The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-19 23:05:45

Jimwonders

Do you believe werewolves ever existed? Where did the idea come from?

Again, for me, I favor the idea of the conscious change, being able to purposely change from one form to another.  I think that may have been possible (at least mentally, to see oneself as another creature and travel the earth in that visage) at one point in time and perhaps even today.

#2 2004-06-21 15:35:39

The Busboy
Administrator

Re: Do you believe werewolves ever existed? Where did the idea come from?

I know that "werewolf" lore goes back very very far back though the ages.  I am thinking that the whole idea of a man shapeshifting into a wolf (or any other animal for that matter) may be as simple as a man being seen wearing a wolf pelt in some kind of a pagan religious ceremony, but I will get back to you on that one after I finish reading the numerous books I have on werewolf lore (as I know I will change my mind on that one or have my own theories after I read more facts).

#3 2004-06-30 12:59:45

SeanF
Website

Of course werewolves existed.  Whether or not they existed in the form we read about now is a different question. 

I've been reading a lot lately about origins of therianthropism and some of the more interesting ones involve the native american concepts of Skinwalkers and the famed 'ergot fungus' that has been blamed for the belief in a lot of superstitions and witch trials.  The one thing that keeps coming up is the 'primal' aspect of a transformed person, which made me think of that movie 'Altered States' in which the man, through hallucinogenic drugs and sensory deprivation transformed into a primitive ancestor of humanity.  Is that a possibility?  I'm not sure, but it follows the path of the drug induced view of therianthropism.

In Northern Europe during the middle ages, it was common for Nordic warriors to wear wolf hides as they went on their raids.  These large, ferocious, two legged, man-wolves, would definitely inspire fearly folktales in the populace. 

Nearly every culture on the planet has tales of people being able to shift forms.  Since a lot of cultures don't bother distinguishing between metaphysical and physical realities, it is a bit difficult to consider if actual physical shapeshifting is occuring or if it is more akin to a type of possession with only a mental transformation occurring.

#4 2004-06-30 22:11:50

LunaRenee

I also like the idea of werewolf as metaphor.  In a "civilized" sociiety, man must sublimate his more primal urges.  The very concept of a werewolf gives man an opportunity to express his animalistic side.  That aspect that makes us want to lash out when hurt or angered.

*Using my brain's vast storehouse of trivia for good, not evil*

#5 2004-07-02 10:32:55

slave2moonlight

I just believe in keeping an open mind about any subject that I'm uncertain about.

#6 2004-09-02 01:34:48

WolfVanZandt
Website

The original Werewlves, the Neuri were incredibly violent and people that survived their attacks thought that they were demons that changed into animals. That combined with the fact that they tended toward shamanism...although shamans change into animals in Dreamtime, outsiders got that confused and thought that they changed in real life.

#7 2004-09-02 11:26:02

hunter5654

I think it's conceivable, but I doubt there are many because as man encroaches on available hiding places during the moon, it would be too noticeable unless there is magic involved.  However, I do believe that magic exists, so it's possible.

#8 2004-12-09 17:22:07

RedStreak

Regarding where the idea of werewolves came from, I'd like to refer to an interesting tid-bit of info I got from the history channel...

It seems the idea of anthropomorphic animals has INDEED been around as long as people have.  Egypt, long regarded as the apiteme of the ancient world, is known for having one particular god everyone at this cafe can compare to a werewolf: Anubis.

I did some research into Anubis on my own, naturally wink , and it turns out the 'ol jackal-headed lord-of-the-dead is regarded as one of the most ancient among the Egyptian pantheon.  His job's been shifted around a bit, from being the total god of dead to being something of a judge of the dead and the guy in charge of changing mummy wrappings, but he's always been important to the Egyptians.

Now before Egypt settled down along the Nile, out in the desert apparently there is some evidence their predecessors ALSO recognized Anubis - i.e. some rock paintings basically that look particularly interesting.  Egypt goes back to 3000B.C. by itself, so this means way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way back people had believed in half-man, half-canine critters.

Not really an explanation, but this gives a good idea how long the werewolf's existed as a belief if nothing more. wink

"Let the trails lead where they may, I will follow"
-Tigatron, Beast Wars

#9 2004-12-09 18:44:25

NinjaWolf

I always wondered about this but, what about human evolution in the dinosaur days? Sure, man's ancestory was apes, but where there any wolves among man's cycle of evolution or any other kind of animal? We may never know exactly...but, I've heard tiny details about them, saying that man roamed around the earth as wolves (or some other kind of animal) through cave drawings and such. It could be some myth or ritual on their part, but I don't know exactly if early cavemen really knew or believed in gods and animals and becoming one of them, due to their lack of brain power. I'm certain they did before the Egyptians, Red.

Silly, werewolf! Tricks are for ninjas! XD

#10 2004-12-09 19:18:04

Speedbump

RedStreak wrote:

It seems the idea of anthropomorphic animals has INDEED been around as long as people have.  Egypt, long regarded as the apiteme of the ancient world, is known for having one particular god everyone at this cafe can compare to a werewolf: Anubis.

Don't forget about Osiris (bird-headed) and Set (serpent). Egyptians were all about that shizzy.

#11 2004-12-09 20:12:57

Cadre
Website

King Nebuchadnezzer was turned an animal, the bible says that he had claws like a bear and fur-like feathers. He roamed the Earth for seven years under the punishment of the All-Mighty.

#12 2004-12-09 22:13:33

WolfVanZandt
Website

If man evolved from "lower" species, then his ancestory includes animals all the way back to amoeba and beyond. But evolution or not, we're closer to them than most people realize. Physiologists call the midbrain the "reptilian brain". Our spinal column, hind brain and midbrain is, for all intents and purposes, the brain of a snake. Deduct the extremely developed frontal lobe and temporal lobes and replace them with the older models and we have a nonhuman mammalian brain.

Mentally, (and notice that I'm not making any statements here about spirit) the difference between human and nonhuman can be boiled down to two facts. Humans are verbal-language based and humans have opposable thumbs.

#13 2004-12-10 05:21:15

BlueEyesWolf

And I have heard stories about people born with body hair ALL over their bodies! There are some very old paintings of them too. They don't have long pointed ears or snouts but they do look something like werewolves, even if it's a little more on the human side than the animal.

#14 2004-12-10 10:49:37

The Busboy
Administrator

O.k., here's where we get into religion vs. science, so be careful here...

Some quick comments...

Regarding dinosaurs and man, according to science, they didn't exist at the same time (and were wiped out, so they would be on different branches of an evolutionary timeline).  Early man evolved much later on an evolutionary timeline. 

Regarding Egyptology, only some of the gods were associated with animals (examples are: Anubis-jackel/dog, Hathor-cow, Horus-falcon, Taweret-hippo, Selket-scorpion, Thoth-ibis (a bird), Set-ardvark looking, Bast-cat, Sobek-crocodile).  Only some were believed to change from god form to human form with different animal parts (having an animal head, animal on their head or etc.).  (Speedy, Osiris wasn't the bird one, the bird one (ibis) is associated with Thoth (a great parade on Magazine Street in New Orleans by the way) and they werewn't really too sure what Set was).  Other gods were associated with the sun, moon, etc.

BlueEyesWolf, there is a rare disease of sorts that can cause all over body hair.  I know it is mentioned on a forum here somewhere.

Last edited by The Busboy (2004-12-10 10:50:00)

#15 2004-12-10 15:50:44

Speedbump

The Busboy wrote:

(Speedy, Osiris wasn't the bird one, the bird one (ibis) is associated with Thoth (a great parade on Magazine Street in New Orleans by the way) and they werewn't really too sure what Set was).

Whooooo, I whiffed on that one. Thanks for clearing up my hazy memory.

#16 2004-12-11 09:05:06

Cadre
Website

comment on the science vs religion: I realize that many people are trained to put it into those categories, however they are more political than actual. Evolution is a nature based religion that falls into the pantheist other than theist. Nature is the unseen god of othes naturalistic or nature based religion. Like many of the egyptian deities, there are mythological animal-human hybrids just like other religions. Yes, apemen are mythological creatures just like mermaids, werewolves (not so much as werewolves) but evolution is not science, technology is science and if something requires me to believe in a universal consciousness or connection, between all things a "force", well then its not very scientific then is it?

#17 2004-12-12 06:35:36

BlueEyesWolf

The Busboy wrote:

BlueEyesWolf, there is a rare disease of sorts that can cause all over body hair.  I know it is mentioned on a forum here somewhere.

That is what I was talking about, The Busboy, but I can't think the name of it. anyway, it does give people somewhat the appearance of werewolves.

#18 2004-12-12 14:34:08

RedStreak

BlueEyesWolf wrote:

The Busboy wrote:

That is what I was talking about, The Busboy, but I can't think the name of it. anyway, it does give people somewhat the appearance of werewolves.

I think I saw a Discovery-channel special about people with that condition.  There was one family of circus performers who inherited that trait.

"Let the trails lead where they may, I will follow"
-Tigatron, Beast Wars

#19 2004-12-12 14:44:31

The Busboy
Administrator

BlueEyesWolf, the disease is called "porphria."  Check out the forum on this site called "Werewolves in the news" and you can read about it.

#20 2004-12-13 00:38:45

WolfVanZandt
Website

All over body hair is hypertrichonosis (or nowever it's spelled). Porphyria causes hypersensitivity to light.

#21 2004-12-13 09:02:19

The Busboy
Administrator

WVZ, so does the hypersensitivity to light cause the hair to grow then (helping to protect oneself from the sun), so the person ends up with two problems ultimately?

#22 2004-12-13 15:37:23

Speedbump

The Busboy wrote:

WVZ, so does the hypersensitivity to light cause the hair to grow then (helping to protect oneself from the sun), so the person ends up with two problems ultimately?

It means they're a vampire/werewolf hybrid! smile

#23 2004-12-13 19:20:10

WolfVanZandt
Website

(grin) Well, porphyria doesn't particularly cause body hair growth and Hypertrichosis (that is the correct spelling) doesn't generally cause sensitivity to light. Porphyria has been mostly associated with vampires and hypertrichosis with Werewolves. Te only disease that I've seen that is largely associated with Weres (in this case, RL Weres) and causes sensitivity to light is Sjorgen's Syndrome but it doesn't particularly cause hairiness.

Actually, I haven't been able to find a reasonable disease explanation for historical Wereism. All the one's that they've come up with (porphyria, hypertrichosis, ergot poisoning, mass hysteria, depression, schizophrenia, multiple personality disorder, rabies) have holes you could drive a Mack truck through.

#24 2004-12-13 19:30:55

Speedbump

It's the devil, I tells ya. At least that's what all the paranoid Christians believed at the time.

#25 2004-12-13 22:31:24

WolfVanZandt
Website

Heh. What time? There was a time when Werewolves were Christian. There's even a modern novel called Saint Peter's Wolf which refers back to when European Werewolves were part of the church, although I haven't run into any direct references yet (I'm reading it now).

Board footer