The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-24 07:57:28

something.....?
Website

Why full moon?

In legends, it says werewolves transform on the full moon, But why? why not new moon, or just eclipses?
Please help me understand this, because I don't.

Right, kick ass. Well, don't want to sound like a dick or nothin', but, ah... it says on your chart that you're gently caressed up. Ah, you talk like a cigarette, and your shite's all retarded. What I'd do, is just like... like... you know, like, you know what I mean, like...

#2 2006-10-24 09:17:47

The Busboy
Administrator

Re: Why full moon?

Take a look through the "Werewolf Legends and Lore" forum here.  I think a lot of full moon references are actually more based on Hollywood movies.

#3 2006-10-24 17:59:44

something.....?
Website

Oh. Ok.

Right, kick ass. Well, don't want to sound like a dick or nothin', but, ah... it says on your chart that you're gently caressed up. Ah, you talk like a cigarette, and your shite's all retarded. What I'd do, is just like... like... you know, like, you know what I mean, like...

#4 2006-10-25 00:57:04

WolfMontana

My 62 pesos, I think a part of the reason might be the moons link to human passion and insanity. It's not really proven that the moon has any effect at all, but most people tend to think that the crazies come out during a full moon. wink You'd probably get more interesting discussion too from folks with a pagan persuasion about the moons spiritual and magical properties. These all play a part I reckon.

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#5 2006-10-25 07:51:21

something.....?
Website

Yeah, crazies come out in my neighborhood,just not on a full moon. They come out on a new moon.

#6 2006-10-25 09:37:31

The Busboy
Administrator

#7 2007-01-21 21:01:33

batailleros

WolfMontana wrote:

My 62 pesos, I think a part of the reason might be the moons link to human passion and insanity. It's not really proven that the moon has any effect at all, but most people tend to think that the crazies come out during a full moon. wink You'd probably get more interesting discussion too from folks with a pagan persuasion about the moons spiritual and magical properties. These all play a part I reckon.

Human passion and insanity. I definetlely agree with you. I've been reading Georges Bataille, "a novelist, essayist, poet and philosopher" who wrote great deal on eroticism in the inner life of man, and its been filtering into what I have been thinking about the werewolf.

The moon is imbued with a sacred quality when it comes up in the myth of the werewolf. It causes a violent change, causing the person to become a creature with chaotic energy, a creature which goes to extremes that allow it in its drive for violation and release to transcend its mortality, to feel overcome, lost.

The moon outlasts us, yet can entrance us, it is a bright light in which one may get a glimpse for the desire to go beyond the limits of oneself, in awe of that which outlasts us. When I think about the moon, I recall a quote from one of my favorite movies, Kissed. In describing her necrophiliac desire, she states to her boyfriend: "It's like looking into the sun without going blind. I'm consumed."

In his introduction to Erotism: Death and Sensuality, Bataille says that on a fundamental level we are bound up in various processes in which beings maintain their discontinuous (separate) existence to the violation and dissolution of the discontinous being. In asexual reproduction, one cell divides into two, and sexual, two become one. Those basic processes may be fairly different from us in our subjective life, but these processes linking death to reproduction, the violation of ones individual self is the dominant element in the fascination of eroticism.

In the werewolf there is the spirit of transgression.

#8 2007-01-21 22:14:21

LoupGarouAngel
Website

Very Very nicely put batailleros.

"You're like one of those lab rats that hits the pleasure button instead of the food until it dies!" Sam-Houses of the Holy.
"Dude, you Fugly." Dean-Scarecrow.
A therian who's a wanna be screenwriter, but doesn't have a life story that fits the bill...
http://loupgarouangel.deviantart.com/

#9 2007-01-31 18:38:24

Black_Fur
Pancake dealer
Website

WolfMontana wrote:

The thing is, from what I've read and heard about psychology and psychiatry, at the full moon people are more emotional, more sensitive. Not only women. So those who suffer from mental diseases are more unstable than usual. I do not suffer from anything except that I'm hypersensitive sad and I've noticed that at the full moon, I'm even more emotional than usual. It has something to do with the electromagnetic field, when the moon is full it does something to the tides, people and animals etc...

That's my opinion smile Am I right? Am I wrong?

#10 2007-02-02 22:18:27

WolfMontana

Well, I'm all for it. smile I have a certain female thing that seems to cooincide with the full moon, and the combo of those two is veerry volatile.

(poor Strummer lol)

#11 2007-02-02 23:00:33

Black_Fur
Pancake dealer
Website

WolfMontana wrote:

Well, I'm all for it. smile I have a certain female thing that seems to cooincide with the full moon, and the combo of those two is veerry volatile.

(poor Strummer lol)

Boy do I know what you mean! lol I had that this week.........Yikes!

#12 2007-02-03 10:31:09

WolfMontana

*comfort* wink

#13 2007-02-03 16:22:02

Black_Fur
Pancake dealer
Website

big_smile Thankies...it was a heck of a week mad

#14 2007-02-03 22:58:40

Siverwolf

I get stir crazy on full moon nights myself. 
I have an aching to ride around at night in my red truck in the foot hills or mountains.
I just have the feeling that I'm searching for something.

Siverwolf.

Homo - Lycanthropus

#15 2007-03-13 23:56:57

CatWolf4891

One reason I can think of, and probably mentioned somewhere already, is that the full moon may influence werewolves more on a psychological level.  The full moon has become a icon or symbol for the wild soul being freed by moonlight or its presence.  In such case, sensing the full moon may stir the wolf in one a bit, but actually catching a glimpse of it may cause certain wolfy urges and desires, instincts and thoughts to trigger and suddenly become so overwhelming that you can't possibly ignore it.  Every time I look at the full moon i feel the beastly sensations try and take me.  This may just be a result in the modern idea of the wolves/werewolves and the full moon...but it could be more...which would be interesting big_smile

The Full Moon to humans is just a rock; The Full Moon to me is a symbol of freedom and release
A Howl to humans scare them; A Howl to me is a harmonious song...
And I Howl back.
I am SUCH the Romantic big_smile   Awwoooooooooo!

#16 2007-05-23 09:12:39

native-lycan
Website

yes, werewolves can shift on any lunar phase, but the full moon holds more energy, so werewolves feel more empowered on fullmoon nights.....they don't have to use as much energy on fullmoons

I'm A True Follower Of The Ancient Ways, Which Include Believing In Ancient Spirits, Like The Spirit Of Predators Like The Wolf Or The Jaguar, This Are My Spirit Guides..... THE DARK PREDATOR WILL PREY ON YOUR SOUL, I'M THE WEREJAGUARWOLF.......GRGRRRRR!!!

#17 2007-05-23 22:19:25

Siverwolf

It's long been suspected that full moons may have psycological effects on human behavior. 
Does the full moons energy rest in it's gravitational pull?  The gravity affects the oceans but does it also effect us which are 80% water?

Link:
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b1 … /dyar.html

Siverwolf.

Last edited by Siverwolf (2007-05-23 22:23:14)

Homo - Lycanthropus

#18 2007-05-24 21:27:55

native-lycan
Website

I think it does, after all, we produce energy waves when we think, the moon has energy, and energy affects energy big_smile I feel so smart!!

I'm A True Follower Of The Ancient Ways, Which Include Believing In Ancient Spirits, Like The Spirit Of Predators Like The Wolf Or The Jaguar, This Are My Spirit Guides..... THE DARK PREDATOR WILL PREY ON YOUR SOUL, I'M THE WEREJAGUARWOLF.......GRGRRRRR!!!

#19 2007-05-24 23:09:32

Siverwolf

Yeah, it seems more logical for the full moon to manifest more physical problems in people than mental.  I'm not sure though, that just my opinion given the facts above.  *shrugs*

Siverwolf.

Homo - Lycanthropus

#20 2007-05-26 22:27:44

WolfMontana

native-lycan wrote:

I think it does, after all, we produce energy waves when we think, the moon has energy, and energy affects energy big_smile I feel so smart!!

*giggle* lol

I think it does, we're a whole hell uva lot of water, so perhaps the moon is affecting a kind of inner tide. smile I certainly feel drawn to it, but that might just be cause it's big, the brightest thing in the sky, and beautiful. big_smile

#21 2007-05-26 23:07:39

Siverwolf

Mabe it's just gravity of the moon drawing on you WolfMontana.  big_smile  LOL

Siverwolf.

Homo - Lycanthropus

#22 2007-05-27 00:28:15

native-lycan
Website

I do have to agree with wolfmontana, the moon its one of the most beautiful things in the sky smile

#23 2007-05-27 21:54:23

Siverwolf

I enjoy gazing at the stars also and venus is very bright right now.

Siverwolf.

Homo - Lycanthropus

#24 2007-05-27 22:21:43

Black Shuck
Website

Star gazing's really fun. You know what else is fun? Meteor showers! big_smile Those are cool. I kinda wish I had a high-powered telescope so I could see some nebulas or something. Those are really pretty! Pictures of space are just phenominal sometimes!

"Would you love a monsterman?
Could you understand beauty of the beast?
I would do it all for you, would you do it all,
Do it all for me?" -Lordi

#25 2007-05-27 22:59:10

native-lycan
Website

they're very hipnotizing!! wink

Board footer