The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#26 2008-05-22 02:46:45

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Re: From the Files of Department 118 - Part Two (Complete)

lol
Thank you all for your wonderful comments!
  More of hybreed culture and society will continue to be revealed as the story progresses. I felt I needed to add a bit about telepaths, mostly because there are 3 of them in the story and I didn't want it to be a shallow label, if that makes sense.

Here's the deal: This next segment is going to be the last one for a little while as I focus on writing the new scenes that will be at the beginning of part 2. If you'd like to get a copy of the new beginning to read, let me know. Once I'm finished with it, I'll email you a copy and await your reply.

For those of you that have read the Climax of part 3, this segment is going to make your eyes get wide, and perhaps even make your jaw drop a little. It will also bring you to the same conclusion I reached: namely, that I have a bit of jiggery-pokery to do on that climax to make it fit in with this segment. However, I believe the end result will really really help out with tying part 2 in with part 3. Nevertheless, I'd very much like your comments on what you think about all this after you read it.

Enjoy.

---------------------------------------

Dad continued his report. “Gareth did say that, whether they were shifting hybreed or not, Omegas are always considered a member of the pack or tribe. They’re always looked after and allowed to survive, even if they’re not given any privileges. However, if a shifting hybreed chooses to leave, that decision is respectfully accepted. In fact, he actually said that sometimes they’re considered a lone wolf - and get this: he said it before I could ask him.”

Chris furrowed his brow in a lack of understanding. “Then why did that tribe say I was following the Coyote Way?”

Dad paused, and a sliver of the anger behind his eyes made a brief recurrence. “That is a very good question. The information that you gave me combined with the information that Gareth gave me has brought up some disturbing theories.”

Chris cocked his head in curiosity. Dad repositioned himself in his seat, and then continued.

“Keep in mind these are only theories; I can’t prove them yet. However, if Gareth’s information is valid, then it stands that this tribe was not in accordance to normal hybreed ways and beliefs. They are following a different way than other tribes, and therefore it’s the tribe itself that is following the Coyote Way, not you. At least that part of the theory is confirmed.”

Deep within Chris an unfamiliar warmth, one coming from a feeling of justification and perhaps even vindication, bolstered his esteem. He was a hybreed, regardless of his shifting capability. He was a lone wolf, and he was not following the Coyote Way.

“The real questions are why this tribe treated you like this, and what caused them to do so. If they started this on their own, then they need to be re-educated by others of your people, and as soon as possible, from the sound of it. If they were influenced by some outside source, then we need to find that source and shut it down.”

Chris thought for a moment, remembering his experience with that tribe. “What if they are following their Alpha in this regard? I mean, what if they’re only doing it because they’re afraid to stand against the leader and be rejected too?”

Dad looked at Chris with a sudden admiring smile. “That’s awfully considerate of you, Chris. What makes you say that?”

“I remember what their Alpha was like. He wasn’t the kind to take orders from anybody.”

Dad nodded in understanding. “I see where you’re going, but do you think it’s possible that there may be some silver tongue whispering in his ear, for instance?”

Chris thought for a moment once again. “Well, he might listen to suggestions from higher members of the tribe, but I can’t see Raaym letting anyone have a position of power over him in his own tribe.”

“Raaym?” Dad asked curiously.

Chris nodded. “That’s the name of the Alpha Leader of the tribe. He used to be part of the hunter clan, but when he got the chance to be the Alpha, he took it, and no one has been able to take it back from him. If someone doesn’t like following him, they’re run out of the tribe.”

“Like you were?”

Chris laughed uncomfortably. “No, not that... forcefully; not that I’m aware of, at least.”

“Well, if that’s the case, then it sounds like we found the source of the corruption. If this 'Raaym' isn’t being influenced by someone else with – Ha! I just got it! A hybreed with a silver tongue! Hahahaha! Sorry. Anyway, as I was saying, if Raaym is doing this of his own accord, then he obviously needs to be removed.”

“I agree, Dad; but you haven’t seen this guy. He’s huge, and has a dominant attitude to match his size. Hybreed are going to follow him either to ride in his wake or just to avoid being one of his victims.”

As an unsteady pause ensued, Dad stared at him with a scrutinizing gaze from those emerald eyes. “You stood up to him; didn’t you, Chris?”   

Chris looked back at Dad, but could not continue to look into those knowing emerald eyes. He fixed his eyes on the desk. “No; I only stood up for myself.”

“But in doing so, you stood against his commands. From his point of view, you were a threat to his power from that point on; you were competition whether you could shift or not. He had to get rid of you. He was the main advocate for chasing you out of the forest, wasn’t he?”

Chris slowly nodded.

“Well, of course he was; he's the Alpha, for Pete’s sake. Still, I think it’s safe to say that Raaym is abusing his position as the tribe's Alpha, and his leadership is what caused the tribe to treat you that way. I bet he even led the ones that ran you out of the forest.” 

Chris looked up at Dad, surprised at his insight. “How could you have possibly figured all this out, just from what I’ve told you?” 

Dad smiled. “I’ve had some experience around people who are just like that. It looks like being a hybreed doesn’t cure people of personality flaws; that’s definitely something to keep <IN> mind.”

It seemed as though Dad would constantly be impressing Chris with his wisdom and insight on matters. It only affirmed his decision. He looked down at the papers that were on his lap.

Dad noticed the focus of his attention. “I noticed you brought those in with you. If I may ask, what are they?”

Without a word, Chris handed the papers to Dad.

Dad perused what was written on them and sighed heavily. “You realize what this means, right? You realize you may be treated differently with this.”

Chris looked at the door, thinking of those on the other side of it. “No I won’t,” he said confidently.

Dad raised an eyebrow at the contradiction. “Well if that’s the way you’re gonna be about it
”

He opened a drawer to his left, took out an ink stamp, pounded it on the front page, tossed the stamp back in the drawer and closed it. He handed the paper back to Chris. Chris hesitantly took the papers and examined the front page. The top of his Application for a position in Department 118 of the American Empire now had a large read mark that said ‘Approved’.

“Now go tell everybody that there’s a conference in 15 minutes.” Dad said.

Chris looked up from the application and stared at Dad curiously. “Isn’t there supposed to be some other paperwork and procedures to go through with this?”

Dad shrugged. “Probably,” he said nonchalantly. He looked at his door, then looked at Chris. “Well, go on. Conference in 15 minutes. Spread the word! Spit spot!” he said as he motioned Chris out of his office.

The happiness Chris felt in his heart gave birth to a smile that blossomed upon his face as he opened the door and left to inform his new colleagues. It was his first official assignment for Dep:118.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-10-02 18:57:44)

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#27 2008-05-22 14:07:54

punxnotdead

I loooove the new segment, Grayle. This reveals how Chris got his job, and very nicely, might I add. I can't get over Dad's character. "...someone else with – Ha! I just got it! A hybreed with a silver tongue! Hahahaha! Sorry."
I like the size that you posted. It's enough to keep me reading and engrossed in your story (not to say that your other posts don't - I just don't know how to word things properly anymore.)
Anyways I will reaaaally be looking forward to more. Do post more ASAP, but if you're unable to, I'll completely understand.

I may have found a small little flaw in one sentence. It may not be, but it appears to be so. Tell me if I'm wrong:
"...that’s definitely something to keep I mind.”

Should it be:
'...that's definitely something to keep in mind."

I can't wait for more wink

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#28 2008-05-22 16:12:40

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Man oh man, I'm slipping!  That makes what, two now that I've missed? !@$(@&(#&!!!
  Thank you very much for pointing that out for me, Punx. That is indeed a typo, and I've fixed it in my draft. I owe you another one!

I took the liberty of sending you an email with my proposed beginning of Part 2 attached. If possible, could you let me know what you think?

#29 2008-05-23 00:27:27

punxnotdead

Grayle wrote:

Man oh man, I'm slipping!  That makes what, two now that I've missed? !@$(@&(#&!!!
  Thank you very much for pointing that out for me, Punx. That is indeed a typo, and I've fixed it in my draft. I owe you another one!

I took the liberty of sending you an email with my proposed beginning of Part 2 attached. If possible, could you let me know what you think?

Heh, don't worry about it. I bet there are world-famous authors that make more mistakes than that. I have so much difficulty finding typos and it's a very rare occassion.
I just sent the review thingy, so be prepared and look out for it. It was an honest review, and I never lie :p

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#30 2008-05-23 07:19:49

Niktoma
Advocatus Diaboli
Website

Oooh, and political intrigue too!  Grayle, you're AWESOME!

If you like, you can send me a copy of the new begining too.  It might jumpstart our emails again, I miss those. smile

'OK, how about werewolves?' said the voice eventually.
'What do they look like?' asked the kid.
'Ah, well, they look perfectly normal right up to the point where they grow all, like, hair and teeth and giant paws and leap through the window at you,' said the voice.

#31 2008-05-24 23:21:34

wolfsongx

Just caught up.  I love it.  Chis is a formal member of Dep:118 now, awesome.  I like how you were going with how Chris was treated by the tribe.  Standing up to a bully often leads to a similar situation.  Very awesome!

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#32 2008-05-30 15:06:53

punxnotdead

So, have you considered posting more. Sorry for my impatience, but I seem to be experiencing chronic withdrawls tongue

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#33 2008-05-30 15:26:24

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

LOL, funny you should say that just now...
I have a small portion ready for posting, so here it is. It's pretty small, but it gives us more insight on Jake. I'll try to have more after the weekend.

--------------------------------------

The chill from the winds of night had no effect on him. The sky to the south was upstaged by foreboding clouds that loomed over the manmade structures of the city, randomly illuminated by white flashes of anger. Above him the night sky was clear; yet even this far away from the thunderstorm, the wind ripped through the trees with little respect for their slow and gentle ways. There were foothills with crevasses near and to the right; they were his target. Though he felt no detriment to the wind’s fury, it wielded an aggressive persuasion that redirected his path against his will.

Using his understanding of the trees and how they relate to the terrain, he was able to swiftly traverse the distance and soon found shelter from the wind behind the cliff of a small crevasse. With a deep breath he concentrated, trying to isolate the scent of his quarry. It was no surprise that the angry wind had decimated the scent beyond recognition. The wind’s howl in his chosen location and the protests from the nearby trees annihilated any hope of finding his quarry by sound. His vision was his only recourse.

He climbed to the top of the cliff without difficulty and scanned the scene from that vantage point. It took a few moments but he soon spied his prey. The ebony creature could barely be seen in the night sky, easier to find when the dark gray clouds provided a backdrop. He watched the creature sliding effortlessly upon the angry wind, dancing gracefully in protest to the wind’s fury, gliding elegantly among the unseen currents. It was a beautiful sight, and made it all the more a shame that he had to put an end to it.

He used the convenience of the rocky terrain to mask his approach. Once it was safe to do so he maneuvered to a thicket of trees, decreasing his range to his target but not compromising his stealth. Every step brought him closer; every obstacle he hid behind was nearer to his prey. Lastly he was within range; all he had to do then was wait for his prey to land, and then the real hunt would begin.

Finally, it happened. The ebony creature glided down to a hilltop enshrouded by the forest, where it sat on a rock jutting out from the top and stared at the human city under the rainstorm.

He darted within the tree line until he was in a position to approach from behind, hoping the large wings of the creature would hinder its peripheral vision. He cautiously began to draw near the creature. Within moments he was close enough to touch it. He silently reached out toward the creature’s neck, confident that the wind would disperse his scent, and that the breeze rushing through the trees cancelled any sound of his approach adequately.

Nice job, Chris, said a foreign thought inside his head. If I wasn’t telepathic you might have surprised me.

With a huff of disappointment, Chris moved over to Jake’s left side and sat his hind end down. He took a moment and shared viewing the scene with Jake, enjoying the aggressive weather like very few humans ever would. Chris opened the hip pouch he was wearing and pulled out a water bottle. He popped the sports top open with the tips of his claws and offered it to Jake, who took it with thanks and squirted some of its contents into his mouth.

“Did you want to get out of the wind?” Chris asked. Though he spoke in the hybreed language, a complex combination of words, sounds, gestures, and movements, he gave Jake standing permission to read his mind and insert thoughts. As a result, they could easily hold a conversation without much being said out loud, especially when Chris was in his hybreed form. Chris was not fluent in Jake’s preferred language, ASL, so this recourse was the best option.

Jake looked up into the sky and then at the surrounding trees, narrowing his eyes at certain points. No need; the storm’s about to shift, he reported. Give it a few minutes and the wind will die down.

As they shared the rest of the water and waited, Jake’s prediction manifested itself. The angry wind calmed to a gentle draft, and the trees softened their swaying.

“That’s pretty amazing, Jake. Can you actually see the wind currents?”

No, but I can see how everything is affected by them. I can extrapolate from that information and identify where the currents are and where they’re going. Sometimes I can pick them up with my hearing and echolocation, but not that often.

Chris thought about that ability, and then thought about his hunting skills as he approached Jake from behind. “You could hear me approaching you, couldn’t you?”

Not until you were right behind me. I could hear your breathing and heartbeat at that point, too. But I could sense your mind once I landed and sat down for a bit; that’s what really tipped me off.

“Remind me never to play hide and seek with you,” Chris jested.

Jake smiled at the comment, and a small pause made its way across the hilltop before Chris changed the subject to something he knew would be more sensitive.

“Michelle’s back. She’s on her way to the office.”

Hence my being out here, Jake replied. There was a tone of conceit to the thought.

Chris attempted to show as much cautious concern as he could when asking his next question. “It hurts a lot, doesn’t it? Her rejection, I mean.”

‘If you love someone, set them free,’ Jake cited.

Though he could not verify it through his observations alone, and Jake was not about to admit it aloud, Chris felt that Jake was enduring the discomfort of the topic in preference for the company of another individual. The feeling permitted Chris to continue with the subject.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-10-02 19:03:00)

#34 2008-05-30 22:08:41

wolfsongx

Very interesting.  I can't wait to see what's next.

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#35 2008-05-31 12:12:02

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Yeah.. it's kinda bland without the second part of the conversation, huh?
Well, here's the second part.

------------------------------

“I just don’t get it, Jake. She seems like such a nice person, and a smart one, too. Why does she stay? She must know what it’s putting you through.” 

It’s not her fault; her tour of service with the Empire will be over in two years, and she’d be able to apply for a department transfer in three. It’s just a tough situation all the way around. I can’t expect her to ignore her uneasiness with my mutation; that wouldn’t be fair. So, she’s stuck working in a department with her mutated former boyfriend that she can’t come to terms with, and I’m stuck working in a department with the woman I love but doesn’t love me anymore.

“Oh man, Jake,” Chris said with heartfelt compassion, “that’s just plain terrible. I’m really sorry.”

Jake huffed a laugh. If you think that’s bad, consider Shannon's position. She’s stuck between her brother and her best friend. He shrugged. It’s all okay; I can handle it. I guess Shannon and I are both pretty much doomed when it comes to relationships. I try to think of it as the price for being telepathic.

“I don’t understand; Shannon has guy problems? I didn’t even know she was dating anyone.”

She isn’t. She hasn’t been able to date anyone since she got her telepathic abilities.

“How come?”

Oh, no; that’s a little too personal for me to discuss outside of her presence. If you want to know about that, you’ll have to ask Shannon herself. All I’m willing to say is that there are times when I’d rather have my problems with Michelle than have to endure what she goes through.

Needless to say, Chris found his interest peaked. He made it an internal point to begin building up enough courage so that he could ask Shannon about her situation. With all of this in mind, he was beginning to believe that the internal workings in Dep:118 were in danger of becoming a soap opera.

Well, I wouldn’t go that far, Jake humorously replied to Chris’ internal thought. It’s not a soap opera, but it’s not peaches and cream either. Not a big deal; I prefer sardines to peaches anyway.

Chris huffed at the comment, but also realized that Jake’s reply was a less-than-solid attempt at downplaying the significance of the issues. He felt it would be a better idea to change the subject, but it was Jake who changed it first.

So when does Dad want us to leave?

“He said the jet should be ready by tomorrow afternoon, so we can leave after that.”

Jake nodded, and then looked over at Chris. I hope you don’t mind, but I can pick up on some of your emotions. You’re excited about flying in the jet, but worried about going back to your home town. I would have expected the opposite.

“Oh; you would, would you?”

Yes; you’ve never been in a plane before, right? I’d expect you to be more apprehensive about flying. And you already know that we wiped almost all memories of you from the people in Romberg, so no one will recognize you except those people in the Deli. I’d think that would relieve any worries about returning to your home town. It’s just interesting that you’re looking forward to flying for the first time, and you’re worried about what people will think of you in Romberg.

Chris cocked his head awkwardly. “I’m more worried about how people feel about the Howler, really. I just up and left; I’m kind of afraid that people will think I abandoned them.”

You’ve talked to Phillip about it, right?

“Yeah; he told me that there hasn’t been a mention of the Howler in any of the tabloids for months, so they obviously don’t blame the Howler for disappearing. Still, that doesn’t mean people on the streets think the same way. “

Your reputation as the Howler means a lot to you, doesn’t it?

This time it was Chris who shrugged. “It was the only contribution to the community that I could make. I’d hate to think it went bad, you know?”

Oh, I don’t think you’ll have to worry about that.

Even without being telepathic, Chris could tell there was more in Jake’s comment than simple consolation. He stared at Jake’s ebony face, taking full account of his averting glances and pretentious postures as Jake avoided meeting Chris’ eyes. “What did you do?” Chris asked.

It’s not that big a deal, it just took a bit more time-

“What did you do?”

It was Shannon’s idea, really.

“Alright, fine; what was Shannon's idea?”

Jake grimaced. We gave your reputation a boost, but then we kind of added a little something to it. It’s nothing bad, though; honest.

“I’ll ask again, Jake: what did you guys do?”

Jake sighed. We sort of arranged it so that when anyone thinks of the Howler, they would kind of feel guilty about making him leave and then be determined to better their life in his honor. Sort of.

Chris dropped his shoulders in astonishment. “You what?!”

Romberg’s unemployment rate has been at a record low for 18 months, Jake offered amiably as justification.

Chris shook his head in disbelief, but was displaying a hybreed smile. “And Mom went along with this?”

She was sort of telepathically looking the other way when it happened. She had to hide her giggle or something.

“You guys are unbelievable!” Chris commented. “Okay, so, it there anything else you’d like to tell me?”

Jake looked up at the clouds, which had gotten closer as they talked. Yes, he said with his devious smile. The rain’s almost here. It’s time to find some shelter.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-05-31 12:15:32)

#36 2008-06-01 22:09:26

punxnotdead

I must get my eyes checked, Grayle. I can't believe I missed another one!
Anyways, I absolutely loved how you described the harsh wind and grey skies. I could vividly imagine it, and it was breath-taking. (not to mention that stomy days/nights are my worst fear, especially being caught in one like that.) I remember I had a nightmare once about such a storm, but instead, there was a tornado.

Anyways, I thought Hunter-prey scene was very well described. I could picture it so perfectly! And Jake being able to detect him with his telepathy is also a very nice touch.

I thoroughly enjoyed the meaningful conversation that Jake and Chris (both of which can relate with one another because of them being different/misunderstood from the rest of mankind). It really helped to solidify the relationship that Chris and Jake have.
Please post more!! Soon!

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#37 2008-06-02 21:20:33

wolfsongx

I just caught up.  Great addition Grayle.  I can imagine that being a telepath would make relationships with other people all the more difficult.  Also if the other person knew that you were telepathic, how much further that would complicate things.  I like what Shannon and Jake did for The Howler's rep too, that was touching.  Simply fabulous Grayle!

#38 2008-06-09 12:26:19

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Well, here's some more, but it's not going to stay. I've pretty much decided to cut this all out since it bogs down the pace too much, and some of it sounds a little clichĂ© anyway. Still, it explains more about historical events. Consider it a bonus or an extra.  Here you go.
---------------------------------------

When a Department is sanctioned by the American Empire, certain amenities are provided for its use. One of those amenities is a low-level private jet for use by the assigned Overlord to allow travel to the Imperial palace or other official matters. For Dep:118, it meant they could use it to travel to investigation sites. It didn’t matter in the slightest to Chris. It was his first time in any plane, and he was still in awe at the experience even after they arrived in Romberg.

During the flight, Chris was also given more knowledge about some of the other ongoing investigations by Dep:118, as well as a better explanation about Jake’s mutation and how Dad got Dep:118 sanctioned.

Jake was an imperial orphan, which meant that he was given to the Empire by his parents. He was assigned to Dr. Raymond Collins as an apprentice, where he helped the Doctor in researching genetic manipulation and augmentation in humans under the sanction if Dep:82. It was only a matter of time before the success of his research was noticed. A Directour of Dep:82 wanted to take over his research for possible military development, and Dad stopped him. As a result, the Directour blacklisted Dad so he couldn’t attain further resources, including funding. Jake volunteered through Imperial channels for the testing in an attempt to save Dad and his research. Before the testing, however, Dad officially adopted Jake as his son to show his thanks, and it secured Jake’s staying in Dad’s care if things went wrong.

The first few tests were very successful, giving him recordable increases in strength and stamina. The fourth test was supposed to augment his hearing by genetically altering his middle and inner ears, using a fisherman bat as a reference. The genetic manipulation mutated Jake to his current form in a matter of days, and Dad was riddled with guilt and a lack of understanding. Julie, who was Dad’s fiancĂ©e at the time, was able to guide them both to the discovery that the fisherman bat was already genetically altered, and Jake’s mutation was the result of the bat being used in the experiment.

Dep:82 attempted to claim Jake was their property, and tried to abduct him both legally and illegally. According to Jake, Dad nearly went ballistic when he found out. He acquired evidence of certain questionable things that Dep:82 had attempted in the past and was able to bring the evidence before the Empress herself. He also presented Jake’s attempted abduction by Dep:82 to the Empress. As a result, she had a charter drawn up and approved for Dep:118, Dad was put in as Overlord, and over two-thirds of the research subjects of Dep:82 were transferred by Imperial Order to Dep:118 for investigation. The Directour who was the source of the difficulty was transferred to a much lower position in Dep:4, which was responsible for all things military.

Shannon was transferred from Dep:4 to Dep:118 in an attempt by the Directour to keep tabs on Dad, apparently in the hopes of getting revenge. His plan backfired when Shannon learned of Jake’s telepathic abilities and then revealed her own. With Shannon’s revelation, Julie was finally able to identify the source of their abilities. She verified that the bat that lost its life in the experiment was altered with energies left over from a Brevish execution. Shannon also received part of that energy at the exact same time the bat did; they each received half of a whole, and Jake inherited those abilities when he was inadvertently merged with the bat nearly three years later. As a result, Shannon and Jake began to view each other as siblings; Shannon accepted Dr. Collins as Dad, and Julie as Mom. She kept in contact with her biological mother and father, who were still alive but would never be a family. Finally, she accepted this makeshift family as her own.

Although the subject of Michelle was compassionately avoided during the flight, Chris was aware of most of that issue. Michelle got a transfer to Dep:118 once she found out about its creation and who was involved. She wanted to keep her arrival as a surprise. Once she saw what happened to Jake, she blamed him for not telling her what happened. She ended the relationship, but had not attempted to pursue any other relationship from that time onward.

After being informed of the disaster Shannon attempted to make things right, but even she failed in her attempts. She was able to verify, however, that Michelle still has feelings for Jake, but refused to face them. Shannon has offered to help her with that, against her will if necessary; She found Michelle’s treatment of Jake and their former relationship deplorable. At times when the situation had been more intense, it was only due to the insistence of Jake to let Michelle alone that has kept Shannon from attempting to forcibly rectify the circumstances. The awkward situation has persisted ever since.

And the rest, as Phillip said, was departmental history.

#39 2008-06-10 20:11:15

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Here's how the next part currently stands without most of the previous post. The only part of the previous post I'm keeping so far is the first paragraph, so this part picks up right after that.
------------------------

The three began making a plan of attack. The list of Romberg citizens that may actually be hybreed consisted of forty-eight names. It was decided that they would attempt to find the people on the list, ask them a few questions discreetly, and hope for the best. Chris and Phillip divided up the list between them. Jake agreed to do reconnaissance in the twilight hours, using his telepathic abilities to shield his presence from wary eyes. He only hoped that the citizens of Romberg did not make it a habit to point their video cameras into the night sky very often. The subject also brought up the challenge of accommodations. Jake informed them that although he could mask himself as a normal human for a limited period of time, it would be difficult to do for extended periods without Julie’s help.

They agreed to find two rooms on the western outskirts of Romberg, which held a cultural atmosphere that would be much less likely to notice a giant mutated bat. Most people in that area tried to keep their heads down, and usually with good reason. The only one that would really be in danger in that area was Philip, who was understandably not too keen on the idea, but Jake and Chris assured him that he would be well protected in their presence. 

Chris felt that the first place to attempt information on his list of twenty-four candidates was, of course, a place he used to frequent regularly: the local library. Before he did that, however, he wanted to have some lunch; and he knew exactly where he wanted to have it. Phillip agreed to join Chris for lunch and Jake agreed to stay behind with the jet for the time being. Chris offered to bring him back some fresh fish if they had any, and Jake accepted the offer. Finally, Chris and Phillip made their way to the appropriate street and found the establishment where over two years ago Chris revealed his most precious secret to a chosen few.

The delicatessen was as busy as he remembered. There were a handful of individuals occupying the tables, a couple perusing the meat selections behind protective glass, and a person ordering a sandwich at the counter. Philip and Chris got in line, and soon it was their turn to order. Chris did not recognize the woman who took their orders, but he was unconcerned. It was likely that they would receive new employees over the given amount of time he’d been away.

Chris enjoyed his Rueben sandwich, and Phillip indulged himself with what he referred to as a ‘Phillip Cheese Steak’ sandwich. He had to explain the ingredients to the woman behind the counter, but she accepted the order without incident. As they ate, they discussed new movies coming out and new issues of their favourite comic books; all the while Chris kept an eye on the employees, trying to find the face of someone he may recognize. As they both finished their sandwiches, Chris rose <FROM> his seat and approached the counter. The same woman approached him and asked for his order.

“I was wondering if Justin was working today.” The woman looked at him with a confused look, so Chris added to his comment. “He’s the manager.” 

The woman still looked confused, and asked Chris to hold on for a minute. She went to the back room for a moment, and brought out another woman with her.

“I’m Melissa, the shift manager. You’re looking for Justin?”

“Yes,” Chris confirmed. He recognized her name; it was one of the two names Justin mentioned in a note addressed to the Howler. She was short and slender, with brown curly hair and big brown eyes. She wore an apron with multiple stains on it, but it didn’t take away from her confidence.

“I’m sorry, but Justin doesn’t work here any more. I might be able to relay a message, though.”

Chris was a bit disappointed that Justin no longer worked at the Deli, but he did not assume the worst. It was possible that he found something better. It’s not like he promised to wait here for Chris to return, after all. “I guess that will do; could you tell him that Chris Hansen stopped by to say hi?”

It was almost unnoticeable, but Chris was instinctively observant to even the slightest twitch of body language. Melissa’s big brown eyes widened and her head raised slightly after Chris revealed his name. It was clear that she recognized it.

“Tell you what,” Melissa said, “It’s a little noisy in here, and it’s stuffy, too. How about some air?”

“Sure,” Chris replied, as neutrally as he could. As Melissa emerged from behind the counter, Chris motioned for Phillip to hold stay at the table as he followed Melissa to the front door. The walked to the edge of the building and stopped next to the alleyway that separated the Delicatessen from the former convenience store, which was now a shop that specialized in baby apparel and accessories.

“Justin told me who you were. Is it you? I mean, is it really you?”

Chris nodded, understanding her need for verification. “You guys used to leave stuff for me up there,” and he looked up toward the roof of the shop. “You and Ryan were going to take care of my food bowl while Justin was on vacation two years ago.”

“Yeah,” she affirmed with a smile. She had a nice smile. “I can’t believe I’m actually talking to you; and after all this time, too. Well, just so you know, Ryan’s not here anymore. He got accepted to Hawking University and moved to Chemlok about a year and a half ago, but I haven’t heard from him since Chemlok became an Isolation Colony.” Her smile dimmed as she gave the report about Ryan.

“I’m sorry to hear that,” Chris said. He was partially aware that the city of Chemlok seceded from the Empire a few months after he left for the haunted forest. Being an Isolation Colony meant they had to be their own, self-sustaining independent state. They could not have contact or transactions with any other Isolation Colony or with the Empire. As a result, there was no telling how Ryan was doing.

“What about Justin?”

“I don’t really know. He went on vacation a few months back, and then we got a letter saying he found another job and wouldn’t be coming back. We still don’t have a clue where he went. I was given his position after we got that letter.” 

“I see; but then how come you said you might be able to relay a message?”

“Oh, that,” Melissa said with a shrug. “I was just trying to find out what you wanted him for.”

Chris nodded in understanding. “Do you have any idea where he was going on vacation?”

Last edited by Grayle (2008-06-12 18:05:19)

#40 2008-06-11 17:25:51

punxnotdead

Very nice segments. I especially how you described how Jake became mutated and the exasperation that Dad felt. He's such a compassionate character. Also, I like how you didn't make Jake the more cliche vampire bat mutant where he has to feed off of blood. It's a more logical explanation for it being a fisherman's bat (with the exceptional hearing).
I think I have an idea as to where Ryan and Justin went, but It could be a premature hypothesis. I'll share it to you id you like, but it my prediction has a few inconsistencies.
Anywho, the look of bewilderment on her face was easy to invision and realistic as well. Your writing is always easy to follow, and not to mention, I'm always left wanting more.

I think I found one very minor typo:
'Chris rose form his seat and approached the counter. The same woman approached him and asked for his order.'

Other than that, it made for a flawless read.
smile

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#41 2008-06-12 18:04:21

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Blasted typos! It's the keyboard, I tell ya', honest...

As to your predictions, Punx, you may be onto something with Justin, but Ryan has basically entered a different world. The Whole situation in Chemlok is covered in a different storyline that happens in the same universe.
  I still don't think I should keep the 'departmental history' sequence. I might plug it in at a different point of the story. I feel like it bogs down the story too much when I put it here. We'll see.
  Here's the rest of the scene.

------------------------------

Melissa shook her head. “He liked to go hiking and camping a lot, so I’m guessing he went on a camping trip, but he didn’t mention where. The letter didn’t have a return address, either.” 

This was odd; he went on vacation and then up and left for a new job, and didn’t say anything more? Chris felt it sounded more like a cover-up than anything else. “Well, if you get any word from him, could you let me know? You can find contact information for me in ALAN.”

Melissa refreshed her smile. “I’ll do that. Can I contact you for any other reason?”

Chris smiled, but was uncertain why she would ask him for such an imposition. “I suppose so; I can’t guarantee I’ll reply, though. I just got hired, and it looks like they’re going to keep me moving around a lot.”

Melissa perked up with curiosity. “You got a job? A regular job?”

Chris nodded amiably.

“That sucks,” she commented with insincere disappointment. “So, no chance of you coming back then, is there?”

Chris shook his head. “It was getting to the point where it was too dangerous even for me. I had to let it go.”

“So, what are you doing now?”

“I work for the Empire, actually.”

Melissa was slightly surprised to hear Chris say that. “Do they
know about you?”

Chris appreciated her tact. “Only the ones that should know, and none of the ones that shouldn’t. And I’m going to do my best to keep it that way.”

It was about that time that Phillip decided to step outside and check on Chris. He looked over at Chris and Melissa, and Chris motioned him over. After Phillip approached, Chris made the introductions. Phillip made no attempt at hiding the fact that he found Melissa attractive, but at least he was polite about it.   

“So you two work together?” Melissa asked.

“Yeah,” Phillip replied. “We both work for Dep:118, so if you’re ever in Culmna City-”

“Phillip!” Chris barked.

“What? It’s not like it’s a secret. All she has to do is look us up over ALAN.”

Although he was at a loss to argue the point, Chris was nonetheless disturbed by the revelation.

Melissa noticed. “Come on; you got to realize by now that I’m not going to blab. Besides, I don’t even know what that department does.”

“Unexplained phenomena,” Phillip told her proudly. “We strive to ‘understand the unexplainable,’ so to speak. We’re a great department to work for if, say, you’re a werewolf and you’re looking for other werewolves-”

“Phillip, will you knock it off?!” Chris commanded softly.

“Whaaaaaat?” Phillip whined.

“I can’t tell if anyone is listening in,” Chris said intensively as he scanned the street.

“You and your conspiracies
” Phillip teased sarcastically, and turned his attention back to Melissa. “Look, I hope you’re not put off by the ‘howling humbug’ here,” and he cocked his head at Chris. “If you’re ever in Culmna City, look us up and we’ll give you a tour of the town. Here’s my card,” and he handed Melissa a plastic card with a moving logo for Dep:118 and his contact information.

Melissa shot a quick look of mild disappointment to Chris, and then accepted Phillip’s card with thanks. They each bade the others farewell, and then Chris and Phillip began walking down the street. As they did, Chris expressed his concerns about the suspicious disappearance of Justin, as well as Phillip’s unrestricted divulgence.

“So you’re worried that someone ‘abducted’ Justin so that they could get tabs on your whereabouts?”

“Yes; and whoever they are may be listening in to find out where I am.”

Phillip smiled and shook his head in disbelief. “All right, let me ask you this: did the Howler ever make any enemies that were constantly bent on trying to take him down?”

Chris thought for a moment. Certainly every criminal he subverted would dislike that they were foiled, but no one ever tried to capture or even hunt him. “Not really, no.”

“Okay, so why worry? The state of Justin’s leaving is weird, sure, but that doesn’t mean you have to become a mystery. Melissa already knows who and what you are, she’s probably the only one left in this city who does; and she’s willing to keep your secret. On top of that, she’s hot; so there’s definitely no reason to close the door on her.”

“Phil, what if whoever got to Justin is still keeping tabs on the Deli? Why else would she want to talk to me outside?”

Phillip gave an exasperated groan. “Because she wanted to get you alone, Chris! Jeez, you’re dense! I saw her looking at you; she was after you, man! It wasn’t some big conspiracy; it was just the laws of attraction. But since you’re obviously not the slightest bit interested, I call dibs on her, so hands off.”

Chris sighed with annoyance. Phil caught the action and gestured for both of them to halt their walk.

“Look, Chris; considering who and what you are - and who and what you were - I can understand your suspicion. But there’s two things you need to keep in mind. One: your identity in this city was wiped out. It looks like the only one left who knows about you is the lovely Melissa. You might want to add her to your friends list. Two: you’re not alone anymore. You’ve got me and Jake with you here - not to mention Dad and the rest of our little family, all of whom are no further away than a phone call. So just relax, you’re safe; let’s just focus on finding others of your people. Maybe we can help them avoid the pit of paranoia that you’re sloshing around in, eh?”

It was difficult to accept, but perhaps Phillip was right. Chris was not used to having people on his side, let alone ones that he could trust. Maybe he was still reacting to how he was treated by Raaym and his tribe. Phillip was right that he had people he could trust now, and it wasn’t fair for Chris to push them away. Maybe he simply needed to begin trusting other people when it was proper to do so.

#42 2008-06-13 00:51:22

punxnotdead

...And the suspense/wonder just keeps coming. I have further suspicions as to why Melissa went outside. Perhaps she's working with someone (because she's a hybreed) trying to find Chris, and wanted to overhear their conversation to confirm it. But then again, Chris should be able to pick up on her faint but distinct hybreed smell.
You've really got me thinking here...
Also, I looove Phillip's character. He's very funny and has the perfect retort. Gotta love him, and the way he went onto Melissia - very phillip-like!
Awsome job, yet again, Grayle.
I'll continue to mull over the situation and see what I can come up with.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#43 2008-06-16 20:14:19

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Heheheh... If you think THAT's curious...
----------------------

On the way to the hotel, they stopped by a market and picked up some fresh salmon, halibut, and mahi-mahi fillets for their winged colleague. Once they presented the gifts to him Jake was extremely pleased, as he was famished. He tore into the raw fish like it was meat to a starving wolf. Phillip did his best to avoid displaying his disturbance at the sight. Chris was heading in the same direction until he realized that it was no different from Chris himself gorging on a raw steak. From that point on, he had no problem with Jake’s eating habits or choice of cuisine.

The next day arrived. Chris made a food run, and the three started doing research on the candidates as they broke their fast. Phillip was able to narrow down his list of twenty-four candidates by attempting to call many of them and setting up appointments to visit them through the next few days. Most of them did not answer, or the contact information was invalid. Chris had similar results. By the time they were finished, the list of fourty-eight was down to nineteen individuals that they could make contact with immediately. There were seven other names that did not answer their vidphones.

Jake updated the list while the other two finished their meals. It was during that time when Jake found an interesting anomaly. Two of the individuals, Joseph Malone and Richard Linthrop, had the same address for the past four years. When located on a map of Romberg, the address was found to be within visual range of the giant wall that separated the city from the haunted forest. When he showed this discovery to Chris, there was no doubt where Chris felt he should start the search. Chris asked for Phillip to continue with the list as he sought out these two individuals, explaining that being approached by a lone hybreed may be less conspicuous. Jake and Phillip accepted the explanation, but not without scrutiny.

Chris used public transportation to make his way toward his destination. Though he never took that particular route before, the trolley buses used and the quality of users had apparently refrained from changing in the last two years. The floor was slightly sticky in places, and a few newspapers were on the floor between some of the seats. An old couple sat in the side-seats along the wall, staring out the windows on the opposite side. A handful of teenagers were on the back bench causing a ruckus. Across from the rear doors was a woman wearing headphones and trying to read a book. If he listened carefully, Chris could hear the classical music to which she was listening. None of them tried to make eye contact even once.

Halfway there, a group of maybe 10 individuals entered the bus. They were obviously a gang of some sort, with their smug looks, tough-guy posture and they all wore matching arm bands. Two of them sat in the seat directly in front of Chris. He was ready and willing to pay them no mind and stay clear of them until he caught sight of the logo that was displayed on the arm band. The logo was a silkscreen representation of a wolf, howling in front of the moon from the ledge of a building. Chris stared at the logo, and his mind could not help but wonder about its significance. One of their associates sitting across from the older couple noticed his stare, however, and with a jut of his jaw informed the ones in front of Chris about his attention. One of them turned around slowly, and looked at Chris with contempt.

“You got a problem?” he asked.

Chris shook his head with a smile. “No sir; I was only admiring your logo. It’s really good work,” Chris lied. He wasn’t about to get in a scrape if he could avoid it.

The gang member continued his relentless glare; the dark blue of his eyes only accentuated the purity of his subtle malice. This guy obviously liked to intimidate others with his member status. It started to look like avoiding a scrape wasn’t going to be that easy, unless Chris walked on eggshells with each of his comments.

“It looks like all of you have that logo. If you don’t mind me asking, what’s its meaning?”

The member did not change anything of his stare, but he did respond. “We’re the Howlers,” he explained succinctly.

Chris widened his eyes. “The Howlers?”

“Got a problem with that?” The member challenged.

Needless to say, Chris was intrigued. “No, not a bit. Are you part of the same group that I read about a few years ago, the one that was stopping city crime?”

“That was the original Howler. We follow his lead,” the second member explained over his shoulder.

“So, the Howler leads you? I mean, the original Howler?”

“That’s right,” the first member said.

This surprised Chris even more. There wasn’t just a gang acting in his name, but an imposter. Chris did his best to avoid showing his frustration with this issue, and apparently succeeded to the point that none of the ‘Howlers’ noticed it.

Chris smiled. “Well, if you’re helping to keep the crime rate down, I’d say the city is better off, so thanks for that.”

The first member turned back around without saying anything more, and the rest of the bus ride was devoid of conversation. Soon the trolley bus reached the closest stop to his destination, and Chris exited. He made it a point to show courtesy by saying it was nice meeting the gang member, but surprisingly he didn’t get a response. His destination was near the end of the street, nearly half a kilometer away. Chris didn’t mind, it gave him a chance to consider this new development.

So at some point in the last two years, someone claimed to be the Howler and took leadership of this gang. There was no reason to believe that they were doing anything unethical at this point. However, no one seemed to know about them. According to Phillip, there hadn’t been a mention of the Howler in the newspapers or tabloids for months; surely a gang named after him would have been mentioned. That meant either they weren’t worth mentioning, or they were deliberately being ignored by the press. Whether this was a profound development or just a side-effect to the boost that his reputation received, this was definitely something he wanted to discuss with the others.

It was not too long before Chris arrived in front of the listed home of Joseph Malone and Richard Linthrop. It was a quaint little home painted light blue, with perhaps two or three bedrooms and a small yard in front. All the window shades were drawn shut, but there was a vertical gap between them. There was a fence on either side of the house blocking view of the sides and the back. The faded black mailbox standing guard at the paved walkway to the front of the home had the address “4225 Cottonwood Lane” listed on it. The covered front porch was devoid of fixtures, with the exception of a waist-tall fence and gate enclosing the porch and a set of wind chimes that caught nearly every waft of air in the vicinity. The lawn and the pavement looked untouched by foot or paw. Chris took a deep breath of air, and found no traces of any recognizable scents. As he approached the front door, he caught no sound of movement inside. Chris concluded that there was nothing about this house which indicated there were hybreed living in it.

So if there were, they knew very well how to cover their tracks.

Cautiously he reached for the doorbell and rang it. Seconds later, he heard the quiet padding of paws approaching the other side of the door. Instead of being greeted by a multitude of barking, warning of the visitour’s approach, Chris only heard a stealthy approach and a succession of sniffs. Whoever was inside was attempting to check him out. It could be a hybreed that took wolf form, but most likely it was an affiliate of man’s best friend, successfully taught to hold its tongue when guests came a-visiting.

Chris was aware that dogs and cats didn’t like him since the first time he shifted. He surmised it was because they could somehow sense that he was hiding his true form. As a result, it was doubtful that any hybreed would have a dog as a pet, so perhaps the tenants were not of his kind. The beast on the other side of this door, however, was not growling or barking a warning upon catching his scent, as Chris would have expected, but still held to silence. He finally came to the conclusion that either it was used to hybreed characteristics in human form, or it was hybreed itself.

“Can you hear me?” He asked.

The sniffing stopped, and nothing but the wind chimes made any further sound.

“If you can understand me, scratch twice on the door.”

Only the chimes persisted. If anyone was home, certainly they would have answered by now.

After a few moments of waiting, trying to decipher any sound or conveyance, Chris began to turn from the door. He would watch the house over the next day and await the residents to return. He looked down the street and decided on a few positions from where he could keep the house under surveillance as the light of day diminished. And so he left for now, paying no attention to the amber eye watching his departure from the gap in the shades.

#44 2008-06-16 20:27:18

wolfsongx

Very cool.  Gotta wonder about that gang, what is their deal exactly and who is the impostor.  I can't wait for more!

#45 2008-06-18 11:54:17

punxnotdead

Sorry, Grayle, I only got through half of your post. THe bell just rang, and I can't go on the internet today, probably, because of tireless studying for my exam tomorrow. Chemistry!
I'll try to read more as soon as I can!

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#46 2008-06-19 15:27:55

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Take it easy, Punx - focus on getting those exams over with; there's fortunately no expiration date for the posts here, so this can wait until next week if it needs to, okay?

I'm glad that caught your interest, Wolfsong! I probably won't go into more detail on the gang any time soon, at least not until after Chris meets up with
<EDITED FOR SPOILERS> and then they go and <EDITED FOR SPOILERS> in the haunted forest, but I haven't even gotten that far yet.

Anyway, here's some more. It feels really muddled to me, so I'd appreciated any opinions, for or against doesn't matter.

-------------------------

Memories of scouring over the rooftops of Romberg slithered through his mind like the breeze in the trees. It seemed a lifetime ago that he used his hybreed form in community service. His familiarity with surveillance techniques from that time in his life, however, proved useful in monitoring the quaint little house on Cottonwood Lane. Chris could not help but find the irony of taking hybreed form near the turn of night and watching over the streets of Romberg once again. Granted, he was no longer the Howler, and there was a concern in the back of his mind that someone else had reclaimed that title from him, but these facts did not deter from the current issues.

The street twisted and turned, but effectively ran parallel to the great wall of the haunted forest, which stood guard vigilantly thirty yards behind him. The houses closest to the wall mostly had a large wall of their own bordering their property, as if to keep the giant eyesore from vision when the residents looked upon their yards. The passage created by both walls was populated by a bike path. Tall grass and trees lined the residential wall, and provided sufficient cover for a hybreed trying to keep hidden. There were also a few narrow entry points to the path from Cottonwood Lane, and one in particular was worthy of note. From a place in the tall grass next to the residential wall, Chris could peer down the entry point and view the home of his quarry.

The only real concern of detection came from possible travelers of the bike path who might catch a glimpse of something lurking in the tall grass; fortunately, the path was not currently in use. Nonetheless, Chris used his senses to monitor the path as well as his target three houses away. From his current vantage point, he was able to survey the front of the home through a diagonal entry point. As the sun made its way behind the imperial forest to the west, twilight brought vibrant shades of red and orange to the clouds above; but Chris did not entertain any inclination to admire the scenery.

Eventually Chris spied a man approaching the home. His dirty-blond hair was cut short yet professional, but he wore simple jeans, a tee shirt, and sneakers. He seemed an average human but for the fact that he scanned his surroundings before opening the gate on the front porch, ensuring himself of the environment before he entered the house.

As twilight darkened into night, another person drew near the home. This man had dark hair and bright eyes. His attire told of a more specialized occupation, consisting of slacks and a uniform shirt, but Chris was too far away to identify the branding on the shirt in the dim light. Chris was able to notice, however, that this man also scanned the surroundings before entering the gate, but was much more subtle in his actions; his body and head did not turn as much as his eyes shifted. When Chris compared the lack of body language with the actions taken, he could conclude that this man was used to being alert, observant, and even calculating.

Even if they weren’t hybreed, both of these men seemed to have something to hide.

After waiting for a little over a half hour, the two gentlemen emerged with a gorgeous canine with darkened brown/black fur and piercing amber eyes. Such markings were typical of a wolf, not a dog. The canine was not kept on a leash, but stayed in step with the man who first arrived. It sniffed the air casually, and looked back at the man with dirty-blond hair. At that point, the three individuals walked along the sidewalk and went through an entry point to the bike path, heading right for him.

Chris didn’t have much time. He darted down the passage quickly, looking for a better place to hide. When he reached the point where the passage opened up to a causeway that spanned the freeways, he found a sufficient place. He hid underneath the causeway as it left the ground. With one eye he peered around the edge of the fixture back the way he came, and saw both men and the canine jogging along the path toward the causeway. At that point, all Chris could do was hope they would continue in their direction and effectively cross over his hiding place, and that is what happened.

There was no doubt now that the canine was a wolf, but he was surprised that it didn’t detect his presence as they passed him. It was also very curious that two men would have a wolf as a pet and would take it into public places without any restraints; if a public servant found them, they would be fined without question. The clues were so odd that Chris was nearly compelled by his paws alone to follow them secretly, hoping to get a definitive answer. And so, when the coast was clear, he made his trek across the causeway and followed the trio as they continued west.

The bike path continued along the southern tree line marking the border of the imperial forest preserve. The bike path went so far as to pass in front of the entry to Ashley Campground. Once he safely made it past the causeway, he used the tree line to his advantage and attempted to close the distance between he and his prey. His hybreed instincts were revitalized by the presence of trees and brush; it invigorated him and renewed his strength. Once again, he was in the presence of the Earthlife.

Cautiously he stalked his prey. It was not that surprising when he noticed them leave the bike path and enter the tree line. Chris took note of their place of entrance and moved toward it. Within the failing light, his sense of hearing and smell easily compensated for any lack of information from his eyes. He found tracks for each of the three, and took note of their smell as well as any visual characteristics he could determine. At that point, everything that was hybreed about him overtook any human inclinations. Chris was once again in his true element, and the hunt was on.

He continued at a casual pace, sniffing the air and their tracks until he was confident that he had a lock on their scents. Further into the imperial preserve the trail led him, and he soon found a pile of clothing. He inspected the clothing with his olfactory senses, and expectantly found a hybreed scent lingering heavily upon them. He tested the air for the same scent, and found a new direction veering toward the west. Further on, the clouds and trees deferred their guard of the forest floor against the light of the half moon. Chris soon deciphered three separate hybreed tracks as well as some torn clothing scattered upon the forest floor. It was not at all difficult to conclude that not just the wolf, but all three individuals were hybreed.

Without warning, Chris felt a large blunt object make contact with his right side, followed almost immediately by stings from his shoulder. As he collided with the ground and rolled, he caught sight of his attacker. It was indeed another hybreed, with a snarling muzzle bearing teeth with small blood stains, along with fierce amber eyes. Chris righted himself and faced his assailant. He was about to ask a truce, but the hybreed lunged at him again. It jumped at him. Chris attempted to dodge the attack but the hybreed actually jumped with a trajectory that was not at him, but over him. The hybreed caught the side of his head with a blow as it passed over him. Chris shook off the disorientation and looked behind him, but found that the hybreed was apparently in full retreat.

Chris quickly gave chase, but the hybreed was extremely agile. It was not long before Chris was forced to revert to tracking again. The tracks led to a small glade and traversed it, but when the tracks reached the tree line at the other end, they disappeared! Chris nodded that the last prints he found were slightly deeper than the rest. Considering the leaping capability of his quarry, Chris began to scour the forest in the direction suggested by the prints, hoping to find where the hybreed landed, but could not find any. He looked to the left, and to the right but found no trace of where the hybreed went.     

And then he looked upward, and at the same time realized that if there were not any landing prints on the ground, perhaps the hybreed did not land there. He remembered how he attempted to travel through the trees in order to avoid that pack in the haunted forest. With a running start, Chris vaulted into a tree directly in the path suggested by the deeper prints. Sure enough, he found scratches in one of the branches, obviously left by the hybreed’s hind claws as they jumped again. Unfortunately, trying to follow a trail like this would be nearly impossible. He would have to look for other signs, and hope for the best.

He returned to the forest floor, with the glade several paces behind him, and began to sniff the air. Chris almost immediately found a hybreed scent, and it was strong. With a few quick sniffs, Chris was able to determine the direction. As he looked in that direction behind him and to the right, he felt another blow attack him from the left, and he careened into a tree trunk. Chris picked himself up and faced his opponent once again, but found that this was not the same hybreed. This one had dirty-blond fur with light green eyes; there was no doubt that this hybreed was the first of the two men to arrive at the house.

“I ruined a perfectly good jogging shirt because of you,” he said – in the hybreed language.

Chris perked his ears and widened his eyes in response, but before he could say anything else the hybreed charged him.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-06-19 18:41:37)

#47 2008-06-21 02:16:16

wolfsongx

So was the three hybreeds in the house?  Intresting.  smile

#48 2008-06-23 18:13:20

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Forgive me for asking, wolfsong, but the identity of the three individuals - I mean, the fact that they are all hybreed - did it turn out to be vague in your reading? If so, I'll need to work on that. Please, if you could elaborate, I'd appreciate it.
  That being asked, tracking 3 individuals and then experiencing them turning the tables on the tracker like this is bound to be bewildering. As such, let's continue with this turning of tables, and see if young Christopher ends up on top of the tables, or beneath them...

P.S.  Hey Punx - remember Hybreed: Confrontations? Of course, simply by asking the question I've probably given away the surprise identity of these three hybreed, so I might as well get it over with...

----------------------

Chris anticipated that this hybreed would leap over him like the previous one did, and so he prepared to dodge out of the way. Instead, at the last moment this hybreed slid underneath Chris and used his two hind limbs to push against Chris at his abdomen, sending Chris helplessly and uncontrollably into the air. His back slammed against the underside of multiple branches, and he began plummeting toward the ground. Frantically he attempted to gain his bearings before he met with the forest floor. Since he was falling near a trunk, he reached out for it in an attempt to steady his tumble, and it worked. Chris then used the same trunk to push off as he did in the haunted forest, and the rest of his impact was softened as he rolled onto the ground. Once he righted himself, he gathered a quick glimpse of the blond hybreed pouncing for the glade. He followed as best he could, but by the time he reached the middle of the glade the other hybreed was gone, and the tracks once again showed deep imprints at the tree line. Chris looked up into the trees and sighed. 

After a moment of reconsideration, he realized that he was being toyed with. They were mocking him; they knew exactly where he was and how to attack him. With three of them they could overtake him any time they wished, but they were deliberately refraining from destroying him. Well, Chris had reached a point where enough was enough; he wasn’t in the mood to play games. The stings of the tooth slash on his shoulder made their existence known; the slashes were nothing more than a flesh wound, but they added to his frustration nonetheless. He decided he would wait for them to take him seriously.

Chris walked over to the middle of the glade. He scanned the surrounding tree line and, once confident that there were no signs of other imminent attacks, he promptly sat his hind end on the ground. As he stationed himself in the middle of the glade, he saw no reason to refrain from partaking in the ancient hybreed tradition of life-linking. After all, he had nothing else better to do at this point, and it might help his awareness of any approaching hybreed.

He took a deep, cleansing breath and closed his eyes. With his sense of hearing, he listened for every sound in the area that could be heard. He listened to the trees whisper to the wind. He listened to the far off call from an owl. He listened to the faintest sound of water falling over a brook, and recognized it as the small waterfall near Ashley Campground. That also helped him orient his location in the imperial forest preserve. Yet even with all he heard, there was no indication of hybreed in the area.

With his sense of smell, he picked up on every aroma the air brought to his nose. He detected the odor of exhaust from human vehicles, no doubt from the freeways. Chris caught the scent of animal droppings, a small family of rabbits, and a new bird’s nest. He easily found the fragrance of cedar and pine in the air, as well as several types of flowers in bloom. And he also caught scents of his people, the hybreed. The scents came from multiple directions, quite possibly coming from up in the trees, considering the earlier evidence. All three of the hybreed in question certainly knew how to remain quiet, but it would take enormous effort to hide their smell; they were close by, most likely watching him as he continued to life-link.

Chris attempted to correlate the directions and the sources from the information his senses were gathering. The brook was easy enough, as was the rabbit and the bird’s nest, but the only things he could gather on the hybreed scents was that they seemed to be in motion. With a little more concentration, it became clear that they were slowly circling him. Within a few moments, one of the scents became stronger, and its direction was discernable. Chris’ ears rotated in the direction of the scent. He could not pick up any sound that correlated to the scent. Cautiously Chris opened his eyes in the appropriate direction to the right. His eyes immediately met a slender hybreed, standing on all fours but as immobile as a <STATUE>, staring right back at him.

This hybreed had ebony fur and pale blue eyes, which were looking at Chris with disconcerting intensity. His ears were not as far on the top of his head as with Chris. Of course, the process of elimination as well as the colour of his coat identified this hybreed as the dark-haired man in the party he was tracking. There were gray highlights in the outer coat along his back that gave the fur along his back a frosted appearance. His tail was held at a neutral height, and stayed as rigid as the rest of him. His stance showed that he stood ready to either attack or retreat, but he was still willing to investigate the circumstances before he chose an action. His ears were forward and alert, and his eyes were absorbing the circumstances. If Chris had to, he’d bet that this one was the Alpha of this meager pack, if by nothing but his body language alone.

Chris was not sure if he should say anything, for fear of scaring off the only one of the three that was willing to approach him respectfully. Therefore, he slowly repositioned his head to face forward, closed his eyes, and continued to life-link. He soon sensed the other two hybreed approaching, slowly but cautiously. The third one, the possible Alpha, drew near enough where Chris could determine his precise location by scent alone; he had approached to just beyond arm’s reach. Chris heard him sniff several times, attempting to get further information, and Chris deferred to the query by staying still. When he sensed the ebony hybreed was standing in before him, Chris stopped his life-link. He opened his eyes and stared into the pale ones in front of his own. The intensity of those eyes spoke of both surprise and curiosity, but they were alert and observant as well.

What interested him the most was that this hybreed was not attempting to strictly enforce his position as Alpha. He did not challenge Chris, demanding a higher head and tail position, or making Chris expose his underside in submissive posture. Although he owned the air of authority, he did not succumb to the instinctive demands of identifying the rank and position of every hybreed he met. With his experience in Raaym’s tribe, Chris believed that all hybreed acted in such a fashion. Apparently, he was improperly taught on that issue as well.

At long last, the ebony hybreed addressed him in the hybreed language.

“You smell of humans, but you know of life-linking. Your track us well, but you do not fight well. You seem familiar, but I do not recognize your markings. You are a mystery.”

This hybreed was indeed observant, and yet at the same time he was not presumptuous either. What really caught the attention of Chris, however, was that the ebony hybreed called Chris a mystery, not a Coyote. This fact alone impressed him enough to feel at ease. Chris thought of holding his tongue and waiting to see what this hybreed would say next, but felt that building rapport was more important to this situation. He decided to offer his own observations in return.

“You are at home in the forest, but do not live in the forest. You know of life-linking, but still choose to live among humans. You listen to your instincts, but also keep control over them. You attack me with great prowess, but do not tear me down, and now you advance without bared teeth. You are also a mystery.”

The pale blue eyes of the ebony hybreed relaxed. They filled with acceptance and perhaps even admiration as he lifted his muzzle, ever so slightly.

“I am Truug,” the ebony one said, and patiently waited for Chris’ response.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-06-24 11:52:24)

#49 2008-06-24 00:11:46

punxnotdead

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!
Wow! I cannot believe what I was missing. In the recent post, I absolutely loved the descriptions of the night and house you used. I think it's the best description you've used yet. I was completely enthralled!
Also, I love how you describe Chris' stealth in following his prey, yet the three are completely oblivious...because they knew of his presence all along and Trugg wanted to test him. That's very Trugg-like and especially how Trugg has the air of dominence, yet he does not enforce it harshly. It portrays his wiseness that you included in the confrontations segment.
The dialogue between them is intelligent and insightful.
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

(On a sidenote, I may have found a wee error in this sentence, though it's nothing to fret over:
standing on all fours but as immobile as a stature, staring right back at him.
Should the bolded be 'statue'?

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#50 2008-06-24 11:24:09

wolfsongx

Just caught up and I like the new section, and how Chris was able to get the other hybreed to talk.  I'm a little confused by what you asked me, were you asking did I not get that they were hybreeds or have I just missed something entirely?  Sorry if I'm being dense but I'm sleepy.  I'd be glad to elaborate once I understand what we are talking about.

Board footer