The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-05 17:16:49

WolfVanZandt
Website

Shamanism

I've often been asked on boards to comment on various aspects of shamanism, being a practicing shaman, but it's often difficult to collect my thoughts for posting on a forum. So I've posted the first half of a page on shamanism on the Therian Timeline. If you're interested, take a look and let me know what you think here - I don't mind criticism.

Here's a link:

http://theriantimeline.com/shamanism_commentaries

I also have soundfiles for folks who are more comfortable hearing than reading.

#2 2013-01-06 19:58:04

Siverwolf

Re: Shamanism

That' really interesting stuff there, Wolf.  I see you have updated!  I like the "stuff files" section.

I've had many strange things like that happen to me.  I don't really understand it nor do I know exactly know how to control it, the hallucenigenic visions, dreams, or when hearing or feeling things that others may not.  So I've always assumed that I'm a little bit scrizo.  They happen on there own, and unexpectivly at random. 
It's not as prominent as it use to be since I got married and moved to a new location in Glen Alpine.  I think it's because of where I grew up the location there was very haunted.  And now where I am living nothing much happens around here.  But I so often have reoccuring dreams of the place where I grew up, of the woods and creeks where I played at.  In the form of a wolf I rome the area again.  Everything is like it use to be, very pleasent.  Just fond memories I guess.

I became aquinted the death and dying when I was 4 yrs old when I was with my mother and saw her die.  This is my first memory and awakening to the other side or what I think may have been to shamanism.  I guess real life experiences are the best teachers of reality.
I didn't know what was the matter or what death was about, but I found out early on. 
The strange thing that happen that night was that I was in my baby pen.  I couldn't get out.  But somehow I had a vision or dream that I was in bed with my mom.  I was cold and woke up and notice that the covers and sheets had been pulled off the bed.  I crawled across the bed and saw my mom on the floor wraped up in the sheets and her face down on the floor.  I crawled down to her and started to shake her to tell her to wake up.  She did not wake up!  Then I got this overwhelming feeling that something was wrong and I started to cry loudly.  My dad came in and said whats wrong?  I was in my crib again. 
Now it's as if somehow a part of me projected itself as if I was in bed but I was not according to my family.
I've had this "projection" thing happen to me many, many times.

Siverwolf.

Last edited by Siverwolf (2013-01-06 21:10:28)

Homo - Lycanthropus

#3 2013-01-06 21:05:47

lupinealchemist

I don't know if this is relevant, but I have dreams about my hometown but features and landmarks are altered and there are usually wolves watching from the outskirts or dwell in sanctuary pens. There are also times especially in the daytime I rest and I am dreaming yet fully aware of what you refer to the realtime and can wake at will. What do you think?

#4 2013-01-07 00:23:10

WolfVanZandt
Website

I don't know. Dreams can be just dreams or the can be shamanic journeys - especially lucid and waking dreams.

Thanks, Siver. I've been around you enough that your experiences don't much surprise me. I'm surprised you haven't had more experiences up in those hills, though. They seemed sorta thin to me.

Glad you liked the stuff files. I'll be adding a Belgian meal later this month.

#5 2013-01-07 01:52:06

Moonlit Hunter

I found it to be an interesting read.

Without going into details, my childhood history and experiences led me to respond by very forcefully closing myself off to anything resembling shamanic experiences - to the best of my ability. I started doing that when I was seventeen. It has had some... rather interesting results.

That being said, I still continue to have very vivid and compelling dreams when I am asleep. I likely will never know how much of those are just dreams or how much may be something more.

There are times when I feel like something is missing, but for the most part I am at peace with myself. I really wouldn't want to go back to living like I was before, though I am very drawn to hearing other peoples' accounts of stuff like this.

#6 2013-01-07 11:55:35

Siverwolf

Ok, here is something you all might want to try sometime to see how shamanic your dreams are. 

Whenever you dream of a place that is familiar to you, when you wake up, go to that place and see what you find or learn from it.  Look around and "feel" for it.  You have to "feel" your enviroment.

You will be surprised at what you discover.

If you dream of an unfamiliar place, then perhaps sometime when you do find it you will get a "dajahvu" feeling of familiarity.

Siverwolf.

Last edited by Siverwolf (2013-01-07 11:58:54)

Homo - Lycanthropus

#7 2013-01-07 16:04:09

Moonlit Hunter

Siverwolf wrote:

Ok, here is something you all might want to try sometime to see how shamanic your dreams are. 

Whenever you dream of a place that is familiar to you, when you wake up, go to that place and see what you find or learn from it.  Look around and "feel" for it.  You have to "feel" your enviroment.

Really not possible in my case, at least about 90% of the time. When I dream about places with which I am familiar, usually it is a place to which I do not have current access. A prime example would be a field near the house where I grew up. It would be about a 20 hour drive to get there, and I haven't got the transportation for that. I've actually been trying to make a visit there for about the past fourteen years... It just isn't happening so far.

Aside from places that are not readily accessible to me, the other very small percentage of my dreams that involve places that I know and have been before, usually I am physically at that place when the dream happens. Like if I am snoozing on my break when I am at work, or else in the immediate vicinity of my house, if I am staying over at a friend's house, ect. This is not terribly common, though. Usually the settings of my dreams are completely unfamiliar to me.

If you dream of an unfamiliar place, then perhaps sometime when you do find it you will get a "dajahvu" feeling of familiarity.

This does happen to me on a fairly regular basis, but I don't think that this alone is enough to say, "That must have been more than just a dream!" Because the basic blue prints of life in general are already there in my mind, and there are only so many different types of places (assuming one has not ever left the US, which I have not). Example: After you've been to a dozen or so malls, it seems likely one could dream of a mall that one has never been to, then be reminded of it when visiting an unfamiliar mall that is so similar to the one in the dream as to be uncanny.

#8 2013-01-07 18:21:13

WolfVanZandt
Website

That's good tips, Siver, when possible. Another thing I've found is that shamanic dreams often involve places that are visited by more than one person.

#9 2013-01-07 18:23:18

Siverwolf

Yeah Moonlit, for me, I almost never dream of anything about where I am living at now.  It's usually always in another location-driving distance- or my childhood home.

Most recently like last week, I dreamed of walking up a path in the woods near a river.  Now this is a trail I have seen before so it's familiar to me but I have never hiked it.  So I might assume that I dreamed it just because of curiosity or there is something there that needs attention to or to be discovered.

Siverwolf.

Homo - Lycanthropus

#10 2013-01-08 01:02:43

Moonlit Hunter

Siverwolf wrote:

Most recently like last week, I dreamed of walking up a path in the woods near a river.  Now this is a trail I have seen before so it's familiar to me but I have never hiked it.  So I might assume that I dreamed it just because of curiosity or there is something there that needs attention to or to be discovered.

So have you gone out there and hiked it since your dream, or are you making plans to do so?

#11 2013-01-08 12:07:31

lupinealchemist

I remember locations in my dreams but I haven't explored them yet, don't know if whatever it is is still there.

#12 2013-01-09 07:52:39

Siverwolf

Moonlit Hunter wrote:

Siverwolf wrote:

So have you gone out there and hiked it since your dream, or are you making plans to do so?

No, I haven't been there yet.  It's about a mile or two from my house and I haven't had the time to do any exploring.  I prefer to go to those kinds of places immediately after or soon after or else I might miss something that was there and it may not be ther now.

Siverwolf.

Homo - Lycanthropus

#13 2013-02-17 17:36:23

WolfVanZandt
Website

I've finished the Shamanism Commentaries and, if you're interested in them, be sure and check out the works on shamanism in the bibliography. I heartily recommend the works by Walsh and Harner (though Harner gets a little too New Agey for me.)

I'll be adding some works on the religious facets of therianthropy soon, including a recorded discussion with Dr. Gregory Reece.

Board footer