The Werewolf Caf The Werewolf Caf

You are not logged in.

#51 2008-06-24 17:26:05

punxnotdead

Re: From the Files of Department 118 - Part Two (Complete)

wolfsongx wrote:

Just caught up and I like the new section, and how Chris was able to get the other hybreed to talk.  I'm a little confused by what you asked me, were you asking did I not get that they were hybreeds or have I just missed something entirely?  Sorry if I'm being dense but I'm sleepy.  I'd be glad to elaborate once I understand what we are talking about.

Have you read his other thread called Hybreed:confrontations?
If not, you might want to read that over and it will explain everything!

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#52 2008-06-30 22:56:58

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Well, wolfsong, your question was: "So was the three hybreed in the house?"
   I'm not sure if you're asking if the three occupants were hybreed in the guise of human, or if you were unclear on the location of the characters, or if you were confused with the one eye watching Chris leave the porch. I was hoping that the post about 2 humans walking with a large amber-eyed canine would help to clarify matters, but now I'm not sure if the issue was clarified enough for the reader.

Punx, thank you very much for your recommendations; you flatter me, and I certainly hope to live up to your expectations. Hybreed: Confrontations does give quite a few answers, perhaps even more than what is immediately apparent, but it's told from a vantage point outside of Chris or even Department 118. Even so, I'm still debating whether I should place it in between part 2 and part 3 in the finished work, or simply as an addition at the end of the whole thing.

It will be a while before the next installment is ready - I have a whole lot of catching up to do here and at home, and will post more as soon as I've got something to post that's worth posting. In any case, thank you both, Punx and wolfsong, for both of your input.

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#53 2008-07-01 22:14:00

punxnotdead

Grayle wrote:

Punx, thank you very much for your recommendations; you flatter me, and I certainly hope to live up to your expectations. Hybreed: Confrontations does give quite a few answers, perhaps even more than what is immediately apparent, but it's told from a vantage point outside of Chris or even Department 118. Even so, I'm still debating whether I should place it in between part 2 and part 3 in the finished work, or simply as an addition at the end of the whole thing.

Heh, no problem. I was really excited to see who it was and I definately urge you to add the confrontations section, as it will explain it. If I were you, I would put it before section 2, that way people are left in anticipation and then have the thrill of knowing who it is...if you know what I mean.
I can't wait, Grayle!

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#54 2008-07-02 10:44:37

wolfsongx

Grayle wrote:

Well, wolfsong, your question was: "So was the three hybreed in the house?"
   I'm not sure if you're asking if the three occupants were hybreed in the guise of human, or if you were unclear on the location of the characters, or if you were confused with the one eye watching Chris leave the porch. I was hoping that the post about 2 humans walking with a large amber-eyed canine would help to clarify matters, but now I'm not sure if the issue was clarified enough for the reader.

I think you explained it quite well.  I'm probably just being dense right now.  Can't wait for the next installment.  smile

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#55 2008-07-02 20:01:20

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Well, here's some more. It's choppy because I haven't proofread it yet, so if you find anything that needs to be changed, please let me know. I want to look for places where I can add more wolf-like characteristics, specifically.
-------------------

“I am Graman,” Chris replied.

“I know this name; Luumen spoke of you,” Truug reported.

Chris perked his ears and cocked his head in curiosity. This was a pack of hybreed in a human city, but they visited the haunted forest frequently enough to know some of its inhabitants, and were accepted by those they meet? Who were these hybreed?

“He spoke of teaching you our ways, and that you quested to find your parents,” Truug said.

“Yes,” Chris confirmed.

The other two hybreed came within range of Chris’ vision, taking in his scent as they drew near. Truug gestured with his muzzle to the blond hybreed, and then to the darker one with amber eyes.

“Grayle, and his mate, Janna.”

Again, this surprised Chris in the fact that it was not the Alpha that was mated, but apparently his Beta. Chris mirrored their taking in his scent, and then lowered his head and ears in respect. After giving sufficient time for the odiferous greetings, Truug continued his inquiry.

“Why do you hunt us, Graman?”

Apparently, Truug was not one to delight in small talk. Perhaps it was so much the better. Chris was still not sure how much he could trust these three, but they seemed to be taking the first steps by trusting him.

“I seek other hybreed to warn them of danger in the haunted forest.”

“Danger?”

“Yes; do you know of a tribe in the haunted forest led by an Alpha called Raaym?”

Truug’s pale blue eyes darted to either of his cohorts, but stayed for an extended period on the dark one, Janna. Chris looked at Janna as well, who seemed to be searching her memory. Finally she responded.

“The Storytellers spoke of one called Raaym. He was a Lone Wolf who visited the colony long ago, but he did not stay in the haunted forest. That is all I know if it.”

Truug nodded in acceptance as he turned toward Chris again. “This Alpha may not be the same hybreed. We know of many packs and a few tribes in the haunted forest, but we do not know of this Alpha. Why do you ask?”

Chris replied with as much caution as he could muster. “He may have brought a sickness among our people.”

Truug raised his muzzle at Chris’ comment, and the others showed interest as well. “What kind of sickness?” Truug asked.

Doing his best not to choke on the word, Chris told them: “Coyote.”

The blond hybreed, Grayle, bared his teeth and issued a low growl, shortly followed by a similar response from Janna. Even Truug showed an aversion to the word. There was no reason to doubt that they were acquainted with the significance of his claim. With their chosen residence in mind, it was possible they were accused of something similar in the past as well, but Chris did not want to jump to conclusions.

“You know, I’ve really grown to despise that word,” Grayle commented. 

The span in jumping to the aforesaid conclusion just became a lot smaller. “Do they say you follow the Coyote Way as well?” Chris asked.

“There are those who wanted to accuse us of following the Coyote Way, but Shaman encouraged the Colony to refrain from doing so,” Janna explained.

“One of the few benefits of litigation and bureaucracy,” Grayle added.

“So you follow hybreed ways?” Chris asked.

“We tend to the Earthlife when possible, we seek out the best of wolf and man, and make those qualities our own. What more to being a hybreed is there?” Janna explained.

Chris shook his head, indicating that he had no addition to make.

“So, if we choose to follow hybreed ways in a human city, are we still hybreed?” Truug asked.

Chris pointed his ears at Truug in response to the rhetorical question, and listened intently as Truug continued.

“Where we live should not matter, Graman. But many of our people distrust us because we are shifters. We do not want to be mistreated, and we do not want to make our own kind uncomfortable in our presence.”

Chris narrowed his eyes. “But that is not why you live in a human city,” he concluded.

This time Truug cocked his head and raised his ears in curiosity.

“Luumen can shift, yet he stays in the haunted forest. All of you could live as he does, but you choose to stay in a human city. Why?”

Truug smiled in admiration. Apparently Chris had impressed him with his observations. “We stay in Romberg to seek out those in the Book of Lost Children.”

Chris widened his eyes in surprise. They knew of the hybreed book, the one that recorded those not born hybreed who were left to wolf or human keeping! This small pack obviously had experience with how shifters would be treated if they ventured into the haunted forest alone. They were staying in the city near the wall, actively looking for other hybreed to make an appearance so they could warn their own kind! This was a tremendous opportunity; Chris realized that this small pack could be allies or contacts later on, but before that could happen, he needed to earn their trust.

“I may be able to help with your quest,” Chris offered.

“How?” Grayle asked suspiciously.

“We have a list of citizens in Romberg that we believe may be hybreed. The list is current according to records in the Empire. If you were to compare the two…”

“…We might be able to find them more quickly,” Truug finished.

Chris nodded in agreement with a smile.

“Who’s ‘we’?” Grayle asked.

“I have friends who know of our people, and wish to support us in fulfilling our purpose of tending the Earthlife.”

“Humans?” Janna asked.

“For the most part, yes,” Chris confirmed, and a surge of confidence bristled through his fur. “I trust them completely, even with my life.”

“You trust humans?” Janna asked with a mild sneer.

“And why not?” Truug asked as he turned in Janna’s direction. “There are bound to be humans we can trust, Janna, and we cannot afford to allow prejudice to rule us.” Truug turned his attention back to Chris. “You said your friends were human for the most part, but you did not say that they were others of our kind. If this part of your friends is not hybreed, nor is it human, than what is it?”

Chris thought for a moment. Should he tell them about the Brevish, who created the hybreed in the first place, and that his surrogate mother Julie was one of them? He remembered how the tribe in the haunted forest summarily rejected his knowledge when they learned of his shifting capability. It was likely that these three would react differently than the tribe, as they already had done, but Chris decided to wait until he discussed divulging that topic with Phillip and Jake. But Jake was a different story; he could tell them about Jake. In fact, he should tell them, especially if any of these three were going to meet him at some point.

“One of my friends is a mutation. He is like us; he is part human and part animal, but also much more than only those parts alone.”
Truug’s pale blue eyes, steadfast with observation and awareness, peered beyond Chris’ words. Chris could practically feel those eyes begin to dissect the meanings behind them.

“You have a well-rounded group of friends, Graman,” Grayle commented, “Hybreed, human, and none of the above.”

“Yes,” he agreed through a chuff-like laugh. Chris smiled sentimentally at Grayle’s comment. He wondered what Jake would say at being tied to such an exclusive label.

“How did you find us in the first place, Graman?” Truug asked, changing the subject.

“Your human names were on our list,” Chris admitted.

“And have you found others on this list?”

Chris shook his head. “Your names were the first I chose to seek out. Your address was the same, and your home was as very close to the haunted forest. It seemed the best place to start.”

“Where is the list now?” Grayle asked.

“It is with two my friends in the city. They are waiting for my return. They have ways of protection that will keep the list is very safe in their hands, I can assure you.”

Chris was so filled with conviction as he vouched for Phillip and Jake that it was impossible for the other three not to notice. At that point, Chris saw both Grayle and Janna look toward their Alpha, Truug. Chris redirected his attention toward Truug, whose eyes now held a look of satisfaction.

“You not only trust your friends, Graman,” He said, “but you believe in them. For shifting ones of our people, finding that quality in others is rare. When our kind learns to believe in others, it should not only be respected, but cherished.” Truug thought for a moment, and then nodded in assurance. “I would like to meet your friends, and examine your list.”

Chris bowed his head in respectful agreement. “Shall we meet here?” He asked, offering the forest as a neutral meeting place.

Truug shook his head. “Bring them to our home tomorrow night.”

“You are willing to let them into your home, even though you have never met them?”

Truug looked back at Chris with a slight smile under his pale blue eyes. “Are you saying we should not trust them?” He asked.

Chris understood; Truug, and undoubtedly the others as well, were taking him for his word. They were really putting trust in him, not his friends. Chris made an internal promise to himself to do everything he could to be worthy of such trust.

“It is late, and we must leave. Bring your friends to our home tomorrow.”

Chris bowed respectfully. Cautiously he approached Truug and licked twice at his jaw, as was customary to do toward an Alpha. Without acknowledgement, as was also customary, Truug turned and walked into the trees, with Grayle and Janna following his lead. As they left, Chris came to the conclusion that he had now met a true, authentic, undisputed Alpha leader of a hybreed pack; one that was followed not out of fear, but out of earned loyalty.

And Chris began to speculate that perhaps he had finally found a pack he could call his own.

#56 2008-07-03 17:24:36

punxnotdead

Very nice encounter, Grayle.
I like the Beta's skepticism at Chris, but Trugg assured them that he and his friends are to be trusted. It makes for a great read that Chris puts so much trust in his friends and that Trugg has the humbleness to agree with Chris and allow them into his home.
Nice dialogue, too, might I add smile
Excellent!!

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#57 2008-07-07 18:57:21

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Here's the next segment. I'm not yet comfortable with Grayle's personality, simply because I have NO idea how to write a practical joker into the scene. Therefore, read this next segment with a grain of salt.
-----------------------

Two visitours to the city of Romberg stood next to the residential wall along the bike path, leaning against it, watching the stars twinkle randomly. The sun had already tucked itself under the horizon for a good night’s sleep, and the moon had begun its climb over the mountains in the east. The tall trees did not block too much of their view, and the tall grass did not leave too many barbs in their clothing. A cool breeze traveled along the path in an eastern direction, slightly confined by the residential wall and the wall to the haunted forest, but was not strong or cold enough to cause discomfort. Breaking the silence of the moment, one of the visitours made a slight snicker and turned toward his companion.

“It was a good idea to meet Jake here, Chris.”

“Why?” asked Chris.

Phillip gestured to the bike path that stretched endlessly from their left to their right. “Landing strip,” he said.

Chris snickered too.

Not very long after, both visitours looked into a disturbance in the night sky. In the west, part of it began to move with undefined distortion, and steadily began to grow with clarity. The shape emerged from the ebony canvass above and glided its way down toward the two friends. Its expansive wings flapped for control as it neared the ground and made contact. Quickly the ebony form darted for the residential wall and took seclusion in the trees and tall grass, making its way toward Chris and Phillip.

“How was the trip?” Phillip asked.

Jake breathed on his fingernails and then brushed them on his chest.

Chris smiled. “Well, now that we’re all here, should we go?”

Hold on, Jake said telepathically to Chris. I need to set my illusion first. He then stood straight and closed his eyes, and began whatever form of meditation he did that caused others to see a normal human instead of a seven-foot mutation.

“Hey Phil,” Chris asked quietly, “How come we never see him as a normal human?”

“Well, we already know what he looks like, so it would be harder to convince us otherwise. But with other people, they’re expecting to see a normal human, so he just helps them out with that misconception.”

“Ah,” Chris said with understanding.

After a few moments, Jake opened his eyes and looked at Chris and Phillip, gave them a thumb’s up, and then they started on their way to 4225 Cottonwood Lane.

The quaint little house now had a dim glow of light spilling out from the gap in the shades, but the outer porch lights were still turned off. The three entered the gate on the porch and closed it behind them, the click of the latch muffled by the rings of the wind chimes. Chris rang the doorbell, and after a few seconds he could hear the sound of bipedal footsteps approaching the door. It opened only a few centimeters, halted by a chain lock, but the clean-shaven face of the blond man, Grayle, sternly gazed at Chris from behind it.

“What’s the password?” He asked.

Chris was somewhat taken back. “Y-you didn’t give me a password.”

“What’s the password?” Grayle insisted.

Chris frantically searched his memory. He was certain that they never mentioned a password last night. Despite the distraction, and the unsettling embarrassment in front of his colleagues, Chris tried to think of a likely password.

“Hybreed,” he offered.

“Try again,” Grayle said without expression.

“Um… werewolf,” he guessed.

“Try again.”

“Uh… Earthlife?”

“Your password will expire in 14 days. Would you like to change it now?”

“Grayle!” called a voice from inside the house.

Grayle sighed. “Hold on,” he said reluctantly. He closed the door to unlock it, and then opened it fully. He halfheartedly gestured for the three visitours to enter.

After a few glances of bemusement were exchanged between the three visitours, they entered the residence. The main room was sparsely furnished with a couch and a pair of matching recliners, and there was not a single decoration displayed upon the walls. The floors were a hardwood floor laminate, and rather clean for what Chris would have expected from three hybreed. A built-in computer terminal sat next to a wall that obviously served as a video monitour as well.

The dark-haired man, Truug, stood steadfast in the middle of the room. His bright eyes probed the three as they entered. Grayle had closed the front door and went over to stand near the entrance to the kitchen. A large wolf, whom Chris had no doubt was Janna in her wolf form, stood at Grayle’s side. She did not take her eyes off of Jake.

Tension soon turned into feelings of awkwardness as the moments of observation on both sides lingered. It was Phillip who was the first to take action.

“Hi, I’m Phillip Alton,” he said as he offered his hand to Truug.

“Joey Malone,” Truug replied neutrally, and shook his hand.

“It’s nice to meet you, Joey. If you don’t mind me asking, is that the name you’d prefer us to address you as?”

Truug’s eyebrow raised with interest. “Truug,” he said succinctly.

“It’s nice to meet you, Truug. That means you must be Richard Linthrop,” Phillip said as he turned to offer his hand to Grayle.

“Grayle,” Grayle corrected him as he shook Phillip’s hand. He then looked down at the wolf at his side, and returned his look to Phillip. Chris noticed that there was a strange look in Grayle’s eyes, an expectant one, and very similar in appearance to Jake’s devious smile. “This is my wife, Janna,” Grayle introduced.

Phillip leaned over and offered his hand to her, just as he did to the others. “Nice to meet you, Janna.”

Janna issued a low growl as she stared at Phillip with a stone-like, unreadable expression. Phillip cautiously retracted his hand.

“She doesn’t trust humans much,” Grayle explained.

“I can understand that,” Phillip said as he stood. “I mean, humans haven’t exactly been nice to wolves over the years, and hybreed avoid us like the plague. I doubt I’d trust me either.”

As all of this was going on, Chris noticed that Truug’s eyes continued to look at Jake, and only periodically shifted toward Phillip. He stared at Jake with intense scrutiny; Jake seemed to notice, and did not seem to be perturbed at all by Truug’s intense gaze.   

Phillip gestured toward his associates. “Well, you already know Chris, and this guy here is Jake Trenton. Just so you know, he doesn’t speak very well, so he uses ASL to communicate. I can translate for him if you don’t know ASL.”

Truug nodded in understanding as he continued to stare at Jake. At that point, Jake signed something.

“He says it’s a big pleasure to meet you, and he thanks you for your trust in us.”

Truug’s gaze upon Jake did not falter. “You are not what you appear to be, are you?” he asked.

Jake brandished that devious smile of his and signed something for Phillip to translate.

“He says ‘neither are the three of you,’” Phillip translated with a smile. “I think he’s referring to the fact that you are in your human and wolf forms, not your hybreed ones.”

Jake nodded a confirmation.

Truug turned to Phillip. “But you are human.”

Phillip shrugged. “So I’m now the minority. I’ve got no problems with that if you don’t.”

Truug cocked his head. “You are very open-minded for a human. You seem to accept our existence easily; you even accept that Grayle and Janna are married.”

“Well, it’s two hybreed that are mated, not a guy and a wolf, right?” Phillip asked in explanation as he turned to Grayle. “Just don’t tell me you two fool around in your current forms, ’cause that’s just gross.”

Chris opened his mouth, gawking in astonishment. He couldn’t believe that Phillip would even attempt to broach that subject. He was about to apologize to their hosts for the comment and rebuke Phillip, but Grayle replied before Chris could do so.

“It’s gross for the both of us too, as well as the rest of our people, so no worries,” he said with a smirk.

“You impress me, Phillip,” Truug said. “You see things with more than just your eyes, but with reason, and without judgment.”

Jake signed something. 

“Why thank you, Jake,” He said, and turned to Truug. “He just said that I’m known for my clairvoyance. Actually, I should probably give credit to Dad for that,” Phillip said as he looked back at Jake, who agreed with a thumb’s up sign.

Chris wondered if Phillip even realized that most would assume he was talking about his genetic father, not their boss, but concluded that the clarification didn’t really matter.

“Besides,” Phillip continued, “I got any culture shock worked out of my system when Chris told us about you guys back at the hotel.” 

Truug looked at Jake, then looked at Phillip, and then looked at Chris. “I find your companions to be as much as a mystery as you are, Graman.”

“Thank you,” Chris said with pride.

Jake signed something to Phillip.

“Ha! Nice one!” Phillip said, and then relayed the message to Chris. “Jake says ‘I guess you could say mystery loves company.’”

Chris smiled and nodded. It was a pun worthy of Phillip. More to his surprise, however, was the fact that Grayle snorted a quick laugh through his nose, and even Truug was smiling.

“Welcome to our home, gentlemen,” Truug greeted. He sat in one of the recliners, and gestured to the couch. “Have a seat.”

#58 2008-07-08 21:13:09

wolfsongx

Just caught up.  I like both sections Grayle.  I enjoyed the Grayle character's humor.  Just the kind of thing that a tech support geek, such as myself, would do to someone.  lol  Very awesome!  Now I wonder what they are going to discuss.  Can't wait for more!

Last edited by wolfsongx (2008-07-08 21:13:46)

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#59 2008-07-09 01:40:50

punxnotdead

I was hoping there was more, but there isn't. I could read this all night.
Anyways, onto the story.
I envy your ability to create such comedy in your story. Grayle's initial response was hilarious, as with Jake's breathing on his claws and wiping them on his chest. Even the little things you add brings so much character to your story.
I like that Philip is able to keep a very open mind and even arouse humor in the conversation.
Also, I think it's suitable that Trugg is able to detect that Jake is different than what he appears. It just seems to fit like a nice puzzle piece.
Let's see if Jake reveals his true identity.
I forgot to add: although you don't provide a large paragraph of description of the interior of the house, I could visualize it very well.
Keep up the awesome work!

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#60 2008-07-10 13:08:07

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thank you, Wolfsong! I'm very glad the humor worked! It was meant to be a mild practical joke, but I think it will work regardless, especially in reference to something a few segments down the road...
And thank you as well, Punx - you're getting to the point where you can predict what happens in the story! I'm not sure if that's a good thing, or a bad thing. Ah, we'll find out. Still, I'm very happy to hear that the humor is working. I can only hope it's as smooth as the humor Niktoma puts in his stories, ya' know? That guy's a master.
Anyway, here's some more.

------------------------------------------------

Chris and Phillip both sat on the couch, and Grayle took the other recliner. Janna occupied the floor next to Grayle’s recliner. Jake continued to stand instead of sitting on the couch with the others, and Grayle noticed.

“Why don’t you take a seat?” He asked.

“Unfortunately your couch won’t accommodate him,” Phillip explained. “When you look at him, what you’re seeing is an illusion. Most chairs and sofas are, well, incompatible with his real form.”

Jake snapped to get Phillip’s attention, and then signed something to him.

“He says he’s willing to shut off the illusion if you’d all like to see what he really looks like.”

“I’d be honoured,” Truug said, and Grayle agreed as well.

Jake looked at Janna, who was looking at him curiously. She was alternating the sides to which her head was cocked as she continued to assess him. Jake lifted both hands to her, palms up.

“Is it okay with you too, Janna?” Phillip asked respectfully.

Unlike any wolf, Janna clearly nodded in human fashion while looking at Jake. Her mouth opened slightly, showing her teeth and tongue, and the corners of her lips were slightly raised as well.

“She’s smiling at you, Jake,” Chris said. “She’s saying that she’d be honoured too.”

“I’d recommend closing your eyes for a second or two,” Phillip explained. “Looking at him when he turns off the illusion can do weird things to a person’s head.”

After a moment, the three hosts followed suit. When they opened their eyes and looked at Jake again, their eyes continued to open even wider with astonishment. Even Janna was visibly in awe. All three hybreed now saw the two-meter-tall cross of man and bat as he truly appeared, with his wings, modified clothing, and that devious smile. Chris found it intriguing to see their different reactions once they could see Jake; it reminded him of the faces he saw staring at him through the laboratory window at Dep:118 when he first changed form in front of everyone.

“Wow,” Grayle said.

“I second that,” Truug replied.

Janna went back to cocking her head as she looked at Jake, and Jake signed something for Phillip to translate. Phillip nodded and relayed the message.

“He says you might as well know; he used to be called The Nightmare of Culmna City.”

“I wondered,” Truug said as he nodded, and then narrowed his eyes and made his next statement warily. “I also find myself wondering if you might have come into existence the same way that our kind did.”

Jake smiled and then signed another message.

“He says it’s a long story, but he’d be happy to tell you some time. Right now, there are more important things to discuss.”

Truug looked at Phillip, and then at Jake. “I agree.” He then turned his attention to Chris. “You said you had a list.”

“Yeah,” Chris agreed. He reached into the side pocket of this cargo pants and extracted a set of folded papers. Grayle stood and received the papers from him. He unfolded the list and looked at it as he brought it to Truug.

“Looks like Yaaren and Rahm are already on here, probably more,” He said as he handed the list to Truug.

Truug looked over all three pages of the list, and then looked at Chris. “Well, your list is definitely accurate,” he reported. “Some of these people we already found from the book of Lost Children. We have taken some of these into the haunted forest, and they have joined packs. But I see many names here that I don’t recognize.”

“Then maybe that information will help you to find the rest. You’re more than welcome to it; I mean, you’ve got more right to it that we do, really, and they’d probably respond to you more than they would to us.”

“How did you come up with this list, anyway?” Grayle asked.

“You’d have to ask Phil on that one,” Chris said.

Phillip responded to the query with pride. “I started with a general search of orphanages, based on the age Chris was when he first shifted form. Then, I narrowed it down to current residents in Romberg. After that I incorporated other abnormalities based on how Chris said he used to live. I added things like stray dog reports, searches on ALAN for werewolves and lycanthropy, patterns in the purchase of clothing and meat, plumbing calls, and a few other parameters.”

“Plumbing calls?” Grayle said with a laugh.

“Yeah; in case they flush all their shed fur, like Chris used to. Personally I’d throw it in the garbage instead of the toilet – it’s much less likely to clog an incinerator, but that’s just my opinion. Anyhow, that list is the final result as of three days ago.” 

Truug’s eyes looked up from the list and focused on Phillip. “In order to get that much detail on Romberg citizens, you would need imperial access to ALAN,” He said skeptically.

Phillip looked over to Chris. “You didn’t tell them?”

“It didn’t come up, and I wasn’t sure if I should say anything anyway,” Chris defended.

“You and your conspiracies…” Phillip groaned with exasperation, and then he looked over at Truug. “Alright; I’d like to explain that for you, but you might be inclined to reject what you’re about to hear. I ask you to please hear us out before you reach a verdict. And to help alleviate any worry, let me tell you something that we tell all of our connections: Your secrets are safe with us, as long as our secrets are safe with you. Now, although we already know the answer is yes, let me officially ask: will our secrets be safe with you?”

Truug stared at Chris for a moment. As he did, his expression made Chris start to think that Truug felt betrayed or tricked. A pang of guilt welled up in Chris, and he felt remorse for not telling Truug about Dep:118. He found himself hoping that Truug would at some point forgive him.

Truug’s gaze then turned to Jake. His expression became unreadable, but then he sighed with acceptance, and again looked at Phillip.

“Your secrets will be safe with us,” he replied.

“Alright, here we go. Jake, Chris and I work for Department 118 of the American Empire. Dep:118 focuses on investigating unexplained phenomena. Our Charter says we ‘explain the unexplained, or at least try to understand it.’ Dep:118 is sub-contracted out to a private party by the name of Doctor Raymond Collins. We’re funded by the Empire, and we’re ultimately accountable to it, but we do not report to it directly. We know of your people, the hybreed, and have even made contact with other hybreed packs. We know that your people mean no harm toward humanity. We know that the Call of the Hybreed is to protect and maintain the Earthlife and, quite frankly, we want the Hybreed to reach that goal.

“Now, about two years ago Chris went to find his parents in the haunted forest. When he came back, he told us of certain hybreed that are in the process of subverting the culture and customs of your people. He believes the source of this subversion is a hybreed known as Raaym. Along with that, my research suggested there were other latent hybreed in Romberg, like Chris. So, we decided to find those others and help them avoid meeting up with Raaym by taking them to other hybreed packs that we already know are true to the calling of your people. When Chris met you and your pack, it provided an even better option. You could find these latent hybreed and teach them the ways of your people before they even get close to Raaym. That would internalize the whole situation and keep it in hybreed hands - or paws, or whatever.”

Tension mixed with the silence hanging in the room, thickening the air with every second that passed and every breath that was not exhaled. Chris could hear his heartbeat pound harder as he looked at Truug, whose thoughtful expression was frozen in time as he tried to process this unexpected outcome. Then Chris noticed that Grayle was staring directly at him with a somber gaze.

“Your friend is right,” Grayle told him, “You should have told us.”

#61 2008-07-10 18:13:27

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Chris tried not to wince as the pang of guilt twisted like a knife into his heart. It was at this time that Truug responded, but his stone expression and his riveted gaze did not change in the slightest.

“Graman held his tongue out of consideration, not deception, Grayle; let him be. What concerns me is that I didn’t consider this possibility myself. I didn’t think that the Empire would take our existence seriously.”

“Technically, the Empire still doesn’t,” Phillip explained. “See, we get all the reports from the Empire that none of the other departments can explain - and some of the ones they just don’t want to deal with, I might add. But as a result, we have thousands of cases dealing with things like ghosts, aliens, werewolves, and things that go ‘bump’ in the night. But guess what? Whether we can explain it or not, the Empire usually doesn’t want to hear about it once they toss it to us.”

Grayle laughed. “So Department 118 is basically the recycle bin of the Empire.”

Jake sternly signed a message at Grayle. When he finished he glared at Grayle with an indignant glow in his eyes. Grayle took on a defensive bearing as he turned and faced Jake. Janna stood on all fours and began to growl as she looked at Jake. Every muscle in Chris’ body grew rigid as Jake stared Grayle down. Grayle again looked at Phillip, hoping for a translation. Phillip closed his eyes, forced a smile, and gave a very rough translation to Jake’s message.

“Jake is a little concerned as to the implications of your analogy.”

Grayle’s eyes widened with understanding as he looked at Jake. “Oh, no; I didn’t mean that in a bad way. I mean, when you think about it, we’re a recycle bin too. We’re looking for the ones that were discarded by our people.” He looked at Phillip again, and looked back at Jake. “Recycle bins are a good thing.”

Jake relented, and bowed his head in acceptance.

Chris let out a long, cleansing exhalation, allowing his heart to slow its pace. However, when he looked over at Truug, he noticed that Truug was looking right back at him, and smiling mildly. Truug’s pale-blue eyes held a soft gleam that told of deep understanding, but it was apparently too deep for Chris to fathom. Finally, Truug spoke.

“Perhaps if Department 118 understood us better, they can help the rest of humanity to understand us better. Am I right?”

All eyes in the room, even Janna’s, looked at Truug.

Chris sat up with affirmation. “That’s exactly how they feel. That’s exactly how I feel.”

Truug’s smile widened as he looked down at the floor. “And yet, you already understand us well enough that you want to help our Lost Children to avoid following the Coyote Way,” and he looked up at Phillip.

Jake again signed something, but without his previous demeanour.

“Oh; well said, Jake!” Phillip replied, and translated for the rest. “He says that we might understand things about your people, but what’s really important is that we believe in the Hybreed. And I agree; we don’t just know that you exist, but we also know why and for what purpose. And Truug, I’m speaking for the entire Department when I say: you got our vote.”

Truug raised his head in a way that almost bestowed him with regal authority. He looked over at Jake, who solemnly nodded in confirmation. Truug then stood from his recliner and approached Phillip. Phillip and Chris stood in response. Finally, Truug offered his hand to Phillip.

“Then on behalf of my pack, I thank you, and I call you our friends.”

Phillip accepted the gesture with the utmost respect. Grayle offered his hand to Jake with a verbal apology about the earlier  misunderstanding, and Jake gave him an assuring thumb’s up sign. Chris also noticed that Janna had approached Jake, and Jake reached down to pet her. Janna accepted the affection with a hybreed smile on her lupine face.

Truug put his hand on Chris’ arm in appreciation, and then changed the subject.

“Now, Graman; what can you tell us about Raaym?”

#62 2008-07-11 01:15:50

punxnotdead

I had to read this before I went to bed. It was practically calling my name.
Anyways, as always, I enjoyed the segment. The dialogue flowed very nicely and gave enough understanding for the reader. I liked how phillip explained the Dep 118 and towards the end, the tension. I could almost feel it.
I'm anticipating more.
(Sorry for my short reply, I'm sooooo tired)

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#63 2008-07-12 00:14:26

wolfsongx

Very nice.  Long but nice.  I like the way the whole forming an alliance scene has played out.  Great stuff buddy!

#64 2008-07-15 16:27:12

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thank you both very much!
Here's a little more of what I've been able to get ready. I think I have a better handle on the Grayle character in this segment, but tell me if it doesn't fit.

----------------------------------

The soft earth met his paws after every lunge as he ran. The aromas from a thousand sources all around him filled his nostrils. The mild thunder of sixteen paws carrying four hybreed bodies met his ears. The sight of three hybreed, wearing more traditional hybreed attire than his own, darted in and out of his immediate range of vision. The taste of oxygen-enriched air met his lolling tongue. And then The Call of the Hybreed met his heart. Chris relished in feeling more alive than ever as he ran through the haunted forest with Truug’s pack.

It was decided that the issues which Chris was privy to must be divulged to a new fledgling colony in the haunted forest, residing in an area called 'the gorge'. Janna told Chris of the time about five years ago when a group of human soldiers ventured into the haunted forest, attacked and disbanded the colony that existed at the time, and then vanished without a trace. After that time, the hybreed packs that were left fell into anarchy and began fighting for territory; they even encroached upon the territory of the Lords of the Forest. It was Luumen and a hybreed legend known as Shaman who realized the truth of the fighting: there were many hybreed who longed for the community that the colony offered. The source of the fighting was superficially over territory, but truthfully over creating a new colony. A decision was reached to attempt another colony almost two years ago. With this new colony, they also decided to reshape the treatment of shifters, making them equal to all other hybreed. In fact, with the encouragement of Truug and those in his pack, the Colony chose to disregard the Omega clan altogether. Needless to say, Chris was very interested in this decision.

Yet the mysterious group of soldiers that caused the destruction of the first colony was a source of concern for Chris, as well as Phillip and Jake. Not only did this explain the choice of the colony’s secluded location, but also why Truug and his pack were initially so wary of Dep:118. When Phillip and Jake heard about this, they both agreed to ask Dad for an investigation into the matter of these mystery soldiers. However, both agreed to stay behind in Romberg for the time being and keep the appointments with the potential hybreed in the city, as well as find out what they could about The Howlers. The pack would accompany Chris to the gorge, to warn them about the proximity of those that follow the Coyote Way, and discuss what they could do concerning the issue.

Chris had not been in the current area of the haunted forest before, so the surroundings were unfamiliar to him. It was apparently Grayle who appreciated the latter fact the most. At one point, while Chris was attempting to catch up to the others, he barely missed a large branch that suddenly took a swing at him, and he caught sight of Grayle running out from behind the assailing cedar. At another point, Chris lost track of the others. Grayle ‘hospitably’ guided him to the others, but did so in the wrong direction, disappeared and watched in secret to see if Chris would find his way back on his own. However, Grayle underestimated Chris’ tracking capabilities, and Chris returned to the others well before Grayle did. Upon his return Grayle was firmly asked by Truug to ‘knock it off,’ to which Chris reported that he already tried to do that with the branch. This earned a chuff-like laugh from Grayle, who then agreed to compose himself more appropriately as they continued. 

They soon approached a large, deep cut in the Earth, perhaps a kilometer wide and several kilometers long, covered in trees. Truug led them to an edge that offered a narrow trail into the gorge, but before beginning the climb, Truug stopped the pack. He stood on his hind legs and let out a long howl to announce their arrival. Staying on all fours, both Grayle and Janna joined him, and finally Chris did as well. Without warning, Chris began to sense movement from all over the gorge. As he finished his howl, he spied his own people everywhere, hundreds of them, spread throughout the area. They had been there all the time, only hiding at the approach of visitours.

Another hybreed appeared in front of the pack, from what seemed to be thin air, and approached on all fours. She had a thick, gray coat that faded into white on her underside, similar to common wolf markings. A gray mask surrounded her pale green eyes that inspected Truug’s pack, and then halted on Chris.

“You have come with yet another pupil for Luumen?” She asked in the hybreed language as Truug lowered to all fours again.

“No, Ren, but we have come to see Luumen.” Truug looked behind him at Chris, and then back at Ren. “This is Graman.”

Ren cocked her head as she looked over at Chris with curiosity. “Luumen has spoken of you,” she stated. Afterward she drew closer to Chris and sniffed his head, and when she was satisfied, she turned again to Truug. “Come,” She offered, and began down the trail into the gorge.

Ren led them down the winding trail. Chris identified that the trail would be nearly impassable for human travelers without extenuating equipment. They soon reached a large flat rock face on the bank of a pool that was at the bottom of the gorge, and there they waited as Ren went to find Luumen.

Chris suddenly realized that it had been nearly a year and a half since he had last seen Luumen. It was Luumen who taught him to life-link, to find a hybreed name for his self, and even to respect the Lords of the Forest. He learned many of the inherent customs of his people from Luumen, which greatly helped him in making first contact with Raaym’s tribe. The fondness for the gentle teacher that rested within Chris woke peacefully from the nudging of his memories, and Chris found himself looking forward to seeing the old one again.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-07-16 12:21:34)

#65 2008-07-15 17:32:26

werer
Sniffer
Website

Now that is a good addition, I really like it, it has that... feel to it. Like that family comfort feel.

There's a method to my madness, and a madness to my method.
When you feel your skin startin' to itch, and your senses start to reel, it's werewolf time!
*Sniff sniff* I smell art! big_smile

#66 2008-07-18 19:55:55

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thank you very much, Werer!
Here's the next segment, but it's kinda long. Beware. Hopefully it continues with the family atmosphere, but I'm not sure it does.

---------------------------------------

From off in the distance, a howl echoed through the gorge. Chris watched as Truug, Grayle and Janna all perked at the howl, looked at each other and smiled. Truug then answered the howl with one of his own, and the other two joined him. Chris was not sure if he should join as well; he did not get any indication from any of the three that this was something in which he should participate, so Chris refrained for this time.

Moments later another hybreed approached, running at full speed. He slowed when he arrived near the four of them, but made it a point to crash into Grayle in order to come to a complete halt. Both Grayle and Janna playfully nipped at him in reply, and then he approached Truug and licked him under his chin and on his cheek. Truug accepted the gesture. It then became obvious to Chris that this new hybreed was another member of Truug’s pack, but did not stay with them in Romberg. The only reason that Chris could think of for this hybreed not staying with them was if he could not shift form.

“Have you been well, Garrem?” Truug asked.

“Very well!” The other hybreed, Garrem, replied while wagging his tail. “The colony is growing strong. Finding food was becoming a challenge, but Luumen and Rahg have shown us how to harvest gifts from the Earthlife. I have been helping with the hunt, and so has Yaaren.”

“That is wonderful news, Garrem!” Truug said happily.

Garrem meekly smiled as he put his head down. He was a slender hybreed with a dark brown coat, fading into white under his neck and muzzle. His front paws also appeared to be dipped in white. His ears were taller on his head than with Truug and Grayle; they were relatively similar to the ears of Janna and Chris himself. His eyes were a dull brown in colour, but full of life nonetheless. By Garrem’s actions alone, it became clear to Chris that he was at one time an Omega, yet Truug treated him like a respected member of the pack, and so did Grayle and Janna.

Garrem looked at Chris and approached with placid caution, taking in Chris’ scent with repeated sniffs. Truug and the others did not attempt to rebuke his actions, as was a common reaction to an Omega’s assertiveness, but even encouraged it. Chris already knew that Truug’s pack discarded the traditional treatment of Omega clan, and even the clan itself, so this acceptance was understandable despite its abnormality. Chris chose to accept Garrem as a pack member instead of an Omega; he reciprocated Garrem’s greeting as Truug looked on in admiration.

“Are you one of the Lost Children?” Garrem asked.

“He is,” Janna answered for Chris. “This is Graman.”

Garrem approached Chris even closer. He then hunched down, hopped once on his front paws, and hunched again. Though he had not seen it in over a year, Chris recognized the action as an offer to play. In response, Chris pounced toward Garrem, attempting a nip at his shoulder. He chased Garrem in a circle around the others; Janna quickly joined, and then Grayle. And Chris found himself feeling like he was where he should be, and that he belonged.

The feeling was tempered as Truug growled to calm them down. When he looked toward the cliff wall behind them, Chris understood why Truug was cutting their play short. Slowly approaching them was an older hybreed; he had a light gray coat frosted with charcoal. His ears were lower, like with Truug and Grayle, but his green eyes shone with wisdom and maturity. Though his posture told of his age, he still moved with a confidence that resonated of leadership. Chris recognized him at once; it was Luumen.

Truug slowly approached the elder with the others following behind him. He licked the cheek of the elder hybreed in respect, but also made sure to keep his head below Luumen’s head position. The others took their turn in greeting Luumen. Chris was the last to do so, and as he did, Luumen’s eyes widened with recognition.

“I am pleased to see you, Graman.”

Chris bowed his head with respect, but also held his ears back, indicating a feeling of trepidation.

“The last I heard of you, it was said that you were with a new tribe deep in the haunted forest. But now I find that you have been brought here, and by Truug’s pack.” His eyes narrowed, but not in an accusing fashion. “I cannot help but wonder why.”

Chris looked at the ground for a moment before responding. He knew it was not meant, but Luumen’s inquiry made a pang of guilt wash over him. Once he distilled the feeling, Chris responded.

“I discovered the fate of my parents. My father is dead, and my mother became a lone wolf. She has not been seen for many years. I was part of that tribe for many months, but what I found in the tribe was much more unpleasant than fallen family.”

Luumen cocked his head in curiosity, as did Garrem, but Chris was finding it difficult to make the report to Luumen. He began to feel as though his inexperience gave him no right to make the claim that brought him here. As a compassionate leader, Truug put his name behind Chris’ claim by reporting it for him.

“The tribe is led by an Alpha called Raaym. It appears he leads his tribe in following the Coyote Way.”

Luumen’s eyes shot at Truug with both anger and surprise. “You are certain of this?”

Truug nodded. “Graman’s tale speaks of little love for the Earthlife, and even less for fellow hybreed. When the tribe discovered that he could shift, they treated him worse than any Omega, and Raaym encouraged this treatment.”

Luumen looked downward disappointedly, but it was Garrem who growled out loud and earned the attention of everyone. Garrem’s eyes held a ferocity that Chris never would have expected from his earlier disposition.

“He was once an Omega before Truug found him,” Janna explained. “He will no longer tolerate that kind of mistreatment upon anyone.”

Chris nodded in understanding, looked at Garrem supportively, and then looked back toward Luumen, who had sat down on the rock slab. Truug sat next to him, and the others sat with them, forming a circle. Finally, Luumen turned to Chris once more.

“Tell us what you know, Graman,” he said.

Graman proceeded to tell them about meeting up with the tribe and being accepted as a guest. He told the tribe that he was looking for his parents, and they identified him as one of the Lost Children. He was accepted by the tribe graciously at first; he lived, moved, and hunted with the tribe for many months, and was even on his way to becoming one of the Hunter clan. Then, one of them asked about his past.

He told them about what he learned about the hybreed from Dep:118, and they became suspicious. Once he admitted that he was a shifter, he was brought in front of the rest of the tribe by force and made an Omega without question. Any extra belongings he had were taken away. Any information about Hybreed heritage or understanding that was different from their own knowledge was summarily revoked, and his word was never trusted again. He was forced to den with the other Omegas, who were in a constant distraught state. He was persecuted and even beaten. He was barely fed and never allowed to speak unless told to reply. He was prisoner and slave, and labeled as less than hybreed. He was told that if he did not accept his fate, he would be following the Coyote Way and would be treated even worse.

Finally one night, under the cover of an angry storm, Chris made a desperate escape in which the other Omegas refused to participate. He made his way to the domain ruled by the Lords of the Forest and received permission to cross. When he made it to the great wall at last, the hunters of the tribe caught up with him and mocked him, calling him Coyote. Raaym was leading them, and warned Chris that he would be labeled as an Omega in any tribe. When Chris tested the claim the Alpha banished him, and his return was on pain of death.   

As Chris finished his tale, the air only held the sounds of the forest. Each hybreed in the circle endured an uncomfortable silence as they digested the things that Chris relayed to them, as well as their meaning.

Suddenly Janna began to issue a long, mournful howl. Garrem joined her, followed by Grayle, Truug, and Luumen. Chris was so moved by the compassionate action that he joined in the howling also. As he did, he felt the howl begin to purge him of all the frustration, dismay, anger and distress that he had been repressing over what the tribe did to him. Tears began to stream from his burning eyes, and his limbs began shaking with the turmoil from his emotions. The howling became even louder as many other hybreed joined in, hearing the sorrow upon the wind and voicing their sympathies.

#67 2008-07-19 22:05:08

wolfsongx

Grayle I just caught up and that was fabulous.  The last bit is making me cry.  I loved how you wrote the play scene, even if it was short.  Very awesome!

#68 2008-07-23 14:49:30

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thank you very much, Wolfsong!I may expand the play sequence later on, but I definitely wanted to add it to show more of a lupine nature manifesting in the creatures. I think it also adds to the feeling of community and acceptance that we all look for. It's kinda too bad that Truug <EDITED FOR SPOILERS> and Chris has to <EDITED FOR SPOILERS>, but in the long run, I think it's for the best.

Okay, I finally repaired what I lost. For those who don't know, I wrote a few new pages of the story and the only copy I had got corrupted and deleted as I was attempting to back it up. Needless to say, I was rather angry, and I don't like myself when I'm angry. (Ha, ha.) I was able to remember, retrieve, and revitalize a chunk of it, but there was a lot lost, so this may be the last segment for a while as I decide what to do next.   
  As a result, this is what I have up to now. I hope you enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Not long after the howling Chris noticed many hybreed began to draw near, surrounding the circle created by Trug's pack, Luumen, and Chris himself. The approaching hybreed came from the cliff wall, the trees along the varied ledges in the gorge, and even from the stream, shaking their selves dry before they drew near. The hybreed that guided the pack to the bottom of the gorge, Ren, came close and sat behind Janna. Many other hybreed emulated her example, surrounding the circle with a crowd of hybreed onlookers, intent on learning about the source of the anguish they heard in the howling.

Soon after, the gathering crowd divided to make way for thee older ones who approached, no doubt leading elders in the colony. The elders took note and sniffed the members of the circle as they made their way around, and each member reciprocated the action along with licks of cheek and jaw when appropriate. Without further word or inquiry, the three elders took seat in the circle where there was room. They did not ask any to leave the circle, but simply joined the meeting. Apparently, the howling signaled that an important matter needed to be addressed, and their arrival marked the council as officially in session. After introductions were made, Truug took it upon himself to summarize the issues at hand for the new attendees. Who growled and groaned in response to the explanation.

“You must know, Graman, that this is not our way,” Luumen explained. “It is not our way to treat our own people with such contempt and loathing.   No hybreed pack that knows better would treat our own like what you describe.”

“I know that now; it is why we believe that Raaym leads the tribe in following the Coyote Way. Like you say, many of them may not know that the way they follow is wrong; they may not have been taught any other way. Others in the tribe may also be following out of fear, and not by choice.”

“It does not matter!” Garrem said, his growl under his statements making his words rough. “This sickness must be put to an end, or others will fall prey to it!”

“I agree with Garrem,” Truug assured him calmingly, “but we cannot do it with our pack alone. Raaym’s tribe would overpower us. They might try to label us Coyote as well, and use it as an excuse to destroy us. We must have greater numbers in order to persuade them to listen to us.”

“I have reservations as to whether that persuasion is necessary,” Said a female hybreed elder named Gorra. “There are many who would say our colony already follows the Coyote Way, since we do not have an Omega Clan. What right do we have to call this other tribe Coyote?”

“Raaym’s tribe is using the letter of the law to undermine the principles of it,” Grayle said. “That sounds Coyote to me.”

“Indeed,” Luumen replied, “but Gorra’s question is valid. We do not have a law to enforce on this tribe. They are merely required to follow the lead of their Alpha, as with all hybreed. We do not have the authority to impugn them with restrictions.”

“If what Graman tells us stands true,” started another Hybreed elder, a male named Rahg, “then it is the source of the sickness that must be dealt with, not merely the symptoms. Removing the Alpha will remove the sickness, as well as any who make their own choice to continue following him.”

“Then who would lead their tribe?” Ren asked from the surrounding crowd, and those in the circle turned to face her. 

“It would depend of if there was a tribe left,” Luumen replied. “They could be added to our Colony, or they could create their own packs. But this is not an issue of territory or leadership. This is an issue of behaviour, and treatment of others. If we remove their Alpha, will they follow our way, or revert to the Coyote Way?”

“I say again,” Gorra emphasized, “we do not have the right or the authority to convert them to our way of life!”

“The right to enforce this derives from our responsibility, not our authority,” Truug replied. The rest of the circle gave their attention to the ebony-furred hybreed.

“What do you mean?” Gorra asked.

Truug paused before he continued.

“As hybreed, we seek to find the best of man and wolf, and make those qualities our own. What Raaym and his pack impose on others is not from the best qualities of man or wolf. It comes from that which our people choose to reject, and is therefore part of the Coyote Way. If allowed to continue, it will corrupt many others and divide our people, destroying the balance between wolf and man that makes us who we are. It is our duty and our responsibility to root out this behaviour and replace it with the qualities that we embrace, the qualities that define our people. We must do this for the sake of those in Raaym’s tribe, for my pack, for those in this colony, for the sake all our people. We must do this for the sake of what it truly means to be hybreed. That is what gives us the right and even the authority to stop Raaym and his tribe from following the Coyote Way.”

The importance of Truug’s words churned through the murmurs of the circle and the surrounding crowd. Chris watched as they all pondered over his statements, digesting the information into their minds. Then, he caught sight of both Luumen and Grayle looking at Truug not with admiration, but with concern. It seemed so out of place as a reaction to the points he made that Chris could not help but ask about it.

“Forgive me, Luumen, but it appears as though you have difficulty with all that Truug has said,” Chris noted.

“You are very observant, Graman,” Luumen confirmed, “But I believe Truug is already aware of my concerns.” With that, he turned his attention to Truug. “If you go through with this, Truug, are you prepared to face the consequences?”

All eyes of the circle and the surrounding crowd once again focused on the ebony hybreed. Truug took a breath, thought for a moment, and then nodded before he gave his answer.

“If Raaym’s tribe survives him and requires a new Alpha, then I will become their Alpha. I was the last pupil of Shaman before he left on his hunt for knowledge. I will take what he taught me and give it to the tribe, as I have already done with my own pack. My pack will become part of the tribe until we are no longer required by the tribe.”

Once again, the murmurs of the crowd increased. There was definitely more to this matter, and even Truug himself, than Chris was aware of.

“Are you sure?” Grayle asked. “The Alphas of the packs in that tribe won’t like an outsider taking over. They will constantly try to take the position from you.”

“Perhaps,” Truug replied, “but they may also leave with Raaym. If they stay in the tribe to lead their packs, I believe the loyalty and protection that you, Janna, and Garrem provide will be more than enough to dissuade them, at least at first. It should give me time to earn their loyalty through example.”

“It is very rare that endeavours like this are so simple, Truug,” Rahg warned him.

“I understand; and if the challenges of leading this tribe span beyond my reach, I can appeal to the Colony for assistance, can I not?”

One by one, the elders in attendance agreed with the fallback plan.   

“And what of the Lost Children in the city, Truug?” asked Ren.

Truug looked at Ren for a moment, and then fixed his gaze upon Chris. “My pack now has friends whom we trust to continue with that project in our absence.”

Chris nodded in agreement, and with pride. “Agreed,” he confirmed.

The lucid sounds of the gorge were overpowered by a piercing howl from a distant group of hybreed. In complete unison, all in attendance swiveled their ears and then looked in the direction of the source. By the pitch and tone alone, Chris could tell it was the call from a hunting party, returning with a component of what would become the night’s meal. Members of the Harvester Clan answered the howl with their own, signifying that their portion of the meal was ready and awaiting the arrival of the hunting party’s contribution. The howls and their significance brought a casual end to the council session, and the elders agreed to discuss the details after any growing pangs of hunger were silenced.

#69 2008-07-27 02:19:38

punxnotdead

What an enthralling read, Grayle. I apologize for not replying earlier. I didn't see the updates.
Anyways, I love the amiable atmosphere you provide for Chris and how accepting all of the hybreed are. Though initially cautious, they warmed up to him very quickly.
I loved how you described Garrams anger towards hearing about the mistreatment of omegas. It fits very well with his past.
The descriptions of the fur and each werewolf was superbly described. Each hybreed has very different physcial features to help distinguish them, unlike other werewolf-related books I read where they all appear the same.
Also, you are very good with your characters and helping to ensure there are no inconsistencies or unanswered questions in your story.
I'm sorry to hear your story was deleted. Knowing me, I'd probably hurl my laptop through the window.
I hope you retrieve your story sad

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#70 2008-07-27 23:40:42

LoupGarouAngel
Website

yikes
So,let me first apologize for not posting in forever,I have no excuse as to why I have not been following this amazing piece of work!Grayle,your work is truly phonomenal(I think that's spelled wrong but i'm to tired to check...)and truly takes the reader into the story.I love it.

" Suddenly Janna began to issue a long, mournful howl. Garrem joined her, followed by Grayle, Truug, and Luumen. Chris was so moved by the compassionate action that he joined in the howling also. As he did, he felt the howl begin to purge him of all the frustration, dismay, anger and distress that he had been repressing over what the tribe did to him. Tears began to stream from his burning eyes, and his limbs began shaking with the turmoil from his emotions. The howling became even louder as many other hybreed joined in, hearing the sorrow upon the wind and voicing their sympathies."

No words can describe how amazing this scene is,so full of emotion and REAL LIFEness(don't care if that's not a word)...It's impossible to find in half the books I read,and it's just wonderful to see such greatness!big_smile

"You're like one of those lab rats that hits the pleasure button instead of the food until it dies!" Sam-Houses of the Holy.
"Dude, you Fugly." Dean-Scarecrow.
A therian who's a wanna be screenwriter, but doesn't have a life story that fits the bill...
http://loupgarouangel.deviantart.com/

#71 2008-07-28 11:08:00

wolfsongx

I like the new section Grayle.  I can feel the tension and worry while everyone is discussing how to handle Raaym.  I can't wait to see what comes next.  big_smile

#72 2008-07-28 18:06:58

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

lol   Man, you guys are gonna make me blush like BlueEyesWolf!

Loup, it's truly an honour to get such compliments from such a talented writer. I constantly look forward to reading updates on your material, and always will. I'm very happy to hear that the sympathy of the pack resounds for the reader and maybe tugs at a few heartstrings as well.

Thank you for the encouragement, Punx! I am in the process of re-writing what I lost, but it's slow-going. Since you know more about this story than just about any other reader, I'm very pleased to hear you say that my characters are solid in description and characteristics - it means a whole heck of a lot, and thank you.

Thank you very much, Wolfsong! It's wonderful to hear that the tension of the council session could be felt by the reader. I've always had a feeling like my story is all talk and no action, but if the proper emotions are taken in by the reader, then perhaps it's worthwhile in the long run.

Speaking of long run....

-----------------------------------------------

It was late in the morning when Truug led his pack deeper into the haunted forest. They were joined by fifteen other hybreed, effectively on loan from the Colony and practically making their numbers large enough to be a small tribe of their own. They followed the foot of the mountain that humans referred to as Mount Sequoia, moving south and east, crossing areas that were becoming more familiar to Chris. They eventually reached the vein of the Earthlife’s blood that Chris used to escape. It had returned to its previous size and was therefore easily crossed. From that point, Truug began to rely more heavily on directions from Chris, as Truug had not been through this part of the forest before. As they continued it became apparent to all in the troupe that this area was not as tame as the territory of the Colony. The chill from the mountain range brushed the area with frigid drafts, and felt like a promise of bleak danger upon the troupe.

It was not too long after crossing the stream that they could begin to smell the marked boundaries of the tribe. Janna noted that this was odd, as most tribes did not need to set out territorial markings due to their consisting of two or more packs living in harmony. The only reason for the markings in this area would be to warn others, keeping them away from their claimed land. It was a rather reclusive action for a tribe, but it did not pose too much of a concern about the tribe’s practices. What they began to find after entering the tribe’s domain, however, filled all members of the troupe with darkened alarm.

Their trek came upon the carcass of a bear. The scent of hybreed was upon the carcass, as well as markings from a hybreed attack. Further on they found the remains of a deer, heavily decomposed. The troupe became unsteady as they realized that the body reeked of dried urine from three different hybreed. Chris, however, did not fully understand why the action was so revolting, and inquired as to its significance. Janna was kind enough to provide an explanation.

“When our people are finished feeding on a kill, we howl to the rest of the creatures in the forest, so they may help themselves to whatever is left. It is our gift to them as we tend the Earthlife. But these hybreed polluted the kill by urinating upon it. They have made it unfit to eat by any creature, let alone hybreed.”

Chris looked at the remains with astonishment. “Why would they do such a thing?”

“Because they wished to be cruel,” Grayle answered with condemnation. “It would be just as well if they spat in the face of the Earthlife itself.”

The next hour was spent at a slow pace, with bitter thoughts looming in the minds of the entire troupe. Soon they found a half-eaten carcass of an elk with the faint scent of hybreed upon it. At Truug’s command Janna, Grayle, and a few of the others investigated the fallen animal. When they returned to the rest of the troupe, their disposition was full of distaste.

“Tell me,” Truug commanded.

“The elk was killed by a pack of our people,” Janna reported, “but it was not fed upon by them. The marks of wounding and death are hybreed, but the marks of feeding are from smaller animals.”

“It was killed less than a day ago,” another hybreed added, the feelings of revulsion quivering in his body language.

“Whoever did this was not after food,” Grayle concluded. As he looked directly at Truug, his green eyes steadily burned with both angst and disgust. 

As far as Chris knew, a hybreed would only kill for food or protection. There was no way an elk would present a danger to any hybreed, and the party reported that the hybreed who did this refrained from feeding upon their kill. “That means they killed the elk for sport,” Chris said with astonishment.

“Or simply for pleasure,” Truug added. He looked into the eyes of each of the troupe as he made his conclusion with solid conviction growling under his words. “Graman’s tale warranted a closer look, but now we have seen the evidence for ourselves. Those who did this may look like us, but they <CAN> no longer be called hybreed. Whatever we find, we all must remember that.” He again looked onto the eyes of all present, instilling his conviction into their minds, and then continued walking toward the east with the rest of the troupe in his wake.

Finally a howl was heard in the distance. It was not a howl of warning or defense, as would be customary when encroachers on hybreed territory were detected, but it was a howl of gathering. They were gathering to face the encroachers without warning them first. Again, this was not the hybreed way. Truug halted the company, and then picked out any hybreed who were more adept at fighting. He assigned them all positions on the outside of the group. Those on the interior were told to keep close watch on the distant surroundings, and those on the outside were to pay closer attention to the more immediate vicinity.

“Everyone be on your guard,” Truug commanded. “This tribe may attack with as little warning as possible. There is no reason to believe they will respect any customs or traditions of our people. Graman, are there any large clearings nearby?”

Considering the possible conflict at hand, Chris found it to be no surprise when Truug asked this. He thought for a moment, and looked around to get his bearings, and then pointed his nose to the north. “There is a clear area at the top of a plateau, perhaps two to three kilometers from here,” he reported.

Truug looked at Janna, who looked in the direction of the howling and then returned her gaze to her Alpha. “If we make haste, we will have time,” she stated.

“Then haste is what we shall make. Grayle, Janna, Garrem and Moorg: take positions in the rear to assist any who may fall behind. Graman, stay with me to point the way. Let’s keep our eyes alert and our feet light, my friends! Nose to the Wind!”

The traditional adage that Truug ended his statement with won soft grunts of approval from many in the troupe. They all followed Truug on a fierce pace to the plateau with a focused zeal; and as they did another howl, one of hunting, echoed far off in the distance with more voices joining in, bringing fire to their legs and chills to their spines.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-10-02 19:49:12)

#73 2008-07-29 02:14:41

punxnotdead

Very enthralling read, Grayle. I could practically feel the tension in the air and I'm practically gripping my chair awaiting what will happen. Will there be a big brawl amongst the packs? Or will there only be a brawl amongst Trugg and Raaym? You've got me glued to the seat and in anticipation for more. I can feel the climax of this scene coming and either way you decide to take it, I know it will be an extremely well-executed scene.
I am eagerly waiting for more as soon as you can!!

On a side note, I thought I'd point out a little spelling error. It's funny how they always catch my eye in others' stories but not my own hmm
"Those who did this may look like us, but they cane no longer be called hybreed. Whatever we find, we all must remember that.”

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#74 2008-07-29 10:20:39

wolfsongx

OH BOY!  I feel a fight scene coming on!  big_smile

#75 2008-07-29 17:58:50

werer
Sniffer
Website

man this story has been so well thought through, all these ideas and ideals incorporated so that it creates a different world, gripping every reader and shaking them and leaving them wanting more. I just wish I could plan as much as you evidently have. Keep going, I can't wait to read more!

There's a method to my madness, and a madness to my method.
When you feel your skin startin' to itch, and your senses start to reel, it's werewolf time!
*Sniff sniff* I smell art! big_smile

Board footer