The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Therianthropy
  •  » therians, Does listening to certain types of music affect your moods?

#1 2008-04-11 10:14:25

Erutan

therians, Does listening to certain types of music affect your moods?

I've noticed that my calmness/hyper-activety seems like its highly effected by what music I'm listening to or what songs I have stuck in my head. It's like I go by that whole "Music sooths the savage beast" thing. Does this hapen to any of you other true therians?

The one thing every living thing has in common with everything else: the fact that they all are different from each other. Difference Is Equality.
That's my life's law.

#2 2008-04-11 18:20:10

WolfVanZandt
Website

Re: therians, Does listening to certain types of music affect your moods?

Sure it does. It's a very human response. It's the basis of music therapy.

I had a friend who is bipolar and sensitive to lithium, which was the drug of choice for mania. It did bad things to him. So, being the knowledgeable psychologist that I am (heh), I suggested that, when he was too wired, he might listen to some calming classical music (he had just discovered classical music); and when he was down, he could listen to some of his old favorite rock and roll. It worked quite well and he got off the lithium for good.

I listen to background music while I work to energize me.

#3 2008-04-13 12:51:45

WolfMontana

Awesome story Wolf smile

Music is meant to alter mood, and it affects everything, though the reaction may be very subtle.

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#4 2008-04-14 20:38:39

LoupGarouAngel
Website

As a therian,I think my mood is really affected by the music played.
Beats in hip hop/rap make me relaxed but also,this sounds odd,but more intuned with the other sex.Took notice to this as I played it in my car,the beat just drowning out my human thoughts until I was so calm,yet eyed every man that passed by with something more then just looking.
Or maybe i'm just weird.big_smile
Rock,modern that is,makes me excited,on edge and sometimes aggressive.I get pumped for it,all ready to fight and run,triggers such an adrenaline rush.
Oldies,(60's-80's)tend not to affect me as much as modern music,I think that's just because of the generation differences though.
Classical soothes me,along with celtic music and any of the CD's of sounds from nature.
So,maybe i'm like humans when it comes to music,but I always find myself a little more into it then anyone else.So,maybe the therian does play a part in it.

"You're like one of those lab rats that hits the pleasure button instead of the food until it dies!" Sam-Houses of the Holy.
"Dude, you Fugly." Dean-Scarecrow.
A therian who's a wanna be screenwriter, but doesn't have a life story that fits the bill...
http://loupgarouangel.deviantart.com/

#5 2008-04-14 22:26:56

WolfVanZandt
Website

I could see therianthropy enhancing the response to music. Since empathy is a response to environmental cues, I would expect an empathic person to be more strongly affected.

#6 2008-04-14 22:49:34

bloodlust
werewolf guardian
Website

i say it does,i listen to only one genre(metal)when im in a bad mood i usually find more agressive/fast songs,if im sick(like i am now)i tend to listen to alot of instremental music,or no music at all,so i guess the type of music varies depending on how i feel at that time.

"Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for a friend."
http://s1.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=152377

#7 2008-04-15 22:40:13

DelawareWolf17

Yeah, I have alot of rock, but when im sick, sad or tired, I listen to smooth modern songs, instad of jarring,bumping songs like "bleed it out" from linkin park, because I sing along with most songs, and when you are sick or tired, singing along with Bleed it out or TDG's "I hate everything about you" can be very tiring.

Exhausted Workercog

#8 2008-04-16 00:10:16

bloodlust
werewolf guardian
Website

it helps to listen to mellow songs when your sick or tired,like Red's pieces.

"Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for a friend."
http://s1.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=152377

#9 2008-04-17 10:12:20

Erutan

I only listen to rock, alternative rock, punk rock, metal, you know. But, certain songs have certain effects on me. For example: songs like TDG's "Burn" and "Scared" and "Riot" all get me amped-up and feeling ready for action but easilly ticked-off. TDG's less hyper songs like "Over and Over" and other band's songs like "kryptonite" or Evanescense's "Bring Me To Life" mellow me in a strange energetic-ish near deppressed-but-sort-of-happy mood. I can be calmed or energized by different music types. I hate classical music, though. It either annoys me or just puts me to sleep. Or it enrages me, but what-ever.

Oh, and I don't have any of those mental conditions that WolfVanZandt mentioned, I do have ADHD though, but it's not very bad.

The one thing every living thing has in common with everything else: the fact that they all are different from each other. Difference Is Equality.
That's my life's law.

#10 2008-04-17 17:46:38

therian44
Barry Burton's lover
Website

Music plays a big role for me. Not only does it affect my moods, it also affects my writing.

Run, wolf warrior, to ends eternal
Through the wreckage of the death of the day
Scent of silence under starlight spinning
A captured beast within a human skin

#11 2008-04-18 02:54:35

skinwalker
Website

yes, most definatly. and as a musician myself, i go thru that all the time, even now as i write this response.

You know what 'FEAR' stands for? It stands for 'False Evidence Appearing Real.' It's the darkroom where Satan develops his negatives.

#12 2008-11-04 18:31:29

FenrirVik
Space Cowboy

I tend to think of deeper things when listening to 80's music as odd as that sounds.

Synchronicity

#13 2008-11-04 22:55:05

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

Yes, it does. Greatly.

<3

#14 2008-11-05 06:16:17

isafos

Like VanZandt said, yes. It is a science. Heck, classical music has been show plants grow, and has shown to help people perform better. It doesn't take a scientist to know that music can affect someone emotionally.

Not that I tend to talk a ton about my 'emotions', I don't really like that sort of discussion, but here's a song that has a depressing effect:

"Mad World, Gary Jules, feat. Michael Andrews." wink

#15 2008-11-05 19:39:46

Siverwolf

Depends on how the music sounds to how it effects me.  I don't think it matter's either way as to Therian or not.

Siverwolf.

Homo - Lycanthropus

#16 2008-11-05 20:05:45

isafos

fuzzball1 wrote:

was the classical music help plants grow proven in mythbusters?

I'm not a biologist, but I'll quote you what I've heard.

Scientific research indicates that plants communicate with insects, animals, human beings and other plants in order to keep themselves alive and safe. Plants are intelligent forms of life who are capable of intention, preference, and a will to survive, thrive and interact. Scientific research indicates that plants communicate with insects, animals, human beings and other plants in order to keep themselves alive and safe. Evidence also reveals that plants are telling us how to achieve health and wholeness for humanity and the earth herself.

Plants Are Just Like People

In research which spans more than 100 years, scientists have been documenting botanical adaptability and the amazing similarities that plants have with animals and people. Studies indicate that what meta physicians, psychics, shaman, tribal people and sensitives worldwide have been saying about the plant kingdom for millennia is true: plants are intelligent beings who can communicate with us, and, we can communicate with them.

Smart Strategies for Survival

In the book, "The Secret Life of Plants," authors Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird describe how plants "talk to" people and what plants "talk" about. Staying alive and safe tops the list.

To protect themselves, plants have developed highly adaptive and strategic ways for living. According to the authors, "Plants seem to know which ants will steal their nectar, closing when these ants are about, opening only when there is enough dew on their stems to keep the ants from climbing. The more sophisticated acacia plant actually enlists the protective services of certain ants which it rewards with nectar in return for the ants'' protection against other insects and herbivorous mammals," thus serving the same function as friends and allies do in the animal and human realms. Some vegetation develop a bitter taste, some ooze gummy secretions, while others grow thorns to defend themselves.

Prickles for the Pussy

Once plants feel safe, however, they may drop their need for defense. In one study, a scientist wanted to determine if cacti grow needles primarily for the purpose of keeping themselves from harm. Safely housed in a greenhouse, the scientist talked to numerous cacti assuring them that they were protected and that he cared about them. He encouraged the plants to feel even more secure by playing soothing music in the greenhouse. Within several months the cacti dropped all their spikes. The offspring of these bare cacti were born without needles. Defenseless within this nurturing environment, the mature and new-born cacti prospered. After a period of a year of being without their protective quills, the cacti suddenly began re-growing their bristles and new baby sprouts were born with needles again. After some investigation, it was discovered that a house cat had found its way into the greenhouse. Suspecting that the cat may be the source of the perceived threat to the cacti causing the reemergence of their means of protection, the scientist blocked the cat''s way of entry. Once the cacti sensed they were once again safe, all of the cacti dropped their prickly means of defense.

You Can Hurt a Plant''s Feelings

Plants respond not only to insects and animals but to human emotion and intention. Plants can distinguish between people who are feel kindly towards them and people who don''t, and our green friends cooperate with people they like. In one experiment a new scientist came to study some test plants. Surprisingly, these test plants which previously had been very responsive, were completely non-responsive during the new scientist''s tests. Investigating the change in the plants'' response, it was discovered that the new scientist incinerated his plants in his own personal research once his tests were completed. Shortly after the new scientist left, the plants again began registering activity and cooperating.

In another study, scientists found that vegetation reacted negatively to people who found the plants unattractive, even to the extent that the plants would "faint." When over stimulated by emotions, plants will "go unconscious" or numb and can stay " moody" for weeks. Scientific studies show that once plants attune themselves to a particular person, they are able to maintain a link with that person, no matter how far away. These plants register "knowing" not only when a person is returning to the plants, but when the person makes the decision to return. Other reports show that plants respond to people talking to them in a caring, loving manner, such as asking a tree to radically change its growth direction so that it won''t have to be cut, or asking weeds not to grow excessively in a vegetable garden.

Who Says Plants Can''t Move?

In order to stay alive, plants have learned to move and do so in remarkable fashion, for extraordinary purposes and with high, extra-sensory intelligence. "Plants," says Viennese biologist, Raoul France "move their bodies as freely, easily and gracefully as the most skilled animal or human, and the only reason we don'' t appreciate the fact is that plants do so at a much slower pace than humans. A climbing plant. which needs a prop, will creep toward the nearest support. Should this support be shifted, the vine, within a few hours, will change its course into a new direction." Plants will even grow towards a support that''s hidden from view. France continues, "Plants are capable of intent: they can stretch toward, or seek out, what they want in ways as mysterious as the most fantastic creations of romance." As Thomkins and Bird relate, "Some parasitical plants can recognize the slightest trace of the odor of their victim and will overcome all obstacles to crawl in its direction."

The Sophisticated Musical Tastes of Plants

Through their animated responses to classical and heavy rock music, plants further divulge their preferences. In studies of plants exposed to heavy rock music, the plants not only grew away from the music source, but some grew either abnormally tall and put out excessively small leaves or remained stunted. In some cases the plants died. When classical music was played to the plants, the plants grew toward the music source with healthy growth. The same plants, marigolds, who died when listening to rock music, flowered when listening to classical music. The authors report, "the rock-stimulated plants were using much more water than the classically entertained vegetation, but apparently enjoying it less, since examination of the roots revealed that soil root growth was sparse in the rock group, whereas in the classical group, root growth was thick, tangled and about four times as long."

In India, Dr. T. C. Singh, in his studies of music and plants, stated that he had "proven beyond any shadow of doubt that harmonic sound waves affect the growth, flowering, fruiting and seed-yield of plants." Singh also reported that girls dancing India''s most ancient dance style accelerated the growth of daisies, marigolds and petunias. The dancing caused them to flower much earlier than the control group of plants, presumably because of the rhythm of the footwork transmitted through the earth.

Plant Devas Caught on Camera!

Kirlian photography is now able to verify the existence of living, changing light radiating from plants. And many "seers" and scientists have seen light emanations and moving forms coming from plants. Hindu sages refer to devas. Clairvoyants and other sensitives are able to directly see and communicate with the fairies, elves, gnomes, sylphs and other creatures which live in and among plants.

Tompkins and Bird conclude, "Evidence now supports the vision that plants are living, breathing, communicating creatures, endowed with personality and the attributes of soul."

Yeah, I'm not so sure about this one after all. Don't quote me on this. I'll wait until I see it mentioned on wikipedia. tongue

#17 2008-11-06 06:09:00

WolfMontana

I'm likin' it.  wink Rather stunned it was quoted by you though dude.

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#18 2008-11-12 20:34:26

Niktoma
Advocatus Diaboli
Website

If I remember correctly, that version was used near the end of the movie Donnie Darko.

It really is quite beautiful and haunting.

Last edited by Niktoma (2008-11-12 20:35:19)

'OK, how about werewolves?' said the voice eventually.
'What do they look like?' asked the kid.
'Ah, well, they look perfectly normal right up to the point where they grow all, like, hair and teeth and giant paws and leap through the window at you,' said the voice.

#19 2009-06-16 18:30:47

crazy97

I am veerry engaged in nature and any sounds of nature and that stuff helps me consentrate and calm down (rare for an adhd person!) actually even more than normak people!

My quote-
"Nature should not have to work around us, but us around Nature"

#20 2010-07-13 02:58:04

Totalimmortal
HAHAHAHA...get it?

Hey, I'm sorry for reviving such a dead topic, I just wanted to make a similar one and decided to make sure it wasn't already posted.

But I noticed that listening to certain types of music will definitely effect the state I'm in - listening to something like Eluveitie's celtic-folk album I noticed will definitely have an effect on the way I'm feeling.  Makes me feel a lot more alive, I guess you could say.

Last edited by Totalimmortal (2010-07-13 03:01:05)

I'll come down and get you high.  Maybe sing you a lullaby.  Sing you to sleep, a sleep you'll never wake from.  Sing you to coma, so to speak.

#21 2010-07-14 20:20:57

LoupGarouAngel
Website

I was listening to MGMT, Time to Pretend, the other night while drigting off to sleep and had this awesome half dream that I was a wolf jumping from star to star. So i'd say music has a strong influence.

"You're like one of those lab rats that hits the pleasure button instead of the food until it dies!" Sam-Houses of the Holy.
"Dude, you Fugly." Dean-Scarecrow.
A therian who's a wanna be screenwriter, but doesn't have a life story that fits the bill...
http://loupgarouangel.deviantart.com/

#22 2010-07-15 05:11:47

lil' Wolfen

Erutan wrote:

I've noticed that my calmness/hyper-activety seems like its highly effected by what music I'm listening to or what songs I have stuck in my head. It's like I go by that whole "Music sooths the savage beast" thing. Does this hapen to any of you other true therians?

Actually no. Quite the opposite actually.

I find that when I am in a really hyper mood, I like the golden oldies. When I am pissed off or just aggressive I like heavy metal (Which is most of the time). When I am happy I like country. When I am mellow and placid I like jazz, opera or reggae. When I am sad I like rock music with a sad tone to it, like most Stabbing Westward songs.

The music I hear never seems to effect my mood, but if it is a music that does not reflect my current mood, I usually turn it off, or change it.

I will admit however, that rap music pisses me off to no end. Mostly not because of the tone of the music, but more the culture in which it originated from. I despise the singers, what they sing about, and the disgusting people that live near me who play it (I live in Michigan a stones throw from the Detroit area). At a time I had fondness for the old school rap, and at very happy hyper times, still do, but it is very very rare. The only time I will tolerate it is with a group of friends that want to hear it. And even then, that's only cause I know it makes them happy.

Hmmm.... Disney movies with songs in it tend to make me happy, but I dunno if its really the music making my emotion change, or if the movie is jsut taking my mind off whatever is pissing me off. lol

"Let's go back to the cabin and get into a lil' beastiality!" ~ Mitch - Big Bad Wolf

#23 2010-07-15 10:04:29

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Looking back, I seem to recall thinking at some point that it did trigger things, but I don't notice that happening anymore.  What I do notice now is that my mood affects what I want to listed to at the time, and therianthropy is part of that mood, so it affects what I listen to.

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#24 2010-07-18 19:59:46

WolfVanZandt
Website

The purpose of music is to comunicate a message and especially emotion so it's intended to affect mood.

There's even a form of psychotherapy that uses music to alter mental state. I have a nipolar friend that was sensitive to lithium, then the drug of xhoice for manic state, and he found that managing the kind of music he listened to worked as well as the medication and got off the drugs.

#25 2010-07-21 01:57:53

Edwin'sCorner

When I was having my very first therian experiences (when I had no idea what they were) I would listen to music and yeah it would totally do stuff to my dream shifts and i guess you would call them your sleep walking "wow how did I end up here last night?" shifts. Now that I've partially figured myself out I don't really have that much of a reaction to it anymore. Yeah my heart rate goes up and I get pumped but dude..Really?My old 64 year old Calculus teacher used to get pumped up listening to my collection of Avenged Sevenfold and Pillar albums haha

"The stars in the night they lend me their light to bring me closer to heaven with you" - "Gunslinger" Avenged Sevenfold

• Index
  •  » Therianthropy
  •  » therians, Does listening to certain types of music affect your moods?

Board footer