who stepped down after not being able to combat the accusation that Werespace was a recruiting ground for Therian Temple) when he made it, and if I remember (though I might be completely wrong) he said it was because he needed "people like you" on the site, and I was also collaborating with Raven (the previous admin, who stepped down because it was too much work) when it came to some of the trolling.  Lady Sesaya hadn't been an admin for more than a week or two when she banned me.

I have no idea what's happened since.

I think it had a few more changes, then died, but I wouldn't know, as I stopped worrying after being banned.

Edit: oh, and that's not too far off topic, but just to be more topic-oriented

The Wolf Pen wrote:

Not therian related at all, just asking if it could.

If you're talking about your group of non-therian friends, then that's not really the kind of "pack" we mean here: we mean groups for therians.

I wonder where that K-wolf-chick went...

Last edited by SherlawkDragon (2012-03-17 00:25:11)

#11 2012-03-17 06:27:42

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Somnia, all of my yes to your last post.

#12 2012-03-19 02:23:44

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Ponies! big_smile

#13 2012-03-19 05:51:33

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

SherlawkDragon wrote:

I wonder where that K-wolf-chick went...

Inorite, I think we scared her off by telling her her 'dream' of living in a big house with 20 people she barely knew was neither sensible nor financially viable. Proof in my mind that the problem with the youth of today is that they all have unrealistic expectations and when anybody points it out they frequently yell 'GTFO, REAL LIFE!' and go find a hugbox elsewhere that agrees.

Very few things in therianthropy make me more angry than the self-elected 'Alphas' of packs, whether on or offline. Everyone's an Alpha, seemingly; since it is perceived as cool and important and ZOMG powerful. The only 'real' Alphas are the ones who don't need to insist that they are an Alpha. They just have such a natural air of authority and approachability that it is obvious that it sets them apart. Unfortunately, in a group of teenagers in a 'therian pack' bawwwing to each other about how hard life is; such people are unlikely to exist, so it just falls to the biggest bully or narcissist to assume the role of Alpha.

tl;dr I just hate teen therians.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#14 2012-03-20 14:23:43

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Yeah, I agree with Somnia, usually they only leave when they've been completely foolish the entire time and have no redeeming quality to it.  Also, I was a teen therian once. :|

#15 2012-03-20 19:10:04

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

SherlawkDragon wrote:

Also, I was a teen therian once. neutral

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/241/572/6b4.jpg

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#16 2012-03-22 10:59:52

WerewolfLeaAnn

Did I hear something about werespace lulz? *giggles*

Okay, so I lead a small House (or Pack, depending on the definition) as it were now. I haven't been on the internet much since I met them mostly because while there is drama, I find there is less drama then I found online.

There is something just awesome about hanging around people like yourself, around people whom understand you.

"I feel the Change, back to a better day, the hair stands on the back of my neck, wildness is the preservation of the world, so seek the wolf in thyself!"- Metallica, "of wolf and man"

#17 2012-03-22 15:24:29

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

LeaAnn, weren't you in on that Werespace thing?  And weren't you in a pack with us over Skype?

#18 2012-03-22 22:17:16

WerewolfLeaAnn

Yes, which is why I find it so freaking amusing that you mentioned it. Yes, I was in on the werespace thing and I was in the skype pack for a while, but I was much much more immature at that time than I am now. Really I am surprised you must ask me such thing...

"I feel the Change, back to a better day, the hair stands on the back of my neck, wildness is the preservation of the world, so seek the wolf in thyself!"- Metallica, "of wolf and man"

#19 2012-03-24 01:56:13

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

It was a while ago, like over a year, and a pretty brief note at that...

#20 2012-03-27 19:44:34

WolfVanZandt
Website

I dunno. There are several things that can be called a pack. I usually talk about constellations and werehouses. To me a pack would be an extended family - I should think, living together.

On thing that seems completely alien to me is an "Internet pack". That just seems wrong.

#21 2012-03-28 00:58:18

WerewolfLeaAnn

Honestly, WolfVanZandt, it is wrong. After being with a pack, and even living with them I can not see how an internet pack could possibly work out. I mean, having a group of people like yourself that you can talk to and relate to is one thing, it's nice but that still isn't a pack. A pack is a family, where you genuinely love each and every member like your own birth family. Until I joined one I didn't understand but now I do... there is a connection with the pack members. I think that it even may be stronger then the ties of a birth family if the conditions are right.

For example, I lived with the pack I was with before for a while. That was the happiest time of my life, living with those like me, those who understand me.

#22 2012-03-28 20:26:23

WolfVanZandt
Website

Heh......

smile

The "constellation" thing comes from my sociological background and "werehouse" has been around quite awhile in the community and is still in use in some areas (in other words, I didn't come up with that one.)

#23 2012-03-28 23:10:48

WerewolfLeaAnn

Isn't a "werehouse" a House of Werewolves/therians? Because, I know that generally other types of Otherkin uses 'House' (My pack is actually called House lol)

but Somnia that's pretty funny haha

#24 2012-03-29 07:31:15

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

WolfVanZandt wrote:

On thing that seems completely alien to me is an "Internet pack". That just seems wrong.

Eh, I can see that.  Really it's just nice to have some people around who you can share things with, and when you don't have anyone in the immediate area, and you're really used to doing things over the internet, sometimes it's nicer to have something half-assed than nothing at all.

Also, a werehouse has always sounded like fun to me: you could just act weird and lick yourself while sitting on the windowsill all day, and no one would comment...
Unless you hogged the windowsill...
Or get things all slimy because everyone keeps licking them....
Or marked the wrong territory...
Or lick something that is apparently someone else's territory....

...I can see alot of things going wrong here....

#25 2012-03-29 18:13:41

WolfVanZandt
Website

Lots of things - aye.

The Internet can be a nice diversion - just not a pack - it sorta kills the empathic connections.

Board footer