The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-18 11:02:47

White Wolf
Dreamer of the East [Moderator]
Website

Therian Census

***Important note: I know this isn't a therian message board, so if you don't consider yourself a therian or are uncertain about it (completely fine), please ignore this thread. I'm just posting this here because I do know that there are some folks here that don't regularly visit other sites and this is meant to be as comprehensive as possible. Gracias!***

Those of you who visit Werelist have probably seen me there before and noticed the "therian census" I started a couple months back. So far it's been hugely successful, with over 100 responses, and in an attempt to expand just beyond that one site and to reach therians who may not be frequent Werelist visitors, I'm now reposting it here and on a few other therian-geared boards. If you've already taken the survey on one site, however, please do not take it again.

The purpose of the census is quite simple:

For the three or four years I've been a part of the therian community I've heard other therians talk about how certain things were common in the community and I've often wondered just how they knew you know? I mean, I've certainly noticed various trends over time as well, but without any real count it's impossible. That's why I decided to create a short (10 question) survey to act as a bit of a therian census. I think it's a really exciting idea and it's one that I hope to redo every year. Not only will it provide us with an accurate portrayal of the current community, but in the future it should tell us how it continues to evolve.

Please note that this is for purely academic reasons in accordance with the rules of the board. To make it clear, absolutely none of the specifics about anything will be released. It's impossible for me to tell who responded with what answers, and only the demographics will be released, none of the individual reports. Also I should note that all of the questions are on a volunteer-only basis and most are not required to complete the survey if you wish to do it.

If you have any comments or concerns or just want to sound off about the idea, let me know here!

Here's the link to the survey: SEE UPDATED LINK IN POST BELOW

Thank you so much for participating and helping us learn more about ourselves! I'm planning on keeping the survey open for about another month and a half, and then posting the results in early June.

Nos totus take diversus semita ut a similis fortuna per sapientia, vires, quod fides in divinus nostrum maioribus socius.

#2 2012-04-18 16:41:15

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Re: Therian Census

Oh boy!  I love scientific studies on Therians! *takes the survey*

So I hope I did it right: on the favorite animal part I was just like "uh... I dunno... Is that a cool animal?" and checked almost half of them.  By the way, you may want to look at a taxonomy table if you do this again, 'cause you lumped animals together in ways that differed from genetics.
Also, the gender part: alot of therians don't attribute genders to their theriotypes.  You also forgot that "male" and "female" aren't the only genders.
Also, you forgot Deism as a religion, and I had to feel all WEIRD when I put "other" and had to write it in.
You also forgot Neurological disorders, of which there are several sub-classifications that you'd probably do well to look into.  Mainly, I hear "Autism" and "ADD" alot, and I wonder which ones would show up there...

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#3 2012-04-19 13:38:02

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Done, also a very neat idea! We need more accumulation of data about therians. Perhaps this survey could lead on to other tests to finally pin down the traits we seem to have in common with one another; perhaps it will lead to us being able to draw interesting genetic or behavioural links ^_^

</nerdyexcitement>

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#4 2012-04-19 16:50:39

White Wolf
Website

****Really, really important update.***

I just checked and we hit 100 responses sometime yesterday. Unfortunately Surveymonkey only allows you to collect up to 100 responses without paying.

Soooooo, to get around this I just created a "new" survey which is an exact copy of the other to finish collecting responses the next month or so. If you responded since Wednesday 4/18, if you wouldn't mind retaking the census on the new link and everyone who helped me by placing the link at other places (like Werespace) if you could update it with the new link I would be beyond appreciative.

I'm going to go ahead and close the other poll so it doesn't keep collecting responses I won't be able to be accumulated.

Here's the updated link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6G53ZQN

Nos totus take diversus semita ut a similis fortuna per sapientia, vires, quod fides in divinus nostrum maioribus socius.

#5 2012-04-20 09:12:13

WerewolfLeaAnn

It's a good thing I didn't take it on Werespace... I saw it but didn't bother taking it then but decided to this time.

"I feel the Change, back to a better day, the hair stands on the back of my neck, wildness is the preservation of the world, so seek the wolf in thyself!"- Metallica, "of wolf and man"

#6 2012-04-20 10:53:59

lupinealchemist

Check.

#7 2012-04-21 02:03:22

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

...Did I count in that "the 18th" thing?
Also, you know you can use Google Docs too, right?

Edit: Filled it out anyway...
Also: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/emb … M05IQnc6MQ

Edit: Look at what I can do with this
Formatted log of responses - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub … utput=html
Calculated number of responses - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub … utput=html
Count of responses to age questions - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub … utput=html

See?  It's not much work to get some data-mining going on this, which is what you want to do.

Last edited by SherlawkDragon (2012-04-21 22:47:22)

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#8 2012-04-22 09:16:56

White Wolf
Website

Thanks everyone!

Hey, I had no idea you could do that on Google Docs! Wow... that really makes things easier. Thanks for telling me about that Sherlawk, without a doubt I'm going to have to use that next time. That'll be farrrrrrrrr better than surveymonkey. I can't switch over for this one because there's already been about 120 responses since I opened it back in February, but there is no question that I'll use that next year. That'll also allow me to put more questions and options like you said in your first post.

How have you been btw?

#9 2012-04-22 18:16:13

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

You want to come work with me on it?  I've actually gotten a bit into it, and I'd like to develop the project a little.  You should bug me over Skype...

#10 2012-04-23 08:23:41

BlackWolfMarwood

May or may not want to have names listed by their results. Shared aliases on websites could let Google spiders share those results with the real world. Some may not want their orientation published for Google to see.

#11 2012-04-24 21:31:20

Void161

Census taken. Like a boss.

#12 2012-04-26 01:28:19

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Marwolf wrote:

May or may not want to have names listed by their results. Shared aliases on websites could let Google spiders share those results with the real world. Some may not want their orientation published for Google to see.

1) Don't use your real name to respond.
2) if you're worried about your screen name, just leave it blank like it says.

#13 2012-04-27 10:43:24

ShadowTrail

Filled both form, Sherlawks and other one

Few note for Sherlawk >
widen the result table a bit, cos some response are not visible at all
add missing questions from last part of survey (maybe without dissabilities, cos who cares)
you forget to add P-Shift question big_smile
There should be question about totem/spirit guides? Why only daemons?
There should be question if person is a otherkin (what about all this elves, also *dragon* is not really a therioype)

Occult an magic question is unclear, if a person see auras oe work with energy, what should they choose? occult for me is something like demon summoning and tarot cards
i have some other skill i reconsider "paranormal" but without that option i put it in "magic, maybe"
I completly dont know whats a *Therian-Specific Religious Group*? Therian Temple followers? Then who even will knew about that in first place?

Finally: Where's My Sammich?

btw White Wolf are you going to rafine and publish your data? how many therians take survey till now?

#14 2012-04-28 02:59:11

WolfVanZandt
Website

Why isn't "dragon" really a theriotype?

#15 2012-04-29 19:00:29

Siverwolf

OK. 
Survey taken.

Siverwolf.

Last edited by Siverwolf (2012-04-29 19:01:53)

Homo - Lycanthropus

#16 2012-05-04 01:54:39

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

ShadowTrail wrote:

widen the result table a bit, cos some response are not visible at all

That's not the width, that's a programatically generated table.  I need to update it.

add missing questions from last part of survey (maybe without dissabilities, cos who cares)

Which ones did I miss?

you forget to add P-Shift question :D

That would be silly.

There should be question about totem/spirit guides? Why only daemons?
There should be question if person is a otherkin

K, I'll add those...

(what about all this elves, also *dragon* is not really a therioype)

I think that's more a matter of which community you're bringing it to...

Occult an magic question is unclear

It's not unclear: if you "don't know what that is", then the answer is obviously "no".

if a person see auras oe work with energy, what should they choose?

Go read the question again: it's not about what you do, it's about who you associate with.  It asks "Are you a member of the occult community", not "do you practice occult stuff". (if it doesn't then I'll go back and clarify next time I look at it...)

i have some other skill i reconsider "paranormal" but without that option i put it in "magic, maybe"

That's why that option is there.

I completly dont know whats a *Therian-Specific Religious Group*? Therian Temple followers? Then who even will knew about that in first place?

Once again, if you don't know, the answer is no.  There are a few of those around at any one time, and you'd know if you were a member of one or not.

Finally: Where's My Sammich?

I never promised one.

btw White Wolf are you going to rafine and publish your data? how many therians take survey till now?

I bet he is, but I don't know.  Also, over 100 therians have taken it, as he said when he posted the new one after the survey site locked him out.

#17 2012-07-10 22:05:19

yotin

Census taken lol

I host all my websites with these guys: www.GreatCanadianHost.com
I liek trains.

#18 2012-10-03 17:45:41

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

I took the census smile

"It is better to be hated for what you are, than loved for what you are not."
                                                                                          -Andre Gide

Board footer