The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-24 10:53:31

The Busboy
Administrator

Author Ruth Glick (who writes under the pen name of Rebecca York)

Welcome Ruth! 

Congratualtions on the nomination of your book "Crimson Moon" for best werewolf romance book in the Romatic Times 2005 Review's Choice award category!

Just so everyone here knows, Ruth writes under the pen name of "Rebecca York" so to find her books, please look for her author name "Rebecca York" on her books.

Ruth wrote a number of werewolf related books:

"Killing Moon"

"Witching Moon"

"Crimson Moon"

Ruth also has a book titled "Edge of the Moon" which has a werewolf as a secondary character. 

(Special note: Ruth will have a book titled "Full Moon" (out in February) which is a reprint of her two books titled "Killing Moon" and "Edge of the Moon" combined into one book) 

There is also an anthology book titled "Cravings" with her werewolf novella titled "Burning Moon" in it.

Please check out Ruth's website at www.rebeccayork.com

#2 2006-01-24 10:58:32

The Busboy
Administrator

Re: Author Ruth Glick (who writes under the pen name of Rebecca York)

By the way, Ruth is running a contest on her site right now (the contest drawing is on March 2nd), please check www.rebeccayork.com for details before then.

#3 2006-01-24 13:53:03

The Busboy
Administrator

Ruth, can you tell us how you got into werewolf books and what attracted you to them? How did you fall into a werewolf series when you initially intended to write one werewolf book? Is your upcoming book "Shadow of the Moon" going to be another werewolf book? Will it be out in June?

#4 2006-01-24 17:23:11

JamieD

I have all of those!! But ya'll probably figured that out!! ROFLMAO!!!  Oh yes please give us a little teaser about "Shadow of the Moon"!!

ask not for whom the bell tolls....it tolls for thee.

#5 2006-01-25 14:52:14

Rebecca York
Website

The Busboy wrote:

Ruth, can you tell us how you got into werewolf books and what attracted you to them? How did you fall into a werewolf series when you initially intended to write one werewolf book? Is your upcoming book "Shadow of the Moon" going to be another werewolf book? Will it be out in June?

So how does a nice lady like me get into werewolves?

As a teenager, I was a heavy SF/fantasy reader.  One book that really stuck with me was that classic werewolf story, DARKER THAN YOU THINK, by Jack Williamson.  I loved the story.  In fact, Williamson made me want to BE a werewolf.

Later I read and loved another werewolf book, THE WOLF’S HOUR, by Robert McCammon. 

When I started contemplating KILLING MOON, paranormal was very much out–at least in the romantic suspense circles where I normally traveled.  But I started thinking about a book with a werewolf detective who used his wolf senses to solve crimes.  Even though I doubted I could sell the story, it simply wouldn't let me go. Finally a friend told me very bluntly that she was tired of hearing me talk about the idea. So I should either write it or shut up. I accepted the challenge and started working on what became KILLING MOON.

In my books, the werewolves are the good guys.  There were many different directions in which I could have taken my first story, but I stuck with what I love, romantic suspense.  I’ve sold for years to Harlequin Intrigue on proposal, but I was pretty sure that to sell single-title paranormal romantic suspense, I'd have to write the whole book, not just do a proposal. So I worked on KILLING MOON around my Intrigue schedule.  Editor Cindy Hwang at Berkley loved the story and asked me for more werewolf books. That's how I found myself with a werewolf series that I hadn't planned for.

In addition to the four Moon books, a novella in the series, BURNING MOON, was part of an anthology called CRAVINGS, with Laurell K. Hamilton and two other authors.  CRIMSON MOON, the fourth book in the "trilogy," was out in January.   And SHADOW OF THE MOON will be out in June.  I’m writing a sixth werewolf book now.  But I don’t want to be known only as "the werewolf lady."  Last August I had a book out called BEYOND CONTROL.  It’s about telepaths who develop their talents after they begin to link sexually.  It’s got all the intensity of my werewolf books, but the paranormal element is different.

And for something else different, the werewolf hero and human heroine in SHADOW OF THE MOON are investigating a murder in an S&M club in Washington, D.C.

Later, I’ll tell you how I made up my own "werewolf rules."  For example, in my universe, there are only male werewolves who must find a human female to be their lifemate.

Ruth Glick (writing as Rebecca York)  **  http://www.rebeccayork.com
BEYOND CONTROL, Berkley, 8/05; SHADOW OF THE MOON, Berkley, 6/06

#6 2006-01-25 18:54:51

The Busboy
Administrator

Ruth, welcome to the site!  Thank you so much for your posting which gives such great insight into your books and interests!  That's cool that you were a big sci-fi reader.  Glad to hear that you got to a write your "Killing Moon" book that you really wanted to do (is that one a personal favorite of yours?).  As you can probably tell, there are a lot of big werewolf fans on the site here too.  Looking forward to your next post, thank you!

#7 2006-01-25 19:44:26

The Busboy
Administrator

Ruth's book titled "Shadow of the Moon" (under her pen name "Rebecca York" and the 5th book in the Rebecca York's Moon series) will be out on June 6, 2006.

#8 2006-01-25 22:04:53

Rebecca York
Website

Hi.  And thanks for the congratulations.
KILLING MOON is one of my favorites because Ross Marshall is my first werewolf.  I still have a really soft spot for him.  He changed the dynamics of the Marshall family.  And I try to use him as a secondary character in every book.

I couldn't stand the idea of Ross being subservient to anyone, so I invented a werewolf society where they are all Alpha males.  That means they fight for dominance.  But Ross has succeeded in getting his brothers and his cousins to work together when necessary.  For short periods of time, anyway.

When I wrote KILLING MOON, I had to figure out what made a werewolf.  I decided it was genetic.  My werewolves have an extra chromosome.  It's sex linked, so any girl baby with the chromosome dies at birth.  And half the boys die when they change to wolf form for the first time at puberty. 

It's kind of a grim heritage, but I've solved some of these problems by the end of KILLING MOON.

Ross's father dominated the family like a tyrant.  Ross called him "the big bad wolf."  He's determined not to follow the same path. 

I have the first chapter of SHADOW OF THE MOON in the "Sneak Previews" on my web site.  In each book, I try to think of a good occupation for a werewolf.  Lance Marshall is an investigative journalist thinking about doing a book on the Castle, a mysterious D. C. S&M club.  His investigation leads him to a woman, Savannah Carpenter, whose sister was a slave at the club.  The sister is now in the hospital fighting for her life.   Lance and Savannah join forces as they investigate the Castle.  But have they bitten off more than they can chew?  (Ha Ha)

Ruth

#9 2006-01-26 09:15:08

The Busboy
Administrator

Rebecca York wrote:

I have the first chapter of SHADOW OF THE MOON in the "Sneak Previews" on my web site.  In each book, I try to think of a good occupation for a werewolf.  Lance Marshall is an investigative journalist thinking about doing a book on the Castle, a mysterious D. C. S&M club.  His investigation leads him to a woman, Savannah Carpenter, whose sister was a slave at the club.  The sister is now in the hospital fighting for her life.   Lance and Savannah join forces as they investigate the Castle.  But have they bitten off more than they can chew?  (Ha Ha)

Ruth

Hey everyone: To find the sneak preview of the upcoming werewolf book "Shadow of the Moon" go to www.rebeccayork.com and scroll down to the bottom and click on the "Sneak Preview" link and that will take you to the page where you can click and read the first chapter of "Shadow of the Moon" (you'll also find you can read the first chapter of another upcoming "non-werewolf" book titled "The Secret Night").

#10 2006-01-26 09:21:47

The Busboy
Administrator

Ruth, great post, thank you for telling us about your characters and giving us insight into how you wrote them, it's fascinating to hear about how you created the werewolf society in your books, really cool.  What is your writing schedule like?  How many hours a week do you write?  Do you write during the day, afternoon or evening?  Do you play certain kinds of music when you write or do you need complete silence?

#11 2006-01-26 11:37:10

Rebecca York
Website

<Ruth, great post, thank you for telling us about your characters and giving us insight into how you wrote them, it's fascinating to hear about how you created the werewolf society in your books, really cool.  What is your writing schedule like?  How many hours a week do you write?  Do you write during the day, afternoon or evening?  Do you play certain kinds of music when you write or do you need complete silence?>

I spend most of every day sitting at the computer.  I'm supposed to be writing, but I also read and answer e-mail.  And I've obviously checked in here!

I try to write 10 pages a day.  I might get that done by early afternoon.  Or I might still be sitting at the computer at 10 in the evening, trying to finish.

No, I don't listen to certain music.  I don't need music to set the mood.  When I get into the story, I'm back in werewolf land.

I usually work on two books at once.  I try to write a draft of one as fast as I can.  Then I go back to a previous book.  When I do that, it's like someone else wrote it, so I can get a pretty good editorial perspective.  At the moment, I'm working on a detailed proposal.  When I turn it in to my agent, I'll go back to NEW MOON--the current werewolf book.  The title will probably change, though.

I was going to call CRIMSON MOON Rogue Moon (in homage to Algis Budries--probably spelled wrong.)  The hero's a thief, so it would have fit really well.  But Berkley changed it.

Ruth

#12 2006-01-26 20:08:51

The Busboy
Administrator

You sound like you are very disciplined with your writing.  O.k., so you make yourself write 10 pages a day and it can take you half a day or a whole day.  I also find it impressive that you work on two books at a time.  I know that isn't uncommon for a writer to do, but with the depth of the characters and the length of the story, it seems like it must be kinda hard to do.  How long did it take you to get your first book published?  Do you have a personal favorite book that is extra special to you?  If so, is it "Killing Moon" by any chance?  Also, do you do book signings at all?

#13 2006-01-29 15:23:42

Rebecca York
Website

Y<ou sound like you are very disciplined with your writing.  O.k., so you make yourself write 10 pages a day and it can take you half a day or a whole day.  I also find it impressive that you work on two books at a time.  I know that isn't uncommon for a writer to do, but with the depth of the characters and the length of the story, it seems like it must be kinda hard to do.  How long did it take you to get your first book published?  Do you have a personal favorite book that is extra special to you?  If so, is it "Killing Moon" by any chance?  Also, do you do book signings at all?>

Yes, I'm pretty disciplined about my work.  I usually don't try to write one book in the morning and another one in the afternoon.  So whatever I'm working on, I'm totally into it for the weeks or months I'm writing it.

I began my writing career when I was a stay at home mom with two small children.  My first sales were feature articles for my local newspaper--which they bought for $10 each.

At the time, the idea of sitting down to write a novel would have been too intimidating.  I had written hundreds of articles for The Columbia Flier  and then The Washington Post, The Baltimore Sun, Essence Magazine, and other publications before I ever thought about a longer work.

While I was getting a solid background in nonfiction, I started taking a class at my local community college that was run as a writing seminar. Participants brought what they were working on and read it--articles, chapters of books, poems, essays.  I learned a lot  about novel writing by listening to the chapters and participating in the critiques, and since I had always wanted to write fiction, the class made me long to start my own novel. Because my main reading as a teenager was science fiction, mystery, and suspense, I started with what I knew.  And since I was still worried about  length, I decided to try a juvenile science fiction novel (40,000 words).
I read my chapters in class, got feedback, and learned how many more skills it takes to write fiction than  non-fiction. About a year later, I decided I'd absorbed everything I could from the teacher and formed my own critique group where writers could bring their works in progress and get feedback. (Twenty years later, we're still meeting--with a number of the same people and some newcomers.)

I polished up my first novel and sent it off to publishers of juvenile fiction and got four rejections. An editor at Scholastic held the book for nine months and  finally wrote me a two-page letter telling me everything that was wrong with  my book. But I knew it was a "good" rejection, because she’d taken the time to read my work and make suggestions. I made the revisions she requested and sold the book. When I saw the contract, I decided there was no way I could deal with it intelligently--so I got an agent.

Yes, KILLING MOON is one of my favorites.  Also, NOWHERE MAN, a story about a clone being groomed for a suicide mission by the army.

I do book signings occassionally--most often at conferences.
Ruth

#14 2006-01-30 19:14:16

The Busboy
Administrator

Ruth, thank you so much for your post, it's so cool about how you started writing.  So you were a journalist first (and for some impressive publications I might add, very cool).  Sounds like you have fun with and really enjoy writing too.  How are dead-lines for you?  Seems like you would be used to them (working with newspapers and magazines in the past and now with writing 10 pages a day), so are your dead-lines pretty easy to meet then?  How many conferences do you go to in a year?  What are those like?  Very cool that you posted about how you took the writing class at your community college and that you've had a critique group for 20 years since, that's very, very cool.  You must have a great group of Friends from that now.  Sounds like you are really enjoying what you do, that's really great to hear.

#15 2006-02-01 01:16:22

JamieD

are there any particular seminars on improving writing skills that you would reccommend? When you are writing at your computer do you use any specials formats? BTW, I too have a soft spot for Ross....RAWWWWRRRRR!!!!  big_smile

#16 2006-02-01 07:49:02

BlueEyesWolf

Down, girl...

#17 2006-02-04 23:31:53

Rebecca York
Website

<are there any particular seminars on improving writing skills that you would reccommend? When you are writing at your computer do you use any specials formats? BTW, I too have a soft spot for Ross....RAWWWWRRRRR!!!!  >

I recommend RWA (Romance Writers' of America) because they give a lot of help to writers learning the craft.  My critique group has worked very well for me, too.  But you have to find a group of people you trust, and they have to understand genre writing to be able to critique your work effectively.  If there are writers' organizations in your area, you might find a group through them.  The key to a successful critique group is focusing on improving each others writing--not showing off how much we know.  In my group, our goal is to make the work publishable.  And to suggest markets and strategies.  We might read chapters or scenes.  Or we might work on somebody's plot.  Or we might talk about markets.

Formats?
Well, I write in Word Perfect.  I'm used to it, and I don't want to give it up.  A lot of writers I know use it.  But you still have to have Word, because when you e-mail an attachment to an editor, they want to deal with it in Word.  (sigh.)  And when you read attachments coming from edtiors or writing groups, they are usually in Word. 

Ruth

#18 2006-02-04 23:45:35

Rebecca York
Website

<So you were a journalist first (and for some impressive publications I might add, very cool).  Sounds like you have fun with and really enjoy writing too.  How are dead-lines for you?  Seems like you would be used to them (working with newspapers and magazines in the past and now with writing 10 pages a day), so are your dead-lines pretty easy to meet then?  How many conferences do you go to in a year?  What are those like?  >

My deadlines are hard to meet because I'm writing so many books a year.  It's hard for me to say "no" so I'm forced to work most of the time.  Right now I have three Berkley books under contract.  I have to write a novella for Berkley, then go back to the present novel.  Then write a novel for Harlequin Intrigue.  I just got the proposal for that one accepted. (I turned in the proposal a month late.)  The story is  about a computer guy who opens a magic box and finds that an ancient warrior has invaded his mind.  It's going to be fun. 

Conferences?  I usually go to three or four.  I go to small conferences if I'm invited to speak.  I always go to RWA.  There I usually speak, but I go primarily to see my editors and agent and friends who don't live near me.  I also go to my local chapter's conference, and I do attend most of the sessions, since they always have good speakers.  If I'm in town, I'll also go to Balticon. 

I got some nice news today.  Paranormalromance.org announced the finalists for the Pearl Award.  I'm in an anthology called The Journey Home (Imajinn Books) that was nominated for best anthology.  And my story in the anthology, "A Hero's Welcome" was nominated for best short story or novella.  I'm also in another anthology that was nominated, What Dreams May Come.  So that was a nice surprise today.

Ruth

#19 2006-02-07 07:27:13

JamieD

Congrats!! I do have What Dreams May Come but I'll have to check out (In my case buy) The Journey Home!! big_smile Gee my book list grows again...big_smile

#20 2006-02-07 09:08:36

The Busboy
Administrator

Ruth, congratulations on your Pearl Award nomination for best anthology (for the anthology containing your story titled "A Hero's Welcome") that's so awesome!  Congratulations!

#21 2006-02-07 09:13:30

The Busboy
Administrator

Ruth, it sounds like you write A LOT, and sounds like you are a very busy person too with all these upcoming books.  Is it a hard job to be a writer under contract?  I mean it seems like it is really not a "nine to five" typical type of job and it seems like it would take a lot of concentration, discipline and dedication, plus the fact that you probably have to really enjoy what you're writing about to be able to keep the motivation going.  It's so interesting what you do, and really, really impressive.

#22 2006-02-07 16:40:54

Rebecca York
Website

Thanks for the congratulations.

Some people have trouble working under contract.  It feels like an obligation to them, and they start worrying about what they've taken on.   But I like it because I know somebody has already bought the book.  In fact, when I sign the contract, I get part of the advance. 

But yes, it keeps me pretty busy.  And sometimes when I have too much that has to be done in a short period, I get worried about it.

Ruth

#23 2006-02-07 18:54:20

The Busboy
Administrator

Yeah, I hear you on that and I can imagine that if there is too much work coming in, then that could be a bit stressful.  I am really amazed by how many books you wrote, by the way, obviously you are very disciplined and have it down to a science.  O.k., I have to ask this fun question of you: have you ever seen the movie "Romancing the Stone?"  If so, what did you think about it? (especially with your line of work, I just have to hear your thoughts on it)

#24 2006-02-14 23:34:58

Rebecca York
Website

<O.k., I have to ask this fun question of you: have you ever seen the movie "Romancing the Stone?"  If so, what did you think about it? (especially with your line of work, I just have to hear your thoughts on it)>

Yes, I saw ROMANCING THE STONE.  I liked it.  It was a fun movie.  I remember laughing at the scene where they slide down the muddy hill, and he ends up with his head between her legs.

Interestingly,  I think suspense and humor can work in a movie.  But I think that's harder to pull off in a book.  I have trouble getting a lot of humor into my dark paranormal stories.  (I do have some, but it can interfere with the tension that I'm trying to create.) 

Ruth

#25 2006-02-16 09:29:56

The Busboy
Administrator

Ha, ha, yeah I really liked that movie "Romancing the Stone" too, it is classic.  I just had to ask, as I always wondered what writers thought of that movie, as I figured it has to be a favorite.  So what's new?  Any new projects?  Sounds like you have lots of irons in the fire?  Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and post, it is so cool of you.  I am so impressed by the amount of books you wrote, it's just amazing to me.  Any funny or fun stories you can tell us, as I'm sure there are lots of interesting things you've experienced in your line of work?

Board footer