The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-30 10:14:50

Echi

Conflicted About Terminology

(sorry for my absence, I've had a lot of school to deal with)

I'm getting a little tired of media portrayal of therianthropes/weres. I'm really considering to stop using "therianthrope" and to just go by "werewolf". My reasoning: I heard some kids at school discussing the Logo documentary and it just pisses me off. I don't want to be associated with the media portrayal of people who use "therianthrope" since it'd make it so that I couldn't be taken too seriously if anyone ever finds out (like anyone takes it seriously when they find out anyways).

However, using "werewolf" is a bad idea as well because of the mainstream image that comes to mind when someone says "werewolf", I'm not so sure that I want to be associated with that because I don't shapeshift, at least not physically. Also, the teen wolves also refer to themselves as therianthropes and/or werewolves (obivously) but have no clue what it means at all. So, does anyone know any terms that describe therianthropy without being too mainstream?

(I am not trying to be a hipster, guys, I just don't want to be associated with the way media portrays therianthropy).

Last edited by Echi (2013-09-30 10:35:05)

“There is a beast in man that should be exercised, not exorcised†~ Anton LaVey

#2 2013-09-30 22:09:24

WolfVanZandt
Website

Re: Conflicted About Terminology

In fact, medieval werewolves didn't physically shapeshift either. They did in the fictions such as the Lay of Bisclavret and the story of William of Palerne but when you get to the actual accounts of werewolves by werewolves (like Theiss) and the people who actually knew them (like the Norse who wrote the accounts of Berserkers), they didn't physically change. I never rejected the "Were" terminology and some of the people who originated it now know why. By moving away from the traditional terms, it opened a door for whoever wants to fantasize that they're a Werewolf - and that's obviously a very provocative lure for folks that want to be something other than what they are.

Yes, Mainstreamers think about Lon Chaney when they think of Werewolves but "Were" is where our heritage lies - it's our roots and it's honorable roots. Why change how we refer to ourselves instead of changing the Mainstream cultures view of us. Werewolves are becoming more and more acceptable in fiction and I suspect it's because modern writers are becoming familiar with our culture - I'm seeing more and more in werewolf fiction that looks like real Were culture. It's almost always a mistake to try to change yourself to escape others' irrational biases.

Board footer