The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-08 05:41:21

Johnlindsey289

Dog Soldiers ( 2002).

It's a great and gore-infested horror thriller from England about these soldiers that get lost in the woods then hide out in a Cabin only to find out that there are Werewolves outside waiting for them.

It's got great acting, good gore, cool werewolf make-up, decapitations and more making this a must see.

If you enjoy this movie i also recommend these similar movies: " Aliens", " Predator", " Predator 2", " Freddy Vs. Jason", " Demons", " An American Werewolf in London", " The Howling", " From Dusk Till Dawn", " Ginger Snaps", " Vampire Hunter D", "Van Helsing", " The Deadly Spawn", " Cemetery Man", " Vampires", " The Return of the Living Dead", "Return of the Living Dead 3", " Bio-Zombie", " 28 Days Later....", "Dawn of the Dead", " The Evil Dead", "Re-Animator" and "Shaun of the Dead".

#2 2004-10-08 09:09:26

The Busboy
Administrator

Re: Dog Soldiers ( 2002).

Johnlindsy289, "Dog Soldiers" is awesome, it's on my top 5 list, I heard about this movie a long time before it came out on DVD from a Friend of mine who is into horror films and told me to check out the movie's website.  The website was extremely iintriguing, as there was a great teaser ad on it.  Then I heard nothing of the movie again until I saw it on a previewed DVD rack at Blockbuster Video, and that's when I immediately bought it, I LOVE THIS FILM!

#3 2004-10-08 14:03:37

slave2moonlight
Website

Dog Soldiers was great. I loved the heads of the werewolves, though I felt their bodies needed much more hair! I also wish I could have told the human characters apart better, and understood what they were saying better, ha. But it was a great movie from what I was able to comprehend, ha. Love that "we're surrounded" type stuff!

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." -- "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" -- "What's that star on the wall for?" -- "I've got a bad feeling about this." -- "I didn't get a 'harumph' outta that guy!" -- "You wanna talk to God? Let's go see him together. I've got nothing better to do."

#4 2004-10-11 00:18:03

WolfVanZandt
Website

Yeah, I noticed that also. And I don't like bald, rubbery Werewolves.

#5 2004-11-16 12:44:47

Chris Prunckle
Website

I'm sure you are aware of this, but Dog Soldiers: Fresh Meat begins filming next year.  Here is a link to some more information about the movie and a teaser poster.

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=216

#6 2004-11-16 13:38:16

The Busboy
Administrator

Cool, hopefully that will be a good movie (I liked "Dog Soldiers").  When it gets a theater release date we'll have to have someone open up it's own forum.

#7 2004-11-16 15:38:56

Speedbump

A sequel? *perk*

#8 2008-01-03 19:10:25

JoeyGowdy
Website

Absolutely loved it !!

Sincerely, Joey Paul Gowdy
IMDb 1 | IMDb 2 | FaceBook | Where's Joey?

#9 2008-01-25 00:17:40

DeweyWolfyn
Website

Did someone say Dog Soldiers 2?  I am SO there. Like Busboy, DS is extremely high ranking in my werewolf collection.

I don' eat nobody  ceptin' dose animals dat wants eatin'. Gators, chickens, nutria, muskrat, lizards, snakes....So don't be 'fraid of little Dewey, no. I just a puppy dog in a wolf suit.

#10 2008-01-27 16:32:35

BrayRoadBeast

Thanks to the SciFi channel, I was introduced to that little nugget of werewolf goodness a couple of years ago. 

Bravo Neil Marshall!

#11 2009-07-31 08:00:50

Mymloch

I just watched this movie for the first time.  I have to say that it was probably my favorite werewolf movie to date.  I'm a fan of Kevin McKidd from his role in Rome, and he rocked in this, too.  Good to hear his original accent.  Great flick.

Last edited by Mymloch (2009-07-31 08:01:29)

#12 2009-07-31 17:57:41

Delta Wolfman

Love this movie. Saw it on Valentine's night on the sci-fi channel(gently caress you sy-fy). Really good movie. Bought the special edition tin box case at Best Buy the other day. 15 bucks.

Last edited by Delta Wolfman (2009-07-31 17:57:55)

#13 2009-08-30 12:15:36

Fang87

Among the top 3 best werewolf movies I've seen and among only two of which that I would consider as having any fear factor. Actually the only issue I had with the make-up was that the heads looked a little bigger than they ought to.

Rumor has it though that the sequel to Dog Soldiers is going to be a poor American remake. Don't know if that is true or not, but I guess how good it is ultimately depends on whether or not Neil Marshall returns to direct it. Wonder what the plot would be if it is a direct sequel.

"It's like a party in my mouth except everyone's throwing-up." Fry - Futurama

#14 2009-08-30 12:27:34

Viergacht

I think I'm the only person who DIDN'T like the movie. I found it very boring, the werewolves - with their skinny, nude bodies and oversized heads - looked like a transplant experiment, and the 'twist ending' was so lame a 4 year old could have figured it out.

#15 2009-08-31 20:15:29

Totalimmortal
HAHAHAHA...get it?

Honestly, I thought it was pretty well-made.  The acting didn't suck, the tension was built very well, and despite the low budget, the special effects were actually pretty good.  For a direct-to-DVD movie (or at least it was direct to DVD in the states - I think it was theatrical in the UK!) it's pretty damn awesome!

I'll come down and get you high.  Maybe sing you a lullaby.  Sing you to sleep, a sleep you'll never wake from.  Sing you to coma, so to speak.

#16 2009-08-31 21:27:32

bloodlust
werewolf guardian
Website

Its one oof my favorites.

"Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for a friend."
http://s1.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=152377

#17 2009-09-01 09:13:47

UNODRAGONE
Website

ah, I wasn't a fan of the way the werewolves looked like Viergacht stated, the legs were way too skinny and the heads were massive but I enjoyed the movie over all. As far as the sequel, don't hold your breath, there is a lot of conflict with the production of it.

"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist
within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to
break free from the abyss and move silently among us."

#18 2009-09-07 16:46:55

WereWolfH

Does anyone know anything about the sequel? Moderator? UK fan? somebody

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

#19 2009-09-07 17:57:47

zockereinstein

As far as I know, the project has been in "standby" since 2005. Perhaps the supposedly growing interest about werewolves could change this but there have been no news since then. Sorry man.

#20 2009-09-18 21:17:38

Roi Doberwolf
Pleasantville resident
Website

Chris Prunckle wrote:

I'm sure you are aware of this, but Dog Soldiers: Fresh Meat begins filming next year.  Here is a link to some more information about the movie and a teaser poster.

http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=216

Say what?! O.O
A second?! AWESOMENESS! In fact I just bought the first in a collectors edition metally case for like $13 at Best Buy! big_smile

"Man is not a beast. Compared to man, beast are angels. Do they kill their own for the sake of killing?
Do they worship Satan? Man wrecks, and ravages, and calls the devil. But unlike beasts, and unlike angels...
Man can cry, and confess, and repent. Change, and begin again. GIVE THE DEVIL HELL!"

#21 2011-09-16 18:29:12

WereWolfH

wow, It wasn't meant to be I guess.

Just so everyone knows, they've been showing Dog Soldiers lots on cable.

I still can't watch it all the way through. Partly b/c there was no way to f$#%ing win against them.

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

#22 2011-09-17 03:43:32

fearless freak

here's something to tide you over till then

--rGOArTx8">http://www.youtube.com/watch?vbig_smile--rGOArTx8

if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

#23 2012-05-07 16:36:27

The Busboy
Administrator

From another forum topic that was closed (since this one already existed):

robkahil wrote:

This here folks is my review of Neil Marshall's Dog Soldiers.  My blog/website http://blueflamingos.weebly.com/beyond-the-word.html  has pictures with captions (from the movie) and a clip I chose from YouTube. 

I first saw this movie- or the end of it- on SciFi a few years ago.  My mom liked it while I was still frightened of werewolves then.  After ninety minutes of howling, ripped limbs, and gutted humans I finally got over my fear.  Do you really want to ask why I didn’t fear this?  Well, I was sitting next to my mom.  Mamma Bear can kill any werewolf just by slapping it in the face.  Werewolves don’t exist, but this movie almost put my fear back into them. 

In the Scottish highlands a squad of British soldiers is on a training mission- or so I gathered.  Unbeknownst to them a team of someone(s) was there to trap a werewolf and… I’ve said too much.  Let’s just say they all grossly underestimated how many beasts were stalking them.  After a lone survivor (Liam Cunningham) of the second group is found, all start hauling ass to get out of there.  The werewolves have arrived.  More saviors- a pretty woman (Megan Cleasby) and her dog Sam take them to a cottage. 

After this the initial shock response is handled very well under the circumstances.  The military men can’t grasp the concept of werewolves until a second attack.  Between the increasing number of strikes and rapidly depleting soldiers there is talk of werewolves, werewolves, conspiracy, and more werewolves.  Dark comedy is strewn about- such as the dog gnawing on one of the soldiers’ exposed intestines during an attack…  What?  I told you it was dark…

Every event in this movie has purpose.  It moves the plot along and nothing is tedious, as some horror movies tend to be.  For a bunch of tough guys they are either sissies- well look at their situation, I’d be pissing my pants all over the place-, funny, or even enigmatic at points but we care about all of them before they die…  Werewolves are used as men in suits (with stilts for height) and animatronic features (such as moving the muzzle and ears for realism).  Director Neil Marshall was brilliant in his use of lighting, giving enough for the violence to set in. 

What I’m trying to say is he doesn’t shy away from showing the audience what they’re up against with the soldiers.  These werewolves are just so downright scary, brutal, and smart.  Instead of going all out each werewolf goes out in waves, hiding in the dark, or other things I don’t want to ruin.  Door handles aren’t a problem either.  Megan reveals a neat little history for the werewolves and an unexpected event lets the wolves in. 

The gore isn’t glorified even when it is in droves.  This is realistic for a low budget- which means there are no computer graphics.  Like my writing, the movie just shows in an objective manner what happens in certain situations.  Under the right conditions this movie is just creepy with the atmosphere too.  You’ll hear the werewolves grumbling about in the dark.  The constant fog and moonlight leaving the werewolves in silhouettes; which leads to terrifying jump scares.

You’ll never be bored in this movie.  It simply isn’t possible.  Oh and before I forget, the acting is phenomenal.  Bad-ass veterans (sorta-kinda) Liam Cunningham as Captain Ryan and Sean Pertwee (holding his intestines in) as Sergeant Harry Wells are unforgettable in their roles; both men can clearly lead an entire army based off of their stern looks alone.  Sam the Dog is adorable and no one would or should want that little fuzzy guy to die. 

Overall this is an astounding movie which deserves far more credit.  It has spirit, it has heart thudding action, and suspense.  To add in there are special effects which rival CGI and blow it out of the water.  The dialog is tight and realistic. Dog Soldiers is just fun-a-moment movie for adults who don’t want the experience ruined by kiddies. 

***** out of *****

I'll have a few other movie reviews strewn about here too.

Board footer