The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-13 00:12:22

punxnotdead

Werewolf in the Shadows (revised)

Hey. Here's my revised version before I decide to get it published. Tell me what you think. Oh, and the prologue is intentionally nondescriptive smile

Werewolf in the Shadows
       Rachel Plumb ©2009

Prologue
    The thief peered into the beast’s eyes with irrevocable terror. More gunshots rang through the silence.
    The beast felt the miniscule twinges of pain as the bullets deflected off of his massive, heaving chest. His frothing maw twisted into a wicked grin, revealing a row of his glimmering knife-sized teeth. His eyes blazed, his fur hackled, and his muscles condensed with the urge to lunge, to feel the warm blood caress his tongue.
    The terrified man, trembling, withdrew, his face stricken with fear. It rolled from his body like a pungent odour, enthralling the beast further. The sound of his sporadic pulse thundered in its ears as the man whirled around and bolted away.
    The beast heard the man’s fleeing footfalls disappearing as he drew more distance between them. And yet the beast remained, waiting with eager anticipation to begin, its molten eyes transfixed in front of it like a gothic statue.
    Without forewarning, the werewolf launched itself forward like a lethal spring. Its massive paws drummed against the ground as talons scraped against the pavement. It flashed through the darkness like the flicker of a shadow with speeds unfathomable to man.
    It took little time to follow the thick scent to the long stretch of street ahead. The streetlights ceased to illuminate the street, plunging the vicinity into terrifying darkness. However, the beast could see the retreating man with great lucidity, whimpering and calling out for any means of help.
    But there would be no salvation for the fleeing thief. What a pity, the werewolf thought; no one would witness his shrill screams of terror as he ripped through his flesh.
    The massive creature lumbered toward the horrified man, drawing teasingly closer, hearing his heartbeat race as he realized he was being pursued. He could sense the man’s indecision as he was prepared to stop and defend himself or continue running and surely be torn down. But instinctual fear propelled him to run – to keep running until the danger ceased to exist.
    The lycanthrope propelled itself forward in a taunting game of cat and mouse, his maw so close to its victim that in one small bound, it could snap the man’s neck. But the beast waited, revelling in the freedom from within its mind. The weak fool had kept him caged in the back of his mind, unaware of the power he could possess if they worked in unison.
    But the beast knew that his human counterpart would refuse. He was too pathetic to kill these feeble parasites.
    As agitation swept through its sinister mind, the werewolf bored of the screaming man and lunged. His massive body slammed into the thief’s back and he was thrust headlong into the pavement.
    The beast curled its saliva-sheathed fangs around the back of the thug’s throat, feeling his futile struggles and muffled screams. It could feel the man’s heartbeat jump between his teeth and for a moment, the beast was indecisive. The human lingering at the back of his mind was struggling for control and the beast snarled. He refused to allow such weakness to overcome him.
    With a twist of his lethal fangs, a small spray of blood lashed the cement and he could hear the thief’s garbled death cries and his struggling cease in a snap of bone.
    Rich, coppery blood invaded his mouth as he crushed the man’s larynx, the blood caressing his muzzle and fur. Despite this, he felt a twinge of repulsion as human emotions began to regain control. The beast could see the milky white haze obscure its vision and in a viscous lunge, the lithe beast disappeared into the shadows homeward bound.

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#2 2009-01-13 17:26:58

TSDX WERENIMAL HUNTER
P.h.e.o.e.n.e.x Operative

Re: Werewolf in the Shadows (revised)

Wow That Is Quite  Scary And Intimidating Great Job Punx But Im Scared To Go In Dark Alleys Now. Then Again He Was Probably Stealing Something. But No One Deserves Death Then Again....

All Ur Base R Belong 2 Us come quietly and your eyebrows will not be burned off....that would not be pleasant would it?

Im baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!! (For real this time) With 30% more TS 30% more DX 60% more weapons and 99% more evilness and destruction!!

#3 2009-01-13 17:48:15

Zage_the_winged_werewolf
witty & controversial
Website

big_smile nice story hon. big_smile *snuggles*

Whenever you see a raven or a crow, just remember, that that's me, watching you.

I have a dick, there for, I am a MALE!!!!!!!

#4 2009-01-13 17:50:11

TSDX WERENIMAL HUNTER

i am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SCARED OF THERIANS NOW *sarcastic* roll

All Ur Base R Belong 2 Us come quietly and your eyebrows will not be burned off....that would not be pleasant would it?

Im baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!! (For real this time) With 30% more TS 30% more DX 60% more weapons and 99% more evilness and destruction!!

#5 2009-01-13 18:06:59

punxnotdead

Thanks big_smile big_smile I'll have more in 2 days, maybe big_smile

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#6 2009-01-13 18:16:32

TSDX WERENIMAL HUNTER

Gsmilesmiled

#7 2009-01-14 19:58:24

yungmoney
certified pimp
Website

yo that was mad scary

And if you think you hot then obviously you were lied to
And we don’t die we multiply and then we come divide you
                              ~$Lil Wayne$~
http://music.myspace.com/Modules/MusicV … lid=211836

#8 2009-01-15 00:55:50

punxnotdead

THANKS, *** and Yung *Hugs tight* I have more up, as of now, and I hope I don't bore you with my detailed descriptions of EVERYTHING big_smile

Chapter 1
    Alex Millar rose to his feet with a numb expression on his face. A gut-wrenching grief threatened to consume him and the murmuring congregating of people failed to tear him from his horrified musings.
    “Guilty.” The words reverberated around his skull as he struggled to comprehend what had happened. The court room walls swam dauntingly ahead of him and those that passed him appeared a distorted blur of various colors. His mouth hung open from the many horrific considerations that faced him. His emerald eyes gazed vacantly at the departing judge, hearing nothing but his own heartbeat pulsing sporadically in his chest. It took a moment before he could inhale again, and when he did, he sucked it in sharply, the air burning his lungs.   
    He was too young; there was too much to live for. He didn’t belong in prison! Not because he was wrongly convicted, but because he couldn’t bear the thought of living four years in a slimy hellhole. He couldn’t fathom the hoards of murderers, rapists, or thieves waiting for him – like ravenous vultures circling overhead. However, the judge was finalized in his saying. Alex would return home for a brief gathering of his belongings and be sent to a juvenile correctional facility.
    He clenched his fists, the skin pressing tautly against his knuckles as he fought back a wave of anger. The very same anger that was responsible for his predicament. It had stemmed shortly after his father’s murder and his mother’s departure. The vivid images of previous occurrences flashed in front of his eyes, repulsing him.
    A knife glimmered from Joel’s burly fist as he flaunted it to Alex. The blade was small – a pocket knife, Alex presumed, but the hard look in the boy’s face revealed his possible demise.
    Joel’s wide, black eyes glinted with malice as he half-crouched, ready to spring and strike Alex with the glistening dagger. He held it with clenched fists, his massive shoulders rolling beneath his over-sized sweater. A small wound trickled congealing blood from their heated brawl, a large gash carved above his left brow and a red bruise mottled the crook of his nose. He snarled and his lips curled threateningly in a wicked grin.
    Alex wiped the sweat from his heated brow, feeling the throbbing in his left temple where a fist had struck him and numerous other pangs throughout his body. His white t-shirt was torn and shredded from the skirmish, his pale skin riddled with insignificant wounds. His own blazing green eyes gazed at his opponent, glowering and holding back the shroud of anger that crept along his vision like a sinister shadow.
    He blinked numerous times, his heartbeat roaring in his ears and the silent dark cloud continuing to obscure his vision. He clenched his teeth together, flexing his thin arms and causing the tendons to leap from beneath his skin. He blinked to rid of the petty annoyance, but failed to do so; however, it did not continue to advance...yet.
    Joel grinned maliciously and leapt forward with his massive body.
    Alex was prepared for the attack and leapt away from the charging brute. His back hit a brick wall as Joel’s blade slashed the air, scarcely missing him. Adrenaline and blood pulsed furiously though his system and the dark cloud of rage kept him agile and swift. But now, as he had his back to the brick wall, he had no means of escape as Joel recovered from his attack.
    With rage flushing his face, Joel whipped around before Alex could react, his arm and blade extended outward.
He saw the flash of silver as the knife sliced through the air and connected painfully with Alex’s jaw.
    The small blade slithered across his left cheek and extended downward to his chin. A pulse of pain obscured his vision and disoriented him momentarily as he staggered to the ground. He experienced no pain as he struck the cold, hard cement besides the ripple of pain searing through his jaw.
    Eyes clamped tightly shut to withstand the pain, he groaned and clutched his cheek. Hot scarlet liquid ebbed between his cupped fingers; he felt the sticky substance hit the ground with sickening pitter-patters.
    But as he lay, sprawled on the cement and clutching his face, the rage exploded from its fragile confines and the darkness of Alex’s subconscious engulfed him. It wasn’t long before he was plunged into darkness of the deluded mind of his subconscious.
    Opening his blazing eyes, Alex’s ravenous gaze flickered to Joel, who stood with a smug smile tugging at the corner of his lips, anticipating another attack. The pocket knife was stained with specks of crimson and another wave of fury flooded Alex.
    Snarling and ignoring the residual throbbing in his jaw, Alex leapt forward, his fists two hard bundles of bone and flesh.
The knife flashed once again through the air, but Alex ducked, feeling the crosscurrent of air on the back of his neck. He lunged out, his hand gripping Joel’s knife, and wrenching it violently from his unsuspecting grip.
    It took mere seconds as Alex felt the pocket knife bury into Joel’s throat, when he could feel the flesh give way and the metal slice through the skin. He remembered very little after that, besides Joel’s motionless form striking the ground and the blade protruding from the side of his throat, the hilt stained with blood.
    Witnesses and passers by screamed as Alex remained in a terrified stupor, unsure of what atrocity he had just committed. He scarcely recollected as police handcuffed him and Emergency paramedics wheeled away Joel’s convulsing body.

Alex blinked and the repulsing memory ended. Gooseflesh erected on his skin and he shivered at the thought. Luckily Joel survived – only narrowly, and Alex was responsible for paying jail time. He experienced the remorse of his actions and the persistent guilt. He swallowed a hard lump in his throat as two burly officers directed him out of the courtroom and outside.
    He expected to wince beneath the blazing rays of sunlight, but shivered as a cool wind picked up in the parking lot. Grey clouds loomed threateningly above and the trees swayed to the eerie breeze, moaning their protest. He heard the faint rumble of thunder rolling across the sky and grimaced. He hated storms.
    On his way through the parking lot, he didn’t attempt to flatten his dishevelled chestnut coloured hair. Instead, he allowed the short hair to flutter in the breeze and tickle his ears. He was deep in contemplation, trying to keep his mind off of the daunting future.
But as he shuffled over the cement sidewalk and towards his car, an abnormally handsomely dressed man seized his attention.
    Curious, he allowed his gaze to wander, only to find the strange man staring back at him, his eyes penetrating. Alex felt his muscles stiffen as the man shrugged away from his dark Mercedes and ambled towards him.
    For reasons unknown to Alex, his heart picked up and his palms became sheathed in a sheet of cold sweat.

Sorry 'bout the length.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#9 2009-01-15 19:59:26

TSDX WERENIMAL HUNTER

***** wrote:

Oh! Punx, I can't wait to read more! I'm sure didn't get to finish reading the first version completely, which made me sad. But now it's revised, I can read more! big_smile

Oh and I'm sorry but I had to mention:

TSDX WERENIMAL HUNTER wrote:

i am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SCARED OF THERIANS NOW *sarcastic* roll

o_0 There's a difference between werewolves and therians, you know. Therians are real, and I find what you said kind of rude, to therianthropes. I know you didn't mean to offend me, it's just that I don't like sarcasm directed at us hmm

>< And I've done it again. I don't mean to be rude, I just thought I should say that it offended me, so that you can try not to in future? I know you didn't mean to, TSDX smile

DO YOU EVER!!! KNOW WHEN IM JOKING ITS JUST MY PERSONALITY!! AND IM KINDA TIRED OF YU GOING OFF ON ME AND BEING ALL SPECIFIC ABOUT THE LYCAN THERIAN THING IM STLL LEARNING ABOUT IT OKAY mad

#10 2009-01-15 20:02:18

TSDX WERENIMAL HUNTER

Good Work On The Second Chapter smile

#11 2009-01-16 12:00:43

FenrirVik
Space Cowboy

Very good Punx, I was holding off because I wanted to read the book big_smile but I couldn't any longer. I love the description, and don't listen to people who say it bores them. smile

Synchronicity

#12 2009-01-16 12:54:55

punxnotdead

Thank you guys! big_smile *Hugs*

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#13 2009-01-16 19:03:06

punxnotdead

Thank you guys big_smile and ***** *Hugs*

Well, I guess I'll stop the arguing right here and delete/edit any posts that continue the argument smile
I hope you two can work things out smile

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#14 2009-01-18 23:22:24

punxnotdead

Here's some more y'all big_smile big_smile

The strange man stopped three feet from Alex, his fists buried into his lavish suit. But Alex noticed little else besides his intense sapphire eyes. The icy gaze peered over a large, hooked nose and thin pink lips stretched in an amiable smile, flaunting his brilliant white teeth. He combed his fingers through his short, light blonde hair as he finally spoke.
    “Can I talk to you for a moment,” the stranger asked in a deep, smooth voice and pointed to a small secluded area of the courtyard, “over there?”
        Alex studied the man, his brows furrowed in contemplation. The man wore a tailored suit and an expensive watch engraved with diamonds and jewels. Even his wedding band was engraved with the beautiful stones.
    What would a man such he be doing in a place like this? Alex mused internally. Surely he would know it was unsafe for him, or anyone else remotely wealthy, for that matter. And why would he want to converse with a hoodlum like him?
    The stranger appeared to take notice of Alex’s suspicions and replied. “It’ll only take a few moments of your time. I promise it’ll be worth it.” His sapphire eyes flickered on Alex with fathomless intensity, and though Alex was nearly his height, he felt like a small child again, fear squirming in his gut.   
    With little to lose, Alex nodded in compliance, his tongue conveniently swollen in his throat.
    “Great,” the stranger muttered and motioned for Alex to follow him to the corner of the building, away from curious glances. He stopped and revolved to face Alex once more, his perfect features emanating his cordial demeanour. Only in the shadows of the building did Alex distinguish three diagonal white scars beneath his right eye.
    The man extended his hand to Alex and spoke, “Tom Crowell.”
    Alex glanced warily at the man’s outstretched hand and shook it. “Alex,” he muttered, the corner of his lip twitching in a weak smile.
    Crowell nodded and began the conversation immediately. “I am the founder of Codoxin, a performance enhancer drug. The drug has been in the making for three years, and now I’ve finally finished it. I’m looking to recruit willing participants to test the drug.” He clasped his hands behind his back, his intense gaze boring into Alex.
    Alex furrowed his brows, knowing now why the man was talking to him. He could not lock glances with Crowell, so he peered at the ground. “I’m sorry but...”
    Crowell interrupted him before he could finish. “I hear you’re headed to prison. I can get you out,” he replied, continuing to glance at Alex with an almost satisfied glimmer in his chiselled features.
    Alex’s heart leapt in his throat and his eyes darted to Crowell’s. He felt his breath extinguish from his lungs and he attempted to speak.
    Crowell’s hand shot up in the air. “If you agree to this one test, I can get you out of prison. I assure you,” he crooned in a velvet voice, his eyes hard with intent, “I am a very influential man and all I need from you is your promise.”
    Alex gaped at Crowell, at a loss for words. The man’s vehement promise, he knew, was sincere. Was this a dream of his deluded state? Or reality? He was uncertain, but he pondered, nonetheless. Perhaps if he took the offer he could start anew and disregard his old life? This option was a sure way to avoid prison.
    But scepticism gnawed at him and he knitted his brows, pondering. Was the drug dangerous? Were there any possible side effects? Could Crowell really get him out of prison? These and many more deliberations reeled through his mind. He was unable to answer one before another thought became present.
    With a short pause, he enquired. “Are there any side effects?”
    Crowell’s expression remained neutral, undecipherable, and his fingers grazed along his clean shaven chin. “No,” he stated simply without further explanation.
    Alex’s eyes narrowed in perplexity. He wasn’t yet convinced. “Have you tested it on a person before?”
    It took a brief moment for Crowell to answer, his neutral expressing melting from his face. “No, we haven’t, but all of out animal tests have resulted positively and I assure you I would never allow any of my patients to be harmed from it. I have numerous facilities located in the neighbouring city where the drug has been thoroughly analyzed for any possible side effects.”
    Alex was uncertain of Crowell. Though he could tell the man was not deceitful, something sinister lurked beneath those vivid blue pools, making Alex further unsettled. He continued his interrogation. “Of all people, why would you want to test it on me? I’m sure you can get others to test on with less hassle.” He wasn’t ungrateful for the opportunity to evade jail, but he wanted to ensure he was making the right decision.
    Crowell sighed heavily. His irritation was becoming evident. His face was flushing with colour and his handsome features were dissipating. “Look,” he reasoned, trying to keep his voice levelled, “you can choose to take the offer or you can choose to decline, but I’m a very busy man and I’m going to need an answer.”
    The answer was sudden – so sudden that Alex was uncertain that the words had really escaped his lips. “I’ll do it.”
    A wide grin twisted on Crowell’s face and his eyes flashed with...madness? His eyes, glimmering with satisfaction, fixed on Alex. He extracted a small card from his suede jacket and scrolled on the business card.
    “You must not tell anyone about our meeting or anything about the procedure. This must remain confidential, okay?” His sapphire eyes flickered back to Alex as he handed it to him. They were sombre and the threat of his words lingered behind his eyes.
    Alex nodded again, taking the card and watching in a stupor as Crowell ambled away, his tailored trench coat whipping at his knees. As he disappeared into his black Mercedes, Alex glanced down at the card, observing the tidy scroll. Grande Street, Saturday, 10:00am; largest building.
He re-read the business card numerous times before placing it in his dated jeans. He inhaled deeply, the significance of the meeting failing to sink in. Though he experienced some relief, he was uneasy. Crowell emanated authority and it was as if those intense eyes continued gazing at him – through him.
    The hair on the back of his neck hackled and he shivered, though he was unsure whether it was from the cold or the writhing apprehension stirring in his gut. As he made his way to the car, he clutched his stomach.
    Derik waited by the ramshackle car with increasing impatience flickering across his reddening face. The car he stood next to did not belong to him, as he borrowed it from a drinking companion who owed him a favour. The car was small and old, its white paint peeling from the car and stained with rust.
    Derik’s thick brows furrowed in discontentment as Alex shuffled torpidly towards him. The little hair that remained around his hears and the back of his head was combed over with cheap gel in an attempt to make it appear he had more hair. His chest heaved furiously under the taut brown suit he wore. The seams looked as though they’d give way at any moment and Alex chuckled internally at the mismatched patches crookedly sewn on the elbows and shoulders where his massive frame inflicted the most pressure.
    He could scarcely afford the money for the threadbare suit, much less anything else. He had spent what little money Alex received from his father’s death, gambling it and spending it on alcohol and cigarettes. There was little he could do. Derik was his legal guardian and the brute could not be reckoned with. And now that Alex faced the possibility of release, he knew the money issue would become more desperate. Since the fight, Alex lost his job, having no money to pay for his food. 
    The hulking brute gave Alex a threatening glare with his cold pale eyes. “Where the hell have you been?” He snarled, flaunting a row of crooked, yellow teeth.
Alex, acknowledging Derik’s hostile mood, shrugged and entered the creaky car, unwilling to exchange glances with him.
Derik was like an animal. If you look at him in the eye, he took it as a threat, and Alex knew from experience that no one should be within the same vicinity when that happened.
    Derik scowled, but entered the vehicle, slamming the car door with excessive force and causing the car to shudder violently.
Alex said nothing on their way home; instead, he peered through the grimy windows, deep in contemplation. He reluctantly watched as rain began to pelt the window and the clouds swirling overhead. He tried not to ponder on the future, for every time he did, he felt a sickening twist in his gut. And so, hearing his uncle’s roars and honks reverberating around the car, Alex pressed his face to the cold window and shut his eyes. ‘This’ll be a long day,’ he mused.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#15 2009-01-19 00:01:23

Freddy

wow there really good. nice punx, very nice

I will always protect the one's I love no matter what

#16 2009-01-19 03:57:29

Dira
Nightwalker werewolf illustrator

Wow! I mean really wow! Wish I could actaully write this good. big_smile

#17 2009-01-20 20:56:12

TSDX WERENIMAL HUNTER

So Its Kind Of An Oliver Twist Story? I Hope It Becomes A Real Book wink

#18 2009-01-23 01:39:50

punxnotdead

Thank you guys so much big_smile *Hugs* I hope it does have the chance to be published. That would make it all worth it, not that It isn't without it being published. Every minute spent on this story has been well worth it - a great learning process.
Without further ado...

It wasn’t long before Alex arrived home to gather his belongings that he received a phone call from the police. Evidentially, they were dropping all charges as more investigation was pending. Alex gripped the phone tightly in his sweaty hands long after the caller had hung up. His mind was spinning and he dared not move, or his legs would be unable to support him. For a long time, he remained on the ramshackle couch, staring vacantly towards the large window ahead of him. When he finally regained sensation in his extremities, he hung of the phone and did what he could to avoid the thought of going to the testing facility tomorrow.
    He scrounged through empty cupboards, scouring them for any remnants of edible food. He found nothing but half-consumed cans of raunchy beer, which he dared not drink. He wrinkled his nose and departed to busy himself elsewhere.
---
    That night, he dreamt of solid white walls surrounding him. They were sterile and repulsive as fluorescent lights blazed overhead. He winced as the raunchy odour of rubbing alcohol burned his nostrils and caused his stomach to heave involuntarily. The horrid white walls surrounded him were small and claustrophobic. He called out, the sound distorted and echoing off of the walls. For a long period of time, there appeared to be no response, but the own gentle thrumming of his heartbeat.
    After straining his ears, something sounded – a door opening and blistering yellow rays of sunlight exploded from the open door into the white room.
Alex whirled around to the source of the light and gasped, recoiling.
There stood Crowell, his intense blue eyes clashing against the smooth plains of his features. The sunlight, blazing from behind, cast his face in a demonic shadow, the light folds of his skin appearing more prominent. His perfect face twisted into a wicked smile as he descended towards Alex.

The alarm clock of his stolen cell phone hummed melodically beside his head, rousing him from his troubled slumber.
    Shortly after pushing his way through the decrepit couch, he hastily slipped on a pair of tattered blue jeans, a red t-shirt, and a pair of old sneakers. As he glanced at the time, he knew he had one and a half hours before he was due at the Grande building. It made a mass of butterflies flit within his abdomen and his ravenous hunger was kept at bay.
    Furrowing his brows, he stuffed his hands into his pocket and extracted a handful of quarters and dimes. It was enough for a trip there and back from the building and he sighed, hoping the hour bus ride out of town to the adjacent one would not stimulate too much thought of what would happen. The dream was enough to send a ripple of shivers down his spine. It had seemed so real – so vivid that the thought left a sour taste in his mouth.
    Ignoring the searing unease, he exited the small apartment with little more than a second glance.

Chapter 2
    Over an hour had elapsed since he boarded the bus. It had taken longer than anticipated as the bus crossed the bridge over the lake to the adjacent city. The cramped quarters of the bus was scorching from the mid-summer heat, making the air thick with body odours and gasoline. Fanning himself the entire way, Alex had little time to think of what lay ahead. The roads were congested with traffic as the old bus finally came to a rest at the Grande Street, ejecting numerous people, including Alex.
    Alex sauntered down the lengthy street, numerous people brushing past him and threads of cars streaming past. His eyes fixed on the surrounding buildings with awe. His city was nothing in comparison. These buildings stood tall and erect, snaking upward into the blue-hued sky.
Alex glanced through windows, observing men and women with polished attires and business faces. It was unlike anything he had seen back home – almost as if it was a different world.
    Gazing at all of the passing people, his lips twitched in a smile. He wanted to be here when he finished school.
    It wasn’t until he came to the largest building that he stopped dead in his tracks. His awed green eyes ascended the length of the massive building. It snaked forty floors up, the tinted windows reflecting the sunlight and mirroring the small bundles of cloud cover. The building had been recently built, he knew, because of the clean, crisp appearance it conveyed.
    At that moment, his palms and forehead broke out in sheen of sweat. For reasons unknown to him, his hands began to tremble and his heart picked up at an erratic rate. He could not enter this building, as welcoming as it appeared, for a war raged within his skull. He feared Crowell, though he was uncertain of the cause, but he knew that Crowell had spent a great deal of money exonerating him of his charges. A consideration struck him. If it wasn’t for Crowell, he would be locked away within the confines of a prison cell, fearing for his very life.
    Inhaling deeply, he gathered his bearings and sauntered towards the revolving doors. As he entered the building, he stopped in the doorway, his breath catching in his throat. His eyes glinted in marvel at the expansive room that stretched before him.
    Within the majestic room, Alex examined numerous paintings – classic nudes and shocking impressionistic paintings of Alfred Gough – and various other statues situated around the room. The walls were plaster and decorated with regal symbols and patterns he was unfamiliar with.
A chandelier hovered in the hub of the room, illuminating the space in a rich, vibrant glow.
    Alex took a step forward, hearing his shoes slap noisily against the marble floor and the sharp sound resounded throughout the room. Alex stopped mid-stride, his brows furrowing and his ears pricking for any indication of noise.
Nothing sounded.
    He quizzically peered around the room at the wooden desk near the hub of the room where the receptionist should have been. She was gone. Not a body stirred in the massive room, causing an uneasy feeling to settle in the pit of his stomach. Above a Mozart statue, Alex watched the clock, which read 9:45am. ‘He should be here by now,’ Alex pondered, perplexed. ‘Maybe I got the date wrong,’ he considered, gazing down at the card. The dates corresponded with that scrolled on the card.
    ‘Perhaps Crowell forgot,' Alex contemplated, feeling hope flitter briefly in his gut. To ensure he wasn’t alone, Alex called out.
     “Hello.” His own voice echoed back at him, mirroring his very dream and causing a trail of shivers to ripple down his spine. It reminded him of The Twilight Zone, eerie. His mind reacted. He shouldn’t be here.
    Though discouraged, but thrilled to leave, Alex revolved to face the doors, prepared to exit. His mind was racing with thought and urging his legs to move faster; however, a smooth voice perforated the silence. Alex ceased to push through the doors, and winced from the voice as though a dagger had plunged into his back.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#19 2009-01-25 02:37:02

TSDX WERENIMAL HUNTER

Wow Suspensful!!

#20 2009-01-27 20:19:41

punxnotdead

Thanks big_smile

“You’re early,” Crowell’s calm voice replied from across the room and Alex cloud already feel his intense gaze boring into the back of his skull.
    Alex didn’t immediately respond to the sound of Crowell’s voice. Instead, he stood at the doorway with a sinking feeling in his chest. He suddenly felt terrified, as though the reality was crashing down upon him like a massive tidal wave. However, summoning all of his courage, he whirled around to face Crowell, trying to keep the defeat from his expression.
    Crowell appeared to have overlooked Alex’s uneasy expression and a pleasant grin flashed on his face. He smoothed the folds in his black tailored suit as he spoke. “Come, join me,” he crooned, his head inclined almost scornfully and peering over his hooked nose.
    With a lump in his throat and his eyes averted to the ground, he cursed his feet as they obeyed Crowell’s command. A short time later, he and Crowell entered a roomy elevator. It was awkward for Alex as he watched Crowell enter the thirteenth floor digits in the electronic computer. Alex felt the elevator give a slight jolt as it ascended, doing little to ease his queasy stomach.
    As they stood briefly in silence, Crowell’s hands politely clasped in front of him and watching the computer vacantly. Something was gnawing at the corner of Alex’s mind and he couldn’t help but enquire. “Where’s your staff?”
    Crowell’s blue eyes settled on Alex and he replied simply, “It’s a Saturday. I send most of my staff home for the weekend. I think it’s imperative that my staff are well taken care of.” He gave Alex a reassuring smile, though his words continued to further perplex Alex.
    Something in Crowell’s tone made Alex uncertain, as though there was a deeper reason for him dismissing his staff. But Alex shrugged it off as he felt Crowell’s icy eyes boring into him. He could give nothing away, for he feared to reveal his uneasiness.
    The elevator gave a shrill DING before the doors slid open and the two exited.
    Alex studied the medium-sized sitting room. It resembled nothing of his dream and the feeling of consolation finally tingled in his limbs. The walls were painted a warm yellow, bordered by white crown moulding and numerous pictures. Across from the elevator, the windows looked down upon the entire city, making everything appear miniscule in size.
    A few feet from the windows he saw a grey leather sofa, a coffee table and several magazines splayed on its surface. The room was hospitable and reminded him of all the comforts of home. 
    “Follow me,” Crowell instructed as he led him through a door to his left. When the door opened Alex was surprised. It was small and dingy, an odour of plastic filling his nostrils.
    Overhead the rectangular room, a lamp illuminated the room, which casted much of the furniture into deep shadow. Numerous belongings – a table and chair, a cabinet and counter – were positioned to the left of the room, while to the right Alex spotted a lone chair resting against the wall. When he peered at the chair, the hairs along the back of his neck hackled and the nagging voice resurface, only with more desperation. It urged him to leave, to run as fast as his legs could carry him.
The solid steel chair was adorned with leather shackles and chains.
    With the fear nipping at him, Alex enquired, “Why are those there?” He pointed toward the intimidating chair.
    Crowell peered at him, as though comprehending his fear and smiled warmly. “Precautionary risks,” he assured, “for the well-being of you and my staff. However, I doubt it’ll be necessary for you,” he cooed, glancing at Alex with his penetrating eyes.
    Alex could not leave now. He was too far in. And those eyes seemed to bore through his eyes to the back of his skull, jumbling his thoughts. Something within those blue pools made Alex want to recoil
to keep his distance. Madness?
    His relentless gaze ceased when he rolled up the cuffs of his sleeves to check the time, alleviating Alex momentarily. “Ten fifty five,” he mumbled, his brows furrowed in concentration. “It’s nearly time,” he said, making his way to the door and turning to him. “I’ll need to prepare my doctors and equipment. It’ll be a few minutes; meanwhile you may take a seat on the sofa.” He motioned for Alex to exit the room and he silently complied, his jaw muscles clenched so tightly he could not utter a word.
    Crowell gave Alex a fleeting smile as he sauntered from the room, past the sofa and disappeared into a door opposite of the smaller one.
Alex sank into the sofa, realizing then how tense his body had become. ‘Calm down, he can’t be that bad,’ he assured himself. Surely a man of his stature could not be as secretive as he assumed.
And so, to pass the time, he grabbed a magazine and began skimming through the pages, hoping for something to take his mind off of the gnawing suspicion.
    However, as he flipped through several pages, a distant sound seized his attention and sparked his curiosity. He gazed around the room for anyone that may be watching before he cautiously got to his feet. As he attuned his ears toward the sound, he realized it was issuing from the other side of the door Crowell had disappeared within.
    The sound could be recognized as shouting, he knew, from the high tenor.
At that moment, his legs began to tremble as he neared the door, the shouting becoming more distinguished.
    His insatiable curiosity drew him closer to the door, like a magnet to metal. There were no windows on the door, so, as Alex approached, he grasped the knob, steadied his breathing and slowly began to open the door. When he opened it a sliver, he brought his green eyes to the crevice, he spotted Crowell in a large room, seemingly a lab, since there were medical instruments splayed on the shelved behind him. 
    Crowell was standing fifteen feet away, facing a congregation of four doctors, who wore perturbed expressions on their faces. Crowell had his face to the door, while the other doctors’ facial features were vaguely noticeable.
Crowell’s face was scarlet with anger. His blue eyes frighteningly contrasted the red in his skin, making his demeanour appear colder. Alex had never seen such anger and a sudden jolt of fear shot through his body.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#21 2009-01-27 21:01:35

TSDX WERENIMAL HUNTER

OOOOOOOOH WHAT HAPPENS NEXt!!

#22 2009-01-27 22:06:33

WolfThatCr13dBoy
Website

Very intriguing so far.

In the last two parts I noticed some grammar and style problems, but I'll only get into that if you want me to.

I can't wait to read more, this has the air of something that starts small and builds. I'm looking forward to seeing where this is headed. big_smile

*waddle waddle waddle*
FACE!

#23 2009-01-28 00:55:43

punxnotdead

Welll, thank you very much. I'd love it if you could show me any anomolies, so I have a better chance and to help me improve. THank you big_smile

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#24 2009-01-30 20:33:53

punxnotdead

He continued to peer within; nonetheless, watching as a female doctor stepped forwards. She swept the black cascading tresses from around her throat before she spoke in an urgent, pleading voice. “We cannot use the drug on the patient. It’s dangerous.”
    Crowell growled and a shadow fell across his handsome features, “you told me the drug was ready for human testing,” he snarled, flashing his white teeth. A vain was leaping in his forehead, ready to rupture.
    Another young, brown-haired doctor stepped away from the group, “we only just discovered the side effects. It’s killing our lab animals.” He nearly recoiled when Crowell advanced towards him.
    His icy blue eyes exuded his untamed fury, “We have to do the test today. The boy seems very reluctant as it is, and next time he may not be cooperative.”
    The doctors were awed by Crowell’s demands. Their mouths were agape and their eyes were filled with disbelief. “Are you willing to risk the patient’s life for this? If you give us a little more time...” she was interrupted before she could finish.
    “TIME?!” Crowell roared and the sheer volume of his voice caused Alex to wince, as with all four doctors.  “I’ve given you three years with unlimited access and millions of dollars in research! You’ve had three years to make and discover the effects of the drugs. Too many times I’ve been waiting for a result,” his eyes blazed with persistence and his fists were clenched menacingly at his side.
    The female doctor continued to argue, though taken aback. “We are using a highly unstable and unpredictable drug. We’ve exhausted our research on this drug, trying to get the gene to bond with the chemicals. It isn’t safe...yet,” she said, unable to comply with Crowell’s instructions, “I’ll tell him to leave. I won’t allow someone to die for this, it’s not worth it.”
    She turned away from Crowell, making her way to the door, startling Alex from his transfixion. Before he pulled away at the approaching woman, he saw Crowell grasp her arm and pull her violently, but painlessly into his clutches. His fingers buried into her arm as he turned her to face him. His eyes were burning with malice. His voice was low and dripping with venom.
“Get in my way again, b****, and you’ll regret it. That goes for all of you,” he murmured to the cluster of flabbergasted doctors, who appeared in a horrified stupor.
    The female’s dark eyes locked with Crowell’s unrelenting gaze. She pulled away from his clutches with a look of defeat in her eyes and fear. “Prepare the drug,” she said in a sombre voice, refusing to look at Crowell and turning away from him.
    Alex was clutching the doorknob between his sweaty fingers. His whole body was in a terrified stupor. He could do nothing but remain rooted to the spot. His mind was frozen in thought. Sweat trickled down his back and forehead, causing him to shiver. He held his breath, afraid to exhale and be overheard. He could hear his heart clamouring in his eardrums and hammering against his ribs, wondering why no one else could hear it.
     Overwhelming fear twisted in his gut, making his muscles as hard and stiff as granite. Before he shut the door, he contemplated what to do. However, too many thoughts were running through his mind. ‘I should never have come.’ The sickening realization swelled in his throat and his legs felt prepared to give way at any moment.
    With reluctance, Alex gave a fleeting glance through the crack in the door, only to see two icy orbs gazing at him from the other room.
Crowell had spotted him.
Chapter 3
    Alex’s heart leapt in his throat and an explosion of adrenaline coursed through his body. He stumbled backward with horror-filled eyes, wrenching his sweaty grip from the doorknob and bolted toward the elevator.
    A short time later, Crowell exploded from the metal door, growling with contempt before he pursued Alex.
    Alex’s agile, lithe body lunged over the sofa and coffee table as he reached the elevator. He violently jabbed his finger into the button and waited with growing desperation as Crowell neared like a demon from the pits of hell, with outstretched arms and a demonic expression on his grimacing face – the very embodiment of evil.
    ‘No! No! This can’t be happening!’ He thought as the elevator doors refused to open. Crowell was closing the small gap between them, his face contorted with determination. With his mind racing, Alex abandoned his endeavour to reach the elevator and darted for the window, prepared to dive through if necessary. He lunged over the sofa, avoiding Crowell’s clutches and felt his fingers graze his t-shirt. His muscles propelled him faster than he thought possible and Crowell’s meagre grip faltered, allowing Alex to lurch towards the window.
    Relief was fleeting; however, as a firm hand grasped his shoulder before he could jump. Despite Crowell’s stature, he heaved Alex off of his feet and sent him reeling to the ground. Alex’s left shoulder blade struck the hardwood floor first with an ear-splitting SMACK, followed by a searing pain. He exhaled sharply from the force of the impact, heavily winded. He could not suck the air in time to regain his composure before Crowell advanced and dragged him to his feet by the collar of his shirt. He bellowed for his officers.
    Finally able to catch his breath, he was now panting heavily, exerted. He was desperate, fearful, and defeated in the unrelenting clutches of Crowell. The firm grip crushed his arm and caused him to wince. He didn’t dare look at Crowell. The ice cold eyes would reveal his demise and further dampen his predicament. However, as the elevator chimed and the doors slithered open, all emotions and doubts were abandoned. He was now propelled by his survival instincts and the need for an escape.
    Crowell, certain that the boy would no longer struggle, eased his grip. Given the opportunity, Alex manoeuvred viciously in the hands of his captor, tearing free from his grip. He thrust his elbow and felt it strike Crowell’s face. He could hear his bone colliding with bone as he bolted towards the elevator before the doors could slide shut.
    Crowell crumpled to the floor, clutching his jaw and spitting out a mouthful of scarlet saliva. A string of curses followed and his face became an unnatural red hue. 
    Alex slipped into the elevator and waited for the doors to shut. There were no stairs he could take, only an elevator. This was his last attempt to evade capture, as all other options seemed futile. But he did not want to be present when Crowell recovered from the blow. He did not want to be on the receiving end of his anger. His heart roared wildly in his ears, like a freight train speeding out of control. He gripped to the elevator railings so tightly his palms began to ache, afraid that Crowell’s firm grasp would tear him from potential safety.
    Horror engulfed him as Crowell vigorously wiped the blood from his mouth and got to his feet. Crowell staggered, dazed from the unexpected blow and lunged towards the closing doors, his face crumpled in pain and various other expressions.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#25 2009-01-31 01:53:31

TSDX WERENIMAL HUNTER

Continue Continue!!!

Board footer