The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-25 10:33:21

teenlycan
Website

Am I a Werewolf/Therian?

Hello everyone! I've been looking for a site where I could ask real Therians if they think I'm a werewolf. Lately (this week) I've been having weird things going on with me and my life because of this list of things happening, I'm nervous but excited! : D

Backstory: I just turned 15 February 18th, my astrological sign is: aquarius. I weigh about 120 lb and 5' 5" tall. Eye color is dark brown, hair is black. My background is Native American, Mexican, and African American. Religion is Christianity. I'm a calm laid back kinda of guy, very smart and help those in need.

Sleep: I have found that I've been staying up a lot later than usual (about 2-3 hrs longer), and see myself sleeping on the ground in a curled up position. When I do sleep I find myself dreaming about being a werewolf or wolf in first-person going on hunts for deer and such with my kind. I've also had moments before I wake up where my body felt like it was an actual werewolf with my feet standing on the front of my feet and toes but not the ball of my foot, my hands feel like they are paws with claws, tail, pointy K-9 teeth, face of a wolf, and fur which causes me to get really hot. When I wake up I still feel very hot and sweaty from the dreams.

Cravings: I like eating meat but not very much like some do, but lately that's changed. For the past few days I haven't wanted anything except fresh meat. Yesterday we had ribs I ate about one rack and chewed on the bones for a while for marrow and such (I don't do this at all). Today to test my wolf side out I tryed a rare steak (I hate steak especially when rare) and oh my god, it tasted so good I couldn't control myself I ate it with my hands like an animal before my parents saw me ^_^. Luckily my mother said she would let me have her left over steak (medium rare) so I can't wait.

Fighting/Agression: This was one of things that was happening before this week. When I was younger I was a happy laid back and calm kid and still am today, but when I got into a fight with someone I lost control till I could see red and let the beast come out which caused my cousin to be kicked down the stairs (year older than me and works out), me giving someone a bloody nose one punch, and me almost injuring someone, because of this I always won. But nowadays I choose to stay calm no matter the circumstances to not let him come out unless it's an emergency. Oh yeah and I seem to feel no pain in "beast mode".

Wolf: Ever since I was young I was amazed with wolves. I loved to read about them, talk about them, and watch them on TV. I also love werewolves and fully believed in the idea of people being one. Everytime I went to a Zoo the first place I went was the Wolves and I felt like I had a connection to them because whenever we had eye contact the wolves would get very close to me. I just love wolves because of how smart they are, thier feirceness, the pack, etc. The same goes for dogs, I haven't met one that didn't like me or let me pet them. I'm going to try to get a half wolf half dog pup soon.

Instincts and Senses: My reflexes have been tested by going through high school without getting touch which I succeeded indoing. My 6 senses are also much better allowing me to hear and smell better than I used to which has saved me from getting me in trouble by my parents, for example when I'm playing a game like Halo 3 on Xbox Live I use my instinct to help me in the game, using it I can quickly rack up kills in the game to win.

Misc: I'm part of the "popular" group at school but I don't like being in large groups, so me and my best pals (4 of us all together) go away from the others at lunch, I'm the alpha of the pack. I want a "mate" (girlfriend) but wondering if she will be able to handle the fact that I might be a werewolf, if she can't and tells everyone my social life is ruined except for my pack. I also focus on only one mate at a time unless I know for sure that it won't work and all hope is lost.

I now feel like howling when happy, or growling when threatened. My symptoms of being a werewolf are worse at night. I tend to go up the stairs on the front part of foot and toes but no ball (sometimes use my hands too to be four legged) and run the same way. I don't want my parents to know about me being a Therian because of them being christians and they migh disown me or prohibit me from this kind of stuff. My ears shoot up when I hear noises. I hate very loud noses or cleaning product smells (too much febreze). I have a lot of hair on my body and it's all black, thin, and hard to notice, it also grows fast. My nails grow fast also. I've got an amazing immune system and I heal from wounds quickly, I've had a migrain this week though when some of my symptoms started. K-9 teeth feel sharper and larger, and my eye color used to be a lighter brown but now its a dark brown.

I feel deep down that I am I just want to know your opinions, thanks guys! Even if I'm not a were/therian I will continue to post in the forums.

Last edited by teenlycan (2008-03-25 22:06:47)

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg31 … ckWolf.jpg Me as a Wolf...

Nothing draws me more to something than a full moon.

#2 2008-03-25 21:06:00

Notawolfname

Re: Am I a Werewolf/Therian?

To me, you sound pure wolf. But I'm not sure if I can tell, because I'm cunfused myself. I have the same as you almost to a point, but much more suttle.

...and watch all the boys and girls dance, in the light of the moon...

#3 2008-03-25 21:55:44

teenlycan
Website

Nice to meet you Notawolfname! When did your wolfside start surfacing? In what areas are you more suttle?

#4 2008-03-25 22:11:18

WolfVanZandt
Website

I can';t imagine being able to tell if a person is a Therian over the Internet. Whereas much of what you said sounds like Therianism and all together makes a very persuasive argument, it still stands that all of what you said is within the range of experience of a mainstreamer. For instance, Therians have a high predisposition toward migraines, but some mainstreamers also have migraines. Mainstreamers who need more protein in their diet crave meat. Many mainstreamers are nocturnal. And ethnopsychologists often say that the animal closest to humans socially is the wolf, so a human that acts socially like a wolf is simply acting human.

One indication that I take as almost certainly indicative of Therianism (and there's some controversy), is that if you are a nonhuman animal in your dreams, then you are a Therian. On the other hand, some Therians do not dream of themselves as nonhuman animals.

So, although I certainly would not suggest that you're not Therian on the basis of your description, I can't say that you are.

#5 2008-03-25 22:31:10

teenlycan
Website

What is a mainstreamer? I'm gonna guess you mean regular human but to answer some of the things you said. I've never had many migrains before some of this happened only regular headaches, it just happened once when I started to act like a therian. I do have enough protein in my body already my family always has meat at dinner and I always eat it, before this I didn't really crave any meat at all since we have it everyday and at lunch at school too but now I just want meat and vegetables dont even taste as appetizing. I've been nocturnal I admit for a long time but never did I only have 2-3 hrs. of sleep and go to school fully energized. That's very interesting what you said about wolves relating to humans I gotta look that up.

But I understand about what you said about not being certain of people over the internet since you can have another identity if you want. But I am being honest I just want to figure out what's going on with me. There are a lot of questions I want to ask like, what was it like when you figured out you was a Therian, what were some of your symptoms? Did you ever tell anyone you were a Therian if so what was their response? How has being a Therian changed your life?

Last edited by teenlycan (2008-03-25 23:20:50)

#6 2008-03-26 21:26:25

Notawolfname

They first really started when I was little, but they became more serious a few months ago.
I'm more suttle in most of what you describe. Sleeping habits have drasticly changed, from staying up to ten-ten thirty, to midnight, one, and more often then not, three AM. During the course of the full moon I find myself waking up in a very wolf state of mind, but never have I dreamed I was hunting /as/ a wolf, but I have been chased after and was the one chasing in human form.
Cravings: DOn't get me started, especially this last week I've been wanting more and more rare-rare-practicly raw-steak.
Aggression: I started to become more and more aggresive scince I was twelve, I keep finding myself biting people, and lashing out uncontrolably when annoyed or angered. This gets me into alot of trouble...
Wolf: I can honestly say I have never come face to face with a real wolf, but dogs come up to me, wanting me to pet them, wagging their tails, etc. My dog views each family member different, but he sees me with more affection, and is much more gentle, and respectfull towards me more then anyone.
Senses: They've sharpened, but are not extensivly perfect. I can see better in the dark then most, hear, and smells things better, too. Today I whent for a run in the forest, and I was in touch with evreything. Evrey twitch, evrey wind, I could almost feel it.
Howling: I feel like doing that all the time,  but was only brave enough when I was in the woods. I was howling, barking, snarling. It felt so good to let go...
Those are my simptoms, and I'm also looking for answers.

#7 2008-03-26 21:54:28

teenlycan
Website

That's really interesting Notawolf mine also started when I was little and was much more calmer and easier to control but now I feel myself going through shifts were my body feels like a wolf like it does in sleep, while we was taking a practice test today in class while it was quiet, I started to shift. I didnt want to make a scene but I stayed in class to try to supress and think about other things, but, it was easier said then done I stopped me from shifting and no one noticed but I still had my hand and feet feel like paws.

I didn't add this in the fighting and aggresion part but I too was know to bite and scratch I stopped this as I got older but that doesn't mean I still don't have the urge, and I too lash out at people if they are starting to be annoying or if I'm already mad. As for my senses I've got pretty good with them but I'm not perfect. Right now I'm training myself to get better with my senses primarily I'm using my nose for scent because it's the hardest for me right now, do u have any tips for seeing in the dark?

I have the cravings too I see myself eating meat now 4 times a day, I used too hate to have meat every single day but know I love it! The rare steaks are great. I also find myself sleepin now at 3 AM consistently. Your very lucky to have a dog I've been trying for years to get one but my parents don't want one.

Last edited by teenlycan (2008-03-27 01:26:00)

#8 2008-03-26 22:20:26

WolfVanZandt
Website

There are several "fringe culture". Some are built around people with significant distinctions. Let me explain that. The reason most forms of psychotherapy works well for almost everybody is that "we're all more alike than we are different" (It's in quotes because it's a basic tenant of psychotherapy). well, some of us are much more different so that the same mechanisms that work for most humans don't work so well for us. That makes us "fringe people". The mainstreamers are the folks that are more alike than different. Frankly, I call them Homid because they're the humans that are most like humans. I'm canid - they're homid.

It has nothing to do with people "having another identity." It only has to do with the fact that the things you describe is within the range of nontherian human experience, so I can't be sure if they mean that you're Therian or not. For instance, there are bona fide Werewolves who are vegetarians and do not crave meat. In other words, they're not abstainers - they just don't like meat.

I didn't "figure out" that I was a werewolf, as if I was looking for an answer. I simply realized it as my internal image of myself developed. I knew I was significantly different from most of the people around me and as my phantom self developed and I realized that my internal image of myself was Wolf, I realized that I was a Werewolf.

I have told just about everyone that I know that I'm a Werewolf - not a practice that I would recommend. I can get away with it because I'm respected in the communities I'm in. So, they have to reconcile their image of me as a "good guy" with their understanding that I think I'm a Werewolf and I think it's fairly accurate to say that they generally interpret it as an eccentricity. No, I don't think they actually believe that I'm a Werewolf. They just realize that I believe I'm a Werewolf and they're more or less comfortable allowing me my illusions. smile

Your list gives quite a few of the common (but not universal) symptoms of therianthropy - nocturnal, heightened senses (I believe, because we actually use our senses, not that they're particularly better than others), migraines, "hot" immune systems, dyslexia, heightened empathy, shamanic experiences, preference for digigrade walking, tendency to use "animal" vocalizations, phantom body, dreaming as a nonhuman animal, body asymmetries, active instincts....the list could go on and on because therianthropy pervades pretty much all of our lives. But I can't tell you how it's affected me because I don't have a "me" that's not Therian to compare it to. So, in the same way, being a Therian hasn't changed my life because there was never a time that I wasn't a Therian.

I have gone through different phases of therianism. I remember when my internal image of myself wasn't differentiated and then I went through a brief period as Horse (strangely, I've run into a lot of carnivore Therians that went through an early herbivore phase). Some time just after high school, my internal self stabilized into Wolf. Then, when I came in contact with the larger therian community, a lot of my Therianism "woke up". I don't think we can be whole as Therians without the rest of the community - which is one reason why I push for Therians getting off-line and associating with other Therians in real life.

To take Notawolfname's examples:

Many public workers (police, emt's, etc.) swear that people in general are more animal like on the full moon (research doesn't bear that out, but whatever's going on seems to be justs human).

I've always liked raw meat but so have many of my mainstreamer friends. I seriously doubt that everyone that eats steak tartan is Therian.

You don't have to be Therian to be aggressive. Prisons are full of people that are way too aggressive for their own good. In fact, Therians seem to handle their aggressive tendencies better than the average mainstreamer.

I know a lot of mainstreamers that get along exceptionally with dogs. Fact is, like anyone else, if you treat them right, most likely, they'll treat you right. If you are a Therian, you probably attend to them more and treat them more like "people" - but that's not something that a mainstreamer that's fond of dogs wouldn't do also.

Like I said, I don't think our senses are particularly better than mainstreamers. Being less verbal than they are, I think we use our senses more and pay more attention to them, therefore, we simply use them better and are more aware of them.

And howling.......I believe that if mainstreamers were not so speciocentric, they'd be making "animal" noises to. Humans are animals also. They may have some intrinsic differences but that just makes them different - it doesn't mean they're not animals. The only reason they don't make more use of nonverbal language is that it makes them feel somehow less than human. We don't have that particular irrational hang-up.

The things that make me recognize another Therian (yes, I can pick most Therians I don't know out of a crowd) are not things that can be easily put into words. They're sort of a "family resemblance" - the way Therians carry themselves, the way they're always scanning their surroundings, the way they are attracted to movement, maybe their scent (most of us still have a functional musk which mainstreamers lost long ago). The dense but fine hair is also common among Wolf Therians (but not universal). Two things that really ring a bell with me are autoimmune disease and, especially, dreaming as an animal - but, again, those aren't universal among Therians.

#9 2008-03-27 20:03:48

Notawolfname

I usually have more of a psycological shift, then feeling it, but basicly the same.

Tips for seeing in the dark? Not sure what to say. It just sort of came to me one morning, I woke up sensitive to light, and seeing better in the dark...you could spend more time in the dark, like shut off all the lights in one room, and look to see what you can identify. *shrugs* I'm not the greatest at giving advice, ask anybody. ^^;

#10 2008-03-27 20:09:22

bloodlust
werewolf guardian
Website

the same thing happens to me,but sometimes usually during the fullmoon,i get this wierd feeling...like pleasure and pain both at the same time,my friends call it being comfortably numb...what do you guys think?

"Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for a friend."
http://s1.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=152377

#11 2008-03-28 01:58:51

teenlycan
Website

Thanks Zandt for explaining what fringe people and mainstreamers are. What you also said about some of the traits of a Therian (liking meat, immune systems, dyslexia, etc.) makes sense to because not everyone is the same we all have a different cobination of genes.

I have thought about telling people about being a Therian but I've decided that it wasn't a good idea because not that many people are willing to accept someone that's different and needless to say most teens in my school today are ruthless. But that's great that people don't really care that your a Therian. What was it like in your Horse phase?

It's true about what you said about people that eat rare meat doesn't mean they are Therian. I went aroud the school asking some of my friends and teachers if they liked rare steak most were repulsed by it, but some said they liked it, infact mostly females said they liked rare meat. Aggresiveness I have but I can easily handle it because I never get mad enough to fight someone, unless they go too far. What you said about senses is plausible for I probaly use my senses more than mainstreamers.

I tend to carry myself sort of a lazy no care in the world sort of way, I'm usually a little hunched over and my feet are sort of in a V shape when I walk instead of straight forward except when I run. I'm always looking aroud to know what's going on and it's kinda hard for me to focus on something unless it's important. I've also got the dense but fine hair. But what do you mean exactly by "attracted to movement"?

Last edited by teenlycan (2008-03-28 16:33:46)

#12 2008-03-28 03:03:33

teenlycan
Website

Lol thanks for the advice I'll try it out later, but I honestly don't have a clue for a response to your post bloodlust. Are you talking about my symptoms or Notawolfname's?

#13 2008-03-28 14:36:48

BlackWolfMarwood

I love the part about running up the stairs on all fours. I used to love doing that at my dad's old house. I say keep the therian stuff on the down low while in highschool unless you want kids to howl at you and act immature unless you are in a more accepting group of friends, such as DnD players. wink

I ended up being able to get through highschool easily because I was dating a model and the guy that would howl at me mockingly realized he was really missing out and was left friendless. In collage I've discovered the girls just love playful wolves. Period. It also helps if you stop snubbing the geeks and am just as friendly with them as with the popular group because in the end, the ability to shapeshift personas in order to fit in is a large benefit. You might also find another wolf hidden in the crowd...

Last edited by marwolf (2008-03-28 14:39:00)

#14 2008-03-28 16:02:17

wolfsongx

I agree with marwolf on that.  High school was hard enough for me without realizing and accepting my therian nature.

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#15 2008-03-28 20:56:21

bloodlust
werewolf guardian
Website

teenlycan wrote:

Lol thanks for the advice I'll try it out later, but I honestly don't have a clue for a response to your post bloodlust. Are you talking about my symptoms or Notawolfname's?

i was talking about Notawolfname's. ^_^

#16 2008-03-28 23:41:46

WolfVanZandt
Website

I was more drawn to horses as a Horse therian than I am to wolves as a Wolf therian. I was more enamored of movement for the sake of movement. My senses were more involved with feeling what was going on inside me than outside.

There are two broad categories of Therians that I've run into. There is a very distinctive subgroup that has various levels of autism and are not connected at all to their surroundings. The others notice everything that moves slightly in their environment. If something moves in their peripheral vision, they notice it and their head comes around to focus on it. If it's moving in a constant curve, they have the urge to track it or chase it. A psychologist would call it hypervigilence but it doesn't seem to interfere with Therians like it would with mainstreamers. Therians, being more multitaskers, tend to be able to handle a moderate level of hypervigilence but big crowds often overwhelm them.
Crowds don't bother some Therians and I've always wondered why but I've noticed that crowds don't bother me nearly so much if I have something (like a task) to focus on. That might have something to do with it.....

#17 2008-03-28 23:55:28

BlackWolfMarwood

Crowds are great, you can disappear easily..

#18 2008-03-29 01:37:39

DelawareWolf17

I hate crowds, they make me feel tense.

I was working at a carnival last summer when I visited my friend in Maryland, we were both running the stand(corkshoot) and a bunch of her asshat friends from school came up and were talking to her, and she was totaly ignoring her work(accepting the money, handing out the corks for the airguns) so I was doing all of it, and a bunch of people all wanted to do the corksoot at the same time, so I got overwhelmed trying to accept the money hand out the 5 corks to each person, give them the designated prizes when they knocked down targets, meanwhile, her and he friends were talking at one end of the booth, playing aroundwith the guns, shooting down targets for fun, shooting corks at me :angry:
Anway, I have a limit on all things, and when I hit it, its a limit, no matter what, I have to drop what I;'m doing, and go somewhere quiet or ill scream.
I hit my limit after being shot at with the corkguns by her asshat friends.
So I took off my money/cork pouch, thrust it at her and said "You are supposed to be running the stand with me, now YOU DO IT!"
And I stormed off, realy pissed.
I ended up haning out at the roulette wheel booth which was run by a friend of her parents, and he is really nice, he helped me calm down, cause I was on the verge of tears.   
A few minutes later, I cam back to the booth, and found everyone mad at me because I hadnt told anyone where I was going roll so her sister (who is only 2 years older than me) gives me this dramatic talking-to and acting like a parent(she likes to do that roll )
Anyway, I apologized, and we all made up, and I kep working at the carnival the rest of the time I was there (tho I flat-out refused to run the corkshoot again, the dime toss is much more fun)

Exhausted Workercog

#19 2008-03-29 03:02:04

teenlycan
Website

Thanks for clearing up your post bloodlust. : )

I can bear being in a large group but I still hate it. The worse places for me have to be amusement parks (Disneyland, Six Flags, Universal Studios) because it feels like everyone wants to be where you are no matter if your in a small corner and the noise is way to loud, but it can be avoided by me by thinkin about other things, and the rides are always fun and worth it : ). Delawarewolf I probaly would have done the exact thing you did so I don't blame you because it's happen to me before.

I tend to pay close attention to my environment, especially when something moves so I can know where it is later or just to keep it in track. I use my peripheral vision a lot to know EVERYTHING thats going on around me.

I have two more questions, do you guys feel really hot sometimes and has to get some cool fresh air? I've been really hot lately and find myself wearing short sleeve shirts without a T-shirt and jacket with a/c on in the car, even though I live in Anchorage, Alaska. I really feel uncomfortable when I'm hot.

The last question is, have you ever come into contact with any so called "Werewolf Hunter"? Because I've been readin about being a Therian and such and how some people made groups to hunt us.

Last edited by teenlycan (2008-03-29 03:31:38)

#20 2008-03-29 04:11:09

WolfVanZandt
Website

No, and the majority census is that they don't exist, but.......it doesn't hurt to be careful. Any majority group that displays significant differences from the mainstream will have people that are hostile to it.

#21 2008-03-29 04:12:54

teenlycan
Website

Ohhh ok thanks Zandt : )

#22 2008-03-29 14:50:54

bloodlust
werewolf guardian
Website

i hate crowds,because they make me feel insecure,and on top of that i dont like being in situations where there is little room to move around.

#23 2008-03-29 17:58:33

teenlycan
Website

bloodlust wrote:

i hate crowds,because they make me feel insecure,and on top of that i dont like being in situations where there is little room to move around.

If you hate that don't ever go to golden corral or any place like that on Sunday. lol

#24 2008-03-29 18:02:16

BlackWolfMarwood

The dinner rolls, they lure me anyway.

I used to be unconformable in crowds but I realized that in order to go unnoticed and seek that which I desire, adapting to crowded areas is a must.

#25 2008-03-29 18:02:44

Notawolfname

Crowds+me=rFeak out.

Fair grounds have become hastling, and one of my worst experiences has happend in time square just after Christmas. When I'm in a tight space with alot of people, I feel as if I can't breath, I get anxious, I loop through people and start to get hostile. when I find someone I know in the crowd, I run up to them fo a scence of security, and they seem to have a better head then I when dealing with that situation.

Board footer