The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#51 2009-12-02 17:40:47

AxleSargos
El Lobo Loco

Re: To the wolves of the forum...

I'm to unstable to be Alpha. I would like to be Beta but I'm to weak. I would probably be the very bottom or a least second from it.

Is it true that the beast is waking
Stirring in his restless sleep tonight
In the pale moonlight

#52 2009-12-24 14:58:51

Moonsong
Website

I think I'm a beta wolf. It's just that I'm not as outgoing and ready to lead a pack as an alpha.

#53 2009-12-24 15:33:57

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

You guys do know that "Alpha" and "Beta" roles are a myth right?

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#54 2009-12-25 00:05:01

WolfVanZandt
Website

O.o

Do they quality as myth?

#55 2009-12-25 00:29:29

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Well, they are a concept created by people who were going off the human cultural tendency to assume a hierarchy.  In reality, it has been found that wolves conform to need and talent based roles, rather than authority levels.  In other words, there is no real Alpha, there are leaders (this would be the only real "Alpha"), guards, peacekeepers, attackers, pup-raisers, etc, all fulfilled by the members most suited to them.  There are positions of dominance and submission, and parents are almost always dominant, but these are not constant and play less of a role in the way the pack functions than "Alpha, Beta, Omega" implies.  That Man Among Wolves dude demonstrated this: first, he was the pack leader, and had three other roles by the other wolves, then he left for a while and another wolf became leader, so he became a peacemaker (the leader and guard were aggressive).  So this whole thing of "who is an alpha and who is a beta?" is out the window, because there are no real betas.
As I said though, raccoons are anarchists.

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#56 2009-12-25 01:04:14

WolfVanZandt
Website

Aye, yer right, and all jokes aside, alpha-gamma classification is only valid as it was originally used, as a classification technique in sociometry.

It can be applied to wolf groups, but not the way most Werewolf/Therian forum posters seem to think.

#57 2009-12-25 21:33:55

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Raccoons have an interesting place in this.  They kind of function as one member packs, staking out their own overlapping territories and collaborating with other animals who aren't encroaching (which can be other Raccoons or any animal that is neither food nor threat).  As I said, this can easily describe me.

#58 2010-01-04 16:37:07

Aloneness

Beta ... i'm not vary motivated unless given a reason and i'll also passive about alot of things which is why i'm not an alpha but i help my alpha out when she needs it and i will take matters in my own hand if need be, also that is my current rank in the pack i'm in, i'm more for stratigys and intelligence.

Last edited by Aloneness (2010-01-04 16:38:30)

I lay in the freshly fallen snow that's been dyed red form blood looking up at the full moon. "I wonder what will happen to me when this is all over?"

#59 2010-01-04 17:04:11

FenrirFinale

It's truly odd to read over all this and think of yourself as just another outcast or misfit. You'd think that I'd have found a pack by now. Then again knowing only one other wolf therian in person it seems to be a bit idiotic to try to form a pack. hmm

Always happy to chat so add me on Kik at ArcticRhapsody.

Seize the Night~

#60 2010-01-05 00:16:29

WolfVanZandt
Website

There are plenty of Therian groupings around. There are also plenty of Therians that live by themselves - probably more of the later.

#61 2010-01-06 02:10:01

Trevorious

Well I just joined tonight, so for now,pack of one for me, I'm about as far from WVZ and Sherlock as possible, Edmonton, Canada.

Upon reading Sherlocks post about a hierarchy being a myth, I feel I would serve my family/pack to my best ability, and take pride in being useful. I would likely be a hunter 1st, parent 2nd alpha 3rd, and If i forgot other roles, they obviously are not for me :p

But in the traditional hierarchy sense, I'm the knight, NEVER the king. serving but respected.

I would like to join a pack, but they must live within 50 miles with me, I must be close enough to serve a purpose in RL.

I never been physical challenged so I don't know if i have Alpha in me. 6 foot 1 inch, 245 pounds, I'm a big boy smile

#62 2010-01-06 02:16:42

WolfVanZandt
Website

Whatever structure Therian groups have - I've never known one to be established by physical challenge. Usually the leader is the one who does the most work or the one with the most useful experience.

BTW, I have Therian friends in Alberta (assuming they haven't migrated yet.)

#63 2010-01-06 04:00:24

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

new guy wrote:

Well I just joined tonight, so for now,pack of one for me, I'm about as far from WVZ and Sherlock as possible, Edmonton, Canada.

It doesn't matter: I don't really do "packs" like that.  Also, not that I have any problem with it, but it's "Sherlawk", not "Sherlock": purposefully misspelled.

Upon reading Sherlocks post about a hierarchy being a myth, I feel I would serve my family/pack to my best ability, and take pride in being useful.

That's pretty much the point of it: everyone is happy to be useful to the others.  Communism.

Oldy VanZandt wrote:

Whatever structure Therian groups have - I've never known one to be established by physical challenge. Usually the leader is the one who does the most work or the one with the most useful experience.

Of course.  This is the best situation for a pack of humans.  As I said, in real animal packs, there isn't a hierarchy, only roles filled by those who can best fill them, and one of them just happens to be 'leader'.  In wild wolf packs, the best leader is the strong, experienced, parent, or whoever goes the longest in a dominance fight.  In therian packs, which are really more like "covens", the best leader (if you even have one) is the one who has the most experience and commitment to the group.

#64 2010-01-06 18:12:02

Trevorious

Sorry for the bad spelling, was just sounding it out as i typed, but yeah, I ackowledge there is much more to leading a pack, the just being the best fighter (but it helps). I don't have much experience in this community, and would not be so rash to assume a leadership role.

WVZ, you mentioned you had Therian friends in alberta, do you recall what area's? I would love to meet some folks in my area....Is there a particular place in this forum to find people near you? could you tell me?

That is all for now

#65 2010-01-07 02:56:16

WolfVanZandt
Website

Used to be one in Edmonton, but he was getting ready to move last I heard from him.

I can't think of anyone on this forum particularly from Western or Central Canada, but this isn't a Therian forum (there are Therians here but that's not the purpose of the website). you would ahve more luck finding Therians on a Therian forum like Weresource or the Werelist.

#66 2010-01-21 20:25:45

Thira-Alpha
Website

i am definately alpha. hence......my usnername!!!

-------------------------
Howling
Its a Hobby ^_^

#67 2010-01-30 08:13:21

SilentStrider

What an interesting topic.  I'd have to say I'd be either a Beta or an Omega.  I prefer playing a supportive role when I'm in a group, but if I don't like the way a group is going or doing things, I'll go my own way without any worries if I'm alone or if anyone else follows.

My view of the Omega isn't the bottom rung of the totem pole as many others believe.  I have always thought of the Omega as the member that looks after the emotions of the pack.  They're the playful ones.  They like to play with the pups and try to cheer up anyone else feeling down.  I also kind of think of the Omega as the one that doesn't really care about where they are in the pack structure.  They're just there doing their own thing within the pack and enjoying life.  If there's no one else doing what ever it is they're doing, oh well, they'll just keep on having fun.  If someone else joins them, all the better.  That's just my opinion, so I don't know how it matches up with everyone else's.

I suppose the lone wolf aspect could also apply to me too.  I'm not looking for a mate, nor have I challenged an alpha and have been kicked out, but I do like to do my own thing without much worries as to who agrees with me or not.  So quite often I'll find myself alone, seeing what everyone else misses out on.  It kind of makes me feel privileged in a way.

Now, in light of what Sherlawk had to say about our misconception of the pack structure, I think I have to review my own opinions too.  If I understand him correctly would it be accurate to say that in certain situations different pack members play the role of Alpha.  For example if the pack is hunting, then they would all listen and follow whichever one of them is the best hunter.  However, given another situation, I'm not sure of what makes a good example, but lets say something like moving the pack from one point to another, then the member who was the most familiar with the travel route might take the lead.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-01-30 08:16:31)

#68 2010-01-30 20:52:19

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Thira-Alpha wrote:

i am definately alpha. hence......my usnername!!!

No, you're the Omega here. >:|

SilentStrider wrote:

I have always thought of the Omega as the member that looks after the emotions of the pack.

This is the "peacemaker" role.

Now, in light of what Sherlawk had to say about our misconception of the pack structure, I think I have to review my own opinions too.  If I understand him correctly would it be accurate to say that in certain situations different pack members play the role of Alpha.  For example if the pack is hunting, then they would all listen and follow whichever one of them is the best hunter.  However, given another situation, I'm not sure of what makes a good example, but lets say something like moving the pack from one point to another, then the member who was the most familiar with the travel route might take the lead.

Pretty much, though it's not so much "leadership" as just any role that they pick up.  The best gaurd is the one who gaurds things, the best hunter is the one who hunts things, the best tactician is the one who leads hunts, and the best caregiver cares for pups.

Last edited by SherlawkDragon (2010-05-11 17:27:00)

#69 2010-05-09 15:34:59

Thira-Alpha
Website

2 Sherlawk Dragon:
Oh really? I am a born alpha. I used to beta in my old pack. I have started my own pack. And am now alpha-female.
No offense but you shouldn't be so rude here
-Thira

Howling
Its a Hobby ^_^

#70 2010-05-10 10:01:41

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

You know, it can quite often be said that anyone who needs to broadcast that they are an Alpha isn't one. And you haven't offered any real explanation for why you are an Alpha, which makes it seem like you're just on a power trip.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#71 2010-05-10 15:48:48

Thira-Alpha
Website

whatever. say wat u want. i am in no mood to fight w/ u guys >hmm

Howling
Its a Hobby ^_^

#72 2010-05-11 05:47:11

lupusindefined
Dark Shadow

...dont worry about it...you  seem to get a tosser in  most forums and shady seems to be the one for this forum....i preffer to  just ignore the smile

Lupus

silver bullets dont work... not on me anyway =P ...the other guy however.... *looks at dead body lying on the ground*

#73 2010-05-11 10:32:43

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Just because I ask reasonable questions and discourage people's fantasies, I'm now the 'forum tosser'. Everybody take note.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#74 2010-05-11 18:02:19

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Lupus: Shady has a tendency to lash out, but I would say she is fine here.  Her statements were true.  I also know that we can seem mean sometimes, but if you don't have some level of people demanding people back up claims, you quickly have P-Shifting starseeds who are waiting for the mothership to come conquer the world.  Maybe we could both try to be less abrasive about it, but I should note that abrasive has always been my style.

Thira-Alpha wrote:

2 Sherlawk Dragon:
Oh really? I am a born alpha. I used to beta in my old pack. I have started my own pack. And am now alpha-female.
No offense but you shouldn't be so rude here
-Thira

Oh?  I shouldn't be "rude"?  Well that's very interesting that you think of me as being "Rude", I would put down a different view of the situation.
You came into the forum a little while ago and started making grandiose claims with no support whatsoever.  You dump large volumes of single-sentence posts on the forum from time to time, which offer little more to the discussion than raising your post count and reviving dead topics.  No, it's not that bad to respond to many topics, nor is it bad to give a single sentence response, nor is it even bad to raise dead topics: on the contrary, if you are adding relevant, substantial material to a discussion, it is a good thing.  This is not what you have been doing.  Even when you do, you have a tendency to say things which reasonable people need support to believe, but refuse to offer any.

So: once again, you say you are the "alpha" here, and get offended when I half-jokingly call you an "omega" on this forum.  I see nothing to say otherwise, especially when ShadyHowl seems to be agreeing with me.  The other people in this thread contribute alot of things to the discussion on a regular basis.  So have you, actually, but 90% of the time, you do not.

You are not the worst person about this I've seen here by far, but you have alot of room for improvement.  It's ok to post single sentences in topics that have a discussion going, but it's annoying for topics that are over a month old, so the next time you post in a dead thread, think about whether you're actually contributing or just making noise.  If you're going to make statements like "I was a born alpha" or "I am a reincarnated wolf", you need to offer some back up for those statements, especially when you talk about p-shifting.  You should also post with decent grammar and spelling, but you don't seem to have a problem with that so keep that up.

Now, it's not like the "Internet Police" will come after you for being annoying, but these things add up if you don't follow them.  No one's going to ban you or anything for not doing this, but people won't respect you if you don't follow some level of netiquette.  Spirituality discussions like these tend to enforce that.  So from now on, think about what you are saying when you post, and try to contribute in a non-annoying manner.  Can you do that?

=======================================

So, now that we've thoroughly sidetracked the issue with that.  Is there anything else to discuss here?
We seemed to be talking about pack-structure, and I was saying that there is no "alpha", but different roles.

#75 2010-05-11 23:40:04

WolfVanZandt
Website

I mainly base my idea of therianthropy on the Therians I actually know - in real life. A "Therian" on the Internet could be anybody or anything for all I know. I've known several Therians that I actually considered "alphas" in real life. The common factor, though, is that none of them ever called themselves "alpha". My impression that self-proclamation as "alpha" is pretty good indication of non-alpha status.

Board footer