The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-19 21:41:28

WolfVanZandt
Website

Wolf - the movie

I'm going back through my Werewolf fils and have come to Wolf (Y'know - Michelle Pfeiffer and Jack Nicholson).

Two things about this film:

The VHS jacket describes it as "a wickedly funny, wildly romantic, white-knuckled thriller." Did ya'll figure Wolf as a comedy?

And in the scene where the writer (dying of cancer) asked Jack's character to bite him - wouldn't you have granted him that?

#2 2004-09-20 00:13:41

RedStreak

Re: Wolf - the movie

Wolf was kinda interesting.  I'll have to watch it again for that "bite me" part.

The only 'comedic' part I can think of was Jack Nickolson peeing on the jerk's shoe and declaring "like a proper werewolf" wink  "marking my territory."

Not too too bad; I will say more depth was given to the characters than a typical werewolf movie if anything.

"Let the trails lead where they may, I will follow"
-Tigatron, Beast Wars

#3 2004-09-20 09:40:30

The Busboy
Administrator

WVZ, I liked the movie, the characters were interesting, the story was interesting, but if the jacket actjally reads "a wickedly funny, wildly romantic, white-knuckled thriller," then you are right, the jacket description is way off.  I didn't find it funny, I saw it as a drama, and I didn't find it romantic.  I am a huge Michelle Pfeiffer fan, so I thought she was great in it.  I also thought James Spader and Jack Nicholson were great, the casting was very good for this movie.  It needed better special effects though, as it didn't have enough of the horror aspect, but it was a very good film (in fact I own that one).

#4 2004-09-22 03:49:42

slave2moonlight
Website

Loved "Wolf," one of my favorite romances. That's definitely what I'd classify it as. Romance-thriller maybe. Yes, I found a lot of humor in it, but not to the level of naming it a comedy. It was chuckling humor, just right for the tone of the film, not rolling on the floor laughing humor. To me, the film was all about finding a soul-mate, and love transcending the boundaries forced upon it by society's ever changing moralities. In other words, most people would wag their finger at a couple like Jack and Michelle (their characters, I mean), but in the end they go with their own feelings. Much better than the preachy modern message of "Something's Gotta Give." I guess, being single, I'm sensitive to this new idea that you have to date someone born within a few months of yourself. Sorry, that limits the selection waaaay too much.

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." -- "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" -- "What's that star on the wall for?" -- "I've got a bad feeling about this." -- "I didn't get a 'harumph' outta that guy!" -- "You wanna talk to God? Let's go see him together. I've got nothing better to do."

#5 2004-09-22 19:51:15

WolfVanZandt
Website

Fact is, most of Hitchcock's movies had comic relief in them and, except for a few (like Family Plot and that movie about Harry - whutever it was called), they were not classed as comedies.

#6 2004-09-23 09:22:29

The Busboy
Administrator

WVZ, did you mean "Harry and Maude?"

#7 2004-09-23 18:46:17

WolfVanZandt
Website

I don't think so. It was about a guy who died and nobody could keep up with the corpse. I want to say "Something About Harry" but I think that was a Bill Murray movie.

#8 2004-09-23 18:47:15

WolfVanZandt
Website

Grrrrrrr....A lot of Weres are very bad with names and, if you haven't noticed....I'm one of those.

#9 2004-09-24 02:36:09

slave2moonlight
Website

Ha, I am TERRIBLE with names. Not so much with film names though, but with people's names.

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." -- "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" -- "What's that star on the wall for?" -- "I've got a bad feeling about this." -- "I didn't get a 'harumph' outta that guy!" -- "You wanna talk to God? Let's go see him together. I've got nothing better to do."

#10 2004-09-24 04:51:29

Speedbump

"Wolf" ranks #1 in my collection for best acting (out of 30+ werewolf movies).
Lon Chaney Jr.'s, "The Wolf Man" ranks a close second, but only because Jack Nicholson seems to be naturally wolfish (personality and appearance-wise).

#11 2004-10-05 03:02:50

Johnlindsey289

Awesome, entertaining and unique yet different werewolf movie with Jack Nicholson perfomance as the title creature with a different kind of werewolf change instead of a being a full werewolf critter.

Michelle Pfiefer was a knockout especially with that seductive voice! James Spader was also very good even during the same year he did "Stargate" in 1994. It was parodied on The Critic called " Chicken".

If you enjoy this movie, i also recommend: " Ginger Snaps", " Link", and " The Toxic Avenger".

Last edited by Johnlindsey289 (2004-10-05 03:04:55)

#12 2008-06-09 18:50:48

The Busboy
Administrator

Copied these over to here from another topic on the same subject:

danethefurry wrote:

I saw this last night and loved it so very much, it's funny and witty but not that scary at all. Made in 1994, Jack Nicholson plays as Will Randall a sussessful businessman that gets turned into a werewolf by a wolf that he hits on a drive home from a meeting. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111742/ I give it 5 danes out of 5.

punxnotdead wrote:

To me, it was an alright werewolf movie, though the werewolf was more old school, which I don't much care for. Other than that, though, the storyline was pretty good. Still, I would only give it a 5/10 .

LVX wrote:

One of my favorite movies. If only it could have been made more recently with computer generated graphics and such, then I would have been even more satisfied.

#13 2008-06-09 20:22:26

Amarok

The whole point of "Wolf" was to concentrate more on the characters than fx.  IIRC Rick Baker did the make-up, and you know he could have delivered a werewolf supreme.  They tried, bless 'em, but it's not my favorite were-movie.

(Do werewolf bites get diluted as they get passed on?  The were that bit Larry Talbot was a full-wolf form, and the wolf that bit Nicholson's character only made him a little hairier and toothier!)

The Hitchcock film mentioned is "The Trouble with Harry."  "Harry" is a corpse that seems to turn up in everyone's bedroom, bathroom, back yard, or closet, and everyone tries to get rid of it (by dumping it in someone else's bedroom, etc.), because everyone in the small town setting had a motive for killing the poor schnook in the first place.

"No, no, go not to Lethe, neither twist Wolf's-bane, tight-rooted. for its poisonous wine." -- Keats, "Ode to Melancholy"

#14 2008-06-10 13:12:40

WolfMontana

Amarok wrote:

(Do werewolf bites get diluted as they get passed on?  The were that bit Larry Talbot was a full-wolf form, and the wolf that bit Nicholson's character only made him a little hairier and toothier!)

DUDE! I've always wondered that!! big_smile   ... and where's my car?! lol

But seriously, it always bugged me that Bela's werewolf was a full wolf, and yet poor Chaney's gotta run around wearing a wig on his face!

Personally, I loved the werewolf effects in Wolf. Very subtle - but Jack Nicholsons look as he's standing over her and she's flinched at his hand/paw were sweet. Great look, and very reminiscent of Wolverine. wink

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#15 2008-06-23 19:46:09

CatWolf4891

Amarok wrote:

The whole point of "Wolf" was to concentrate more on the characters than fx.  IIRC Rick Baker did the make-up, and you know he could have delivered a werewolf supreme.  They tried, bless 'em, but it's not my favorite were-movie.

Actually (if I remember correctly) When Jack's character runs off into the woods at the end, before they show Michelle's character driving "wolf eyes close-up" shot, they show Jack running, casting off his clothes, then a face shot of what he looked like most of a movie as a werewolf, but then it changes until the camera pans away to show Jack having become a full wolf, howling.  But I'd need to watch the movie again; I may be wrong.

Anyways, the movie was so-so; a neat representation of werewolves that could keep a good or bad personality (Jack having some good personality in him when a werewolf, James pretty much a ass both human and werewolf thus enhancing the badness in his werewolf form), and it gave kind of a spiritual mood about it somehow (the entire mood and shots itself from what I remember was kinda of weird and eerie if not awe-inspiring).  The FX's of the werewolf could have been better, yes, but it didn't seem like the movie was meant for heavy werewolf action...stuff.

Interest on that VHS jacket cover.  I think they were trying to be witty with the puns with "a wickedly funny, wildly romantic, white-knuckled thriller."  Swing...and miss XD

The Full Moon to humans is just a rock; The Full Moon to me is a symbol of freedom and release
A Howl to humans scare them; A Howl to me is a harmonious song...
And I Howl back.
I am SUCH the Romantic big_smile   Awwoooooooooo!

#16 2008-07-08 03:20:51

WolfInMe

Busyboy, I'm also a huge Michelle Pfeiffer fan as well.  At the time of release, it didn't do well both financially or criticially, but I've always enjoyed it.  I could be wrong, but I thought there was a really cool teaser trailer for "Wolf," but it's not on U-tube...darn!  Also, I wish they would do a special DVD edition...there was a lot of footage cut from the final and they basically redid the last half of the film.

#17 2009-08-05 11:30:13

ArcLight
Website

Coming to blu-ray October 13.

"How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."
"Werewolves are BAD ASS." - Dean Winchester
Buckaroo Banzai - Highlander - Kolchak - Buffy - Doc Savage
http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant

#18 2009-08-05 11:41:07

Daninsky
Website

Hmm, I really need to get a Blu-Ray player so that I can replace the DVD's I bought to replace my VHS cassettes of Michelle's movies.

Call no man happy 'til he dies

#19 2009-08-05 13:53:32

Viergacht

I liked the idea that WOLF wasn't the main character pissing and moaning about being cursed, that he eventually comes to embrace it, accept it and use it constructively by the end. If you think about lycanthropy as symbolizing a physical or mental disability that sets one apart from the rest of humanity, it's very depressing that movie werewolves usually hate themselves, hate their condition, and either are cured and perfectly normal by the end or are killed and 'put out of their misery' - and the werewolves that enjoy being werewolves are almost always the bad guys. In real life there are all kinds of disabilities that make life difficult for a person, that can only be imperfectly controlled or compensated for, not cured, and that make the 'whole' people around them uncomfortable or inconvenienced. And as much as people try to be politically correct, there is this (usually) buried impulse to demonize disabled people, and the desire to get rid of them, which is sublimated into the cinematic image of a self-hating, destructive monster that must be destroyed.

Wolf gives a much healthier and enlightened reaction to having a disability, coping with it and maybe even finding strength in it, and finding someone to connect with. By the end of the movie Jack has given up everything that used to be of paramount importance to him, but he's found a true partner and come to grips with himself, and he'll probably be happy, although it's not the sort of life society tells him he requires to be content. At least, this is my take on it. It may not have been a classic werewolf movie, but it had interesting things to say about the usual tropes.

As for the OP's actual questions, I don't think it was intended to be a comedy, it was a drama with a few comedic moments. And I felt bad for the dying writer, but then that was when Jack was still in the hating himself phase of the movie. I like to think that on the way back to the Vermont woods he stopped off and bit the guy - sometimes when movies irritate you with plot holes like that, you just have to use the magic of your imagination!

#20 2009-08-05 14:07:23

SouthPaw

I did find the film to be humurous underneath the suspense and tragedy that resulted from his affliction.  Most of the moments of discovery of his new habits/abilities and how they affected others around him were awkwardly funny.  Though not of the gut-busting variety.  And there was some dark humor to be found with the politics between him and James Spader's character.  The style of humor reminded me a lot of Nicholson and Pfieffer's other film, Witches of Eastwick.  Goofy meddling with sinister forces.

#21 2009-08-05 22:21:13

WolfMontana

Viergacht wrote:

As for the OP's actual questions, I don't think it was intended to be a comedy, it was a drama with a few comedic moments. And I felt bad for the dying writer, but then that was when Jack was still in the hating himself phase of the movie. I like to think that on the way back to the Vermont woods he stopped off and bit the guy - sometimes when movies irritate you with plot holes like that, you just have to use the magic of your imagination!

Fantastic big_smile

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#22 2009-08-08 01:19:41

Delta Wolfman

I love this movie. One of my favorites.

#23 2009-09-25 11:19:00

blackwolfrising
Website

in my opinion i wouldn't want the effects to be change in WOLF simply because they looked  natural. but that's just me. wolf and the ginger snaps trilogy rank #2 and #3 in my favorite movie collection. #1 is Dracula.

no i don't like vamps better than wolves, i just like the movie. a lot. i especially love Gary Oldman as young Dracula.  hey he turns into a werewolf in the movie. and a regular gray wolf. Dracula's a werewolf!

well technically. tongue

"have your cake and eat it to..."

"I've been known to believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast" Lewis Carroll.

#24 2010-01-29 23:48:07

WereWolfH

First off, wow this is such an underrated Werewolf movie. I don't even think most people put this down when werewolf movies are listed.

Anyway, it's on cable all this weekend!!!!

How did Stewart? (young werewolf from Boston Legal) become a werewolf I haven't watched this movie in ages.

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

#25 2010-01-29 23:53:34

Dinobat

WereWolfH wrote:

First off, wow this is such an underrated Werewolf movie. I don't even think most people put this down when werewolf movies are listed.

Anyway, it's on cable all this weekend!!!!

How did Stewart? (young werewolf from Boston Legal) become a werewolf I haven't watched this movie in ages.

Jack bit him in his human form when he walked in on his wife wife having an affair with him.

"Sorry Colonel, I meant to shoot you. I'm not the marksman I used to be, I must be getting old."

Board footer