The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-17 00:04:48

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Forum Fodder! - Random Topic about: Poly-Weres

Yes, that's right, another one!  It's Keynsian Economics: we have to inject more discussion into the board!  This is probably the last one I'll do for a while though, but honestly, it's just so much fun.  I'll remember this the next time I need to revive one of my own communities...  Anyway, let's get that Random button rolling!

Current_events/old - This is from when I was going to have a current events page on the Wiki.  I never implemented that idea, mainly because there were so many pages who could do it so much better.  It requires an actual commitment to work on a site regularly, and I wanted Therian.Wikia to be able to function with long periods of me not being able to devote much time to it. (I have other, more important things to do than edit a wiki on people with fuzzy butts every day...)  If anyone's interested in starting a series like this on the Wiki though, feel free to bug me.  I'm happy to host stuff like that...

Werewolf Café - Oh Hai, that's an interesting coincidence... I hit the page for the site I'm posting on... Random was probably the last editor too...

Poly-Were - Ok, this is an appropriate topic, even if it's not too controversial.

A "Poly-Were", for those unfamiliar with therian terminology, is a term for a therian with more than one theriotype. (even though "poly" would normally mean 3 or more)  This is kinda rare, but quite a few therians (including me) claim to have 2 theriotypes, and sometimes 3 or 4, or even 5 (that's pushing it though...).  There is speculation as to whether such therians are mistaken, or if some of them are lying because they can't pick which one's cooler.  So if you've ever wanted to talk about what you think causes polyweres, what they're like, what makes polyweres different, or whether they exist at all, then this thread is all about that!

LET THE DISCUSSION BEGIN!

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#2 2012-03-17 00:05:30

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Re: Forum Fodder! - Random Topic about: Poly-Weres

SherlawkDragon wrote:

whether they exist at all

Well, obviously I believe in this, as I claim to be one (Dragon and Raccoon), I do question whether some of the people who claim this are serious though.  It's really easy for someone who's already mistaken or fooling themselves to think that they have more than one theriotype.  When you factor in multiple totems and the fact that Daimons can have multiple forms, it quickly becomes an issue.  I also think it's possible for someone to think that they have two theriotypes because not all of their traits fit one animal, but they have one which they just haven't realized yet.

what they're like

Well, for me it's been different over the years.  See, I'm a bit of a contherian, meaning I'm always a bit animal, but I tend to notice that it comes up differently at different times.  for instance, sometimes my therianthropy manifests in a "raccoon" way, while others it manifests in a "dragon" way.

what you think causes polyweres

I think, for me at least, it's two different types of therianthropy.  See, my Raccoon side is this animalistic thing that influences my brain in one very clear way.  Meanwhile this dragon thing is in the back somewhere poking around at things. (Socrates, my Daimon, is also a dragon by the way, and I wonder what the influence there is)  Anyway, so the Dragon thing back there and the Raccoon thing go back and fourth.  For instance, typing seriously and trying to act intellectually, like right now, brings the dragon forward more, while acting silly and going out into the wilderness brings out the raccoon out more.  nowadays, when I pay attention to it, it's usually just a constant buzzing of raccoon.

Oh, and Socrates (who I mentioned up there) says "hi".  No wait, he says he says "Hi.", with capitalization and period.  You know what Socrates?  You wanna talk?  Ok...
Ahem.  Hello there everyone!  How are you doing?  I'm doing good, just sitting here in Raccoon's brain, talking faster then he can type.  Well, this is bugging him, so I'll be going now, goodbye!  Type type Raccoon, type type...
**** you pal, lawl

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#3 2012-03-17 09:52:05

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

You must know by now how I feel about polyweres, Sherlawk.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#4 2012-03-17 17:07:03

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

ShadyHowl wrote:

You must know by now how I feel about polyweres, Sherlawk.

Say it: especially if it's a dissenting opinion.  I want nothing BUT dissenting opinions. >:|

#5 2012-03-17 18:14:26

lupinealchemist

Doesn't cameo-shifting kinda fall into this category?

#6 2012-03-18 16:58:15

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

I think poly-wereism is either indulgence or confusion. If you feel like an animal, you feel like AN animal; as in, one in particular. The worst offenders are those who are 'a big cat, a wolf and also a bear' or some nonsense. It just looks like self-indulgent 'want my fingers in as many cool animal pies' as possible, or at least 'I don't know which I am so rather than work it out I'll just say both'.

SILLY.

</dissenting opinion>

#7 2012-03-19 02:26:43

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Well, yeah, like I said, I think alot of so called "poly-weres" are like that.

lupinealchemist wrote:

Doesn't cameo-shifting kinda fall into this category?

Not exactly: with Cameo Shifting, you aren't shifting into your theriotype.  That's what makes Cameo Shifting special.  It's like if I shifted into a deer-state: I can do it, but it's not my theriotype.

#8 2012-03-19 05:42:48

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

What distinguishes a 'true' poly-were, then, in your opinion?

#9 2012-03-20 14:21:04

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Well, a "true" Poly-Were is someone who actually has a theriotypical connection to more than one animal.  Simple as that.  All I'm saying is that not everyone who says they're a polywere is one: they may be confused, fooling themselves, or perhaps lying. (I tend to avoid the "lying" argument, I don't see the advantage that it would give them...)

#10 2012-03-27 19:48:03

WolfVanZandt
Website

I've just been around too many people in real life that convince me that they have the characteristics of several animals to back up their contention that they're polyweres.

Since nobody actually knows what a Therian is or how one works, it's sorta hard to be dogmatic about whether polywereism is "real" or not.

#11 2012-03-27 20:55:45

The Wolf Pen
Behemoth
Website

But wouldn't the logical step from having traits from more than animal be either "I'm a hybrid" or "I'm some animal that has traits of more than one other animal"? I mean, look at the platypus. (I know, dumb example, but I've never even heard of poly-weres 'til now.)

I have a blog about all things werewolf! View it at http://behemoth-book.blogspot.com/ !

#12 2012-03-28 20:31:28

WolfVanZandt
Website

There are some Therians who have a side that seems to be a mixture of different nonhuman types, but there are also those who have multiple sides of different types. Now, I still tend to think that only one of those "sides" are "real" and the others are constructs based on specific needs but that might be from the fact that my therianthropy was quite definitely a case of multiple personalities until my sides integrated back in 1978. The only thing left is the wolf-side and I'm now a contherianthrope. But I did have 9 alters with 4 different theriotypes (not counting the human sides)

#13 2012-03-28 23:21:19

WerewolfLeaAnn

I have an odd belief with this one. I believe that you can only be one spirit, but you can have connections. A "connection"  in the sense I speak of can cause you to feel like you are that being but yet they are a totally different being then you are, they are just extremely connected to your spirit. Whereas a therioside is you. Correct me if there is a more ...'proper' or more widely accepted term for this.

"I feel the Change, back to a better day, the hair stands on the back of my neck, wildness is the preservation of the world, so seek the wolf in thyself!"- Metallica, "of wolf and man"

Board footer